Incoming - tube strike

amnezia
amnezia Posts: 590
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Looks like we could be on for a tube strike Monday from 5pm.

It was chaos last year..

Expect to see a few more people on bikes.

Comments

• Super dooper scalp fest tastic.

You guys better watch out there will be all sorts out to claim roadie scalps :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    What's up their chuff this time?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Stuey01 wrote:

someone took the seat off their boris bike and they didn't notice...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • amnezia
    Stuey01 wrote:

Same as always..

£30k is not enough... boris bikes are stealing our jobs etc..
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    I have no greater pleasure than getting on my bike each day to avoid paying £2k to a load of work shy f*ckwits. Why on earth would I want any of my hard earned cash helping put food on Bob Crow's table?

Last time it was the cars that were the issue, the world and his dog trying to drive into central London.
  • That's the first time the managing director of London Underground has ever sent me an email suggesting cycling might be my best transport option. It struck me as a bizarre way to run a public transport system. I might cycle up to one of those stations and see what those walking maps are all about.
    I am writing to let you know that the RMT and TSSA have called a 24 hour strike on the Tube next week. If the strike goes ahead, Tube services are likely to be disrupted from early evening on Monday 6 September and will not return to normal until Wednesday morning.

Where possible, we will keep stations open and will run as many trains as we safely can. Please check before you travel to see how services are affected.

A wide range of alternative transport is available. Cycling or walking may also be practical options for many.

For the latest information including details of guided cycle rides, visit tfl.gov.uk

Walking maps will be available at all mainline rail, busy Tube and bus stations.

Yours sincerely,
    Mike Brown
    Mike Brown
    Managing Director
    London Underground
  • The cuts in operational staff are getting ridiculous, it will start to have an impact on customers soon.

A lot of stations are at minimum staffing levels now, deep level tube stations have to have a minimum level of staff to remain open. I fear that some open section stations will be unmanned a lot more than they are at the moment.

PS; we're not all workshy f*uckwits.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,181
    spursn17 wrote:
    You can prove that to us by not going on strike next week. Taking it out on the customers who pay your wages is complete f*ckwittery.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I didn't think TFL were trying to stop stations being manned altogether or reduce the safety aspect. Isn't the strike about closing ticket offices/reducing ticket windows at non-peak times since most people these days seem to have Oyster/Prepay and therefore the ticket staff are twiddling their thumbs while selling a single ticket an hour?

Besides strikes really don't help get the general public on side; they just make Bob Crow even more unpopular. Going to work but leaving the gates open (while covering the Oyster point so that PAYG don't pay) would keep public sentiment with you and annoy TFL more.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    spursn17 wrote:
    You can prove that to us by not going on strike next week. Taking it out on the customers who pay your wages is complete f*ckwittery.

I'm not striking, and I have nothing to prove to you.

Do you like it when someone says 'all cyclists jump red lights'?
  • Stevo_666
    spursn17 wrote:
    I'm not striking, and I have nothing to prove to you.
    Good for you - now see if you can persuade the f*uckwits who want to strike that it's a stupid idea and bl00dy selfish.
    spursn17 wrote:
    Do you like it when someone says 'all cyclists jump red lights'?
    I couldn't care less if you do or not.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Tis a shame really, cos an awful lot of people that use the tube can quite easily walk, and most certainly cycle.

Tonight for example I walked 25 mins (3 tube stops) to get from work to a bar. Everyone else made their own way and took the tube.

Obviously annoying for all those that can't walk/cycle, but it's shame because there is an alternative for lots of people, they just need to know that it's not that hard to walk for half hour :D
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    spursn17 wrote:
    The cuts in operational staff are getting ridiculous, it will start to have an impact on customers soon.

A lot of stations are at minimum staffing levels now, deep level tube stations have to have a minimum level of staff to remain open. I fear that some open section stations will be unmanned a lot more than they are at the moment.

Boris Johnson's manifesto:
    Make Transport More Convenient - By halting the proposed Tube ticket office closures, and ensuring there is always a manned ticket office at every station.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/G ... ifesto.pdf

Then yesterday he was saying that we shouldn't have people sitting behind glass panes reading novels, very diplomatic!
  • prj45
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    spursn17 wrote:

Did it occur to you that some people choose to strike to ensure the service is acceptable and not cut back too much?
  • Stevo_666
    prj45 wrote:
    Did it occur to you that some people choose to strike to ensure the service is acceptable and not cut back too much?
    Bit difficult to provide an acceptable service when they are on strike :roll:

Do you really think that Bob Crow and his posse of union dinosaurs are only interested in maintaining a service to the public? If they really wanted that they wouldn't remove the service that we want by striking.
  • amnezia wrote:
    Looks like we could be on for a tube strike Monday from 5pm.

It was chaos last year..

Expect to see a few more people on bikes.

Tube strike? I take the Tube once, may be twice per month. I really couldn't give a monkey's @rse....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I say good on them, worker's rights are worth protecting. Even if I did take the tube to work, I'd support this. Its not like its unexpected. Sometimes punctuality and BAU has to make way for whats right.
    Its just a shame that some of their union representation so unpleasant and self-serving.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    I say good on them, worker's rights are worth protecting. Even if I did take the tube to work, I'd support this. Its not like its unexpected. Sometimes punctuality and BAU has to make way for whats right.
    Its just a shame that some of their union representation so unpleasant and self-serving.

+1
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Is it all tubes or will my continentals be okay??
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    notsoblue wrote:

+1.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • notsoblue wrote:
    If it really were the case that tube workers were downtrodden members of the proletariat then fine but the fact is their self serving unions have londoners over a barrel and workers already have some of the best working conditions in the city! And bob crow has just been voted an inflation busting pay rise himself
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • If it really were the case that tube workers were downtrodden members of the proletariat then fine but the fact is their self serving unions have londoners over a barrel and workers already have some of the best working conditions in the city! And bob crow has just been voted an inflation busting pay rise himself

And arent' those working conditions worth protecting?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    If it really were the case that tube workers were downtrodden members of the proletariat then fine but the fact is their self serving unions have londoners over a barrel and workers already have some of the best working conditions in the city! And bob crow has just been voted an inflation busting pay rise himself

And arent' those working conditions worth protecting?

Exactly. I don't buy this common opinion that workers with good working conditions don't have a right to defend them. Many people feel resentment of other's situations and would rather criticise them than seek to improve their own.
  • prj45
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Do you really think that Bob Crow and his posse of union dinosaurs are only interested in maintaining a service to the public? If they really wanted that they wouldn't remove the service that we want by striking.

Withdrawal of labour is about the only way of making a point though by the looks of it though.

I believe in some countries they still run the service, but they open the gates so the public can use it "for free", although you'd be breaking the law if you took advantage of this, certainly in the UK.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Did this start today? Saw some right spanners riding through reds, ped crossings with kids on, weaving. :roll:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • prj45
    cjcp wrote:
    Did this start today?

Starts this evening apparently.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Grrr Bob Crow.

I can't think of a more umpleasant individual to be represented by. He's actually one of the primary drivers for me starting to commute by bike.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • amnezia
    cjcp wrote:
    Did this start today? Saw some right spanners riding through reds, ped crossings with kids on, weaving. :roll:

no that was skyride :wink:
  • cjcp wrote:

Innit