I need a solution...

Comments

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    DDD - You should be able to change the chain and cassette on the GIant yourself fairly easily. I did on mine and the only blip I had was working out chain length, didn't realize how much I'd stretched the previous one until I lined it up next to the new one!! Ended up counting links........
    I also think your crazy spending 70-80 on tyres for a commute bike. My Gatorskins have survived my commuting and even did the Magnificat with all that sharp flinty sh!te all over the place! I think Conti even do a "upgraded" GS now with improved puncture protection for about £20-25 each.

Can't help with the route much but can feel your pain regarding having to use PT, the thought of a job I can't cycle too fills me with dread!

Also as someone pointed out you can take bikes on trains heading OUT of London during rush hour IIRC as you are effectively going against the main flow of users. Haven't you still got ITB's SS? If so could leave that at the far end and use one of your existing bikes to get to Liverpool Street and hop on train sans bike?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Right so repair the Giant and the parts that need to be repaired or change it into a single speed.

Deal with the Kharma seperately.

What if buying a single speed like a Langster or Fuji Track (in black as it should be) or Capo (canondale) or Felt Dispatch works out cheaper than the cost of repairing the Giant.

To fix the Giant I would have to get:
    New wheels £100 minimum
    Cassette, chain and serivce £150 at least (maybe crank, mech and jockey wheels)
    Tyres £70 - 80

Where should I go to get wheels built?

Afterthough.... I could keep the Giant going and eventually put Tiagra on it...

be lucky to find handbuilts at £100 mark,

you can get a set of training tires for £20 the 4 seasons are still on the lighter end, 200isg grams and cost 70 or so.

still not really getting the non bling are you ;-)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    There are a lot of cut price groupsets (athena) in the sales at the minute. IIRC £300 would buy you a new 105 set. Check out the bargain thread

There you go

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... -GROUP.htm

Also why do you need Fulcrum 1's

You'd be better off with 30 sportive entry fees on the bike you have
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    RJSTerry,

My Giant SCR 3 has 8 speed Sora shitfters, Ultegra triple chainset, sora front mech, tiagra 8speed rear mech. I have one front fulcrum 7 and the range equivilent Shimano rear wheel - needs a hub. It also has a Bontrager xxx lite carbon fibre seatpost.

i was thinking of giving it to my Dad.

LiT,

A pair of Continental 4 seasons cost about £35each add tubes and you're looking at £80.

I'd have to get the Giant serviced it's been more than a year. May as well get them to put the chain and cassette on.

Brun,

You make a good point.

Also,

I've just asked for the price of a pair of hand built wheels tiagra hubs, open pro rims, 36 spokes at a pound each. Plus labour = £280 for a pair.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited August 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    RJSTerry,

My Giant SCR 3 has 8 speed Sora shitfters, Ultegra triple chainset, sora front mech, tiagra 8speed reach mech. I have one front fulcrum 7 and the range equivilent Shimano rear wheel - needs a hub. It also has a Bontrager xxx lite carbon fibre seatpost.

LiT,

A pair of Continental 4 seasons cost about £35each add tubes and you're looking at £80.

I'd have to get the Giant serviced it's been more than a year. May as well get them to put the chain and cassette on.

Well then... cassette = £30, chain = £13.99.

Halo Aerorage (nice) rear road bike wheel = £104

£150 so far, and all of it you can fit yourself. Heck, you don't even need to take the old cassette off!

EDIT: Ah yes, but my Kenda Kontender tyres cost £30 the pair. And they're v fairy-resistant.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited August 2010
    That 105 group set is a darn good deal...

OK so I'll fix the Giant myself. Replace the chain and cassette, rear or both wheels. (May put the Fulcrum 5's on temporarily).

Then

Buy either a Tiagra or 105 groupset (the month after either end of Sept or Oct) to add on at a later date.

Thanks.

Oh and thanks to that guy who gave me a route from Liverpool street to Goodmayes.

I'd prefer not to get a train from Liverpool street... unless I'm running late.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    rjsterry wrote:
    Now I had toyed with the idea of Phil Woods hubs for the new wheels I will need for ITB's Mercian frame. They look a bit pricey, but rather delectable in a minimalist polished alloy way. I take it from your post GT, that they are worth the extra expenditure over more run of the mill stuff.

No idea.....

Have nothing to compare them to other than the Phil Woods Hubs I put on the Cannondale.... they are both great....

They (Phil Woods) are shiny and run very smooth and have given me no trouble at all in a year and a half...

Zarbi at Bicycle in Richmond builds good wheels - Bicycle itself is a great shop so if you are still in Wimbledon DX3 I'd have a trip through the park and talk wheels.....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    edited August 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I've just asked for the price of a pair of hand built wheels tiagra hubs, open pro rims, 36 spokes at a pound each. Plus labour = £280 for a pair.

A quick look at Parker International and they will build 36 hole OpenPro on Tiagra for:
    £70.20 front, £74.95 rear. I have no idea about Shimano stuff (only ever use Campy!) so have no idea if that's a good price, sure I'm looking at the right thing though.

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/c ... heels.html

...select your weapon, I mean rim...then use the drop down box to select your hole count / hub option.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    RJSTerry,

My Giant SCR 3 has 8 speed Sora shitfters, Ultegra triple chainset, sora front mech, tiagra 8speed reach mech. I have one front fulcrum 7 and the range equivilent Shimano rear wheel - needs a hub. It also has a Bontrager xxx lite carbon fibre seatpost.

LiT,

Well then... cassette = £30, chain = £13.99.

Halo Aerorage (nice) rear road bike wheel = £104

£150 so far, and all of it you can fit yourself. Heck, you don't even need to take the old cassette off!

Quite, and he could fit Lugano tires £20 tough tires yes a touch heavier but your really not going to be sprinting 20 miles there and back though stop start traffic.
  • Greg T
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK so I'll buy wheels and tyres and tubes for the Giant. (May put the Fulcrum 5's on temporarily).

Good wheels will last for ages - you can upgrade the frame later.....

Oh Just buy a full new bike and wheels and everything!

Don't waste your time.

CAAD 9 - 105, trick wheels! I say yes!

• tailwindhome
    edited August 2010
    Planet X have Fulcrum 3s for £275

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPF ... her-wheels

That upgrades the Kharma without being stupid and frees up the 5's for the giant

New wheels £275
    Shimano 105 £300

The Giant is now significantly upgraded and good to go for the winter (with the shabby wheels you have as backups when the winter really kicks in). Also Karen's got a bit of love too

Shall I wrap them up for you?

(What about putting a ring on that Irish girl's finger instead?)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    That 105 group set is a darn good deal...

OK so I'll buy wheels and tyres and tubes for the Giant. (May put the Fulcrum 5's on temporarily).

Buy either a Tiagra or 105 groupset (the month after either end of Sept or Oct) to add on at a later date.

Spend some time searching for deals rather than getting everyone on here to do it :wink: . There are bargains to be had.

Look on YouTube for some tutorials and do the servicing yourself.

Save £££s and learn lots.

BTW, you can find Open Pros on Tiagra hubs for way less than £280.
  • Greg T

MODS!

If that's not a reason to ban a man i don't know what is......

So here we are seriously plotting how D cubed is going to get a new bike and you have to bring up spending his bike money on a wedding ring....

I'm a broad minded guy but kids can read this forum!

• DonDaddyD
    Planet X have Fulcrum 3s for £275

That upgrades the Kharma without being stupid and frees up the 5's for the giant

New wheels £275
    Shimano 105 £300

The Giant is now significantly upgraded and good to go for the winter (with the shabby wheels you have as backups when the winter really kicks in). Also Karen's got a bit of love too

Shall I wrap them up for you?

Kharma purchases are desire driven I want racing 1's (unless they'll buckle under my thighs). Also, racing 3's I fear won't offer enough improvement to Racing 5's to justify the upgrade (as with moving from 7s to 5s).

Ms DDD is likely to get both a holiday in Tibet (her Birthday) and a holiday to Thailand (because we couldn't decide so I'll pay for Thailand. In other words I lost that argument).

I'm gonna live large until her bio-clock kicks in and she starts boiling bunnys, demands control of my salary and I'm only allowed out with her say so. She's (being) well looked after. Need to get her a bike...

OK so new wheel/s, tyre/s, tubes, cassette and chain. Already have coolstop pads at home so end of the month I'll do some bike-DIY.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

I hate you

Here's a question.. What hubs to these use, currently I'm running chorus hubs. Would these make for good bling/race wheels?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    bracketed wrote:
    Oh, and the Giant SCR frame is a nice one - not like your Kharma

*Zing!

@DDD - buy Campag next time, it'll last longer...
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I need a solution...

Salt in water?
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Plus one on cheap tyres - I think my Schwalbes were about £20 the pair and are pretty puncture resistant. Why new inner tubes as well? I have 20 year old inner tubes that are fine. As has already been said, need to be clear about what you need to purchase (a small part of your list) and what you want to because you want to buy stuff (most of your list).
    bracketed wrote:
    Oh, and the Giant SCR frame is a nice one - not like your Kharma

*Zing!

@DDD - buy Campag next time, it'll last longer...

He's obviously half convinced or he wouldn't be running Campag wheels!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Kharma purchases are desire driven I want racing 1's (unless they'll buckle under my thighs). Also, racing 3's I fear won't offer enough improvement to Racing 5's to justify the upgrade (as with moving from 7s to 5s).

Ms DDD is likely to get both a holiday in Tibet (her Birthday) and a holiday to Thailand (because we couldn't decide so I'll pay for Thailand. In other words I lost that argument).

I'm gonna live large until her bio-clock kicks in and she starts boiling bunnys, demands control of my salary and I'm only allowed out with her say so. She's (being) well looked after. Need to get her a bike...

OK so new wheel/s, tyre/s, tubes, cassette and chain. Already have coolstop pads at home so end of the month I'll do some bike-DIY.

Are Racing 1s really worth £400 more than 3s? You save a whole 95g of weight for that, wow....F5s come it at 1760g, F3 2-way fits 1580, F1s 1495. My F5 Evos are excellent, but the Zondas are definitely better.
    You could just go for the Zeros ;)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Are Racing 1s really worth £400 more than 3s? You save a whole 95g of weight for that, wow....F5s come it at 1760g, F3 2-way fits 1580, F1s 1495. My F5 Evos are excellent, but the Zondas are definitely better.

There are other differences - hubs being one I believe.
  • stuaff
    There are other differences - hubs being one I believe.

No doubt, I'm sure there's all sorts of other marginal improvements. I'm just a bit dubious as to whether they're worth all the extra over an already excellent product.
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • DonDaddyD
    StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You missed my point. If you have 5s then there is no point getting 3s you should get 1s as there is a noticable difference in weight between 5s and 1s but not 5s and 3s.

If you have 3s you should get 0s.

5s and 7s share the same hub.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

I hate you

Here's a question.. What hubs to these use, currently I'm running chorus hubs. Would these make for good bling/race wheels?

Ahem.. don't make me start bitching about a clique now
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

I hate you

I don't know!

But hey, at least I'm responding...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

I hate you

They're fulcrum hubs :D

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/jspfulcrum ... duro=false

They're decent wheels akin to my ksyrium elites. They can be fitted with campy, shimano or sram freehub bodies.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

I hate you

Sorry i wasn't here to answer your question, thankfully JonGinge, whose knowledge greatly exceeds mine stepped in.

To be fair I was distracted by having to go to my daughters birthday party.

You have my full attention for the next 364 days
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm confused.

I'll have about £300 - 500 to spend.

Try this. Strip the Giant down to frame and forks. Go to Ribble, and pick up a Veloce gruppo (£340) plus a pair of Scirocco wheels (£144). Buy some new bar tape, a chain checker and some chain lube and you're good to go.

Sell the R5s on eBay down the line to finance the R1s for the Kharma.

Something seems a bit different about the forum. Have I missed anything?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

I hate you

Sorry i wasn't here to answer your question, thankfully JonGinge, who used google to find information stepped in.

To be fair I was distracted by having to go to my daughters birthday party.

You have my full attention for the next 364 days
    FTFY. All hail t'interweb :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • stuaff
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You missed my point. If you have 5s then there is no point getting 3s you should get 1s as there is a noticable difference in weight between 5s and 1s but not 5s and 3s.

If you have 3s you should get 0s.

5s and 7s share the same hub.

Ahem.....something wrong with your maths there. You save more weight going from Fulcrum 5 to 3 than from 3 to 1 .
    3 2 Way Fits= 165g lighter than F5 (2010 specs, from fulcrumwheels.com). Zondas another 15g lighter, btw.
    1 2 Way Fits= 90g lighter than 3s. And 255g lighter than 5s. A whole half-a-pound lighter for £450 extra....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Greg66 wrote:
    Something seems a bit different about the forum. Have I missed anything?

Long story, but Commuting General has split into General and Chat, with the OT and social stuff in Chat and the more serious stuff in General. Some got a bit upset about this, but it seems to have settled down now.:wink:

This going to have to be explained again and again with everything happening while people are on holiday.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition