Why no QR seat post clamps

124»

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Sorry chap that was aimed at Kenny, I'll give you a shout if I'm around Newport and looking for someone to ride with though!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    njee20 wrote:
    I know exactly why people do, I've always said that, just that I've not really felt the need myself! Like I say, we should go for a ride, you can show me more steep stuff, I need to get better at it frankly!
    I have to admit I'm rubbish at it myself and probably talking out of my arse :D. I'm trying to learn the steep stuff also and that's what everyone's telling me. Bad result with a OTB situation with the seat up high is why I've ended up lowering it :shock:.

Maybe join us over on London Calling thread for a SH ride. Can get some pointers off each other. I know I have much to learn. Though we're not a speedy bunch (well I'm not) :D. If you can grab a day when Richard is out there he can show you the really narly steeps. I struggle to find them.
  • njee20
    Yes I poke my nose in there periodically, saw you're doing one this weekend, which sadly I can't make, will try and get out with you guys.

I don't want to find the really gnarly stuff, just normally gnarly is fine for my mincing ways!
  • Anonymous
    Njee, serious question. Obviously XC racers don't get off their bikes to drop their saddles, but do you think there's a future for lightweight adjustable seatposts so that they could get properly ragged on the technical downs?
    I mean, adjustable posts are never going to be a light as a solid post, of course, but if time could be made up by riding the downs like a freeriders, then instantly have the saddle up again for climbing, do you think it could be adopted?
  • njee20
    I'm not honestly sure, I certainly wouldn't rule it out, if they became very light then it seems more likely they'd catch on.

However... XC races aren't won on the descents, so I imagine they'd have to get a lot lighter before people started using them.

I'd be very interested to ride a bike with the saddle down to see the difference, I'll try it sometime, I've just got used to my saddle always being up, I'm sure it'd take some serious getting used to!
  • Anonymous
    When I ride with my saddle up, I have to be careful over the drops, since I can't use my legs to absorb the landing as much, and it also sets my centre of gravity much higher.
    Another thing I find I can't do is to "suck" up the larger hits or kickers.
    All that means I am typically far far faster over a rough descent with the saddle even marginally lower than with it fully up.

Of course, I am more accustomed to the more freeridey position, and you are more accustomed to the XC position, so me doing it your way, or you doing it my way would take some adjusting for either of us, but I'm sure there are some significant advantages to be gained.
  • njee20
    I suppose it's a case of what you're riding too, if I was specifically riding drops and jumps then I'd probably look to lower my saddle, I can clearly see the merit in it not smacking you in the nuts!

Perhaps if XC races get more technical, which seems reasonable as bikes get tougher, longer travel forks etc, then maybe we will see their popularity rise. As it is, most XC descents are fast singletrack with lots of pedalling, when having the saddle is quite nice, there are rarely more than a few little drops like Worry Gill, as above, where I doubt you could gain more than 2-3 seconds with a dropped saddle.

Be interesting to try something like Cwmcarn, or Energy at Afan with the saddle up and down, it's never occurred to me to lower my saddle on stuff like that, I wonder if it would make an instant difference!
  • Anonymous
    It never really occured that it could be of any serious benefit until I stumped up the cash recently for a Joplin 4, either!
    The more I use it the more useful I realise it is, if you see what I mean. It's just a shame they're aneurism-inducingly expensive, and have a reputation for reliability issues.
  • njee20
    I think the more people doing them the prices will inevitably fall though, be interesting to see what the Fox effort is like, would rather hope they'll have got it right before releasing it. Things like cable guides on frames is making them much more practical too.

I think they're only going to get more popular, although I'm sure XC racing will be the last 'discipline' they break into! Reckon we'll see them among more of the 'weekend warrior' racing types soon though, there's already plenty of them riding bigger bikes than the 'traditional' XC race bikes.
  • Anonymous
    To be honest I always found it comfortable riding with the seat half way, and it was only when I started doing big climbs that I realised (and following some advice) raising the seat a lot more made a massive difference to the climbs. However I felt it was far too dangerous when I ran the trails and it needed to be dropped. The geometry of my bike just pushes me too far forward and my centre of gravity meant steeper descents would just throw me over.
  • njee20
    Yeah I guess you just get used to moving back behind the saddle, certainly doesn't give you all that much control though! Can't find any photos of me on anything steep to check!
  • njee20 wrote:
    I suppose it's a case of what you're riding too, if I was specifically riding drops and jumps then I'd probably look to lower my saddle, I can clearly see the merit in it not smacking you in the nuts!

Perhaps if XC races get more technical, which seems reasonable as bikes get tougher, longer travel forks etc, then maybe we will see their popularity rise. As it is, most XC descents are fast singletrack with lots of pedalling, when having the saddle is quite nice, there are rarely more than a few little drops like Worry Gill, as above, where I doubt you could gain more than 2-3 seconds with a dropped saddle.

Be interesting to try something like Cwmcarn, or Energy at Afan with the saddle up and down, it's never occurred to me to lower my saddle on stuff like that, I wonder if it would make an instant difference!

Saves some imeddiate nut/saddle closeness :p and you can start to shape the jumps on the black top section :p