TDF Stage 20 **Spoiler**

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Didn't US Postal wear a special grey ensemble on the Champs Elysee one year? 2004 was it? I
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    so where are all the muppets on here who two weeks ago were claiming Cav was a flash in the pan and had lost it ? Sheer class and speed, no need for a lead out train though his team always ride hard tocontrol breaks and Tony Martin did well for him again but at the end it was him against the rest and he came out way on top. When he is fit no one will touch him. Is that 14 stages in 3 years now?
    Also good to see sky with a good leadout on two stages, that takes some doing, most teams are not strong enough todo that. EBH did quite well as he is not out and out sprinter.
    Thomas had a sound tour also so good for the brits :D MAybe sky were showing Cav they can provide leadout for him :wink:

Well, I would still argue he came into the Tour a week short of preparation.
    Cali, Romandie and Swiss all DNF.
    So the speculation had anecdotal evidence that things might not end up as they did.
    Cav has laid that to rest, especially with his amazing acceleration, this last week.

Nice of you to use your hindsight to bring it back up, though.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Rod Ellingworth said earlier in the season that Cav's season would properly start at the Tour.

Don't be surprised to see him start the Vuelta, he's going for the WC after all isn't he? He won't win it this year but it's all about the experience.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Is that 14 stages in 3 years now?

• carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    so where are all the muppets on here who two weeks ago were claiming Cav was a flash in the pan and had lost it ? Sheer class and speed, no need for a lead out train though his team always ride hard tocontrol breaks and Tony Martin did well for him again but at the end it was him against the rest and he came out way on top. When he is fit no one will touch him. Is that 14 stages in 3 years now?
    Also good to see sky with a good leadout on two stages, that takes some doing, most teams are not strong enough todo that. EBH did quite well as he is not out and out sprinter.
    Thomas had a sound tour also so good for the brits :D MAybe sky were showing Cav they can provide leadout for him :wink:

So the speculation had anecdotal evidence that things might not end up as they did.
    Cav has laid that to rest, especially with his amazing acceleration, this last week.

Agreed, largely through no fault of his own Cavs preparation leading up to the Tour wasn't the best. I thought he would struggle, but all credit to him he's come back better than ever and has made the other sprinters look frankly, ordinary.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Matches Maertens for stage wins

The Top Ten in terms of stages
    1. Eddy Merckx, 34
    2. Bernard Hinault, 28
    =3. Andre Leducq, 25
    =3. Lance Armstrong, 25
    5. André Darrigade, 22
    6. Nicolas Frantz, 20
    7. Francois Faber, 19
    8. Jean Alavoine, 17
    =9. Charles Pelissier, 16
    =9. René Le Greves, 16
    =9. Jacques Anquetil, 16
    =10. Freddy Maertens, 15
    =10. Mark Cavendish, 15
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    Gosh, Armstrong won 25 stages?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    samiam wrote:
    Gosh, Armstrong won 25 stages?

22 really. Three of them are team time trials, so they shouldn't really count.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    I think we are priveleged in witnessing perhaps two legends of this sport we love.
    Cav and Bertie are still young enough to break all records by the time they are finished and as a brit i'm looking forward to Cav kicking ass for the next few years.
    Truly awesome on the champs :lol:
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    One winner in the Tour as far as I'm concerned ...

Mark $%^&ing Cavendish !!
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    shakey88 wrote:
    I think we are priveleged in witnessing perhaps two legends of this sport we love.
    Cav and Bertie are still young enough to break all records by the time they are finished and as a brit i'm looking forward to Cav kicking ass for the next few years.

The problem with Bert is, when he's not in tip top shape, he's not very exciting. He's a clever rider, for sure, but without the accelerations on the climbs. he's just not that interesting to watch.

Cavendish is phenomenal. However, it makes the sprints duller than they already are when one rider is SO dominant.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    iainf72 wrote:
    shakey88 wrote:

The problem with Bert is, when he's not in tip top shape, he's not very exciting. He's a clever rider, for sure, but without the accelerations on the climbs. he's just not that interesting to watch.

Cavendish is phenomenal. However, it makes the sprints duller than they already are when one rider is SO dominant.

With all due respect Mr.Ian,whenever i read your posts i get the 80's song "criticize" by Alexander O'neal going through my head :wink:
    Do you ever have a good word to say about anyone,and do you ever enjoy anything?
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    Only just watched the tdf because I was at the Tramlines festival (hello Sheffield) and all I have to say is....

FU Cav haters; it is time to bow down and acknowledge the greatest sprinter of our generation. Put your petty comments aside and the truth shall set you free!

The day after Alex Higgins died another "personality" has shown his excellence. You only miss these people when they have left the sport. The people who bitch at Cav are the same type of people who whinged about Alex when he was blazing a trail. Sport needs these people... Best Pantani Gazza and others... they're not perfect but we must love them while we have them.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Is the green jersey now awarded to the rider who's had the best view of Cav's rear wheel? :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Matches Maertens for stage wins

The Top Ten in terms of stages
    1. Eddy Merckx, 34
    2. Bernard Hinault, 28
    =3. Andre Leducq, 25
    =3. Lance Armstrong, 25
    5. André Darrigade, 22
    6. Nicolas Frantz, 20
    7. Francois Faber, 19
    8. Jean Alavoine, 17
    =9. Charles Pelissier, 16
    =9. René Le Greves, 16
    =9. Jacques Anquetil, 16
    =10. Freddy Maertens, 15
    =10. Mark Cavendish, 15

Considering the ones ahead of him are either pre-war (when bunch finishes were a rarity) or GC guys, he must now have the record of stage wins for a sprinter (a few of Maertens's were time trials).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    shakey88 wrote:
    Do you ever have a good word to say about anyone,and do you ever enjoy anything?

Yes indeed. Loved the Giro. Aside from the Gavia stage, that was a bit of a let down.

Being a fan means you should be able to be critical, no?

Let me ask you a question : If you know Cavendish will win every sprint he takes part in, doesn't it lessen the value of the sprint? Wouldn't you prefer a proper rivalry? This is the reason I'm becoming a Tony Martin fanboi - He looks like he'll be able to take on Chinny soon and that can only be a good thing.
  • rockmount
    shakey88 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    shakey88 wrote:

With all due respect Mr.Ian,whenever i read your posts i get the 80's song "criticize" by Alexander O'neal going through my head :wink:
    Mr Ian is right ...
    Bertie's win is as dull as ditchwater, didn't even bother his arse winning a single stage. As far as Cav goes, no one is even playin' the same game, so it could be seen as predictable. I still find it exciting tho, there is something about his sprint that makes your spine tingle .... that does it for me ... awesome !
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    just watched the podium...... cant help thinking of 28 days later when i see the black livestrong kit..... oddly sinister....
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Only just watched the tdf because I was at the Tramlines festival (hello Sheffield) and all I have to say is....

FU Cav haters; it is time to bow down and acknowledge the greatest sprinter of our generation. Put your petty comments aside and the truth shall set you free!

The day after Alex Higgins died another "personality" has shown his excellence. You only miss these people when they have left the sport. The people who ***** at Cav are the same type of people who whinged about Alex when he was blazing a trail. Sport needs these people... Best Pantani Gazza and others... they're not perfect but we must love them while we have them.

Considering that three of those are alcoholic wife-beaters, I'm not entirely sure I agree.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Is Theo Boss still road racing at a lower level? - just wondering if/when we'll next see him against Cavendish ?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Cavendish' dominance is amazing, especially considering he's still pretty young. I can remember Van Poppel winning 4 stages in one Tour being incredible, a feat made almost ridiculous by Cav doing that and more for three consequetive years. Still, there is his personality, and it would be nice if he would stop being acting like a dick towards other when he's not doing that well. And, it's easy to see how if his dominance would continue in the same way for the next 10 years or so, things would get a bit boring...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    FJS wrote:
    Cavendish' dominance is amazing, especially considering he's still pretty young. I can remember Van Poppel winning 4 stages in one Tour being incredible, a feat made almost ridiculous by Cav doing that and more for three consequetive years. Still, there is his personality, and it would be nice if he would stop being acting like a dick towards other when he's not doing that well. And, it's easy to see how if his dominance would continue in the same way for the next 10 years or so, things would get a bit boring...

It's a not that uncommon theme of the peleton that as riders get older they lose their sprint, but gain strength.

See Museeuw, Boonen and Hushovd...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Mettan wrote:
    Is Theo Boss still road racing at a lower level? - just wondering if/when we'll next see him against Cavendish ?
    He's riding for Cervelo now - They did two sprints against each other this year. One Bos won with Cav coming 2nd, the other Cav was 3rd, Bos 4th.
    They might well meet in the Vuelta
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    edited July 2010

Actually it is not with hindsight if you wish to trawl through previous posts you will find that after the two problematic stages wehre he fell and cocked up sprint and gave up, you will see that I said that srpinters of that class and speed never loose it and he would bounce back, as he did, so no hindsight there.
    I also do not believe that his form suddenly arrived after the first week, he already had the form as they wpuld have known from test rides, he just lacked confidence after the crash and cocked up sprint, you dont gain that sort of speed in a week for sure.
    He is noqw ruing the fact he crashed and sat up in the other sprint, or he would ne in green, He is such a winner but in hindsight I bet he wished he had not sat up in the sprint that day as he could have rolled in comfortably in third or fourth, thats the difference currently between him and Thor. Thor works his nuts off and goes for breaks and on climbs, Cav currently thinks he can get green just by winning stages, which is possible but risky strategy IMO.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    I was impressed with his comeback...

I thought he would get a stage somewhere but I didn't have him down for 5 stages even after his first
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • iainf72
    The Myth not impressed with Le Tour

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=indepth.view&id=111

Blames heat.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:
    The Myth not impressed with Le Tour

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=indepth.view&id=111

Blames heat.

The race can't have been that hard. 170 finishers. Most ever.
  • rockmount
    afx237vi wrote:

The day after Alex Higgins died another "personality" has shown his excellence. You only miss these people when they have left the sport. The people who ***** at Cav are the same type of people who whinged about Alex when he was blazing a trail. Sport needs these people... Best Pantani Gazza and others... they're not perfect but we must love them while we have them.

Considering that three of those are alcoholic wife-beaters, I'm not entirely sure I agree.
    Agreed.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    shakey88 wrote:

Bet you wouldnt say that if FF was around :wink:
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Regarding Mark Cavendish's personality- I have never met Mark. I am unlikely ever to do so and so I can't judge.

But I'm scunnered with people calling him a prat and worse. He's honest. He's no PR cut-out. He says what he thinks when he's interviewed immediately after a stage win or loss. And that's what's so fab about him- he's genuine.

And everything I have ever read about him (and I must have read most published articles on him by now) say he's a polite, genuine, caring, quiet man away from the bike.

If he was some anonymous, tedious, languorous, insipid, dull, vapid character, folk would be moaning about his lack of character.

He HAS character. Bucket loads of character. 'cos he's a testosterone packed sprinter. and not a golfer.

And I challenge anyone to try and visualise Cav on a golf course.