OT - Couples and buying stuff together

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sewinman wrote:

According to what my dad has just been through (again) - you have to declare all global assets at divorce proceedings including bank account balances, regardless of whose name they are in. The judge decides how they are split. Your divorcee can come back at a later date if you have not declared all assets and demand more.

You would basically have to hide your assets for them to not be at least considered. Not a very nice way of conducting a marriage!

That's why you make em contribute to the purchase, preferrably half!
    Nice guys finish _____. (clue: not first)

A gentlemen always "arrives" after the lady.

Bom chika wah wah!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Bom chika wah wah!

Yeah and like that happens in reality :roll: :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Wow, Lits, you are in some kind of hard nosed ball breaker mood today!

I really don't think its an issue for you anyway, what with you being a girl. You won't be paying maintenance, or selling the house etc as they won't get custody. Just keep your bingo wins secret!
  • DonDaddyD
    So why no smut given we're talking about LiT's assets?

Her hair obviously - its insured for millions!

Too busy trying to find out who her beau is?

is it you!

Sure I'll find out at the chrimbo party.... may start a sweep stake...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

And there I was empathising with Mrs DDD.

Finding yourself having to take the financial lead?

You strike me as the type not to be so willing to put your money into a single pot with Mr L_i_T.

Well, yes.

And it depends really, I've never had a joint account but it seeems like a logical idea for joint expenses. However, any large assets purchased with essentially my contribution would be protected from divorce proceedings.

According to what my dad has just been through (again) - you have to declare all global assets at divorce proceedings including bank account balances, regardless of whose name they are in. The judge decides how they are split. Your divorcee can come back at a later date if you have not declared all assets and demand more.

You would basically have to hide your assets for them to not be at least considered. Not a very nice way of conducting a marriage!

I never said it was nice.

Nice guys finish _____. (clue: not first)

If one trusts someone that little, then one shouldn't be marrying them. What would be the point?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Is this the one where the mouse befriends the bulldog or is it the one where the mouse has a cousin in Mexico?

Genuine lol...
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited September 2010
    Sewinman wrote:

I really don't think its an issue for you anyway, what with you being a girl. You won't be paying maintenance, or selling the house etc as they won't get custody. Just keep your bingo wins secret!

Heehee nah, on the topic of marriage/cohabitation this is my general view, whichever day you ask me. :)

Yeah, I don't tell them about the bingo wins, they've all been crystallised( so to speak) anyway!

EDIT: and the concern is more where I'm bringing more in the way of assets to the party, or contributing more, or in the event of my untimely demise...
  • Sewinman
    NGale wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You strike me as the type not to be so willing to put your money into a single pot with Mr L_i_T.

Well, yes.

And it depends really, I've never had a joint account but it seeems like a logical idea for joint expenses. However, any large assets purchased with essentially my contribution would be protected from divorce proceedings.

Offshore bank accounts are the way to go it seems :roll:

He tried that!
  • DonDaddyD
    edited September 2010
    NGale wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Bom chika wah wah!

Well if it takes the breaking of a bed, its your own damn fault for being so stubborn!?

Was this pre or post mint tingle?
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Well, yes.

He tried that!

Yeah, they don't work. Ask my sister.
  • NGale
    Sewinman wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Well, yes.

He tried that!

Switzerland it seems is best, failing that being part of a very rich family with friends in the right places and an old school tie.
  • Swiss Secrets laws will only get you so far...
  • NGale
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Bom chika wah wah!

Well if it takes the breaking of a bed, its your own damn fault for being so stubborn!?

Was this pre or post mint tingle?

:lol::lol:
  • Sewinman wrote:

Hmm.

I know a woman who got to keep the kids, sell the house, and pay maintenance to her former spouse.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Hmm.

I know a woman who got to keep the kids, sell the house, and pay maintenance to her former spouse.

Yeah, that's my fear.
  • NGale
    Swiss Secrets laws will only get you so far...

It worked for him in his instance. Any really good lawyer would have fought all the way, but then she didn't have the money for a really good lawyer. She was also slightly limited in the fact she had been the one to commit the adultry which by all accounts limits what she could try and get
  • Swiss Secrets laws will only get you so far...

Meh.

You want to be a beneficiary of a discretionary trust, where the trustees are a couple of BVI or Cayman corporate trustees, with corporate directors incorporated somewhere like Panama. Make the shareholders some more trustees. Nothing belongs to you, but everyone takes your words as gospel.

So I've heard...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited September 2010
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Hmm.

Yeah, that's my fear.

You don't need to worry. That woman is really successful.

(oh, it's just too easy to knock those ones right out of the stadium... :D )

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    So you've hidden this stuff away so nobody can find it. Presumably you can't spend it or someone will realise and the game's up, so remind me what the point is.

Just a thought, but if you do have children, all these assets from either party could be put into trust for the children, then the kids are set up nicely, and neither parent has any major assets worth fighting over. Probably some major issue I've overlooked, bu you wouldn't need to hide anything then.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I thought pre-nups weren't worth sh*t in this country? Quite right too, nobody makes you get married (well not usually anyway...)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Greg66 wrote:

Meh.

You want to be a beneficiary of a discretionary trust, where the trustees are a couple of BVI or Cayman corporate trustees, with corporate directors incorporated somewhere like Panama. Make the shareholders some more trustees. Nothing belongs to you, but everyone takes your words as gospel.

So I've heard...
    You work in The Firm, Greg?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    All this talk of Divorce is making me :cry:

All I wanted is for Ms DDD to help pay for some things a bit more.

I'm now going to have to buy her something... thanks!
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry wrote:
    So you've hidden this stuff away so nobody can find it. Presumably you can't spend it or someone will realise and the game's up, so remind me what the point is.

Just a thought, but if you do have children, all these assets from either party could be put into trust for the children, then the kids are set up nicely, and neither parent has any major assets worth fighting over. Probably some major issue I've overlooked, bu you wouldn't need to hide anything then.

The reality is that 99.99% of people need their assets day to day to support the lifestyles that they choose to lead. The notion of having enough spare to be worth hiding doesn't arise until you get to a pretty rarefied level of wealth.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:

Meh.

So I've heard...

ORLY? Now that's something I've never heard of before... ;)
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Meh.

So I've heard...

Let's just say I know a guy, who knows a guy.

Y'know? :wink:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    All this talk of Divorce is making me :cry:

All I wanted is for Ms DDD to help pay for some things a bit more.

I'm now going to have to buy her something... thanks!

Ditch her and buy yourself a new bike every six months with the money you have saved.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Sewinman
    Greg66 wrote:

Meh.

So I've heard...

Or you could go low tech and get a deposit box and fill it full of bearer bonds.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Greg66 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Meh.

So I've heard...

Let's just say I know a guy, who knows a guy.

Y'know? :wink:
    capiche
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    Greg66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

The reality is that 99.99% of people need their assets day to day to support the lifestyles that they choose to lead. The notion of having enough spare to be worth hiding doesn't arise until you get to a pretty rarefied level of wealth.

Well quite. I imagine, for most, the only significant asset is the house, which is jointly owned anyway. It's not worth getting a lawyer involved over a couple of ISAs and a National Savings account.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    Greg66 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

When you get to that level people go to far reaching lengths to try and claim, steal or usurp your hard earned wealth. Happened to my Grandad.

I think this is why, in western society mostly, people try and go out with, marry, date people of similar social, moral, professional standing. I could be wrong - it isn't something I would subscribe to.
    Food Chain number = 4