Aldi Cycling Gear

Comments

• Might go to deparment store probably find long johns and top...also want stretchy undergarments, found my nylon ones aren't. And since they're close to the skin/relatively tight need to be.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    Quite a bit left in the York (Monks Cross) store at lunchtime.
    Got myself sock and gloves.

Sadly no shoes left, and bib-trousers only in small and medium.
    Loads of jackets / waterproof trousers / gloves and other bits left, and no other cyclists in there.
  • and no other cyclists in there

Lol no suprise there I was only cyclist looking bloke, looking at me as I was browsing.

So are the undergarments strethy or .... £20 isn't too bad I guess, if it's cut for cycling. So that Merino base layer not very good, £15?
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Quite a bit left at lunchtime in North Finchley. Got a merino top and some ugly gloves. The merino top is about a size smaller than the label says, or as the expensive makes would say "Italian sizing" and it really does look like a primark/tescos jumper
  • mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    Go the merino wool jersey, seems very itchy against the skin, anyone else tied it on yet?
  • stevie63 wrote:
    I have to say I was very dissapointed with the merino tops. They just looked like a jumper from tescos. I have a couple Shutt VR team jerseys which have a similar % merino wool but they couldn't be more different.

What did you expect? I saw the merino top through the packaging and put it straight back. I'll stick to my Shutt's thanks.
  • dugliss
    mzm70 wrote:
    Go the merino wool jersey, seems very itchy against the skin, anyone else tied it on yet?

Yeah, quite tight and itchy, wouldn`t fancy wearing it without a base layer. And Mrs Dugliss saw me trying it on and laughed out loud saying that I looked like her dad and should save it for my xmas jumper :oops:
  • The soft shell is ace, although took it in large rather than medium, and got a winter jersey too. No merino left, but got set of 4 ankle reflective strip/lights for £4.

Happy!

bit worried now because i never tried on the soft shell. i got one in xl last time and it's too big for me now so i just picked up a large.

if it's more like medium then i don't think it'll be fitting me :?
  • mzm70 wrote:

I'm sitting here in winter socks, merino shirt and leg warmers! The top is a little itchy around the neck - bearable at rest but the real test will be getting toasty in it.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Heh. You must have been in the same queue as me waiting to go in. Talk about a bun fight. I managed to bag a merino top and pair of winter gloves before heading off.

I did note that if you weren't in the first wave of people, there's no way you were getting one of the merino tops. Like you say, gone in 20 seconds.

E2a: which of the cyclists were you? Lake shoes? Bontrager shoes? Or DHB shorts?

Lake shoes was me, how come I didn't spot you?!

The arm / leg warmers either weren't there or went even quicker than the Merino tops. Got one of the latter and some rather ugly MTB shorts.
  • mzm70 wrote:

Yep same, not wearing that without a base layer!
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • MatHammond wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Heh. You must have been in the same queue as me waiting to go in. Talk about a bun fight. I managed to bag a merino top and pair of winter gloves before heading off.

I did note that if you weren't in the first wave of people, there's no way you were getting one of the merino tops. Like you say, gone in 20 seconds.

E2a: which of the cyclists were you? Lake shoes? Bontrager shoes? Or DHB shorts?

The arm / leg warmers either weren't there or went even quicker than the Merino tops. Got one of the latter and some rather ugly MTB shorts.

Maybe we should have a bike radar reunion tomorrow morning when we take back all the stuff that doesn't fit / itches / looks cr@p..... :D
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    MatHammond wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

Ha. No way. I was stood just behind you.

I was in civvies, though, so you can be forgiven for not recognising me. I, on the other hand, should be shot at dawn. :D
  • plife
    plife Posts: 97
    Picked up top and bottom base layers and winter jersey....and the same for the missus. Still had quite a variety of sizes in Gravesend. Under 60 notes for 6 items, can't go wrong!!!
    Boardman FS Pro 2010
    Felt F5 2011
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    essexian wrote:
    Damn you skinny cyclists, Damn you!!!! Why can’t you be like the normal UK population and not extra thin, fit and lovers of tight fitting clothing!!!!

Just back from the epic 9 mile drive each way to my local Aldi to get a rain jacket. Well, £19.99 seems a bargain but no, not when you get back and discover XL wouldn’t fit a twig!!! And I am no twig!!!! Oh and while I am ranting, why pray, no XXL or XXXL sizes!!!!

Sigh, so here I am, left yet again with a bit of cycling kit which doesn’t fit. Think I might have to have a chip butty to calm myself down.

(Before anyone shouts at me, I know its my fault for being morbidly obese so please treat the above as a rant more at myself and not at your good, skinny selves. The fact stands however, in that a few XXL sizes would have been nice. Oh I drove there instead of riding as I needed to be back at my desk at midday).

any interest to you?
    http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Products/134/speg-360hv-dwr-cycle-jacket-high-visibility.aspx
  • Picked up about 8 items from aldi in Hull. One good thing about living in a city full of BSO's is that when some kit comes along it isn't all gone in a flash. That being said therewas a Q at 9am and if you wanted shes and didn't camp outside you had no chance.

I got about 8 items including the high viz waterproof I went for. Just cycled home (13miles) in it and it was very tight arounf the armpit area as if it weren't wide enough. Other than that it was great and looks like it could turn a half hour shower no problem. The rear pocket is roomy and easy to close with gloves on and the napolean pocket is well placed. The winter trousers were great with plenty of padding and manages not to make me look like a golf club with a potbelly... which is nice. I also got the baselayer and having never had one I have nothing to compare it too but it certainly kept me toasty. The waterproof trousers look good.

I got the merino jersey also and it feels really nice on and looks the part. All in all im satisfied with what I got but I just wish that for stingy commuters like me that I didnt have to fudge some excuse to come into work late and behave like a 19yr old in oxford street on boxing day.
    FCN 4 dependant on beard

Boardman cx pro on slicks

"It CAN live in the house and we DO have room for another"
  • The Northampton store had piles and piles of everything at lunchtime. Got a few things to keep me warm through the winter. I only intended to cycle in good weather but I'm hooked.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stopped by Aldi on my way over to Ribble Cycles today (bob off a C2W voucher and pick up my bargain Campagnolo Ventos and Crud Racer Mk2 mudguards).

I spent...........£104 :lol: In Aldi :lol:

I got - two soft shells size medium (like another poster, disappointed that white was girlie specific but never mind - if I get flattened wearing the black one, I'll know who to blame....)

2 Winter jerseys size small. Still perhaps too long in the body. Only work for commuting as the pockets are uncomfortable if loaded. But then commuting is what I got them for.

1 Merino - size medium (for some reason, the smallest size) - slightly too loose. Not sure about this. Ditto others re scratchiness but not much point if you need a baselayer. Might hang on to it for a few days before deciding if it goes back. Obviously Shutt it ain't but curious to compare and contrast!

Shoes - size 9 rather than 8 as they are a bit narrow in my usual size. Still, gives me more space for air and socks which I need due to slightly bad circulation. SPD cleat mounts which is good as the new bike will be getting MTB pedals (I need metal cleats on metal pedals with the miles I'm doing). A bit wierd the toe studs screw in - what's all that about? They don't look too bad anyway. Count myself lucky I found any to fit as there were only about 4 pairs left.

Gloves - maybe good, maybe not. We'll see.

Hat and overshoes set. The hat seems worth it - if the overshoes last it will be a bonus.

1 towel!

Could hardly manage to carry my haul out of the shop. Surprisingly busy with cyclists at 9am for Bradford.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Didn't get to Aldi today :(

We had leaving drinks for one of the guys at work so I was too late. Really hope I'm the only cheap cyclist in Carluke.
  • Were the arm warmers just a rumour ? They were the only thing I was looking for - 100% absent at N Finchley...
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Popped into one near work today and was surprised to see stuff wrapped this year...i.e. not hung up - saves space.....

Picked up the overshoes for me (as a cold morning option rather than use my expensive waterproof ones) and the pannier rack for my missus - she's asked for one with a spring clip thingy - Aldi came up trumps...

Popped into the one near home this evening, and picked up the waterproof for me - grbbed the medium, and it's a close fit which is great..... can't be having flappy fabric everywhere - my old waterproof for commuting is getting old and flappy...........
  • dugliss
    Were the arm warmers just a rumour ? They were the only thing I was looking for - 100% absent at N Finchley...

What time did you go in there, they had some at lunchtime
  • I went in our local branch yesterday after work expecting there to be not much left, but they had loads of everything including the wool shirts.
    Got a pair of size 10 shoes (first set of proper cycling shoes in 25 years of cycling woo-hooo!!!) and a red winter jacket.

Came to work in them this morning not bad at all, might get some proper SPD's for the shoes though they're a bit slippy with normal pedals, and they'd be utterly useless if I didn't have toe clips.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,125
    got the wool shirt yesterday, a bit big - but will do for winter wear with something under it!
  • Wore the Merino home last night and back in this morning without a base layer and the initial itchiness seems to have disappeared with a little sweat. Had to put a summer top over it to get the pockets but all things considered a comfortable ride.

Socks appear to be excellent, found them very comfortable and there's no mistaking my bright yellow towel in the changing rooms !
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • I tried on the waterproof trousers, overshoes and cap and the gloves when i got in last night ans they all fit perfectly. The overshoes and cap were a proper bargain as i was looking at spending £20 on just the overshoes and the cap seems really useful. I've seen people moaning about the overshoes being tiny but there were a load of different sizes where i went and i just made sure i got the 10-11's. I did notice a fair few pairs of 3-5 though so people might have grabbed them by mistake.

Was slightly embarrassed when the gf came home and found me wearing every item along with my new polaris waterproof jacket :oops:
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    the merino top seems ok, might test it out on ride in a bit

got some reflective bands, socks and winter jersey and quite pleased

might go get a winter jacket, for commuting the stuff is great
  • got a Merino top - good as a layer, bit thin for this time of year on its own, nice nd comfy tho

also bought a new softshell top, got a few of these now and they're great, real staple of my winter wardrobe, this latest one has skier thumbholes in the cuffs so won't get that thin cold wrist band as it rides up past my gloves, better set out pockets on the back too.

was going for a winter jacket today in my local one but the dogs vet bill last night and Mrs SBIB putting the rear light glass through hitting a post in the car park has eaten the rest of my spare money for the months
  • I was away in glamorous Uxbridge, with no chance of getting out at 9 am (a room full of delegates who have paid 1200 squid for my time), but I got a friend to get me the Merino jersey and the overshoes/hat combo. Will pick them up from her soon, and see what I think!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Were the arm warmers just a rumour ? They were the only thing I was looking for - 100% absent at N Finchley...

Picked a pair up in Tottenham today. The last pair too. Just beat another cyclist who took too long locking his bike up!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!