Mosquera postitive

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Unfortunately the team will not be continuing next year, having failed to find a sponsor. Lots of riders and staff without jobs...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    That was announced prior to the, ahem, positive news.
  • frenchfighter
    Ah got it
    Contador is the Greatest
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    Spansh press insist they are no banned and the product is not in the forbbiden list :?:

Even i haved read thar Sevilla is no banned now :?:
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • frenchfighter
    Well that would be great if it was true and it was more media spinning rubbish. Lets wait and see until there is proper information on this.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Hydroxyethyl starch is banned. They have tested positive for this in the A-samples. The B-samples are being tested as we speak, so right now they can race. But if the B sample comes back positive, they're doomed.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Kleber.

Its rather an odd one, but my reading of it is that Hydroxyethyl starch is not a banned substance, but that the only way that it can get into the human system is through a transfusion and a transfusion is banned. So they would be done for the act of the transfusion rather than the product and would be banned for the transfusion (with the starch in the body being the evidence of the transfusion!)

Happy to be corrected if I have misunderstood.

Edit

Found the relevant article with the explanation :
    www.cyclingnews.com/news/hes-positives- ... octor-says
  • Kléber
    It is a banned substance.

The confusion here is because the substance is not on the some lists of "doping products". Instead hydroxyethyl starch features "banned substance" lists because it's not meant to help performance, instead it masks other things.

But visit WADA's "prohibited list" and hydroxyethyl starch is a "prohibited substance" like any other and this is the definition used by all today.
    http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/World ... 010_EN.pdf

Test positive for this in A and B samples and you're gone for two years with almost no chance of appeal.
  • This woman Margarita Fullana was caught with EPO http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/39472944/ns/sports/

4 Spaniards caught last week! 4 or 3 depending upon when Contador's time actually begins.

"Spanish Vuelta runner-up Ezequiel Mosquera and teammate David Garcia da Pena had positive tests for hydroxyethyl starch."
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I have one question that I'm asking myself. Do I explain to Victor that he's negating verbs incorrectly?

You see if I were him I'd like to know that it was "not banned" instead of "no banned" but I find it so endearing that I'd prefer he continued to do say "no banned".

Am I being selfish?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    ^ God forbid you ever make a typo in a post :roll:
  • frenchfighter
    dulldave wrote:
    I have one question that I'm asking myself. Do I explain to Victor that he's negating verbs incorrectly?

You see if I were him I'd like to know that it was "not banned" instead of "no banned" but I find it so endearing that I'd prefer he continued to do say "no banned".

Am I being selfish?

How good is your spanish? Pedantic you are being; his first language it is not. Yet Victor often brings some good Spanish sources and his postings are understandable.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    How good is your spanish? Pedantic you are being; his first language it is not. Yet Victor often brings some good Spanish sources and his postings are understandable.

You are Yoda and I claim my five pounds.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    LangerDan wrote:

You are Yoda and I claim my five pounds.

There's a cycling Yoda on twitter who's great. Never had him pinned as FF!
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    dulldave wrote:

Am I being selfish?

No, you're not being selfish.

Most people who make the effort to learn and communicate in a foreign language welcome friendly advice, which this obviously is.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,220
    dulldave wrote:

Am I being selfish?

His posts in a second language are adding to the debate whereas your patronising comments on his English no are!
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    :roll:
  • Kléber
    Ah, the subject of doping. A few attacks on the cheat and those around him but in no time, a forum thread descends into attacks amongst fellow cyclists :wink::cry:
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    guinea wrote:
    dulldave wrote:

Am I being selfish?

No, you're not being selfish.

Most people who make the effort to learn and communicate in a foreign language welcome friendly advice, which this obviously is.

Thanks guinea. That's exactly what I was trying to do but there's no easy way to do it without sounding patronising. I prefer people to point these things out to me when I'm trying to speak French (emphasis on trying).

You won't need to look far to find a typo or grammatical error in any of my posts so feel free to point them out if it amuses you people.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    Don't worry, I'm not offended :lol:

Thanks to put with my bad english, this forum is a good way to improve it at the same time i enjoy my sport

More about the topic

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/no ... p?id=31059
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    victorponf wrote:
    Don't worry, I'm not offended :lol:

Thanks for putting up with my bad English, this forum is a good way to improve it, at the same time as enjoying my sport

More about the topic

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/no ... p?id=31059

Just corrected that for you :wink:

And I am just taking the mickey gently, I've met native English speakers that mindlessly butcher the language, your efforts are entirely readable and you clearly make the effort. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Putting hydroxyethal starch to one side for a moment, Garcia also tested positive for EPO.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/garcia- ... -at-vuelta

The sample concerned was on stage 16 where Garcia finished 7th, or fourth out of the favourites group. I imagine this was his best result of the race. No mention of whether Mosquera's sample has come back from the EPO test or not.
  • Pokerface
    Does anyone know what happens when you get busted in two different tests for different substances (but around the same time) as may be the case with Garcia?

Is that a 4 year ban? Or does it depend if it was 2 substances found in the same test - or if it came from separate tests on different days?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Pokerface wrote:
    Does anyone know what happens when you get busted in two different tests for different substances (but around the same time) as may be the case with Garcia?

Is that a 4 year ban? Or does it depend if it was 2 substances found in the same test - or if it came from separate tests on different days?

I was about to ask the same question. I'm actually assuming it all counts as one big +ve and it's a two year ban, regardless of the tests being on different days.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pokerface
    The positives were from two different tests. So in theory he should get two bans. Maybe they run concurrently though. I think De Luca had two positives in the Giro and only got 2 years.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pokerface wrote:
    The positives were from two different tests. So in theory he should get two bans. Maybe they run concurrently though. I think De Luca had two positives in the Giro and only got 2 years.

It's tricky to keep up with the rules, but they will probably be considered a single offence.

WADA have changed them slightly but it used to be you couldn't be sanctioned for something which pre-dated your first offence.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    It's probably going to the same doping offence. Basically if he comes forward and says "yes, it was a masking agent for the EPO" the he'll only get a 2 year ban. But his career is probably done, at best he can get a ride on some pint-sized Portuguese outfit come 2013.
  • Is Peter Sagan's dad karl Sagan ?

Just wondered...........[/quote]
  • protocol is the rider gets informed of the positive test before it's made public

Or in the UCI case they (quite rightly) knife you in the back by leaking it..............should kick 'em in the nuts too - and up the a*se. In fact slap 'em about the face a bit as well. That'll stop 'em doping. Ooooh !
  • Kléber
    The news was leaked by the Spanish media so I suspect the UCI just followed this up with news of the A-sample.