Aldi Cycling Gear

124»

Comments

• Ok, Aldi was great! Just bought the 'thermal underwear' l/s top, it is base layer type material, size L is normal size for me, but this size L is a tight fit but sleeves ok. Also got the skull cap & overshoes, very nice. Also got the red and white l/s zip up jersey and its one of the nicest looking jerseys ive owned, great quality and not a 'race fit' thankfully! The waterproof/windproof/breathable jacket is on a par with an Altura jacket and looks great in black. It has sealed zips and a rear pocket along with adjustable sleeves. Size L is perfect for my 5ft 11 13 stone frame. plenty of room round the middle.
    Im now an Aldi convert! Ive also researched the manufacturer (Crane Sports) and it's a huge european manufacturer. Merino socks £2.99? Thanks!

Look forward to the summer stuff.

*p.s, tried the MTB shorts with cool max liner, good quality and good padding, the winter cycling trousers (with padded insert) are also good quality and not too tight fitting. Finally the gloves are good quality.
    *Ive taken the above back as ive just spent £170 t Merlin on a camelbak, helmet and Altura 3/4's so the good lady is putting the brakes on spending.

Get to Aldi now folks!
    :P
    :P
    Orange Crush 2010. Better than the 2011. And 2009.
  • smellthe glove - ive got the arm warmers if you want them? Already got Gore ones but wanted to have a looky at these.
    Orange Crush 2010. Better than the 2011. And 2009.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    finally got round to seeing what all the fuss is about....still reasonable amount of stuff left in Meadowhall Aldi.

Merino top was fugly in my opinion.

Gloves looked good - any feedback on how effective they are?

cheers

Pete
  • PBo wrote:
    finally got round to seeing what all the fuss is about....still reasonable amount of stuff left in Meadowhall Aldi.

Merino top was fugly in my opinion.

Gloves looked good - any feedback on how effective they are?

cheers

Pete

I got some of the gloves last year - not sure if they're the same make but they probably are - and I didn't suffer from cold hands at all throughout winter. As it was a pretty cold but dry winter, I didn't get to see how they coped in the wet.
  • Got my Merino shirt, and my hat/overshoes today. I accept what people say about the merino not looking like a jersey, but when I put it on, it looked nice and old-school. Shame about the pockets, but we'll see about the performance. Overshoes are 2 sizes too small for me, but I'll try them, and anyway, the hat seems perfect and worth the bunce on its own.
  • Mrs Elephant went and got me some kit on Thursday, as I was out of the country. Got back and she managed to bag me one of each jerseys, a soft-shell jacket and a micro-fiber towel.

Very pleased with all of them. I can see what others are saying about the scratchy merino, but I'm sure it'll be fine with a wear and a wash. The normal jersey is a proper bargain. Even better than last year's. Superb quality for any price.

The soft-shell again is even better than last year, with the breathable material on the underside of the arms and the very nice touch of the easy-open zip picket. It's too warm to wear out at the moment, but I'm really, very impressed.

The micro fibre towel is great, too. Rolls down very small in the backpack, is really light too. Very absorbant and dries quickly.

They do know commuting at Aldi, because this stuff is perfectly pitched.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Interesting. Went to t'other Aldi in Sheffield today, (went to first one yesterday)and there's lots left - inc merino jerseys.

Seems Sheffield commuters not tuned in yet.

OTH, it is just around the corner from Decathlon, which whilst not being as cheap still has a pretty solid range of affordable stuff - and of course it's all year round....

Anyone else who has a Decathlon not quite as frenzied by the Lidl/Aldi sales as others seem to be? (don't mean that in a critical sense, just a thought...)
  • Some 3W torches next thursday.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_15768.htm

Anyone had any experience of these?