Why no QR seat post clamps

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Surely it's far more likely of falling out from under your saddle.
    I think you may be overcomplicating things quite substantially.
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    Dunno. Have always run QR but I have a bolt type somewhere so might give it a try. Allen key that just slides out from under the saddle has got to be quicker than getting the multitool out.
  • Anonymous
    Until the allen key falls out by accident somewhere on the trail
  • Andy!
    well i've got the multitool if that happens. Allen keys are 10 a penny, just looked over to my book case in the office and yup there is a random one...they seem to get everywhere.

It's a shame Ikea furniture doesnt use the same size or it would be a good source of free ones.
  • Chop the short bit of one down and weld it into the end of a bolt and use a qr-bolted seatclamp.

If you want ultra-weight-weenieism look at this for a solution:

1276010600546-1x0oldwhn1liw-500-90-500-70.jpg

if you don't use the little washer inbetween the carbon lips then you write off the frame...
  • Andy!
    I had thought about welding an allen key to the bolt. Then if you get it to the right torque before you weld you should always put the bolt back in the same place and to the same torque. But could look a bit messy, how many turns does it need to back it off enough to move?

That seat clamp is scary ^^^^ I prefer a band of metal around the top of my seat tube to stop it splaying open. I thought the Carbon 456 would be a metal tube sticking out the top but then I saw how thin the carbon is around the top and then they cut a slit in it - yikes.

If I got something like a joplin it would be a toss up between the thompson (looks perfect for the C456 design) or one of these so I could run the clamping force on the conservative side to stop it squeezing the post too much:

CC-C0334.jpg

heavy yes but if you have a height adjust post whats a bit more weight?
  • Anonymous
    why bother with welding an allen key, when the solution is already mass-manufactured... the QR seatclamp.
  • Andy!
    lol that was why I didn't suggest it before.

Back to QRs - picked up a cheap round end style Hope one when I was fed up of the short lever on mine. 1st and only bit of bling on my bike but the best £8 I spent on it. I got black so it doesnt stand out though.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Scott do like to make things awkward, that Scale 899 has the integrated seatclamp, they used to have ISPs, so you had to adjust your saddle with a hacksaw, I wonder how many people got that wrong over the years!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    njee20 wrote:
    You won't get away with a 31.8 or a 28.6 though, so I'd track down the right thing, Kona must do one.

Unless you adjust your saddle the whole time they achieve nothing, I wouldn't use one, any bike that comes with one I'll replace it with a bolt up job.

Why? I find it useful to change height on descents, then change back for climbs. Probably change height 2 or 3 times per ride, maybe more...
    +1
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Anonymous
    +1 and more so. If you ride the sort of terrain that requires you to drop your seat that is. Steeps, drops, jumps, you risk your manhood on the seat if you leave it raised, not to mention the difficulty in moving your centre of gravity back.

If you just do traditional XC and never see anything that remotely points downhill, then yes, bolt it up.

Though I don't see the problem with having a QR anyway except if you are so obsessed with weight. How much does a QR weigh extra compared to a bolt?

If you really want to save weight, just don't eat :D.
  • Just been informed the one I ordered is unavailable (Kona 30.7).... so ordered a salsa 30.6 from Wiggle, now that *should* fit!!

Not obsessed with bike weight... well not while I could shed a few lbs!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • njee20
    If you just do traditional XC and never see anything that remotely points downhill, then yes, bolt it up.

What's 'traditional XC'? I can see the merit in lowering the saddle, I've just never found the need myself, whilst it may make things easier there's not much which really 'requires' it. You see plenty of people around the Surrey Hills and at most trail centres dropping them, personally I just don't see the point.

As pointed out though previously, I'm an XC racer, not too many folk stop to twiddle saddle heights in a race.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I tend to stop and start a lot on the trail anyway - reaching in my pocket for the multitool doesn't really cost me.
  • njee20
    Yep, if you're stopping at the top for a chat anyway it makes sense.

I think part of it for me is that I want to be quick in races, if I did all my riding with my saddle around my knees I'd get a very rude awakening come the first steep descent in a race!
  • njee20 wrote:

What's 'traditional XC'? I can see the merit in lowering the saddle, I've just never found the need myself, whilst it may make things easier there's not much which really 'requires' it. You see plenty of people around the Surrey Hills and at most trail centres dropping them, personally I just don't see the point.

As pointed out though previously, I'm an XC racer, not too many folk stop to twiddle saddle heights in a race.

I'd disagree at a trail center,

How about the energy section Afan? can't jump for crap if my saddle is half way up my bottom :p tope end of CWM? Cwm's downhill route?

All trail center stuff that needs it lowering :p
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    njee20 wrote:

I'd disagree at a trail center,

How about the energy section Afan? can't jump for crap if my saddle is half way up my bottom :p tope end of CWM? Cwm's downhill route?

All trail center stuff that needs it lowering :p

Set your seat low enough for the downs and then just pedal harder on the climbs :P
  • njee20
    Never felt the need at all at either Cwmcarn or anything at Afan, again, I can see the merit, but I just don't feel the need.

I'm riding a 21lb FS bike, so getting huge air isn't my intention, you can ride plenty quick enough with your saddle up!
  • Trashes your knees mate.

And my knee's are a little rubbish as it is :p
  • Anonymous
    edited September 2010
    Steep rolls require you to lower your centre of gravity. You need the seat lower for that.

Some people just don't do that kind of MTB.

It's why some people love Swinley more than Surrey Hills and don't "get" Surrey Hills, and vice versa. The two areas are very different styles of riding (though less so if you consider the DH/expert area of Swinley which is nearest to the kind of good stuff in Surrey Hills).

If you're an XC racer, then no I can't see a need to drop the seat either, or the appeal of Surrey Hills. I'm not and I love Surrey Hills myself, hence the seat is often dropped ;)

Cwmcarn and Afan don't have the steep stuff that Surrey Hills has, though I would say seat a little more down for the rock garden end of the black on Whites and the DH at Cwmcarn (probably more so for the Cwmcarn big drop but I'm too chicken to do that).
  • njee20
    What on the Surrey Hills do you feel necessetates a dropped saddle though? If you're playing in the quarry on Leith maybe, that's about it. I love the Surrey Hills, it's my favourite bit of riding anywhere, and I'm up there often, but there's hardly anything steep, and nothing you'd find unless you went looking, which I'm not, and if you are then the Surrey Hills are wasted on you :-)
    Steep rolls require you to lower your centre of gravity. You need the seat lower for that.

No, it makes them easier, you don't need it lower. Look at Worry Gill at Dalby, among the steepest roll ins you'll find, certainly steeper than anything on the Surrey Hills, unsurprisingly when they did an NPS and a World Cup there, no one who rode it lowered their saddle before hand.

Lean back...
    20090510_dalby_550d_gill.jpg
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    That guy looks like if he hit anything on the way down, he'd be munching dirt.

Thewaylander
    Meh, mtfu :lol: I did 30 miles on the road the other day and then hit the jumps at Llandegla.
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    What on the Surrey Hills do you feel necessetates a dropped saddle though? If you're playing in the quarry on Leith maybe, that's about it. I love the Surrey Hills, it's my favourite bit of riding anywhere, and I'm up there often, but there's nothing steep.
    Deliverance for one.

Most of the steep stuff is on Leith (hidden away), and also further over on Redlands. Then outside of Surrey Hills over at Ranmore... well then it starts getting fun! :D. Ignore the tourist stuff like BKB, Yoghurt Pots, Summer Lightning. If you just do stuff like that then you don't need to touch the seat (though myself I need to jack the seat up really high to climb the hills as I don't use SPDs, and that's way to high even for the trails).
  • njee20
    I don't generally ride Deliverance, prefer the newer roll in to the right, next to the gap jump myself, but I have done it a number of times, with my saddle raised.

I'm not sure why you're insisting on telling me how to ride my bike, but to get the correct saddle height for climbing you should not need to drop it to ride BKB/Yoghurt Pots etc.

I'm always up for learning new stuff, why don't we go for a ride? You can show me the steep stuff and watch me mince, I can't lower my saddle on my Top Fuel, however steep it gets!
  • Indee for an XC boy hehe.

Last two downs at cwm, dump the saddle and you can score hugely fun air which yo8u couldn't seat up, and surely the idea of riding is to have fun? :p

But yeh if your blitzing with out doing any styling then yarp :p
  • Anonymous
    you dont need to lower your seat, true, but you dont need full sus or a lightweight bike or good quality tyres or anything, if ve learned one thing from the wise riders of BR it is that everything used to be ridden on rigid bikes and DH races were won and lost on 4 inches of elastomer suspension.

times change and although making do with whatever setting your bike is in is fine, making your bike fit perfectly is better, in my opinion.

which is always correct.
  • I like dropping my seat as crushing my balls hanging off the back is no fun. Discovered that the hard way.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Anonymous
    No one's saying you need to drop the seat. Just saying why people typically do. It's up to you though.

Personally I'd rather not smash my face up again or have my balls crushed ;)
  • njee20
    I know exactly why people do, I've always said that, just that I've not really felt the need myself! Like I say, we should go for a ride, you can show me more steep stuff, I need to get better at it frankly!
  • Sweet there is some wicked steep crap up locally at machan, I only know the local trails so so up there, for short loops.

But there are millions of miles up there, everytime i ride up there i'm back of the pack n the downs as I'm not used to it myself. But since its local i wanna get really really good :p