Orange 2010 P7 Custom Build - Home Grown & Watered!

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I'm going to be devil's advocate here and ask how much it weighs ;) (don't think anyone has already?)

or how much that thing is worth :shock:

i'd love to have a rough idea how much it would be to build a bike like that, but i'll understand if DMA wants to keep that to himself :wink:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Easy enough, go on CRC and look up every item on his spec list. probably around £3k
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Nice bike matey.bling bling..
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I said it in the million page long thread before, and I'll say it again.. bloody lovely mate, you've dont a great job, loving the silver Thomson kit and Renthal bars 8)

I personally don't see what the fuss about the pedals is either, DX's are great pedals.. I have some god-awful looking Da Bomb camo flats on my black and red carbon 456, which look hideous, and don't match the colour scheme, but I couldn't care less, as when I'm riding the bike, I can't see them. Also, the pedals are usually one of the first components to get trashed/scratched on my bikes, so colour doesn'tbother me. Plus, my pedals, although they look awful, are grippy as hell :)

It would be a bit rude to only ride this on sunny days though.. otherwise, you'll need to build another bike for winter.. which would rule you out of riding this winter at least!! :P :lol:

I hope it rides as good as it looks though fella, I still want pics in her natural habitat!! :)
  • I look at all these build threads and wonder how much some of these bikes will get ridden. After putting so much time and effort into making them look good, (and don't get me wrong, I think this bike looks awesome), won't you be a bit reluctant to throw it down a mountain? Or bail out on a bad jump and see your bike disappear down a hill, making nasty tortured metal noises as it goes?
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Boy Lard wrote:
    I look at all these build threads and wonder how much some of these bikes will get ridden. After putting so much time and effort into making them look good, (and don't get me wrong, I think this bike looks awesome), won't you be a bit reluctant to throw it down a mountain? Or bail out on a bad jump and see your bike disappear down a hill, making nasty tortured metal noises as it goes?

Mine gets ridden every day, without fail, on and off road, on some pretty hectic terrain. It's what I built it for :)
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    I'm going to be devil's advocate here and ask how much it weighs ;) (don't think anyone has already?)

Not actually sure at the moment as I haven't weighed it, i'll have a go on my bathroom scales after the weekend for some comedy figures but as a guess I'd say around 28-30lbs ish, its deffo not a weight weenie bike but a strong XC, all day machine.

Just for a bit of fun, post what weight you think it'll be and the closest one gets a virtual cookie :lol:
    andy46 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

or how much that thing is worth :shock:

i'd love to have a rough idea how much it would be to build a bike like that, but i'll understand if DMC wants to keep that to himself :wink:

I haven't added the receipts up yet but I'd guess at the 2.5k mark-ish?

SCO77YBOY wrote:
    Nice bike matey.bling bling..

Stav83 wrote:
    I said it in the million page long thread before, and I'll say it again.. bloody lovely mate, you've dont a great job, loving the silver Thomson kit and Renthal bars 8)

I personally don't see what the fuss about the pedals is either, DX's are great pedals.. I have some god-awful looking Da Bomb camo flats on my black and red carbon 456, which look hideous, and don't match the colour scheme, but I couldn't care less, as when I'm riding the bike, I can't see them. Also, the pedals are usually one of the first components to get trashed/scratched on my bikes, so colour doesn'tbother me. Plus, my pedals, although they look awful, are grippy as hell :)

It would be a bit rude to only ride this on sunny days though.. otherwise, you'll need to build another bike for winter.. which would rule you out of riding this winter at least!! :P :lol:

I hope it rides as good as it looks though fella, I still want pics in her natural habitat!! :)

Thanks again matey, much appreciated & I agree with you fully on the pedals :D

As for the only riding on sunny days it was said with tongue in cheek as thats what some on here would have you believe :roll: I'll answer Boy Lard's comment here as its relevant, I will use the bike as much as possible, and it won't matter what time of year it is as well, but you are right that it'll be hard to see the bike damaged and scratched etc, at least at first, but I don't know anyone that has had a new bike, be it £200 or £2000 that doesn't get upset at the 1st battle scar it gets, but its really then that you start riding the bike with reckless abandonment and really enjoy it for all its worth :D
  • Glad to hear it, would be a shame for such a pretty bike to get stuck in doors. Thrash it to death and build another. :D
  • Da Mighty Chicken
    Da Mighty Chicken Posts: 1,200
    edited September 2010
    Boy Lard wrote:
    Glad to hear it, would be a shame for such a pretty bike to get stuck in doors. Thrash it to death and build another. :D

I like your thinking, now, to convince the wife :shock: :lol:
  • looks amazing, you have clearly put a lot of thought into the detail.

Regarding the pedals, I got knocked and susequently abused for having flats on my bike, i gave in and bought some "proper" pedals, I must admit i'm glad I was weak and gave in. Its your money though so you do what you like. It does need so mud though!!!
    Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp (10)

Carrera banshee (10) the heaviest bike in the world, but my god is it strong....grrrrrrrrr

http://original.justgiving.com/richardeniffer
  • looks amazing, you have clearly put a lot of thought into the detail.

Regarding the pedals, I got knocked and susequently abused for having flats on my bike, i gave in and bought some "proper" pedals, I must admit i'm glad I was weak and gave in. Its your money though so you do what you like. It does need so mud though!!!

Cheers :D

I had so called 'proper' pedals on my last bike, admittedly it was some time ago but I just had generally a horrible time with them, maybe I just need to take some proper time with them and learn how to use them also I didn't know anyone else with some so I couldn't get any setup tips etc.....

But even with that said, I'm maybe a little old skool but I like flats, always have, I don't ride in competitions and I like being able to just dab when needed or wanted without any hassles, one less thing to think about / go wrong / set up.

I think if I ever get an XC racier style bike I may just try the clipless again but for now I'm absolutely happy as Larry, and we all know how happy he is :lol:
  • Spugnut
    Spugnut Posts: 128
    That really is a classy build DMC. Super clean and a great choice of bits.
    Happy trails.
  • Spugnut wrote:
    That really is a classy build DMC. Super clean and a great choice of bits.

Thankyou kind sir :D
  • I came online, just to look at this again! Superb choice of componentry, and colour. Inspired me to change a few bits on my own bike. Enjoy it!
  • I came online, just to look at this again! Superb choice of componentry, and colour. Inspired me to change a few bits on my own bike. Enjoy it!
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Don't worry about the pedals, i have DMR V8's on my spark and i'm always getting told they look wrong.

do i care??? NOPE!! :lol:

Flats all the way :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • It's a real head-turner. I bet the first time you take it out, everyone will be staring.
  • Twilheimer wrote:
    I came online, just to look at this again! Superb choice of componentry, and colour. Inspired me to change a few bits on my own bike. Enjoy it!

Thanks matey, & what bits you looking to change and what for? You got a bike thread up on this forum? :D
    andy46 wrote:
    Don't worry about the pedals, i have DMR V8's on my spark and i'm always getting told they look wrong.

do i care??? NOPE!! :lol:

Flats all the way :D

I'm glad I'm not alone on this, FFTW (Flats for the win) :lol:

It's a real head-turner. I bet the first time you take it out, everyone will be staring.

Thanks, it really looks alot nicer in the flesh as well (I would say that though) :lol:
  • Twilheimer wrote:
    I came online, just to look at this again! Superb choice of componentry, and colour. Inspired me to change a few bits on my own bike. Enjoy it!

Thanks matey, & what bits you looking to change and what for? You got a bike thread up on this forum? :D

I'm yet to get a thread up actually! Will do that now! Well your bikes the 3 colours that just work (for me personally) on bikes! I had to go out and get some silver bits haha
  • Hi chaps,

Just a bit of an update.

You may remember from my previous thread that I had a suspected cracked steerer tube, well after last weekend I had occasion to be in the TFTuned area so I popped in to see them, as I was previously in contact with Mike there. His impression was that it should be ok but he wanted to be extra sure so he kindly arranged to have my forks sent away to Rock Shox warranty team, this was last Monday, well today I spoke to Mike and he told me that RS thought the same as him, that it'd be ok but they didn't want to take any chances, so they replaced the steerer and upper crown, so the forks are in transit as we speak and will be back with TFTuned tomorrow!

So I only waited a week and its all sorted, and the best thing is that TFTuned have been amazing, the forks were bought from another retailer but as I had some work done on them not so long ago, they told me that they wanted to look after their customers, so they did all the work and totally sorted it for me, shipping and all, they are also the nicest bunch of people as well, we were made to feel most welcome when we popped in to see them even though they were busy, and Mike especially has been mustard, I can't thank them & him enough.

Also, as RS would rebuild my forks as they'd normally do, this would undo all the work that I paid TFTuned for, Mike to the rescue again told me he'd re-do them for me when he get thems back tomorrow.

Needless to say that they will get all of my fork related business in the future, its very rare to get good service these days, but exceptional service is almost non-existent, top class
    :D
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    great to hear that companies like tf tuned and RS have great customer services. nothing better than dealing with great people. glad it's been sorted out so well mate
  • sooo have you ridden it yet?
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    This is quite easily the best looking bike I have ever seen 8)
  • sooo have you ridden it yet?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    sooo have you ridden it yet?

+ heavily ridden potato
  • Aww man, I want new pics!
  • bigboned
    bigboned Posts: 151
    Nevermind the thoughts of battle scars just don't let some toe rag nick her!
    For the muddy - Boardman comp frame ( to match the roadie) running saint/ fox
    For the blacktop - Boardman Pro Carbon

'Currently listening to Motley Crue's Girls Girls Girls'
  • Hmm I'm starting to think this bike is jsut for the wall.

Unless i see a pictures so with mud and scratches soon, i declare this a BSO and a wall ornemant.
  • Bill-87
    Bill-87 Posts: 155
    Gobsmackingly gorgeous
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    How are you finding the Renthal bars with regards to flex and hand position?