Why no QR seat post clamps

Comments

• Why? I find it useful to change height on descents, then change back for climbs. Probably change height 2 or 3 times per ride, maybe more...
    Because Njee is not normal. It weighs too much for him, and he only rides competitive XC style, or training for such.

Also, I'm 90% certain that a 28mm clamp will fit that Kona.

Bet it wont..... I did try a 31.8 and it was *just* slightly too big. 30.7 on order from CRC.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    oh you found one anyway? nevermind then.
    I still reckon a 28mm would deform enough to fit
  • oh you found one anyway? nevermind then.
    I still reckon a 28mm would deform enough to fit

Yeah, it says it is a 30.7 QR, but no picture..... less than a tenner so worth the chance.
    You know, you may be right, but my next try would be a 30.6 Salsa from Wiggle...

I think it didn't come with one as it is a light XC bike.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Anonymous
    Partially true but the hope one has a longer lever so its easier to clamp to the tension it needs. At least that was my justification for the bling :lol:
    My hope is 90% bling and 10% because it's smoother and easier to clamp tight than the cheap job that was on there before :D
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The problem with seat QRs is that virtually all have an external cam, so they get filled with crap and won't tighten properly, if Shimano made them they'd be good!
  • Anonymous
    Clean + a tiny smear of copper grease on those hope brass jobs. Job done, next ride.
  • I prefer QR seat post clamps. But what All Mountain version?
  • supersonic wrote:
    I prefer a bolted one, so no probs for me. Usually work better.

Agreed, my bike came with a QR, but i changed it over for a hope bolted, more secure, plus, if u leave ur bike on a rack at work, less risk of ur saddle and seatpost being nicked...
    (this has actually happend)
  • Anonymous
    weescott wrote:
    I prefer QR seat post clamps. But what All Mountain version?
    :?:
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    AM QR clamps :cry:

Does anyone where where I can get a Freeride Light star fangled nut, my current one lacks gnar!
  • Toasty wrote:

Does anyone where where I can get a Freeride Light star fangled nut, my current one lacks gnar!

Eh?
  • toasty
    Exactly!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I want a red anodised star nut made out of unobtanium. Even though no one can see it I know its red and weighs 10 grams less than a boring old steel one therefore it makes me go faster.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
  • toasty
    stubs wrote:
    I want a red anodised star nut made out of unobtanium. Even though no one can see it I know its red and weighs 10 grams less than a boring old steel one therefore it makes me go faster.

Actually, I jest, but then I'm using a Hope Hed Doctor :/
  • Toasty wrote:

Try using 2 star fangled nuts with an extra long bolt. It's the ghetto version of a Freeride star fangled nut.
  • toasty
    You could technically fit an inch thick bolt through the middle of your steerer, washers on either end to pull it together, hardcore.
  • Anonymous
    Toasty wrote:
    You could technically fit an inch thick bolt through the middle of your steerer, washers on either end to pull it together, hardcore.
    Don't be stupid, he asked for Freeride Lite, not DH :roll:
  • toasty
    He being me?
  • Anonymous
    Oh yeah.
    Well in that case...

Don't be stupid, you asked for Freeride Lite, not DH :roll:

:lol:
  • toasty
    How do you know it wasn't a double butted bolt I was refering to?
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Toasty wrote:

Don't feed the troll :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Toasty wrote:
    I'll double butt you in a minute
  • njee20

[weight weenie] Actually, you can use a long threaded bar and some washers to preload the headset, then take the whole lot out, lighter than a star nut! Stem tends to 'wander' up the steerer though, which puts me off, know a few people who do it though.

I use a nylon bolt in my headset, you can't actually use it to preload the headset, but it weighs sod all, and stops the stem coming off the top of the steerer.

[/weight weenie]
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    njee20 wrote:

I use a nylon bolt in my headset, you can't actually use it to preload the headset, but it weighs sod all, and stops the stem coming off the top of the steerer.

[/weight weenie]

Thats nothing I drill a hole through the centre of the nylon bolt seal both ends of the hole and then pump the air out. A vacuum is so much lighter than air.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    [weight weenie]
    So, you missed the point completely then?
    youmustbenewhere.jpg
  • Found out recently that Thompson do sweet bling allen bolt seatpost collar. Now on bike and keeping post in place (which crappy qr clamp with plastic bush never did) recomended :lol:

For qr would always go for hope as metal bush and long leaver are very effective.
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    The Thompson one is lovely. If I ever get a height adjust post then that is what I am getting but for now it has to be QR as I do like the get the saddle back up before the ride home. I suppose I could just make a little fitting on the underside of my saddle to hold an allen key...hmm
  • njee20
    I suppose I could just make a little fitting on the underside of my saddle to hold an allen key...hmm

Surely you carry allen keys anyway!?
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    yes but in my backpack. One pushed into some urethane tubing secured under the saddle would make it about as quick as doing a QR.

Always paranoid that I have dropped something out of my backpack when I have been reaching round and fumbling around with gloves on and there is always the chance I have forgotten the multitool.