Things that are just true about urban cycling

Comments

• chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    As soon as you decide to filter into the ASL, the lights will change and you'll lose your spot and risk getting lefthooked :evil:

Also, there will always be at least one thing that makes you leave the cycle lane, such as plonkers sticking the nose of their car out, or the parking bays not being wide enough to fit the whole car in :evil:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    ndru wrote:
    Broken glass will also be randomly placed along all cycle lanes by skilled volunteers to check your reflexes, maneuvering skills and (if previous two fail) your tube changing skills.

Oh yeah! (to the last point) :cry:
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    If the bus is stationary someone is about to step off irrespective of where the stop actually is.

The one that you slow down for is always the one that was letting you past.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    People wearing skinny jeans and super tiny handlebars WILL RLJ.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • further
    further Posts: 52
    Over time you will build a detailed mental map of usable railings, bike stands and lamposts but still none of them within 200 metres of Abra-Kebab-ra or the newsagents.
  • if a pedestrian controlled crossing has a red light - there will be no pedestrian on the crossing or within 50 yards of said crossing
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Despite the fact that the girl in front is super hot and has a complete and utter peach of a bum you will sail on past just because you cannot bring yourself to slow your pace.
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Aidy wrote:
    It will end up costing you more in shiny bike parts than it would by virtually any other method of getting to and from work.

Off topic but I worked with a guy who had a Ducati motorbike. I think his average service cost was about £900 - and he had to have 2 a year due to his 6000 miles a year covered. Nice bike though.

The one time you decide not to wear gloves is the one time you really wish you had (tarmac to hand pain - ouch)

You ride to work for a bit of exercise but somehow also seem to partake in a lot more visits to the pub as you no longer have to drive home.
  • psiturbo
    psiturbo Posts: 64
    The bum at the light laughs when he sees it is a man on "spandex".

Note: It did happen to me and we were stupidly laughing at each other...
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    if you clean your bike, it will rain the next time you ride it.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    No matter which way you are going the wind will always be against you

You will arrive at work bright cheerful and pumping adrenaline and p*ss off all your colleagues who have been stuck in traffic for hours
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Aidy wrote:
    It will end up costing you more in shiny bike parts than it would by virtually any other method of getting to and from work.

+1,000,000.
  • noisemonkey
    noisemonkey Posts: 159
    When trying to take a different route to work and nearly get lost you will encounter a cyclist coming the other way in a pitch black country lane who has no lights on?!
  • diplomacy
    diplomacy Posts: 34
    you are way better at it than all these other idiots.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Despite the fact that the girl in front is super hot and has a complete and utter peach of a bum you will sail on past just because you cannot bring yourself to slow your pace.

not always..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU7JXX45pOw :wink:

(from about 3:20 min until.... well.... ages 8) )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • If your bike suffers a catastrophic failure, there will be no credit on your phone.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Average life expectancy for a packet of hobnobs after getting to work; 10 mins
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    The more calories you burn, the more you consume...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If you build it, they will come.

Oh, I think i've got the wrong sport.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

not this (couldn't find a "perv" icon)
  • PBo
    edited July 2010
    double post
  • PBo
    When trying to take a different route to work and nearly get lost you will encounter a cyclist coming the other way in a pitch black country lane who has no lights on?!

BAAAARP! urban cycling? On a a country lane? Sorry, but you bumpkin types need to stay off this metropolitan thread.... :)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    If you choose to ride the Sunday Best bike into work for a change, there will be absolutely no competition to play with.
  • Obie
    Obie Posts: 51
    Without fail someone wearing white headphones and carrying a coffee cup will step out infront of you on Tooley Street!!
    FCN 8.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558

not always..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU7JXX45pOw :wink:

(from about 3:20 min until.... well.... ages 8) )

that commute looks absolutly horrible, give me my coutry lanes any day of the week

when your feeling tired and want an easy ride you will see a person on a bike (i hardly see any on commute) and you just have to chase them down

You get a smile if you pass a cyclist regardless of age, bike or gender :)
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    gbsahne wrote:

if theyre choc ones i give it 2 mins
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    You will always be the only road user travelling on the correct side of the road or path.

Especially if it's a cycle-only path.
    andy83 wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

if theyre choc ones i give it 2 mins

I was including making the cup of coffee to go with them in that time
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Balancing the rear mech on the barrell adjuster to ensure smooth and quiet gear changes requires black magic.

Non Shamans (me) end up with the sound effects from the first ten mins of saving private ryan coupled with the smooth mechanical hum of a three house bricks and bag of nails in a washing machine.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    On the canal towpath at 3am there will always be a large man holding an axe but he hides well and you haven't seen him yet.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter