Incoming - tube strike

14567810»

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    JZed wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    [so they can protect their jobs/income/incompetence.

OK - back that up!!

And

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23866764-runaway-tube-train-travels-three-miles-on-london-underground.do

Contractors didn't follow procedure - that's an easy one. :lol: 8)

Even if it wasn't tube employees responsible for all these incidents, its hardly the fault of the passengers that there is a need for job cuts. Its the passengers who bear the brunt of the transport unions going on strike over and over again. The unions should look to the party they funded who squandered the taxpayers money and left us in the situation were there is a need for widespread cuts just to keep the country afloat.
  • JZed wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    W1 wrote:

OK - back that up!!

And

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23866764-runaway-tube-train-travels-three-miles-on-london-underground.do

Even if it wasn't tube employees responsible for all these incidents, its hardly the fault of the passengers that there is a need for job cuts. Its the passengers who bear the brunt of the transport unions going on strike over and over again. The unions should look to the party they funded who squandered the taxpayers money and left us in the situation were there is a need for widespread cuts just to keep the country afloat.

ok that's a very amusing satire of a coalition supporter. :lol::lol:
    Hello! I've been here over a month now.
  • jzed
    JZed wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    W1 wrote:

OK - back that up!!

And

ok that's a very amusing satire of a coalition supporter. :lol::lol:

Politicians are all as bad as each other, as are Unions. They are all self-serving. I just stated two facts 1) it is the passengers in an over-crowded city who will feel the brunt of the strike and 2) there are widespread cuts affecting the whole country - because of the Government of the day and the banks. Would the situation have been the same with another government. Probably but to the same extent - I doubt it - but we'll never know.
  • enough of this side-track.
    *groan* :wink:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Separated at birth: electric_blue / Bob Crowe

:twisted:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    W1 wrote:
    you don't know if i'm in a union - i haven't told you i am.

Are you or aren't you?

I'm not going to say. I believe we should be able to have a reasonable discussion about the issues without personalising it.

Can you?

It completey changes your perspective and opinion (both "personal") so of course it goes to the heart of the discussion.

Anyway, we'llt take that as a yes then (you may as well have just said "yes").

Why aren't you striking?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    W1 wrote:

It completey changes your perspective and opinion (both "personal") so of course it goes to the heart of the discussion.

Anyway, we'llt take that as a yes then (you may as well have just said "yes").

Why aren't you striking?

Probably a different union?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jzed
    Was pleasantly surprised with the standard of cycling this morning. Were a few more people on the roads but they seemed happy to keep left, file in behind at traffic lights. Suppose the more the Unions strike the more experienced the additional cyclists are getting.

Lets see what its like in the dark tonight......
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JZed wrote:
    Was pleasantly surprised with the standard of cycling this morning. Were a few more people on the roads but they seemed happy to keep left, file in behind at traffic lights. Suppose the more the Unions strike the more experienced the additional cyclists are getting.

the strike starts late tonight... it's wednesday that will have the traffic clusterfu<k
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JZed wrote:

the strike starts late tonight... it's wednesday that will have the traffic clusterfu<k

Oh great, Wednesday, the motorcycle parking protest will just add to the fun then.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Oh great, Wednesday, the motorcycle parking protest will just add to the fun then.

Woohooo! I'm in Berlin!

Oh and welcome back Porgy. What's the rules on new aliases for banned people?
  • blimey - the assumptions people make.
    I don;t rely on anyone to tell me what to think - unlike most ES readers.

I lol'd.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    notsoblue wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Bugger.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • W1
    If the RMT is striking for safety rather than jobs, then I wonder what would happen if there was a proposal which improved safety but decreased staff levels which TFL refused to implement. Would the RMT go on strike then?
  • notsoblue
    W1 wrote:
    If the RMT is striking for safety rather than jobs, then I wonder what would happen if there was a proposal which improved safety but decreased staff levels which TFL refused to implement. Would the RMT go on strike then?

Probably. They're striking now primarily because of jobs. I'm sure the safety angle is still valid, but given how much of a PR battle industrial action like this is, you can understand why they're making more of that than their jobs.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Probably. They're striking now primarily because of jobs. I'm sure the safety angle is still valid, but given how much of a PR battle industrial action like this is, you can understand why they're making more of that than their jobs.

No. It's because it's sunny. They've all taken "personal days".
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    No. It's because it's sunny. They've all taken "personal days".

it IS sunny! Very nice too bar playing dodgems with the naughty leaves on the racetrack!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Are the strikes a good thing for London cycling as a whole?

I've had a bit of a ramble on my blog, but do think that the more frequent they are the more chance we've got of our numbers increasing...

Anyone else think the same?
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • W1
    lastant wrote:

I've had a bit of a ramble on my blog, but do think that the more frequent they are the more chance we've got of our numbers increasing...

If they get more people onto their bikes, of course they are good for cycling. Of course that doesn't make them "good" in general. Don't forget the 7/7 bombings got a lot of people onto their bikes, but no-one would argue that they were "good".....
  • notsoblue
    W1 wrote:
    lastant wrote:

If they get more people onto their bikes, of course they are good for cycling. Of course that doesn't make them "good" in general. Don't forget the 7/7 bombings got a lot of people onto their bikes, but no-one would argue that they were "good".....

Every silver lining, eh W1? :P

If it highlights cycling as another (and surprisingly convenient) method of commuting for people who may not have considered it seriously before, then its a good thing for cycling in London. The more its normalised, the better.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    W1 wrote:

I did mean it in a sense of getting people onto their bikes, in much the same way you've said on the 'Bugger! Tube Strike!' thread...

...which I didn't see until after posting on here, sorry!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • W1
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    lastant wrote:

Every silver lining, eh W1? :P

If it highlights cycling as another (and surprisingly convenient) method of commuting for people who may not have considered it seriously before, then its a good thing for cycling in London. The more its normalised, the better.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm supporting the strikes, even if they are to the benefit of cycling in London (which I do support).
  • notsoblue
    W1 wrote:
    I don't want to give the impression that I'm supporting the strikes, even if they are to the benefit of cycling in London (which I do support).

Yeah, because having a nuanced opinion is like having none at all, right? :P
  • W1
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Yeah, because having a nuanced opinion is like having none at all, right? :P

You are being mischevous today!

I simply don't want to appear to be contradicting myself.....

OK?