Aldi Cycling Gear

aldric
aldric Posts: 161
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Looks like they are going to have a few good items for the winter...

Has anyone ever worn cycling thermal underwear? that sounds horrid!

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _15606.htm

Comments

• Good. Day after pay day.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    What the hell.
  • Think I'll check out that L/S jersey, thanks for the heads up :).
    Cycling Newbie
    I reserve the right to ask dumb questions :)
  • aldric wrote:

Yes, I have the cycling long-johns. There are a good few days they were necessary. I've also worn them as pyjama bottoms when camping. They make a large difference when compared to wearing just bib-tights.
  • aldric
    aldric wrote:

Yes, I have the cycling long-johns. There are a good few days they were necessary. I've also worn them as pyjama bottoms when camping. They make a large difference when compared to wearing just bib-tights.

I thought the thermals would make you sweat like mad and feel horrible sticking to your skin....

How do the cycling specific thermals (which appear to be breathable) differ from base layers?

I was thinking of getting base layers but if these thermals are any good and are indeed breathable?? then they might be worth a shot?

Your in Scotland as well and from what I remember cycle all year round. What would you recommend for winter weather, in particular cycling when its down to 0c or lower outside?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Why come the 30% merino top is men only? Maybe I'll buy one to use as a nightshirt :roll: :)
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited September 2010
    aldric wrote:
    aldric wrote:

I thought the thermals would make you sweat like mad and feel horrible sticking to your skin....

How do the cycling specific thermals (which appear to be breathable) differ from base layers?

I was thinking of getting base layers but if these thermals are any good and are indeed breathable?? then they might be worth a shot?

Your in Scotland as well and from what I remember cycle all year round. What would you recommend for winter weather, in particular cycling when its down to 0c or lower outside?

I found them good for the days I needed them. They are a wicking fabric so they try to take the sweat away from you, so long as your top-layer is slightly breathable, you're OK. Unless it's actually warmer than you think, in which case they get too warm very quickly.

My winter kit consists of:

Top half:

an Aldi L/S top, an Aldi Soft-shell jacket, Aldi Skull cap and an Aldi Buff. Campagnolo Thermo TXN gloves (see, I'm not just cheap)

Bottom half:

Most of the winter I used the Aldi longs and sometimes the thermals, until I had a coming together with the road and wrote them off. I then bought some Biemme Coronado Bib-tights to replace them. The difference is night and day, the Biemme ones are truely excellent. I think Aldi get the top-half pretty good, but go for quality in tights.

ETA: Oh, and I have some Giordana overshoes which are extra toastie.
  • Good. Day after pay day.

same here 8)
  • aldric
    Cheers UndercoverElephant,

I will get a couple of the long sleeve T's as I only have short sleeves just now. Or 2 of the Merino shirts. hmm.

I have one of these at the moment:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-hi ... e=63601390

Which is pretty light weight but seems to do the job and strangely says it is for the winter which is a surpise as it isn't exactly 'warm'. Is the Aldi Jacket a similar or is it designed to keep you warmer.. hard to tell on that picture.

I might have to get the Aldi gloves, not sure my wife will like me buying a £40 pair. Although I imagine you get what you pay for and I will probably change after I get frostbite!!

Thanks for the info on the bibs.

I will try the aldi cap and overshoes for now and might upgrade later.

My shoes concern me. I wore them out when it was torrential rain the other day and they were soaked through. In the winter that would be a disaster.

I might splash out and get some waterproof socks to go along with the overshoes....

I figure hands, feet and head are probably the most important. Keep them warm / dry and everything else should pretty much take care of itself?

Appreciate your input. CHeers.
  • I have a pair of Aldi gloves, and they're warm and comfy. In fact, I usually wear them in preference to my more expensive pair. I also have a pair of the waterproof troosers, which do the job nicely. Wore them today, in fact, as the rain was sheeting down in deepest south Norfolk.

But... the zip bust on the Aldi jersey I had after not many wears. Still, that Merino top looks a must-have at that price.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • Yeah, the gloves would be a tough sell for £40. I got them for £25 in a sale. Also they're very bright orange and reflective too, so good for hand signals.

Can't really see what material they've used for the jacket you linked to, but it looks like a waterproof style. The soft-shell ones are only water resistant, but warmer, IMO. Again, I can't tell what the one from Aldi is this year, either.

Keeping shoes dry is a tough one. If you can, get full mudguards on your winter steed (see Orbea, below), this stops the road water coming up and into your shoes, to me that's the vast majority of the shoe water. If you have these, then the only stuff coming in is the stuff falling from the sky, which decent overshoes should be able to cope with. A lot of people recommend the Sealskinz waterproof socks. I might try these this year.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Hot Orange wrote:
    I have a pair of Aldi gloves, and they're warm and comfy. In fact, I usually wear them in preference to my more expensive pair. I also have a pair of the waterproof troosers, which do the job nicely. Wore them today, in fact, as the rain was sheeting down in deepest south Norfolk.

But... the zip bust on the Aldi jersey I had after not many wears. Still, that Merino top looks a must-have at that price.
    The zip went on my Aldi jacket as well. It ripped at the bottom which makes zipping it up very fiddly.

Going to get either a long sleeve shirt or merino layer, a pair of overshoes and maybe a pair of gloves though.
  • I've got lots of Aldi stuff, and a flourescent rain jacket, where the zip just opened itself, was the only bad bit. The gloves are really good; I've splashed out for more expensive fingerless gloves, but winter gloves, I just have no need of anything else. They're good.,
  • aldric
    Keeping shoes dry is a tough one. If you can, get full mudguards on your winter steed (see Orbea, below), this stops the road water coming up and into your shoes, to me that's the vast majority of the shoe water. If you have these, then the only stuff coming in is the stuff falling from the sky, which decent overshoes should be able to cope with. A lot of people recommend the Sealskinz waterproof socks. I might try these this year.

I have full sks guards on the bike:

Focus.jpg

I was a bit surprised how wet my feet got, it was only a 15 minute ride but it was torrential rain!

Sealskinz and the aldi overshoes seem to be the way to go.

I can see me spending a few quid in Aldi on Thursday!
  • I found the aldi overshoes very cheap and they soon wear out every time you put your foot down i got a tear.

For base layers i use the aldi compression long sleeve tops in the biggest size and i find these are great .

For legs i use a pair of running tightts but i will be after some of the leg warmers if i get chance to go down.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Hi
    Are the shoes any good, I am just about to venture into my first try of spd and have been looking for some entry level shoes and these certainly fit the bill as afar as price goes
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Why come the 30% merino top is men only? Maybe I'll buy one to use as a nightshirt :roll: :)

Why come the use of English in this post is so far below commonly accepted standards
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    spen666 wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

Why come the use of English in this post is so far below commonly accepted standards

At least she knows how to use a question mark! :lol:
  • I see Aldi doesn't open till 9am (in Ipswich, at least). That's a bit of a blow - I was hoping to get in nice and early on the way in to work.

I hope all the good stuff isn't gone by the time I get to pop in on the way home.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Hot Orange wrote:
    I see Aldi doesn't open till 9am (in Ipswich, at least). That's a bit of a blow - I was hoping to get in nice and early on the way in to work.

I hope all the good stuff isn't gone by the time I get to pop in on the way home.
    +1

I'd pop out at lunchtime by I seem to work in one of the few areas in the country without an Aldi nearby :roll:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    spen666 wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

I was aiming for the absolute bottom. Next time.
  • Just got to work having stopped by the Aldi on the Old Kent Road. It was like the first day of the Harrods Sale with cyclists and professional eBayers queuing outside.

Managed to get out with a couple of Merino jerseys, 3 pairs socks and a towel (no arm warmers left) and my life but only just!!

The Merino jerseys went within 20 secs people just grabbing what they could, hope they have more stock or there will be a lot of disappointed people later.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Heh. You must have been in the same queue as me waiting to go in. Talk about a bun fight. I managed to bag a merino top and pair of winter gloves before heading off.

I did note that if you weren't in the first wave of people, there's no way you were getting one of the merino tops. Like you say, gone in 20 seconds.

E2a: which of the cyclists were you? Lake shoes? Bontrager shoes? Or DHB shorts?
  • ketsbaia wrote:
    Heh. You must have been in the same queue as me waiting to go in. Talk about a bun fight. I managed to bag a merino top and pair of winter gloves before heading off.

I did note that if you weren't in the first wave of people, there's no way you were getting one of the merino tops. Like you say, gone in 20 seconds.

E2a: which of the cyclists were you? Lake shoes? Bontrager shoes? Or DHB shorts?

dhb shorts, grey top over a black base layer. Riding Pace RC200 Fixed Gear.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • ketsbaia
    You were leaning on the bike racks waiting for the shop to open?

I was in civvies this morning as I left my bike at work on Tuesday and wasn't in yesterday. Probably looked like a professional eBayer. :D
  • Exeter was a relative oasis of calm by the sound of it at 9.15 this morning. Quite a few Merino tops and only a couple of people scouring the bargains.
  • ketsbaia wrote:
    You were leaning on the bike racks waiting for the shop to open?

I was in civvies this morning as I left my bike at work on Tuesday and wasn't in yesterday. Probably looked like a professional eBayer. :D

Yup correct, your surveillance skills are impressive!!
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • ketsbaia
    I knew it'd be mostly cyclists there this morning and suspected there might be one or two Bikeradar/SCR people there. Also spotted a cycling advocate bloke from TfL who works in the surface travel department.

Funny to see everyone move swiftly to the back of the shop as soon as the doors opened. Glad I wasn't wearing spd shoes, though. The extra traction I had from my normal shoes got me to the merino shirts just in time.
  • cozy
    cozy Posts: 12
    bought one of those merino tops earlier but took it back. horrible fit, no pockets in the back, just not very nice altogether. professional ebayers are welcome to mine.

the softshell otoh is amazing. really nice fit, good quality, nice detailing. very pleased.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Went for, and got, a pair of the waterproof trousers, which look pretty good especially for a tenner. Not manic down here, but there was (as usual) a guy getting armfuls of stuff!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011