Things that are just true about urban cycling

Comments

• jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    dondare wrote:
    Any bit of bicycle maintenance turns into a major project.

Unless it's warm outside*, any bike maintenance less urgent than a puncture can wait until summer. She'll be right.

*(laziness + no garage + new kitchen + house-proud girlfriend..)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    You finish a meeting on another site, get changed and wander out of said office in full lycra...... some other colleague stops you for a 20 minute chat about work issues outside the front entrance, at 'checking out time'..... the funny looks you get......argh......

Tis life..............
  • El Gordo wrote:
    There is an urban cyclist somewhere right now sat at their desk going commando having forgotten their pants.

PMSL!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

i don't cycle to work yet but i have a feeling that one day this will be me!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Just because you had a pretty good run into work, and despite the fact that you are a forty-year-old man averaging about 14 mph, you tell yourself that, with a bit of training, you might still have a shot at winning the Tour De France.
  • jonny_trousers
    Within 10 minutes of moving over from flat bars to drops you believe yourself to be a more serious rider than anyone on the road who does not share your choice of bars.
  • jonny_trousers
    Being overtaken by a girl really, really hurts.
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    Zachariah wrote:
    dondare wrote:
    Any bit of bicycle maintenance turns into a major project.
    +1^10

I only wanted to replace worn brake pads, almost ended up with a new set of calipers and cables...

The longer you spend cleaning your bike, the less time it remains clean.

Umm, 1^10 = 1! :wink:

I only wanted to fix a puncture but found that my recently rebuilt rear wheel has (very)loose spokes.
  • cyclopsbiker
    cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
    overtaking is really satisfying

even more so when it's a guy who immediately has to put his foot down to overtake you back, thereby ensuring his pride isn't dinted by being overtaken by a girl, but he's blatently having to try *really* hard and my pass was just soooo effortless :)

makes me smile all day that one. get over it guys, girls can overtake too :lol:
  • When just about to embark on a fast downhill, a modified hatch back will attemp to overtake, only half passing you and end up having to brake heavily to avoid colliding with an on coming car, or pulling in and side swiping you
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    overtaking is really satisfying

even more so when it's a guy who immediately has to put his foot down to overtake you back, thereby ensuring his pride isn't dinted by being overtaken by a girl, but he's blatently having to try *really* hard and my pass was just soooo effortless :)

makes me smile all day that one. get over it guys, girls can overtake too :lol:

Excellent! :lol:
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    The moment you congratulate yourself on your SCR prowess, someone will cruise past and scalp you.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    That's the downside :)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Beware of skinny old men on touring bikes - nails 8)
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    if only I didn't have to stop at that red light/ zebra crossing I'd have caught and passed that cyclist ahead of me

similar:

The cyclist you are sloowly catching will turn off your path just before you're about to pass them. The positive bit is you can now stop killing yourself and recover.

Always lock your bike near to other more expensive bikes.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Cycling in normal clothes is more knackering than cycling in lycra.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    You will be overtaken by a bus shortly before arriving at a great downhill that you've been looking forward to descending all journey. It will then proceed at a snail's pace down the hill before pulling in mere yards from the bottom. Obviously, the whole road is double white-lined and there's no room to pass.
  • noisemonkey
    noisemonkey Posts: 159
    the smaller the car overtaking you, the closer it will be when passing by.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    So true.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015

I dunno, I've found the closest calls to be with taxis, BMWs, and vans - they aren't exactly small cars.
  • langster
    langster Posts: 72
    Just because you had a pretty good run into work, and despite the fact that you are a forty-year-old man averaging about 14 mph, you tell yourself that, with a bit of training, you might still have a shot at winning the Tour De France.

Have you been following me? And it was 14.2 MPH
    Specialized Langster
    Specialized Enduro Expert
    Specialized Rockhopper

This season I will be mainly riding a Specialized
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    No matter how careful you are storing your bike away, you will get oil on you somewhere......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    ...it's just not as relaxing as countryside cycling... 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    El Gordo wrote:
    There is an urban cyclist somewhere right now sat at their desk going commando having forgotten their pants.
    :oops:
    That would be me then.
    Didn't even realise until I went to get them out of my bag.
    I can live with the commando, that's quite liberating and noone can tell.
    It's the white socks I'm left wearing that look the most embarassing :shock:
  • noisemonkey
    noisemonkey Posts: 159
    you will get unidentified scrapes on your shin at least once a week, they don't hurt so it's a mystery where they came from.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    you seem to have missed the article on the news that told everyone else that the dotted white give way line onto a constantly busy road is now the strip that they have to place their steering wheel over rather than sit the whole vehicle behind and there'll always be some lady part sat on your backside who is desperate to let you hear the new horn they got for christmas when they belatedly realise that you don't have the mystic ability to pass through the solid metal engine block sitting in your way and the sticky out arm thing you do isn't just a fashion statement..
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You WILL get your bike nicked :(
  • Aidy
    biondino wrote:

Recent victim?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Aidy wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Recent victim?

Yep. Brand new MTB is now a distant memory - stolen from inside my parents' locked garage where I was storing it while sorting out a house move.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I blame the parents.
  • Aidy
    biondino wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Recent victim?

Yep. Brand new MTB is now a distant memory - stolen from inside my parents' locked garage where I was storing it while sorting out a house move.

Rubbish :(

Insurance? Or not worth it?