Pope

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:
    So, what's the verdict on a good route home to avoid The Deluded Masses tomorrow night?

head to the morpeth have a couple.. ready made excuse
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • The Pope has landed!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Pope just leaving Edinburgh and needs to say Mass in Glasgow at 5.15.... Now if you have experienced the M8 you will know this is impossible....
  • When the Pope gets to Glasgow, what ever time it may be, he just has to declare that's it's 5.15 and it will be.

Must be handy being infallible.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Pope just leaving Edinburgh and needs to say Mass in Glasgow at 5.15.... Now if you have experienced the M8 you will know this is impossible....

But can't he fly on the back of a Brazillian nun?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Pope just leaving Edinburgh and needs to say Mass in Glasgow at 5.15.... Now if you have experienced the M8 you will know this is impossible....
    Yes, but when you and I travel on the M8 it's also open to other traffic...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Clever Pun
    is there some clever website that lets us know how the traffic will be blootered this evening?

if someone links me to lmgtfy they will get biked in the face
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Did you not see the Met link on the SCR thread?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    rjsterry wrote:
    Did you not see the Met link on the SCR thread?

of course I did that's why I asked the question here.

I've not checked the scr thread for a while now
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Clever Pun
    rjsterry wrote:

cheers

Not had my friday beer yet, got lots of work I've avoiding before my week off...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    Clever Pun wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

cheers

Not had my friday beer yet, got lots of work I've avoiding before my week off...

Ditto. Fridays before holidays almost make the holiday seem not worth the bother. A client has just shoe-horned an hour and a half meeting into an already busy day.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    rjsterry wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

cheers

Ditto. Fridays before holidays almost make the holiday seem not worth the bother. A client has just shoe-horned an hour and a half meeting into an already busy day.

That's the price of fame for you.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    Eh?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• I'm going to London tomorrow to see the Holy Father. It's tremendously exciting.

Apparently the 5 men arrested in London today are muslims...
  • cjcp
    rjsterry wrote:
    Eh?

:lol: Clients demanding a meeting you. Means you're famous. Price of fame. And stuff.

<Sound of the whistling wind. In the distance, a dog barks.>
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    Pfft! More like the client expects us to drop everything to fit around them.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    I'm going to London tomorrow to see the Holy Father. It's tremendously exciting.

tou would have thought it'd be those Nazi aetheists too.
    FCN 12
  • neiltb wrote:
    I'm going to London tomorrow to see the Holy Father. It's tremendously exciting.

tou would have thought it'd be those Nazi aetheists too.

Sigh.

The pope didn't call atheists nazis.

I would summarise the pope's letter as:

1) UK = country with Christian heritage
    2) British Christians have done a lot of good in the world.
    3) Brits fought Nazis
    4) Nazis are bad.
    5) The horrors of the Nazi regime are what happens when you remove "God, religion, -and- virtue" from governance.
    6) Brits, both secular and religious solved the NI problem
    7) Part of the reason that Brits are so good and moral and great and wonderful is the contribution that the Christian faith has made over the generations.
    Hopefully that contribution won't be forgotten.

The key word being "and".

To read this letter as saying that Atheists = Nazis, requires:
    1) That you read 'god, religion, and virtue' as 'god and religion'
    2) That you read 'the more aggressive forms of secularism' as 'all atheists'
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Nazis didn't remove God or Religion and Pope Pius wasn't too bothered about it at the time so I'm guessing the Vatican didn't see that much that wasn't virtuous.

Where did we get to on the sweet / salt / butter popcorn discussion?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Nazis didn't remove God or Religion and Pope Pius wasn't too bothered about it at the time so I'm guessing the Vatican didn't see that much that wasn't virtuous.

Where did we get to on the sweet / salt / butter popcorn discussion?

The Israeli consul, Pinchas E. Lapide, in his book, Three Popes and the Jews (New York: Hawthorn Books, Inc., 1967) critically examines Pope Pius XII. According to his research, the Catholic Church under Pius XII was instrumental in saving 860,000 Jews from Nazi death camps.

http://users.binary.net/polycarp/piusxii.html

The Archbishop of Munich, Michael Cardinal von Faulhaber, led the Catholic opposition in Germany against the Nazis.

In an Advent 1933 sermon, he preached: "Let us not forget that we were saved not by German blood but by the blood of Christ!" in response to Nazi racism.

In 1934 the Cardinal "narrowly missed a Nazi bullet", while in 1938 a Nazi mob broke the windows in his residence. Even though he was over seventy and in poor health, he still led the Catholic German resistance against Hitler.

In Lent 1937 Pope Pius XI issued the encyclical "Mit brennender Sorge" (With burning sorrow) with the help of German bishops and Cardinal Pacelli (later Pope Pius XII). It was smuggled into Germany and read in all German Catholic churches at the same hour on Palm Sunday 1937.

Pope Pius XII and many Catholics did not remain "silent." Could 860,000 Jewish lives be saved by "silent" indifference?

http://users.binary.net/polycarp/piusxii.html

The Papal Encyclical "With Burning Anxiety" of March 1937 marked the Catholic Church as the first major international organisation to condemn Nazism at a time when Britain's policy towards Hitler was Appeasement.

Within Germany resistance to the Nazis was led by promenent Church figures like Bishop Galen of Münster, who condemned the T4 programme from the pulpit.

Pope Pius XII has been nominated to be listed as Righteous Among the Nations at the Yad Vashem for his efforts to save Jews during the war.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Fetch my orthotics so I can stand corrected.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    SimonAH wrote:

But can't he fly on the back of a Brazillian nun?

Too much "junk in the trunk" nowadays on thjose nuns.....I am sure he could pray his way there....

Easier to just get the bus...
  • cjcp
    7) Part of the reason that Brits are so good and moral and great and wonderful is the contribution that the Christian faith has made over the generations.

Out of interest, when do you say this contribution started?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sigh.

The pope didn't call atheists nazis.

I would summarise the pope's letter as:

1) UK = country with Christian heritage
    2) British Christians have done a lot of good in the world.
    3) Brits fought Nazis
    4) Nazis are bad.
    4A) He used to be one.
    4B) He has a long standing grudge against Brits because they won.
    5) The horrors of the Nazi regime are what happens when you remove "God, religion, -and- virtue" from governance.
    6) Brits, both secular and religious solved the NI problem

Fixed that.

5) is a bit simplistic.
    6) discounts the contribution of the Irish.
    7) is the usual clumsy sleight of hand "and it's all down to religion" that you hear every day on Thought For The Day.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    cjcp wrote:

Out of interest, when do you say this contribution started?

3000 years of beautiful history; from Moses to Sandy Koufax.....oh sorry, thats Jewish......

I am moral without religion.....please don't label me as "athiest" as I don't care enough to be an athiest! Surely this is down to education, loving families/upbringing and diverse culture?!
  • 6) Brits, both secular and religious solved the NI problem

Hmmmm Didn't 6) get started by so called christians?

And as for 7), Didn't we lead Crusades that slaughtered thousands/millions in the name of God/Christianity?

Morality has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity or any religion. There is an intrinsic right and wrong that we can agree about as a society.

Religion promotes hate, differences and serves the selfishness of a few. It is clutched at by those who cannot comtemplate that our lives are but a brief flash in the pan.
  • Anyone who says the pope was a nazi is as thick as Barry White's sxxt on Boxing Day.

Hitlerjugend membership was compulsory- resistance to the nazis was possible but could have resulted in the torture and death of you and your family.

I'm sure you would have stood up to the nazis?