just a bit of fun.......bikes older then 5 years or more.

124»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wow, look a tiny cow!!
    Either way, you're much more adorable than I thought you'd be, Napoleon, but which one are you? The one on the purple bike, or in the seat?

Neither. I'd left them there and gone to the pub. Dunno who took the picture. :?
  • altern_8 wrote:
    BiggBadBri wrote:
    1995 Kona Fire Mountain recently retired to the garage!

how long is the stem on that, :lol:

About a foot!!
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Ha does no one ride these oldies.............I do

DSC00011.jpg

1991 trek 970 with full original components

P3254544.jpg

P3254533.jpg

Great bike but unfortunatly stopped riding just after I got it and only began a couple of years ago so saving the Trek for posterity
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • My current Mt bike is a 1999 Gary Fisher Big Sur. Owned it from new but very little is original now. Changed or Upgraded most things: Forks, Wheels, Brakes & components.
    Don't see many Gary Fishers only ever seen another Big Sur same yr whilst doing the London to Brighton 04

4680228198_c51ef19348_b.jpg

Bought a hack bike earlier in the year, 2nd Hand for £75. 1990 Trek 7000: a good bike in it's day. 16" smaller than the Big sur & 9 yrs between geometry is very different.

4704079163_551381801d_z.jpg

:)
    CiF
  • Anonymous
    Richie63 wrote:
    Holy crap, I didn't know you could get threadless headsets that long ago (apart from Pace's one-off)
    First time I saw one was about 1994 :shock:
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Richie63 wrote:
    Holy crap, I didn't know you could get threadless headsets that long ago (apart from Pace's one-off)

'94 was the year I got married and had the bike way before that. Getting married was one of the distractions that stopped cycling ; that and a job!

just been looking for the original paperwork to get the purchase date - just for curiosity

Right found it now and it turns out my guess at when I got it was a bit out

I got it on the 27/8/93 for the grand total of £562.49

You were pretty close Yeehaa with 1994
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Anonymous
    I sense a forum challenge coming on.
    Who can find the earliest threadless headset (Pace not included)?
  • i own a 1991/2 specialized stumpjumper, fully rigid, steel frame, black with red logos. still has original deore dx group, and still running specialized ground control extreme tires, as i bought about 5 sets of them when they were still on the market. also a fully rigid cannondale m700 from 1993, which i changed a few things on- upgrade to xt from lx, mavic m231cd rims, xt thumbshifts, xlite skewers, xlite bar ends, xlite titanium bars, kona titanium rail saddle and deore xt canti brakes. i ride the 'dale every day to work in all weathers, still runs smooth as a baby's bum, the stumpy is 'wrapped in cotton wool' only comes out to play occasionally. my 'up to date' bike is 2010 rockhopper sl.
  • GraemeT
    GraemeT Posts: 155
    I have a Specialized StreetStomper which I got in 1987 or thereabouts. It cost £330, which was a lot for a 'kids bike' back then :oops: . I think this was one of the first bikes to have indexed shifting (Shimano SIS). Its mostly original and I still ride it most days, although it has been relegated to dog walking duties now. My riding buddies at the time had a Muddy Fox Courier and a Raleigh Maverick. Ahh, those were the days.
    Just Keep Pedalling
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I've got a 1992 Diamond Back Ascent LTD but it's not the original spec, it has a few component upgrades from the 90's like Judy XC forks, Deore DX mechs & a Suntour XC Pro chainset.
    Next there's my Marin Bear Valley SE rigid from the early 90's, I've set this up as a commuter with a Surly SS hub (44/18 magic ratio) & had it resprayed BMW perlescent white in about 1998 with blue 1998 Marin graphics.
    I also had a 1997 Kona Cinder Cone up until a few weeks ago but sold it as I didn't really have space for it.
    My final older bike is my 2004 Salsa Bandito, again rigid with all Ritchey carbon parts (bars/forks/post/stem), it's an xc rocket weighing in at 17.07lb/7.9KG.
  • I have a 1988 M400 that is my commuter. My friends think that I have more miles on it than they have on their cars. It started as a 6 speed, is now a 9. Has Scott AT-4 bars and a Flex Stem.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Richie63 wrote:

that was the year they were "invented".
    (1991)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Ah, we live in the hills round here, see. Took a while to catch up with the rest of society.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    24.4lbs, 1993 KHS Montana Pro

5416393425_cfe94b2079_b.jpg
    1993 KHS Montana Pro by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr

5378121428_4070f18174_z.jpg
    P1020666 by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr

5377547925_0725de7b23_z.jpg
    P1020675 by thecycledoctor.co.uk, on Flickr
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • R34PER
    R34PER Posts: 193
    2004 avalanche

wyreforestsnow005.jpg

90's P7
    not sure exactly when in the ninetys because my cousin bought the frame and forks new and built it up as his xc race bike. the Rond hydropro forks are shot now so i'm putting the original rigids on and the groupet needs replacing too so i may go singlespeed. It has been used up until last winter and i got it out of the shed yesterday to see what i can do with it so its in the kitchen in bits at the moment except for a stuck bottom bracket :(

bikes005.jpg
  • i had a full size Raliegh Mustang with black and red frame, i got it in 89 new when i was 7, i hurt my self quite a lot on it due to it being huge, my dads reasoning was that he wouldnt have to buy me another bike the rest of my days, i had it till i was 16 lol
  • 99% original '92 Marin Eldridge - carried me round the Kona MashUp last year, including the black run...

35778_10150215342370099_667765098_12740461_1306683_n.jpg

Now has slicks on for road hacking as I've built up a 2009 Trance X
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • Just read through all six pages of this thread, loved almost every post... My favourite out all of them has gotta be that Orange Clockwork though...! :D

Anyway, my current XC race rig is a 2002 Trek Fuel 90. Well thats what the frame is anyway...! :lol: Was original too start with, and has been through several stages of changes... For about 6 years was all original apart from a set of '03ish Hope M4. And then the changes really began too ready it for the last 2 years worth of XC racing...! Currently spec is something like:
    Original Fox FloatR rear can
    2007 Fox F80 RLT Forks
    Hope headset (waiting too be fitted)
    Hope Pro 2's on ZTR alpines (waiting too be fitted)
    Shimano SLX cranks (replacing bottom bracket with hope)
    SRAM X9 shifting set up
    Selection of Schwalbe tires
    Was running Avid ultimate carbons until i wrecked one of the levers in a crash at Whinlatter! :oops: Now has a front Ultimate and rear Hope M4! :lol:Anyone got one for sale?
    Original Bontrager finishing kit
    Bunch of Hope/KCNC stuff for everything else

Has given it soo much more abuse than it was designed for, and so far (touch wood) has never let me down!
    Pics too follow as soon as its back together! :D
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    The apollo project frame is 2003, so coming up to 8 years old, but built up with 2011 deore and exotic bits and 2009 rockshox shock.

See my sig for link to the thread
  • Dubzy
    Dubzy Posts: 123
    My bike for just popping to town ,library etc is a 20 old Raleigh Voyager cica 1991. I love the shape of the frame - so comfortable - I am thinking on converting to single speed at some stage and to improve the parts.
    Life's good

Boardman MTB Team
  • My bikes are both 2006.

I keep thinking about repalcing but,anything apprecaibly better costs so much these days,I just keep upgrading them as bits wear out.

See links below.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Old bikes are great - you can pick up some real bargains second hand. The frames (hardtails at least) are often as good as new ones. I'm on retrobike a lot and love the guys over there, although i'm no purist - the bike for me is the frame with a few period bits but i'd always go for bits that work and function for me rather than something worn not very functional but original.

I have a Kona Lava Dome from 1997 that i rescued from a skip for £10. Spent about £100 doing it up and use it when my mrs and I go out on towpaths etc. I use my modern Kona HT for proper off road cycling. BUt i'd have no qualms wioth takingan old bike out. A bit too much gets talked about how stuff gets outdated but if you could ride a fully rigid bike over the moors fifteen years ago I'm sure you could still now!
  • All these old bikes that look new - do you actually ride them? I've got an '88 Cannondale M400, and the only original parts are the frame, fork, and seatpost quickrelease. It's been ridden every year, moved with me at least 7 times, ridden in Florida, Washington, Utah, Mississippi, Nebraska, and Michigan. I rode it from New Orleans to Key West on a solo tour. I commuted at night in Michigan - through the winter. I'm currently in Georgia, and commuting on it. 2 miles to work, roughly a 20 mile loop coming home.
  • oh, yeah. Came as 6 speed, is now 9 speed. Using Suntour bartop shifters, friction shifting.
  • 5tu-pid
    5tu-pid Posts: 22
    Northwind wrote:
    1991 Carrera Krakatoa that I'm turning into a commuter, it just will not die :lol:

I had one of those Northwind...black with yellow paint speck/splashes?

Heres my 96 Kona Uhu - Pretty much original spec - changed the tyres to slicks, the forks were upgraded when new to Marzzochi Bomber z1's

I have just stripped it right down as it has never had this done and I need to repalce the bottom brackets and cables inners and outers. She is now in parts in the shed. I was thinking about getting the frame sprayed but have now changed my mind and going to keep it orginal dispite all the scratches

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47514465@N03/6152381279/

Stu
    '96 Kona U'hu
    '11 Specialized Camber Expert
    '11 Boardman Road Race
  • Here's a challenge for you all, anyone like to hazard a guess as to how old this is? I have no idea

NewForest-20111016-00001.jpg

I picked it up off EBay a few weeks ago to get me back on 2 wheels and so far it's been brilliant on the road to work and bimbles through the New Forest.
  • Sgray
    Sgray Posts: 79
    I have a Gary Fisher Marlin which I brought in 2005. It is nearly 100% original, I have changed the rear inner tube, put a baby seat on and this week I changed the pedals. The wife has a Marin Pioneer Trail from the same year, that is still 100% original and has probably got less than 20 miles on it!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    My (stunning) Carlton Pro-Am 12 road bike.

All original aside from the chain, tyres, grip tape and Brake levers.

Was a very high end bike in it's time... the World champ stripes are on the head badge for a reason.

Absolutelly stunning ride, if a little weighty (as is to be expected with a bike from that era) but even more amazing to look at... I'll post up pictures soon, but a grey-blue paint job and chrome/polished parts and a polished Bluemells pump mean it looks like no other bike iv'e seen.

Original polished Raleigh crank and wheels are gorgeous.

The ONLY road bike Iv'e ever seen that I actually like.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    I should mention, it's mint, but it is ridden ALOT. I look after it though...

Also have a '92 Alpinestars Cro-Mega, entierly original, but in need of work. Frame is pretty much MUBAR'd.. May well split and sell as the DX stuff is pretty nice...
    I like bikes and stuff