Mouse war! A DDD epic.

Comments

• Buy Snickers, eat Snickers and do what Mr T says!
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    When i was a student in Colchester we had a 2ft long pouch rat turn up in our house. These things are huge with fangs to boot, the gambians use them to hunt out land mines.

pouch_rat.JPG

It was obvious it was a pet but christ all mighty when that thing came out the shadows the whole flat screamed like a bunch of girlies.

Was perfectly tame and was returned to the owner eventually.

Rats are cool.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    DDD, before you 'nuke' the house, take the bikes out first !!!!
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    bleedy hell, I thought Jake could be a wuss, but at least he can tackle a mouse :lol:

DDD, four letters for you, make of them what you will. MTFU! :roll:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    hatbeard wrote:
    When I had a mouse running amok in my flat I caught it in quite possibly the most nefarious way ever.

I noticed it had been climbing up on the breakfast table in the kitchen (as evidenced by the droppings and half chewed loaf of bread my flatmate had left out) so I knew it was capable of getting up there somehow.

I then found out that mice apparently go nuts for jam of all things.

So I took the bin bag out of my swing top bin and left the lid off the top, then I cut a carrier bag along the side and laid it carefully across the top of the bin. I then put a big dollop of jam in the middle and moved the bin so it was just far away from the table that the mouse would have to make a small jump to get to it. I then retired to bed for the evening with a sense of anticipation of the trap being sprung previously known only to wile e. coyote.

first thing in the morning I went into the kitchen and immediately saw the bin bag was sloping down slightly into the bin. I checked and indeed down in the bottom there it was.

I transferred it to a homemade carrying device, took it a very long way away and released it into a park.

Mice 0 - Hatbeard 1

now I have one of those sub-sonic deterrents in the kitchen and haven't had any further problems.

In an unusual turn of events it would seem that the mice have take to glorifying me with an appeasement in the form of one of their own on the anniversary of the 'great battle'.

came down this morning to find a dead mouse laid out 'sacrificial' style right in the middle of the lower plynth of my fireplace in the living room which I can only assume they have adopted as an altar.

there wasn't any signs of a struggle so I can only assume he gave his life willingly, so that I may show compassion and kindness to the rest of his people.

I shall not.

Mice 0 - Hatbeard 2
    Hat + Beard
  • :lol:

Maybe he's a martyr, or hoping for seven lady mice in the kingdom of mousey heaven or something.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    You are all cruel. Mice will have their revenge!

10152004cute_mouse-784571.jpg
  • my brother and I chased the wee bugger in last flat into a poster tube with a cover at one end.

him, a balcony and the physics to do with a swinging tube and projectile took care of the rest...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    neiltb wrote:
    big jessie.

indeed in CA you guys get to worry about owls big enough to carry off your cat, cats big enough to eat your dog and Bears to kill any else left standing hell even the racoons are hard as nails
    .....and we worried about Mice? we killed and ate all the interesting stuff in this country long ago
    - My brother had the right idea and moved to NZ now he gets to play with good stuff:

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5745572/

Your brother's dog looks funny.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Are you sure these are mice?

And not Pan-dimensional beings:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/guide/mice.shtml
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    We had mice in the house on & off for a bit when we were in-between cats. Traps with cheese managed the situation, but where I live it's ongoing.
    I found rat droppings in the shed, too, but no sign in the house.
    Currently we have three cats in residence, backed up by two dogs. We occasionally get a live rodent that's got away for a bit but they don't last long... If they look as if they might recover I'll take them back outside, if they are healthy enough they run off, otherwise the crows get them. I like to think that's pretty quick.
    The rat evidently moved out.. they arn't stupid.
    The roll call of the recently deceased is longer- mice & voles, small birds, the occasional mole, rabbits of varying size... Recently we've had two squirrels (Grey, I'm relieved to say, I'd be mortified if they got a Red).
    Bats are more of a problem. The cats can't fly; the dogs try hard but tend to do some damage whilst failing (if anyone ever genetically engineers an Airedale with wings, I'd like to see it... from a distance...). Usually I can just open the window wide and let them find their way out, but sometimes they need more help. This is tricky 'cos they are protected (and can carry rabies).

Mice? Hah!

Cheers,
    W.
    PS. I killed a scorpion with a Lonely Planet once. Didn't fancy spending the night with it in the room...
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    My two dogs have regularly eaten toads (resulting in epic amounts of mouth foam) and will never pass up on a wasp (we call them 'spicy flies' in my house)

One of the dogs once managed to get a blackbird in the garden of my last house - in seconds the roof was black with them and the air thick with them dive-bombing the dog - astonishing. Although proof of their learned intelligence is that blackbirds on the roof of the house or wires within line of sight would disappear if you walked between house and garage with an air rifle. No, I didn't shoot at them but somebody must have been and they actually recognise what an air rifle is...... :shock:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Seems we had a mouse recently, notice DDD "had"

I left it/them a tasty treat, not the kind you'd give to the children, well perhaps!?

Anyway tomorrow will tell who won this round.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • hatbeard
    itboffin wrote:
    Seems we had a mouse recently, notice DDD "had"

I left it/them a tasty treat, not the kind you'd give to the children, well perhaps!?

Anyway tomorrow will tell who won this round.

are you sure you left the d-lock at a station after all?

be extra wary for a few days for the sudden appearance of your d-lock in close proximity to any very large tightly coiled springs, them mice can be canny little gits. just look at tom & jerry.
    Hat + Beard
  • itboffin
    day three mice still eating the poison, perhaps this poison is man enough for the job. Lets see now .... :twisted:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    day three mice still eating the poison, perhaps this poison is man enough for the job. Lets see now .... :twisted:
    Nah, they're proabably gonna get all Nietzsche on your ar$e...
    That%27s_A_Big_Mouse.jpg
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    The guns fall silent over the battle field

Mice 0 / itboffin +1

:twisted:
  • As you can no longer see or hear them....... Lay out large bowls on the floor, fill the bowls to the brim with water, watch the bowls for ripples. They may have begun undermining your walls! Mice are a cunning and determined foe.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • lol, scared of a mouse. They're just a warm up, well not really...

We get mice and the occassionale rat in the garden because of the rabbit and the food that goes with them.

What I do is leave a little pile of rabbit food in the garden in a place where its in view from a window. Then I just check up on it every so often to see if theres a rat or mouse about. When there is I get the AIR RIFFLE out and shoot the little buggers. The rats are actually easier than the mice because they are bigger so a bigger target. The mice aren't that ahrd to hit either tbh.

It helps when you practise hitting 1p coins from 25m. You don't miss often then. :twisted:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    And they're back! Well one, brown, small but long.

Alas in their brashness they revealed their hideout or advanced camp.

Either way this time I'm ready, over my fear and soon to be armed with a bountiful war chest.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Let lose the dogs of war.

I dont know if this is any help but My old man baits and traps the garage as they use that as a forward command post and he finds if he keeps poison and traps in there they rarely get as far as the house. Also you have to rotate your trap bait till you find something they like. Here my old man uses bacon rind but in france chocolate works better.

Good luck
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • I noted that one of my housemates has put out traps to complement my poison.

I also note that he has failed to bait these traps.

Is he relying on the mouse's natural curiosity? :roll:
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    I noted that one of my housemates has put out traps to complement my poison.

I also note that he has failed to bait these traps.

Is he relying on the mouse's natural curiosity? :roll:

Perhaps housmate did bait traps but the mice are more cunning :twisted:

But seriously if traps are not set right sometimes the bait can be taken without said trap being sprung, this is why bacon rind is good :)
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • I favour Little Nippers. I set one in the kitchen and tried it with a biro. It exploded into a shower of plastic fragments travelling at almost Warp Factor 3.5. I found some of the ink my face but most was on the ceiling. It wont wash off. It soaks through my attempt to re-paint the ceiling.
    On the up side, I did kill about 6 baby rats, one mummy rat and several mice that eaten their way through the shed...... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PS MilkyWay for bait. Use the hard choclate to stick it to the trap and leave the soft stuff point up. The mice get their little teeth stuck in it and cant gnaw at it like hard chocolate and pull it off the trap lever. Perfect neck shots. Every time..... :wink:
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    As you can no longer see or hear them....... Lay out large bowls on the floor, fill the bowls to the brim with water, watch the bowls for ripples.

I thought that's how you check for a dinosaur infestation?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    And they're back! Well one, brown, small but long.

Are you sure that's a mouse?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Ah ha!

I've been sent home early because of the snow. (Shut up its like proper biblical up here).

Pre-emptive strike!

The mice don't know what's gonna hit'em.

I feel like this needs a name:

Operation Goat herder!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • hatbeard
    Come on guys everyone knows the best way to catch a mouse is to setup a crank, which rotates a vertical gear, connected to a horizontal gear. As that gear turns, it pushes an elastic-loaded lever until it snaps back in place, hitting a swinging boot. This causes the boot to kick over a bucket, sending a marble down a zig-zagging incline which feeds into a chute. This leads the marble to hit a vertical pole, at the top of which is an open hand, palm-up, which is supporting a larger ball. The movement of the pole knocks the ball free to fall through a hole in its platform into a bathtub, and then through a hole in the tub onto one end of a seesaw. This launches a diver on the other end into a tub which is on the same base as the barbed pole supporting the mouse cage. The movement of the tub shakes the cage free from the top of the pole and allows it to fall onto the mouse.
    Hat + Beard
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The snow probably made the mice seek warmer places.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    hatbeard wrote:
    Come on guys everyone knows the best way to catch a mouse is to setup a crank, which rotates a vertical gear, connected to a horizontal gear. As that gear turns, it pushes an elastic-loaded lever until it snaps back in place, hitting a swinging boot. This causes the boot to kick over a bucket, sending a marble down a zig-zagging incline which feeds into a chute. This leads the marble to hit a vertical pole, at the top of which is an open hand, palm-up, which is supporting a larger ball. The movement of the pole knocks the ball free to fall through a hole in its platform into a bathtub, and then through a hole in the tub onto one end of a seesaw. This launches a diver on the other end into a tub which is on the same base as the barbed pole supporting the mouse cage. The movement of the tub shakes the cage free from the top of the pole and allows it to fall onto the mouse.

In a perfect world of course, but you need to sit next to the cage to give it a prod when it inevitably isn't shaken loose by the diver. Screwball Scramble was better anyway.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo