A shaggy dog story

Comments

• Raphe
    Raphe Posts: 48
    That's a good point, I will.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    there does need t be a balance of understanding between all users of an area where dogs could be.

i wouldnt take my dogs onto specific cycle tracks, that would be asking fo trouble. but if im on a bridleway and someone comes joggin along, they need to realise i need a brief moment to recall my dogs and put them on their leads, we have as much right to be there as anyone. if someone cycles past, they need to appreciate the same and i will keep up my end of the deal by having my dogs close enough to be able to recover them in less than a few seconds.

there are a lot fo cyclists here who think tey own the countryside, hve you considered my dogs dont want you noisy clattering buzzing hunks of metal rushing past them? would you hurtle past a horse and rider with gay abandon? i doubt it, i thnk you should pay the same respect to hounds when out and about.

Spot on. Everyone needs to make concessions in shared spaces and when everybody does there's no problem. Bikers aren't kings of the trail, and neither are dog owners, horse riders, or anybody else. Bikers need to adapt their behaviour around kids/dogs/horses etc. and slow down/stop/move over or whatever's called for at the time, not buzz them or carry on as if they weren't there.

Likewise dog owners need to make sure their dogs are under control and not impeding or harassing people (obviously within reason, clearly it's a bit give and take).

A bit of common courtesy and consideration on all sides and everybody can go on their way no problems.

Unfortunately in my experience the group least likely to hold their end up are dog owners- sorry sheepsteeth!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    no need to apologise, i agree is the honest truth. id love it if you had to be licensed to own a dog and the application for a license should attract a test of some sort to make sure you have the mental capacity tio be a good dog owner.

simple rules would help everyone such as:

if you see a dog on a lead, put your dog on a lead, if it is wandering about it is because it is a friendly dog, if it is on a lead it might be nervous or badly behaved and wont want your un ruly mutt running up to it and making it behave out of character

keep your dog on a lead around crowded areas, no one wants to be licked and jumped up at and sniffed by a big slobbery bugger

avoid cycle paths, there are bikes on them

make sure your dog is within recall distance when using bridleways as you are not the only people using the earth.

and so on and so forth.

i am so awesome i should be incharge of stuf like this i reckon.
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    Today at Gisburn forest. I was heading out of the car park with my dad, a single bloke on his bike was out coming towards us, with his sheep dog out in front. My dad went past, no problem, I slowed down slightly to the right to let the dog/cyclist past, following where my dad went.

For some reason the dog simply went for me and bit my leg. I felt a sharp pain, but thought, probably a friendly nip as sheep dogs do from time to time. Anyway stop a half mile on and check my leg to find 2 puncture wounds from the dogs canine teeth and blood. The wound was about 3cm square cuts/graze and the 2 puncture marks.

Well we ended up doing the red run after I cleaned it with some antiseptic wipes and dressed it. We got back home and we visited the local surgery where, after a lot of faffing with paperwork and a visit from the doctor (the nurses on call aren't allowed to make the decision regarding dog bites anymore)
    Ended up having it cleaned/iodine patch, dressed and needing a tetanus injection as well.

Now my dad was furious at the time, it's always harder to be calmer when a family member is hurt I guess. But I'm in two minds about the whole episode.

I certainly didn't provoke the dog, I was simply going slow to let them past, straight, no sudden movements etc. but I understand that it wasn't a vicious attack, if it had wanted to it could have done a lot more damage to me. The guy who owned the dog didn't know anything about it it seemed. He was about 25 metres down the track.

Personally, I'm not a fan of people cycling with their dog out front off the lead, especially on a busy trail centre like Gisburn. But that's my opinion and there are no laws regarding that I don't think.
    Still, what would have happened if the dog had bitten, even playfully, the numerous children riding around? Their parents would have been absolutely on the war path.

Anyway that's my experience on this debate at least. Probably biased though :D
  • Anonymous
    im gonna need to see pictures before i believe that, and even then i wont care.
  • NDawn
    edited August 2010

Believe me or not. As you so eloquently put, I don't care either. It happened, the 45 minutes spent at the treatment room waiting for a tetanus jab wasn't conjured up in my head. But why the hostile reply? As a dog owner you should know that this kind of thing happens. Personally I've been nipped before by sheep dogs up on a farm my dads friend runs. Obviously with me moving in this instance has caused a bit more damage than if I were walking.

If this dog had nipped a child, there would be cries of destroy the dog, the owner was irresponsible, personally I'm not a fan of having dogs on the trails but I certainly don't bear any hostility to ether the dog or the owner. It's just a shame that it ended up me having to have a tetanus shot as a precaution.

I'm trying to give my view on the situation. Some people would have screamed bloody murder if they needed a trip to the treatment room at a local surgery after a dog nipped them!

Anyway if you're unwilling to entertain opinions from the other side of the fence then this thread isn't going anywhere.
  • Anonymous
    NDawn wrote:

Believe me or not. As you so eloquently put, I don't care either.

in that case: not.
  • NDawn
    NDawn wrote:

Believe me or not. As you so eloquently put, I don't care either.

in that case: not.

Suit yourself. The reason I'm not taking a picture is I'm not removing the dressing/iodine patch just because you don't believe me. Anyway I've said my piece.

Edit : Ok, pic of my dressing I just took. But then no doubt I'll have just faked it.

345c12r.jpg

I can't believe I've been reduced to posting a picture of my dressing on an internet forum. Oh, and the stain on the dressing is the iodine patch they applied to the area, then they put the large dressing over it, and then a bandage over the top. Then they gave me the injection.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537

Believe it or not Sheeps but dogs do random things, even the most well trained dogs can suddenly turn for no reason, even yours could.
  • Anonymous
    Briggo wrote:

Believe it or not Sheeps but dogs do random things, even the most well trained dogs can suddenly turn for no reason, even yours could.

no chance, my dogs are legends, like me.

NDawn, that looks fake.
  • Anonymous
    NDawn wrote:
    Edit : Ok, pic of my dressing I just took. But then no doubt I'll have just faked it.
    This looks shopped.
    I can tell from some of the pixels, and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.
  • NDawn
    I had BP knock it up for me now they've finished in the Gulf.

Anyway what's done is done. I bare no ill will, I just hope that the owner stays a little closer to his dog in the future. Especially on a flat, narrow 2 way section.
  • Anonymous
    to be fair, you would expect a cyclist to be a more aware dog owner. riding with your dog in a guaranteed person free area is one thing, when riding where you will most likely encounter other folk, it should make common sense to keep it on a leash.
  • if you are being chased by a dog, best thing to do is stop.

agreed the dog shouldnt be chasing you in the frst place but the best thing to do is stop, dogs invariably think they are playing with you.

Yep, I slow down anytime a dog gives chase. And I don't mind if they do tbh, yeah it can be an inconvenience, but it's a dog. Dogs run around and chase things.
  • NDawn
    to be fair, you would expect a cyclist to be a more aware dog owner. riding with your dog in a guaranteed person free area is one thing, when riding where you will most likely encounter other folk, it should make common sense to keep it on a leash.

Agreed, we passed a couple of people with dogs, granted they were walking but when we were approaching the dogs were called back to make sure they weren't in harms way, that's my first thought when walking my parents dog, I like to think most people call their dogs back and control them so they don't get hurt. I know I do. I never entertain the idea that I'm controlling them to stop them biting/nipping someone :)

But as you say, letting a dog get that far in front on a busy bike trail, I'd be nervous to say the least, mainly for fear of my dog getting injured.

But as I said, overall no damage done. My calf muscle would be missing if the dog had actually meant harm to me. My main issue is the reaction of the parents had it happened to a small child.
  • Anonymous
    shame you couldnt tell the owner, if he was a responsible type (although that behaviour lends itself to the contrary) he might be able to control his dog better if he knew it was the kind of hound to give someone a bite.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    NDawn wrote:
    I can't believe I've been reduced to posting a picture of my dressing on an internet forum

No, we can't either.

Just when I think Sheeps has hit his peak, he manages to pull something 'special' out of the bag :wink:
  • Anonymous
    PM Dawn was black. that leg is fake.
  • Briggo
    Briggo wrote:

Well done you for such an achievement.
  • Anonymous
    Briggo wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

thank you, thats very kind of you.
  • Briggo
    Briggo wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

thank you, thats very kind of you.

No problem.
  • Where i used to live was right out in the sticks, we would put the dog on a lead when walking through fields of animals. All other times the dog would be off the lead. On the rare occasion we did meet someone, we would get the dog on the lead. We would warn them that the dog would be likely to bark at them.

If there was another dog we would get ours on a lead asap, it got very aggressive around others. At one stage we did get a muzzle for it as it got so bad and eventually trained it a bit better. It was used to even remoter surroundings in Scotland. There was one occasion where we couldn't get 2 dogs apart during them scrapping, the other guy kicked our dog away, not hard - but firmly enough. We had no quibbles, infact if he hadn't done it our dog would probably have been killed, the other dog was huge and only defending itself.

The only time it ever went for a human was when they tried to walk into our house, for some reason there was one person in the village that the dog would not let through the door, obv we put it in another room when that happened.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • NDawn wrote:

I can't believe I've been reduced to posting a picture of my dressing on an internet forum.

This is a joke right?

It's a funny one... I will give you that! :)
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Briggo wrote:

NDawn, that looks fake.

I will say that kind of complacency might just catch you out one day.
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Anonymous
    i'll catch you out one day in a minute.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Got chased by a big dog today, passed its ownerwho was calling it back but it took no notice, it was trying to bite my front tyre as I was riding, looked bloody scarey so upped the pace and hit a narror trail with a fence on one side and brambles on the other, every time the dog would try to overtake I steer close to the fence or the brambles and he'd back off , really started to enjoy myself - think the dog was having a good time as well, the owner? well we left him miles back :lol:
    Don't think, BE:
  • Anonymous
    haha, thats awesome.

to be fair my dog would love to chase bikes if we let it. i was sizing my bike up in the kitchen last night and she went mental trying to jump up at me on it.

luckily, we keep her on a lead for exactly this reason.

me and wife are taking her out tomorrow with the bike to try and see if we can desensitize her to bikes.
  • i was sizing my bike up in the kitchen last night

That sounds almost like you were eyeing the bike up and down deciding whether or not to fight it! :)
  • Anonymous
    Razor1548 wrote:
    i was sizing my bike up in the kitchen last night

That sounds almost like you were eyeing the bike up and down deciding whether or not to fight it! :)

to be fair it did make me spill my cocopops :lol:
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Don't think, BE: