Mouse war! A DDD epic.

Comments

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm beginning to think that it was just the one and the once...

Really?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!

HA!

But in all seriousness, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited October 2010
    Wikipedia tells us
    The gestation period is about 19–21 days, and they give birth to a litter of 3-14 young (average 6-8 ). One female can have some 5-10 litters per year, so their population can increase very quickly.

A litter will be between 3 and 14 offspring . . . .

and the young can reproduce after 5 weeks. . . .

You do the maths - you never have just one mouse

As Greg put it so succinctly:

• Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm beginning to think that it was just the one and the once...

Really?

HA!

But in all seriousness, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!

+1

Also: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh and you ran away? Out of the house? Because of a MOUSE?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

When I moved back down here in June there were mice in my bedroom. Little beggars. I do prefer the poison route, though, if the trap doesn't kill them properly they make a right racket and I'm not good at finishing them off. They're so cute!

And they're most likely in your house because it's warm and there's food about for them.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :lol:

And this came to mind:

gruffalo.jpg
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I broke the forum laughing. Sorry peeps.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DDD

Sorry.

i dont believe it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Another priceless thread DDD.

Just kill the little buggers. Definitely plural, sorry to say....

And moths? You're scared of moths? Moths are nothing. We get loads here, you'd have kittens (well, you'd like some at the moment...!!!). They get stomped/ crushed/annihilated in various fun ways. Try it.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Psst, Wanna buy a cat ?

I'd be happy to sell you next door's giant rabid bird-eating shitmonster- I'm up in London tomorrow, I can deliver it !
    Misguided Idealist
  • Oddjob62 wrote:
    This is what happened last night
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plz9JxsnhH4

Damn - beat me to it! Good cheese though... but no relation.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    +1 to whoever's said get a cat. Unfortunately not an overnight solution, but the only mice I've seen round our house were hanging out of the cat's mouth. He like fresh pigeon too; now they're a bugger to clean up/finish off.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    A cat will get some mice, it won't eradicate the mice, they can operate in areas the cat can't reach.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,406
    Mrs RJS's late grandmother once happened upon a mouse nest complete with ickle baby mice in her shed; she finished them off with a spade. Mrs Williams was not to be messed with.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    marchant wrote:
    +1 to whoever's said get a cat. Unfortunately not an overnight solution, but the only mice I've seen round our house were hanging out of the cat's mouth. He like fresh pigeon too; now they're a bugger to clean up/finish off.

that same to my household and sometimes we get moles too.

luckily, our cat is not interested with pigeon as one of our neighbour has 2 sheds full of racing pigeons...
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    How can you manage to play Star Trek Online? I have basically resigned my computer to watching catch up television after the complete collapse of my ability to enjoy any MMO. I think WoW has for ever tainted any computer gaming enjoyment that I may have had in the future. I desperately tried to find a replacement, Eve lasted the longest, then Aion, Champions Online started great and bored me after 2 weeks, STOL lasted about 2 days.
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    Getting a cat is not a solution, especially if it's like ours.

She brings in live stuff and just lets it go.

Back in the summer she brought a small rat in, let it go and it set up shop under the kitchen units. Thing is it would feed itself from the cats food bowl. We tried all sorts of things to catch it but had to resort to a good old fashioned spring trap.

Twice she's brought in a bird and let it go in the dining room.

She's really cute and we love her to bits, but she's a bit useless.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    garryc wrote:
    Getting a cat is not a solution, especially if it's like ours.

She brings in live stuff and just lets it go.

Back in the summer she brought a small rat in, let it go and it set up shop under the kitchen units. Thing is it would feed itself from the cats food bowl. We tried all sorts of things to catch it but had to resort to a good old fashioned spring trap.

Twice she's brought in a bird and let it go in the dining room.

She's really cute and we love her to bits, but she's a bit useless.
    Yep, quite a few cats do that. They go 'look at me, look at me, look what I did.... Bored with that now' *drop*

We've had a few mice in our office. It's the first time I've seen the woman on chair screaming sterotype actually borne out.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    The cat is doing its best to teach you how to hunt. It's saying look, here's a fresh one, I've wounded it a bit, now it's your turn!

To the cat, you are a very backward child.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    I think this is the best posting I have ever read. Great work DDD, you made me cry with laughter! Why don't you have a newspaper column?
  • L0055833_083.jpg
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    L0055833_083.jpg

That's Lucifer!

Amazing mouse trap!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    The trouble with mice is:

1. Mice are fast
    2. Mice are cunning little b@stards
    3. Mice don't like cheese
    4. Mice are cute

I recommend grains or seeds, or halva, in the trap. Chocolate works, too.

And remember, as others have said, there is no such thing as ONE mouse.
    Day two,

The strain is starting to take its toll. I got home and still nothing in the traps. Absolutely shattered but I cleaned everything and everywhere in the kitchen. Gonna 'strip-clean' a room a day until the weekend when I'll clean everything, again.

One good thing is that I didn't see any droppings in the Kitchen. One bad thing is that I didn't see any droppings at all, not even where I first saw the mouse. If we have mice and not a mouse it'd be nice to know where they've set up shop.

I was so tired yesterday I nearly blacked out holding the mouse trying to fire phasers at a Gem'Hadar on Star Trek. Went to bed fully clothed again. Woke up with a headache and immediately argued with Ms DDD. Tension is high.

I'm gonnna kill this mouse, I'm gonna kill it good!!

Gonna get those mouse plugs that send out a high pitch squeel that frightens them away!

I have some theories: The mouse I saw was small so it was likely a baby who is either part of a larger family or its a baby about to start its family. There is also a chance it came back with us when we returned from holiday. Can these things survive the flight in a luggage bag?

Needless to say the lack of activity means its clearly giving birth raising its kids to plague me.

Effing hell man! I can't deal with this sh*t.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    L0055833_083.jpg

That's Lucifer!

Amazing mouse trap!

That don't look a lot like any mouse I've ever caught...

I'm thinking that's Roland.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Mice ARE small... they're like 2" long sans tail, at the most. Baby mice aren't going to be running around. They've likely set up shop in one of your walls, so don't concern yourself with finding their nest.

This is one of the advantages of poison - if you can put it somewhere out of reach of pets/kids etc you have a mouse-early-warning system - if it runs out all of a sudden, you've another infestation.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Somehow I've managed not to LOL in the office. This thread almost made me forget the severe post-marathon pain in my legs :lol::lol::lol:

DDD you might want to consider blocking any holes/ skirting board gaps with varying types of wire wool as well as putting out poison under beds/kitchen cupboards etc.

Oh, the buggers climb too........ :cry:

Rentokil was my last resort.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Contact the council. They'll have a team who can sort this out and for a small sum, £91 in our case, they provide as many poison bait boxes as required and visit 3 times. Poison works well as if they are feeding babies it gets them too and mice are so small that they dry out really quickly and so don't smell when dead.

Just prey you don't have rats as well.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • GraemeT
    GraemeT Posts: 155
    My ultimate achievement is catching 2 mice in the same trap. :twisted:

It may not sound much but I danced with joy :oops:
    Just Keep Pedalling
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,406
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Contact the council. They'll have a team who can sort this out and for a small sum, £91 in our case, they provide as many poison bait boxes as required and visit 3 times. Poison works well as if they are feeding babies it gets them too and mice are so small that they dry out really quickly and so don't smell when dead.

Just prey you don't have rats as well.

This. Don't muck about with home remedies - give them a call, get it booked in, and count yourself lucky it's not bedbugs.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    mice are so small that they dry out really quickly and so don't smell when dead.

That wasn't what happened when I had one in a very grotty bedsit in Ladbroke Grove in 1971.

I can still smell it now. And it wrote off a pair of shoes by dying against one so that the things eating the mouse moved on to the shoes.
    mice are so small that they dry out really quickly and so don't smell when dead.

That wasn't what happened when I had one in a very grotty bedsit in Ladbroke Grove in 1971.

I can still smell it now. And it wrote off a pair of shoes by dying against one so that the things eating the mouse moved on to the shoes.

All the dead mice I've found have been crispy and smell-free.