I need a solution...

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
OK I can't do this anymore, getting the train. I feel like I've all but lost my fitness. I can't leave things any longer. I'm also losing my ability to channel 'The Power Awesome' and that worries me. It's like Goku not being able to turn Super Sayin...

So! I need:

A safe route from South Wimbledon to Goodmayes trainstation, Barley Lane, Ilford? (with map)

A solution for my bikes:

Do I buy a pair of cheap wheels for the Giant?

Or do I give it the Fulcrum 5's from my Kharma and get Fulcrum racing 1's* for the Kharma. Will Racing 1's withstand a 15.5 - 16stone man?

What is bothering me is that the bike needs (or after a 1000miles or so will need) a new crank and jockey wheels/rear mech, chain, cassette, cables, brake pads and possibly a new front mech. I've long since wondered whether its worth repairing the Giant (which cost £350 2-3 years ago) or use the oppurtunity to spend £300 - £400 getting a single speed or cheap road bike?

In addition to repairing the Giant I'll likely have to buy:

A pair of 4 seasons tyres
Cycle computer
Garmin
Lighter wheels for the Kharma

To conclude
Put Fulcrum 5's on the Giant (this may work out more costly by replacing wheels for Kharma).
Fix the Giant properly, cheap wheels, crank etc.
Replace Giant with a single speed or simarly cheap road bike (but I'll want Tiagra).

*I'll be buying better wheels for the Kharma anyway so will have the Racing 5's going spare.

I'm confused.

I'll have about £300 - 500 to spend.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Well I pass Goodmayes Station most days so I can help with a route this end if someone can come up with something for the beginning.

If you need (although it's more likely a 'want') a Garmin you will not need a cycle computer.
  • DonDaddyD
    Thanks, I'm good as far as the following tubes

Chancery Lane:
    Moorgate
    Liverpool Street

After that the World goes hazy as I haven't been further North into London by bike. Is it safe up there?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I haven't been further North into London by bike.

That doesn't matter as Goodmayes is East!

Is it safe? Well if I lived there I wouldn't leave my door unlocked, but probably couldn't do that anywhere within the M25 these days. Are you talking about locking a bike there? As safe as anywhere else in outer London I would say, it's certainly not a 'no go' area. If you are talking about locking a bike there I can do a recce (spelling?) and report back.
  • So, in summary, you want a new bike and a garmin, and an excuse for the aforementioned?

:P
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I haven't been further North into London by bike.

That doesn't matter as Goodmayes is East!

Is it safe? Well if I lived there I wouldn't leave my door unlocked, but probably couldn't do that anywhere within the M25 these days. Are you talking about locking a bike there? As safe as anywhere else in outer London I would say, it's certainly not a 'no go' area. If you are talking about locking a bike there I can do a recce (spelling?) and report back.

Actually meant drivers. I've noticed, how can I put this, a perchant for very done up hot hatches and the like complete with revving engines at lights. People in the city and wimbledon are more tolerant to cyclists than say people in Streatham or Croydon IMO. Just wanted to get the low down on the area and general attitude of motorists.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    So, in summary, you want a new bike and a garmin, and an excuse for the aforementioned?

:P

The Garmin will likely have to wait, yet again. :x (I will have one and Fulcrum Racing 1's in time for next years Spring Onion).

I'm just after the best cost effective solution that will get me back on a bike.
    Food Chain number = 4

• you've got a few options with routes, I suggest you try them out, all going to be long slogs though!

I'd try A24/A205 over or under the river at woolwich, then run north and crossing the north circular at East Ham.

there are number of massive roads there which are awful.

regarding the bike, if your clocking up 40 miles a day, training rather than bling will last better.

your going to eat race rims 40 miles stop start traffic...... don't planet x do a decent set for £100? like wise for tires you can get training tires for £20 at set.

okay that list the crank is broken how? and the front derailer? really?

I'm not saying you should have a cheap nasty bike for what 3+ hr a day but you don't need to fritter it on race stuff that will get trashed in no time.

I ssume this is not every day but a few days a week taking spare clothes in on friday etc.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Just wanted to get the low down on the area and general attitude of motorists.

To be honest I've NEVER had a problem (and I've been running / riding in this area for 10+ years), it's fine as long as you are a competent cyclist, which I think most of us are. I've ridden in a lot worse areas and places that are a lot busier, the roads are believe it or not fairly quiet considering the location.
  • DonDaddyD
    you've got a few options with routes, I suggest you try them out, all going to be long slogs though!

I'd try A24/A205 over or under the river at woolwich, then run north and crossing the north circular at East Ham.

there are number of massive roads there which are awful.

regarding the bike, if your clocking up 40 miles a day, training rather than bling will last better.

your going to eat race rims 40 miles stop start traffic...... don't planet x do a decent set for £100? like wise for tires you can get training tires for £20 at set.

okay that list the crank is broken how? and the front derailer? really?

I'm not saying you should have a cheap nasty bike for what 3+ hr a day but you don't need to fritter it on race stuff that will get trashed in no time.

I ssume this is not every day but a few days a week taking spare clothes in on friday etc.

Some of the teeth on the crank and the jockey wheels on the rear mech are perfect triangles complete with pointy ends.

The front mech need a temporary solution to the bolt that was holding it and while likely need to be (over the winter) according to the bke shop man.

All happy to get a training bike, I already have bling. What training bike. 4seasons are more than capable of handling the journey. Not sure what frequency I'll ride by bike, the aim is to do a full week.
    Food Chain number = 4

• if your clocking up 40 miles a day, training rather than bling will last better.

With reference to wheels, why not get a set built...much better than boutique stuff.

I've got 2 sets of training wheels, both use Open Pro Mavic rims, one set is laced to Campag Record hubs, the other to Centaur. The record set have currently done 6000 miles and been through 3 winters...not even needed to be trued. And they are not heavy.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Some of the teeth on the crank and the jockey wheels on the rear mech are perfect triangles complete with pointy ends.

Just replace the ring(s) that are worn on the crankSET and renew the jockey wheels.
  • DonDaddyD
    Cool I'll look into it.

Do you know route from Liverpool Street to Goodmayes?
    Food Chain number = 4

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    +1 to both Roger & essex-commuter's suggestions. If you still want factory wheels, great deals around on Fulcrum 3s and Zondas at the mo. Got my Zondas (2010 2-way fit) for £325. A definite step up from the 5s, without too much impact on the wallet. Your budget seems rather low if you're going to buy that lot!!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Cool I'll look into it.

Do you know route from Liverpool Street to Goodmayes?

Yeah no problem. I can send you a gpx file...oops you don't have your Garmin...yet!

Simplest route would be bike lanes along A13 to Barking (not my route, someone else maybe able to advise better), off at Lodge Avenue, left at end onto Longbridge Road, right into Goodmayes Lane just after the college...to the end, a quick right/left dog-leg and you're at the station.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ... the bike needs (or after a 1000miles or so will need) a new crank and jockey wheels/rear mech, chain, cassette, cables, brake pads and possibly a new front mech. I've long since wondered whether its worth repairing the Giant ... or ... spend £300 - £400 getting a single speed or cheap road bike?....

Convert the Giant to SS (or fixed).
      Replace the chainrings with a single (1/8" track?) New chain (again, 1/8"?) New rear wheel- get it built up- 36 spokes, flip-flop hub (White Eno if you want fixed). Sprocket & Freewheel to suit. Replace consumables (tyres, brake-blocks)

Sorted.

Cheers,
    W.
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    This is (part of) the route I use to get from the City to Hog Hill for racing after work. Pretty reasonable cycling route, never had any problems. Allow about 45 mins.

http://tinyurl.com/3589gzv
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    I'd be very surprised if you need a new front mech or crank unless you've bashed them, or have the front mech set up all wrong and the chain's rubbing like a... rubby thing.

Chain and cassette, pads, cables, etc. are all easily replaced yourself. Only worth getting someone else to do it if the bike is in for a service anyway. You'll get through them a lot quicker over that distance as well, so you should learn how to change them yourself. swapping out a rear mech is pretty straightforward as well - a single allen bolt, then a bit of fettling with the cable to get the indexing set up.

I would say the Giant is worth repairing - the SCR/FCR frames are pretty decent, and the cost of new bikes have gone up dramatically since you bought it, so you won't get the same for your money now. As wear on the wheels seems to be a particular issue, how about getting some reasonably priced, but sturdy wheels built up for the Giant? Perhaps something like a light touring wheel, with a higher spoke count and more durable hub. It won't be quite as zippy, but you aren't going to be sprinting all the way to Ilford.

No idea about Fulcrum wheels for the Kharma.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited August 2010
    What on earth do you do to your bikes? I've done about 9000 miles since I started cycling again and, aside from a few chains, used up one pair of (knobbly) tyres, one cassette, one pair jockey wheels, two brake cables and some brake pads.

The only real mechanical irritation is the hub cones going on the Dawes (and maybe the hub bearings themselves) - but those wheels are pretty crap and I'd go with the suggestion of getting some handmade wheels with good quality hubs (like I didn't).

As for single speed - rotten solution. No reason why a geared bike can't be as reliable though a teeny bit of preventative maintenance will always help.

Fulcrums? Thought you didn't like Campagnolo :wink:

PS defo fix the Giant!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So! I need

It's funny how 'want' turns to 'need' when it comes a bike stuff.
    What is bothering me is that the bike needs (or after a 1000miles or so will need) a new crank and jockey wheels/rear mech, chain, cassette, cables, brake pads and possibly a new front mech. I've long since wondered whether its worth repairing the Giant (which cost £350 2-3 years ago) or use the oppurtunity to spend £300 - £400 getting a single speed or cheap road bike?

The price you paid for the Giant is now irrelevant. Service the parts that need serviced on the Giant. You could spend £300 on a new bike but would be buying a bike you'll never love and the Giant will be in the same state.

There are a lot of cut price groupsets (athena) in the sales at the minute. IIRC £300 would buy you a new 105 set. Check out the bargain thread
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    Rolf F wrote:
    What on earth do you do to your bikes? I've done about 9000 miles since I started cycling again and, aside from a few chains, used up one pair of (knobbly) tyres, one cassette, one pair jockey wheels, two brake cables and some brake pads.

The only real mechanical irritation is the hub cones going on the Dawes (and maybe the hub bearings themselves) - but those wheels are pretty crap and I'd go with the suggestion of getting some handmade wheels with good quality hubs (like I didn't).

As for single speed - rotten solution. No reason why a geared bike can't be as reliable though a teeny bit of preventative maintenance will always help.

Fulcrums? Thought you didn't like Campagnolo :wink:

There is the delicate issue of DDD weighing more than half as much again as us whippets (apologies if I've remembered that wrong).
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    A safe route from South Wimbledon to Goodmayes trainstation, Barley Lane, Ilford?

Cycle to Liverpool St and get the train from there (bikes allowed in the opposite direction to the rush hour)? Best of Both worlds.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'll have about £300 - 500 to spend.

Any wonder you're confused

Thats a £3k shopping list
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • +1 to handbuilt wheels with Mavic OpenPro rims. Just about to go and get a front wheel built with one - had a rear for about 2 years (8000 miles) and this has never had to be trued either. Rock solid, not heavy. Only running on a Tiagra hub too, nothing special.

Only problem I had was that it was first built with aluminium spoke nuts. I'm not light (100Kg) and I ride hard, and they kept shearing. Rebuilt with brass nuts (but chromed, natch) and never had a problem since.

As for chainrings and jockey wheels, yep, they wear out - but are easily replaceable.
    White Condor Italia 2011
    FCN 3
  • Oh, and the Giant SCR frame is a nice one - not like your Kharma, but you won't find much better on a new bike for under a grand. I am thinking of upgrading the groupset on mine. Would be upset to think of yours just being tossed aside for the want of components...
    White Condor Italia 2011
    FCN 3
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    bracketed wrote:
    +1 to handbuilt wheels with Mavic OpenPro rims.

I'm in....

I was a bit dubious about having wheels built (Deep section DT Swiss rims laced to phil woods hubs with millions of spokes) but have ridden them for 5 - 7 K miles across central london and they are dead true.

They were built by Zarbi (sp) at Bicycle in Richmond - he's a wizard.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DonDaddyD
    Right so repair the Giant and the parts that need to be repaired or change it into a single speed.

Deal with the Kharma seperately.

What if buying a single speed like a Langster or Fuji Track (in black as it should be) or Capo (canondale) or Felt Dispatch works out cheaper than the cost of repairing the Giant.

To fix the Giant I would have to get:
    New wheels £100 minimum
    Cassette, chain and serivce £150 at least (maybe crank, mech and jockey wheels)
    Tyres £70 - 80

Where should I go to get wheels built?

Afterthough.... I could keep the Giant going and eventually put Tiagra on it...
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    edited August 2010
    Now I had toyed with the idea of Phil Woods hubs for the new wheels I will need for ITB's Mercian frame. They look a bit pricey, but rather delectable in a minimalist polished alloy way. I take it from your post GT, that they are worth the extra expenditure over more run of the mill stuff.

EDIT: DDD, I doubt a SS would be cheaper than sorting the Giant out, or if it was, it wouldn't be a very nice SS. And as Bracketed says, would you just dump the Giant in a corner? Out of interest, what spec is the Giant atm?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited August 2010
    £80 on TYRES?

:shock:

Look, if you just want a new bike, get one.

Failing that, I'd repair the Giant. Would a cassette and chain really cost £150? And do you really need a service to have it fitted? It's not rocket science... heck, I've done it.

EDIT: Cassette £40

Chain £25
  • rjsterry
    Indeed. I have the tools, so as your just up the road DDD, I could lend them to you if need be.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Probably worth bearing in mind that any OTP track bike will be built from the same quality of components that you've worn out on the Giant. In other words you'll spend £500 now, and in 6-12 months time you'll still need to buy new wheels, chainring, etc.