Aldi Cycling Gear

Comments

• I managed to get a merino top, winter shirt and a winter jacket, but I had to fight a bunch of savages to get them! All the smaller shoe sizes went straight away, I think some didn't even look at the size. If there was any bib trousers then they must have went as well, coz I looked hard.

One thing I was surprised at was the number of Mercs and Audi cars parked outside, whose owners seemed to match that of those grabbing everything.... professional ebayers as mentioned?
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Bought

Merino top medium
    Arm (medium) and leg (large) warmers, medium leg armers too tight
    Towels

That's it. Gloves didn't look very wintery at all. Shoes size 9 still too small, need 10/11. Overshoes largest size 10/11 still too small pulling really tight over my shoes. Already have windproof tights/bib tights, winter jersey, winter jacket, waterproofs, lock, etc etc so not much in my trolley.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • a bit of a bunfight at my local this morning. most people seemed to be after the shoes.

i picked up a few bits and pieces which i am pleased with. a pair of gloves, bike lock (i know but i don't have one and it's only for when i need to run into a shop quicky), microfibre towels, mudguards and a winter jacket.

would have liked a pair of the winter trousers if they were the same as the jacket but they didn't have my size by the time i got there.

didn't bother with the merino shirt when i noticed that it was only 30%. going to treat myself to an endura baa baa for the winter i think.
  • suzyb wrote:
    [I'd pop out at lunchtime by I seem to work in one of the few areas in the country without an Aldi nearby :roll:

Same here, I'm Aldiless. The quickest I can get to one is Sunday and I'm sure it'll be tumbleweed by then.

I even missed the last Lidl event -I work near one but I was on hols that week so missed the spoke reflectors. Not been my season. Harrumph.
  • yeah but those are twice the price
  • yeah but those are twice the price

directed at me?

2x the price for more than 3x more merino.

prolly worth it if i am going to be using it as often as i plan to over the winter (cycling and running)
  • Spatulala wrote:
    Exeter was a relative oasis of calm by the sound of it at 9.15 this morning. Quite a few Merino tops and only a couple of people scouring the bargains.
    Which Exeter Aldi did you go to? I can only go after work and was hoping for some gloves and the merino top. I'm guessing they'll be sold out when I get there :(
  • Got the Aldi rain jacket and Merino top.

I wanted the white top but they only did that for ladies and it had a pucker in the front for boobies.

Aldi staff are miserable feckers.
  • Damn you skinny cyclists, Damn you!!!! Why can’t you be like the normal UK population and not extra thin, fit and lovers of tight fitting clothing!!!!

Just back from the epic 9 mile drive each way to my local Aldi to get a rain jacket. Well, £19.99 seems a bargain but no, not when you get back and discover XL wouldn’t fit a twig!!! And I am no twig!!!! Oh and while I am ranting, why pray, no XXL or XXXL sizes!!!!

Sigh, so here I am, left yet again with a bit of cycling kit which doesn’t fit. Think I might have to have a chip butty to calm myself down.

(Before anyone shouts at me, I know its my fault for being morbidly obese so please treat the above as a rant more at myself and not at your good, skinny selves. The fact stands however, in that a few XXL sizes would have been nice. Oh I drove there instead of riding as I needed to be back at my desk at midday).
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    essexian wrote:
    Damn you skinny cyclists, Damn you!!!! Why can’t you be like the normal UK population and not extra thin, fit and lovers of tight fitting clothing!!!!

Just back from the epic 9 mile drive each way to my local Aldi to get a rain jacket. Well, £19.99 seems a bargain but no, not when you get back and discover XL wouldn’t fit a twig!!! And I am no twig!!!! Oh and while I am ranting, why pray, no XXL or XXXL sizes!!!!

Sigh, so here I am, left yet again with a bit of cycling kit which doesn’t fit. Think I might have to have a chip butty to calm myself down.

(Before anyone shouts at me, I know its my fault for being morbidly obese so please treat the above as a rant more at myself and not at your good, skinny selves. The fact stands however, in that a few XXL sizes would have been nice. Oh I drove there instead of riding as I needed to be back at my desk at midday).

I echo everything you say - I have bought a bunch of stuff in XL. Tried on the jacket in the store and it was too tight so didnt get that. I suspect that the jerseys I bought will be going back tonight too. Not sure about the shorts - they said they are my waist size but will have to wait and see.

Decathlon seem to be very good at catering for XXL and XXXL - have just discovered them and there is a new one opening in Reading soon.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I don't have any time off till sunday, they will probably have nothing left, I don't want much anyway as I have most things already.
  • Off to see if the one in Glasgow has anything left. Maybe the Pope will get in there before me......
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • essexian wrote:
    Damn you skinny cyclists, Damn you!!!! Why can’t you be like the normal UK population and not extra thin, fit and lovers of tight fitting clothing!!!!

try sports direct.

i looked at the aldi rain jacket and quality wise it didn't seem too different to the ones which sports direct do for the same price.
  • I've got nowt to do with them, but I always go to the day sales at:

http://www.cycle-promotions.co.uk/index.html

Usually held over the weekend at a local venue in the Midlands and North. Theres a good selection of bargains if you get early. I've bought all my mitts and gloves from there. My local one at Newcastle is next Saturday.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    I got a couple of the merino tops, a pair of the mtb shorts and a couple of pairs of socks. Quality looks good fro the price, will see how they go.

I consdiered the overshoes, but they didn't look very well made, so left them.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I did quite well, LS jersery, merino top, lycra long johns and an undershirt, score!
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Found base layers quite expensive compared to a few years ago.. £20 a set, how much are biking base layers other makes? Got a pair already from while ago and weird sizing, leggings are too tight, and top is too loose. lol
  • The soft shell is ace, although took it in large rather than medium, and got a winter jersey too. No merino left, but got set of 4 ankle reflective strip/lights for £4.

Happy!
  • wondering if I should try underwear again, was freezing cold last year even with multiple laters....maybe get medium/large in both try them in the shop :wink:
  • cozy
    cozy Posts: 12
    yeah, I'm really impressed by the softshell. it's great for the money. slight niggle with mine tho: the rear pocket zip is stuck :''(
  • ianlash
    ianlash Posts: 147
    I thought the base layers were a bit overpriced too, but the other clothing looked good. Didn't like the look of the shoes.

I went to the Swanley (Kent) store and got a Merino shirt, 2 winter shirts, 3/4-length MTB shorts (which have a removable padded liner), winter bib trousers, winter trousers, jacket and some socks. Tried them all on (large size) and they all fit really well. Very pleased, so far!
  • How do you try the tights, didn't you get arrested? Are the new underwear leggins/top stretchy? When I put my leggings on feel like I've been shrink wrapped.
  • SPD shoes, winter bib, winter jersey, softshell and cap / overshoe combo. Not a bad haul! :D

Now all I need is SPD peddles...... :wink:
  • You must have tiny feet sworld, those overshoes are designed for babies lol. And the shoes too
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I'm now worried as I didn't try any of my gear on :oops:
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    There seem to have been a few people going to OKR today. Any chance there'll be anything left this evening? Overtrousers and soft shell are top of the shopping list.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Sizes really are wrong. I am a medium (no, not like Doris Stokes) but the large soft shell was perfect.
  • I have to say I was very dissapointed with the merino tops. They just looked like a jumper from tescos. I have a couple Shutt VR team jerseys which have a similar % merino wool but they couldn't be more different. On the other hand the soft shell jackets are a bargain even if the pockets are slightly smaller than last year.

I got some leg warmers, the hivis rain jacket and one of the long sleeve tops.
  • lardboy wrote:
    There seem to have been a few people going to OKR today. Any chance there'll be anything left this evening? Overtrousers and soft shell are top of the shopping list.

There were a only couple of Lady's shell's left by about 9:05 but still plenty of over trousers. Plenty of socks which look good value (merino and sliver technology) at £3. Agree with other comments on the merino jerseys not overly impressed but will give it a chance to settle in.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • I picked up the cap/overshoes combo (there were different sizes so made sure i got a 10-11), some waterproof trousers, winter gloves and one of the big microfibre towels. Not bad for £25 i reckon. Didn't try any of it on so if it doesn't fit, i'm sure someone on here can have anything.

Oh and for baselayers, try mandmdirect. Massively cheaper than most places. I got a nike vest, under armour long sleeved and cantabury leggings for about £35.