A shaggy dog story

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited September 2010 in MTB general
I was out for a quick spin this morning along a cycle path. I went past a dog walker and the cnut slipped his dog off the lead as I passed. The dog goes for me barking like mad and snapping at my heels. I shit myself and stomp on the pedals going as fast as I can, I cant believe it the bloody dog keeps up with me.

I am now pedalling flat out (stupid singlespeed wheres the high gears when you need them) the dog is going flat out barking at me. I come to a gateway that has a honking great big concrete block in the middle to stop cars going through. Barking dog is busy trying to bite me and not looking where its going and goes SMACK full tilt into the block.

Result! hopefully in future the stupid cnut dog owner will think twice about letting his bloody dog off the lead to chase cyclists.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i like dogs more than bikes.
  • Anonymous
    Another fail for singlespeed. :lol:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    stubs wrote:
    Barking dog is busy trying to bite me and not looking where its going and goes SMACK full tilt into the block.
    Result!

I had to shout at one to STAY THERE the other day. The dog nearly shat itself and the owners where visibly startled. As I passed they thanked me for bollocking the disobedient mutt.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    stubs wrote:
    I was out for a quick spin this morning along a cycle path. I went past a dog walker and the cnut slipped his dog off the lead as I passed. The dog goes for me barking like mad and snapping at my heels. I shoot myself and stomp on the pedals going as fast as I can, I cant believe it the bloody dog keeps up with me.

I am now pedalling flat out (stupid singlespeed wheres the high gears when you need them) the dog is going flat out barking at me. I come to a gateway that has a honking great big concrete block in the middle to stop cars going through. Barking dog is busy trying to bite me and not looking where its going and goes SMACK full tilt into the block.

Result! hopefully in future the stupid cnut dog owner will think twice about letting his bloody dog off the lead to chase cyclists.
    :lol: Stupid animal, shame you couldn't have done the same thing with the owner!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Poor fella. You should have slowed down or stopped completely and let it bite you. That way the poor cnut wouldn't be having a concussion. Like sheepsteeth, I like dogs more too.
  • Anonymous
    if you are being chased by a dog, best thing to do is stop.

agreed the dog shouldnt be chasing you in the frst place but the best thing to do is stop, dogs invariably think they are playing with you.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    He probably thought you were having a jolly game of chase. You should have stopped, he probably would have sniffed you a bit and then decided you weren't that interesting after all (unless you had a bacon sandwich he could smell) and wandered off.

I too like dogs more than bikes.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Another example of foolish dog owner leading to their dog getting in to trouble.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Bang on stubs

I was on the beach with my 2 year old son a few weeks ago playing footy and my lad was running to get the ball, this dopey fookign woman lets her dog off the lead right were we are playing it chases my son and the ball, he bends down to pic up the ball and the dog does the same in nips my lads finger, I run over and kick the dog square in the chops and pic my son up, the owner comes over and has a go at me for kicking her dog!!!!!!, I know the dog didn't do it on purpose but the women should have some thought.

I explain that I can call the police and make my case have to dog destroyed as it "attacked" my lad.

She goes off one one saying my son should have stopped runnung......he's 2 ffs :roll:

any dog comes near me it will get a boot (provided it's not huge lol) owners should be more responsible for there dogs in every way.

rant over :oops:
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    J L wrote:
    Owners should be more responsible for there dogs in every way.

+1. I don't mind dogs but I do wish owners would show a bit more consideration. IMO if they're releasing their dog into a public shared area it's up to them to keep it out of everybody else's way, not for everybody else to put up with it.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Whether theyre pets or not, dogs are animals and always will be, a firm kick to the torso is perfectly acceptable after its attacked you or someone. Let nature take its course.
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    I like dogs (grew up with one), but i don't like them on trails and i don't like them chasing me. Where i ride there is a huge common and a relatively small area dedicated to bikers, but still they walk up the runs, dog off leash, bloody stupid and dangerous to riders and them
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798

agreed the dog shouldnt be chasing you in the frst place but the best thing to do is stop, dogs invariably think they are playing with you.
    Some people (like me) aren't particularly fond of dogs and aren't very confident around them. If there's a dog chasing and barking at me (especially if it's a big one), am I going to stop, even if it's supposedly the sensible thing to do? Am I fuck! I'm going to get out of there ASAP!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I usually stop, the dog carries on barking, and the owner stands there. Come over here and get it on a lead you tard before I cycle off into the distance with it chasing me.
  • Anonymous
    ilovedirt wrote:

Some people (like me) aren't particularly fond of dogs and aren't very confident around them. If there's a dog chasing and barking at me (especially if it's a big one), am I going to stop, even if it's supposedly the sensible thing to do? Am I fark! I'm going to get out of there ASAP!

it is often easier said than done i suppose.

as it happens i would never let my hounds off their leads around cyclists and my hounds are very well disciplined. as far as im concerned all of these situations can be avoided with some good dog ownership. me and wife RE are very careul dog owners especially as people seemto get all upset around rottweilers for lord only knows what reason.

also, if anyone kicked my dog, i would beat them until i couldnt lift my hands.
  • Raphe
    Raphe Posts: 48

as it happens i would never let my hounds off their leads around cyclists and my hounds are very well disciplined. as far as im concerned all of these situations can be avoided with some good dog ownership. me and wife RE are very careul dog owners especially as people seemto get all upset around rottweilers for lord only knows what reason.

Could not agree more on all points
  • LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    ilovedirt wrote:

Some people (like me) aren't particularly fond of dogs and aren't very confident around them. If there's a dog chasing and barking at me (especially if it's a big one), am I going to stop, even if it's supposedly the sensible thing to do? Am I fark! I'm going to get out of there ASAP!

+ 1

Irresponsible dog owners are a menace, but little do most people know, their excited/scared/anxious behaviour actually causes problems. Pets or not, ALL dogs are primal and instictive and react to the "energies" around them.
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425

even if your dog inadvertently bit some one? because they would be well with in their rights to kick your dog to get it off or away from the situation.

I have also had dogs all my life (Labradors, Alsatians, Retrievers) other than since I was married, and I agree there are lots of good dog owners around, dogs don't scare me in the slightest I have full confidence that I know how to react in their company, but the owners of dogs do scare me as lots of them have no idea how to control said pooch.

as for dogs fouling......don't even get me started on that
    :evil: :evil: :evil:
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    LeighM wrote:
    Irresponsible dog owners are a menace, but little do most people know, their excited/scared/anxious behaviour actually causes problems. Pets or not, ALL dogs are primal and instictive and react to the "energies" around them.

It's not people's excited/scared/anxious behaviour that causes problems, it's dog owners putting them in that situation when they were going about their business that causes problems.
  • Anonymous
    MrChuck wrote:
    LeighM wrote:

It's not people's excited/scared/anxious behaviour that causes problems, it's dog owners putting them in that situation when they were going about their business that causes problems.

very much so, avoidance in the first place is the only way to be a responsible dog owner.

i work with professional dog handlers alot at the moment and even they say that a dog has a kind of bubble around it, inside that bubble you can make the dog do as you want, once they leave that bubble it is impossible to get them back if they have taken a shine to something.

we always keep our dogs and their mess under contol, i wish other dog owners would do the same.
  • Raphe
    Raphe Posts: 48
    People not picking up their dog’s crap drives me insane. Last year I was out with my two dogs and I stopped to talk to a mate. I only realised my Great Dane had an upset stomach when he sprayed a load of diarrhoea across the bonnet and door of a fairly new Audi TT.

I cleaned up the road and car, paid for a valet and bought the owner a bottle of single malt to say sorry.

I’ve never eaten korma since.
  • stubs

This is what happened the last time a dog went for me. No fucking way am I stopping
    4904525195_2422a865f7_z.jpg
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    I think the issue often is that the dogs have and higher IQ than their owners......

It does amaze me the blatant stupidity of people- loose dogs on paths around bikes= chaos

we were in Haldon Forest recently and met a family off around part of the blue route on bikes with a Labrador puppy- we pointed out that dogs are not allowed on that part of the route- due to a herd of cows that graze the heathland (interesting obstacles those cows!!- but the normally move if you ring a bell!), and the mother got a plastic bag out of her pocket and said 'Its OK we pick up after her' I tried to explain loose bullocks, loose dogs and kids on mountain bikes dont mix and she smiled dumbly at me. We gave up at that point!

We like Haldon, but its best to go early to miss the less intelligent users!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • Is it socially unacceptable to pet the dog, kick the two year old... and then ride off laughing heartily? ;)

*waits for parents with a child fetish to take offence* :)
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    If your dog chases, jumps up, barks or intimidates in any way then it should be on a lead when it might come into contact with other people. I really like dogs but please don'thave it jumping up, getting in my way or running into me. I had a staff run into me when I was running it really hurt and almost knocked me over, I almost came to blows with owner, who took offence to me calling him a f"cking d"ckhead and telling him to keep his f"cking mutt on a lead, funnily enough he grabbed his dog and ran to his car when I got close enough for him to realise I was six inches taller than him and at least four inches broader at the shoulders, 'tis odd how touble evaporates when people realise you were standing further away and down a step than they thought :roll:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • where was the owner when it happened?
    so, you dont need to be guilt.
    I wouldnt like to have a dog biting me when i'm ciclyng. I have a Bike , not a Dog.
  • stubs
    Dogs seem to be getting out of control round my way at the moment. My mate Paddy was walking with his 3 year old nephew down to the shops for an ice cream little nipper is playing with a Yo Yo. A dog comes barreling out of a gate grabs the Yo Yo and tries to run off with it unfortunately the string is looped round the finger of little Jack. Paddy is shitting himself trying to get the kid and dog seperated but the dog wont let go and he cant get the loop of string off the screaming kid. Luckily a guy sees whats happening jumps out of his car and boots the dog so hard in the ribs my mate reckons it went about 4 feet in the air.

3 hours in childrens A&E at Ormskirk hospital and a kid who is shit scared of dogs was the result.

So forgive me dog owners if I dont like your crapping barking biting fleabags but I just want to go out without feeling threatened. If you feel the need to own a penis substitute please muzzle the bloody thing and keep it on a proper lead not some piece of wind up knicker elastic.
  • .blitz
    There has been some kind of plant blight on the Chase since last year and in sensitive areas of woodland, there are signs up requesting dog owners to keep their dogs on a lead. Rode past a couple last night who had paused by one of the signs while their dog was going berserk in the undergrowth :roll:

A lot of dog owners also have the misconception that everybody wants their 'lovely' dog running at them and jumping up etc., which is not the case. I don't dislike dogs, but I don't want to roll around on the floor with them either. I don't let my kids run up to people and annoy them, and neither do I ride up to dog owners and expect them to be in awe of my bike just because it's something that I have an interest in.

Bring back the dog license I say.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    .blitz
    Agreed, my aunt had a rottweiler/doberman cross. He was friendly for the most part, but was quite young, very 'energetic' and obviously an intimidating dog to see bounding towards you. One day he went galloping over to some poor woman in the park who was obviously sh*t scared, he started jumping up at her as my aunt casually sauntered over whilst shouting 'it's ok, he won't hurt you, he's very friendly'....Despite the fact that he'd nipped a neighbour a few days before. He did it again and was 'taken away'.

But that's what bugs me, owners might think that he's going to be fine, but he's not under the owner's control, and something that the innocent person does to get the dog away might piss him off and make him bite. I've ridden past people who tell me their dog is going to bite me because he "doesn't like bikes", but don't call the dog back or anything. If your dog does stuff like that, it shouldn't be off a lead.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • .blitz
    bails87 wrote:
    'it's ok, he won't hurt you, he's very friendly'
    Heard that one a few times :)

Or 'Oh I'm sorry' when Rover gets his head stuck in the spokes