Silly Commuter Bike Weight

Comments

• 14.5Kg with panniers
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Might be useful/helpful more interesting to also say which make, model and year of bike.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    My trek 1000 is anywhere between 15 and 20kg fully loaded. Its amazing how much junk you need to take to school everyday. The weight on the back wheel does help with traction when its icy and my 23c slicks are a bit out of their depth though :roll:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    2009 Trek District with SKS chromoplastics, Shimano Alfine 8speed hub, 28 mm Conti 4 seasons and it weighs in at 10,5kg. Not too shabby me thinks.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • itboffin
    Ribble winter = 21.5lb
    Trek 1.7 = 18.5lb
    Dolan CX = 20lb (no chain or rear mech)

Damn those bikes are heavy, god knows what my MTB weighs
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Ribble winter = 21.5lb
    Trek 1.7 = 18.5lb
    Dolan CX = 20lb (no chain or rear mech)

Damn those bikes are heavy, god knows what my MTB weighs

lightweight ;-)
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    itboffin wrote:
    Might be useful/helpful more interesting to also say which make, model and year of bike.

Might be useful to include this request in the opening post of the thread..... :wink:
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    We are suddenly so far behind the game...
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/eur ... oad-frames
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Barron Fixie:- 6.8kg - 14.9 lbs
    Dave Russell Fixie:- 7.7kg - 16.9 lbs
    On ONe Scandal: 9.8kg - 21.6 lbs

Pretty light for steel framed bikes!
  • 15kg or there abouts: 1970 BSA Wayfarer. Weighs more with the pannier loaded or the occasional bike-frame or case of beer zip tied to the rack. Still, it's claimed a few roadie-scalps on my humble commute which contains 2miles of a local tt, there's always roadies out traiining on it and I sneak up on them when they're blown or cooling down.
    The looks you get when they see you on their wheel.
    3spd Sturmey provides 1st 62.5 GI 2nd 70 GI and 3rd a whopping 93 GI.

I never commute on my road bike but my fixie inc weighs 8kg, with a 73.5 GI
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Not a clue to be honest...a little heavier now I have the pannier rack on, but lighter than any other bike I have owned.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Focus Variado = 7.7kg
    Focus Cayo = 6.6kg
  • Hmm, not sure on the commuter bike. I'll need to strip it down to individual components to get an accurate figure, but I'll get a guestimate tonight with the suitcase scales.

I do know that my NRS weighs 10542g and my XTC weights 10604g.
  • NGale
    mind you given my weight (a touch over 12stone :cry::cry: ) it doesn't matter how heavy the bike is :!:
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    15kg or there abouts[
    Pah! Lightweight!!

I get 18kg. That;'s with a frame pump, rack, light on rack, baby seat mount (but no babyseat).

My weird handlebars are probably good for a couple of Kg: Raask Jota bars on a Thorn 220mm Adjustable stem. So I end up "on the hoods" - roughly - with MTB controls.

Seens like next time I'm wandering round the North of Scotland I could take a a road bike, with an FS MTB on the back...
  • itboffin
    Saved 62g

104g
    4966883751_bf21dc1b86.jpg

vs

42g
    4966884265_2f35b3f497.jpg

also saved 8g by replacing my bottle cage screws with shorter screws :roll:
  • itboffin
    oh and 3g by removing an unused cycle comp wheel magnet
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    They may be 62g lighter, but I'm not convinced they look man enough for the job. Mind you this is your For Alp Use Only bike. Make sure you empty your pockets before you set off, or you could completely cancel that saving out.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    Yeh the month and a bit pretty much off the bike plus the extra 4lbs i've gained it's gonna be a walk in the park :?
  • NGale
    itboffin wrote:
    oh and 3g by removing an unused cycle comp wheel magnet

and 5oz removed from unwanted leg hair? :wink:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Helium in the tyres?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Just saw this thread and had to answer my own curiosity about the Pompino which is the day to day machine. With guards and rack (no pannier bag), comes in at 10.75 kilos. I need to lose about that much weight so hopefully come the day that happens it will be like riding thin air.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Cheapest and easiest way to save weight - no clothes. Obvious really.........

Wonder if I can get cleat bolts mounted directly into my feet :?
    (Might cause problems when I want to use SPDs though......)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    17lbs is about 7.75 Kg for the BMC Racemaster SLX01, 2009 model.

I probably need to lay off the G&T, wine & cake, but that would mean having to find something nicer for breakfast. :wink:
  • Hmm, not sure on the commuter bike. I'll need to strip it down to individual components to get an accurate figure, but I'll get a guestimate tonight with the suitcase scales.

I do know that my NRS weighs 10542g and my XTC weights 10604g.

Focus weights 23.5 on the luggage scales.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Given the lardiness of the rider perched on top, neither the weight of the Sirrus (11Kg or so?) or the old 531 (more like 13Kg) really matter...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I popped "Double H", the Kona, onto the scales when I got home on Friday, and I'm pretty shocked at just how heavy he is. Fully laden, indcluding guards, rack, lock, pannier with a days working clothes and a bottle of water, he's 50lb. 23 Kg! No wonder I'm using lower gearing on the commute than I expected to.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • My old Trek MTB commuter weighs 18kg without my daily bag of stuff.

Out of curiousity, I weighed each axle with me on it: front 32kg, rear 66kg. I weighed 76kg, so there is a 4kg discrepancy which is likely due to the garage floor not being perfectly level.

My bike's weight distribution is about 2:1, so I inflated my rear tyre to 6 bar and my front to 3 bar to try out the theory of equal droop/equal contact patch on front and rear. I will let you know how that works out in a few days!
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Thread resurrection!

Weighed the Tricross at the weekend; it's coming in just over 11kg with rack, guards and lights. Difficult to be a weight-weenie when I'm using a Tricross for commuting...
    FCN 2 to 8