TdF Stage 17 *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    DaveyL wrote:

Has anyone actually considered that, about 98% of the time, [whisper]bike racing isn't actually that interesting?[/whisper]

which is why they keep trying to engineer the route
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    I thought that was pretty good as far as bike racing goes. I guess that's how 'proper' football fans feel when they watch Spain play, it was the two best climbers in the world slugging it out at the pinnacle of their sport.

]

yeah clearly the case wasn't a bad race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    That was a close finish, but with Poulidor and Anquetil one eventually cracked.

I suppose some fans wanted a rider to crack but that's the point - both riders are at a very similar level when going uphill. It's not a Hollywood script, it is possible for two riders to arrive shattered. A shame Schleck will get done over in the TT, some suspense until the end would be good.
  • mididoctors
    Kléber wrote:
    That was a close finish, but with Poulidor and Anquetil one eventually cracked.

I suppose some fans wanted a rider to crack but that's the point - both riders are at a very similar level when going uphill. It's not a Hollywood script, it is possible for two riders to arrive shattered. A shame Schleck will get done over in the TT, some suspense until the end would be good.

its not bad

andy pushed him closer than I thought...

back in Rotterdam I had Bertie for a crushing uphill stage victory somewhere but Andy being perhaps a tiny weeny bit better in the mountains was a surprise.

PTP should of guess who is going to be 3rd rather than 1st...

big questions remain ... would frank helped or hindered?

I'll laugh if the peloton splits in the crosswinds tomorrow
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    DaveyL wrote:
    Has anyone actually considered that, about 98% of the time, [whisper]bike racing isn't actually that interesting?[/whisper]

Of course, yes. But in my opinion, the Tour is getting duller. The lack of ego or big personalities around Bert and Andy doesn't draw the kind of attention Armstrong did. So you're dependant on the racing for excitement.

The largeness of the Tour is important but I do wonder if it's impacting negatively on the racing.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    iainf72 wrote:
    Next year will be my 25th Tour de France. Here's hoping it's better than the last few.
    I hear Paddy Power are paying out on that not happening already ...
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Ryder was great.

And RadioShack will be basing their 2011 TDF around Chris Horner.

Lance's retirement might turn out to be the making of Radio Shack.
    If the Shack are around next year .... It may be time to bring out the Phinney !
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    iainf72 wrote:
    Of course, yes. But in my opinion, the Tour is getting duller. The lack of EPO or big personalities around Bert and Andy doesn't draw the kind of attention Armstrong did. So you're dependant on the racing for excitement.

The largeness of the Tour is important but I do wonder if it's impacting negatively on the racing.

There, corrected that for you :wink:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Folks have got too used to the warped perspective that pharmacological assistance has given to riders in the last 20 years - whole teams with 49.9% HCT pulling at the bottom of climbs and 80kg+ riders winning mountain stages will hopefully be a thing of the past. It's an indication of more 'honest' racing as it's no longer possible to boost performance by 10% for key stages.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    rockmount wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Ryder was great.

And RadioShack will be basing their 2011 TDF around Chris Horner.

Lance's retirement might turn out to be the making of Radio Shack.
    If the Shack are around next year .... It may be time to bring out the Phinney !

Phinney the elder? :lol:
  • Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    BenBlyth wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Wow. There's just no pleasing some people. And you can tell who on the forum has probably never ridden or raced a bike.

Some of the best racing I've seen for a while there. But the effort that takes is immense. Some people seem to think they can race at that pace for the entire Tour.

+1,000,000

This has been an excellent Tour and I can never see how people seem to think riders can just attack as if they are lazy for not doing so!

It's not that people don't appreciate or understand the effort, it is just a bit disappointing when a huge group, including plenty of non-climbers, hits the bottom of the final climb on the most decisive stage - the tactics used to be more swashbuckling.

Schleck's Ardennes performances suggest he's good over the longer distances - maybe it would suit him better if the race was strung out from the start, rather than coming down to a 40-50 minute burn up, which seems to be Contador's particular strength.

It might not make any difference, but Contador looked weakest on the long Alpine stage last year.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    iainf72 wrote:
    Of course, yes. But in my opinion, the Tour is getting duller.

Sounds to me like your getting older...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    iainf72 wrote:

I am. But then, I did find the Giro was fantastic racing

Never been a big fan, but YAY CARLOS!

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/tou ... brats.html
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    iainf72 wrote:

But then I seem to remember alot of people on this forum complaining that the Giro was dull last year. That's how it pans out sometimes. Don't worry, the Vuelta will be along soon, that's always exciting. And maybe in the meantime you can dig out some of your Tour DVD's from say, 91-95! Now they were exciting races :D
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    DaveyL wrote:

Eh... maybe. But least with cycling, when the racing is a bit dull, there's always nice scenery to look at. Well, unless you're watching the Vuelta.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    iainf72 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

Of course, yes. But in my opinion, the Tour is getting duller. The lack of ego or big personalities around Bert and Andy doesn't draw the kind of attention Armstrong did. So you're dependant on the racing for excitement.

It seems to me too many teams and riders are happy to turn up and just be seen to please their sponsors. I was really looking forward to a competitive tour with 4 or 5 riders in contention. Evans, Wiggins and Armstrong failed to deliver big time and it became evident very very quickly that this as going to be a two horse race and not long after that AC would win comfortably.
    I'm not a racer, but I am a keen viewer. For me the Tour is too long, too many stages which encourages riders to concentrate their efforts on one or two stages. Doesn't make for great viewing.
    Pleased to see British National Circuit racing on tonight.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    What the Tour needs is 2 long time trials, a team time trial, 6 days in the mountains, 7 days across cobbles, 3 days in rolling Ardennes-style hills, and a sprint finish through the Arc de Triomphe. Then it would be interesting...

That said, I've really enjoyed this Tour. :D
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think Lemond said that some years ago that the Tour did an annual visit to the cobbles. A good Ardenne stage and cobbles could be a lot better than the usual trip through mindless french arable countryside.
    I drove one year from the Paris Champs Elysees finish to Chamonix, in the Alps, and it was one hell of a dull drive. Those poor bike riders.
    The scenery at the end was bonkers!
    -Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • mididoctors
    iainf72 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

why is it duller?

is it because people watch a lot of cycling and the freshness has faded from the viewing experience?

or is the tour genuinely dull?

I thought this years race was good...not great or even unpredictable.. bertie is going to win bar something monumentally odd happening

plenty of incident..

the cobbles were great... lance taking a packet drifting out the back ... cavs struggles with his own mindset and form..chaingate

plenty to remember

usual surprises from the lower ranks

fedrigo is class IMO... repeated ability to pull off stage wins like that

ryder

few others

ok overshadowed by a great Giro

explain why its impact is negative?
  • mididoctors
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Never been a big fan, but YAY CARLOS!

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/tou ... brats.html

with the abilities so close between the front and back of the Peloton, politics with in the bunch for on the road deals will perhaps increase in importance (already has?)
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    At least at the Vuelta there will be some good racing from Ezequiel Mosquera and other guys.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Good to hear Menchov saying he'll overhaul andy in the TT - good lad, fighting talk!
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    big questions remain ... would frank helped or hindered?

I've been wondering the same. On the basis of Mont Ventoux last year, hindered definitely. Andy looked a lot more free without having to search for Frank to help him.

Saxo Bank, particularly today for the first 8-10km of the Tourmalet, looked really strong - and looked like they didn't miss Frank. And like I've said, Andy seemed to perform better than last year without having to look out for Frank. 8 second gap compared to a couple of minutes behind Contador says a lot, probably
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Philip S wrote:
    What the Tour needs is 2 long time trials, a team time trial, 6 days in the mountains, 7 days across cobbles, 3 days in rolling Ardennes-style hills, and a sprint finish through the Arc de Triomphe. Then it would be interesting...

That said, I've really enjoyed this Tour. :D

Week 1: Each day a different north Europe one dayer.
    Day1: Amstel Gold route
    Day 2: Ghent Wevelgem route
    Day 3: Scheldeprijs route
    Day4: De Ronde Route
    Day 5: Paris-Roubax Route
    Day 6: Paris-Tour
    Day 7: "sprinter day"

Day8: rest

Week 2: 4 proper Pyrenean mountain stages, with at least 3 over the 230km mark, one of which over the 250km mark.

Few days trekking through the central massif. (again, all at least over 200km)

Week 3: Then the rest just Mega days in the Alpes, all over 200km, apart from a time trial up the Galibier and down the other side.

Then a 50km TT into Paris.

Job done.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Personally I lost a bit of interest when it became obvious that Contador was in no danger of getting in trouble. And it became obvious fairly quickly.

Ditto. From about a minute after Schleck attacked you could see he was on the rivet and had nothing else. Contador was also on the rivet but he didn't really need to do anything else.

Dan Friebe was saying on the CN podcast that the Tour really needs to bring back time bonuses for winning a stage. Today may have played out slightly differently if there were some seconds to be had.

I think in this Tour there have been 3 or 4 interesting stages, but overall the racing ain't been great. The Tour is so big now and things like top 10 are important which seems to stop people taking risks. Aside from Sastre, I guess. But imagine is 1 in 20 of those kind of moves stuck, it would be pretty good.

Next year will be my 25th Tour de France. Here's hoping it's better than the last few.

Umm, how would time bonuses solve anything?

AC and AS have proven to be the two strongest riders in the hills when it's matter so the thought of bonuses wouldn't helps Menchov, Sanchez et al.

So far this Tour, AS has won 2 stages, AC has finished runner up twice.

Using the old bonus system, that would give Andy 20 secs, and Alberto 12.

Wow! That really shakes things up, Andy would be in the lead by 8 secs heading into final time trial, not be 8 secs behind.

An insurmountable lead for such a strong TT'er.

Time Bonuses wouldn't have made a lick of difference.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Week 1: Each day a different north Europe one dayer.
    Day1: Amstel Gold route
    Day 2: Ghent Wevelgem route
    Day 3: Scheldeprijs route
    Day4: De Ronde Route
    Day 5: Paris-Roubax Route
    Day 6: Paris-Tour
    Day 7: "sprinter day"

Day8: rest

Week 2: 4 proper Pyrenean mountain stages, with at least 3 over the 230km mark, one of which over the 250km mark.

Few days trekking through the central massif. (again, all at least over 200km)

Week 3: Then the rest just Mega days in the Alpes, all over 200km, apart from a time trial up the Galibier and down the other side.

Then a 50km TT into Paris.

Job done.

That would be good apart from the bit where all the teams boycott it and do the Giro/Vuelta instead.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Meh, I think the course is fine. This year's Tour has been fairly decent. We seem to forget that most sporting contests are a bit dull, but we keep watching for the exceptional ones. I mean, how many drab 0-0, 1-0, 1-1 matches are there in the Premiership every season?
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I think it was fine, plenty of worse Tours during the Indurain and Armstrong eras.

Still all modern sport seems to be going down the risk adverse route. After all why risk losing everything when you get to stand on the podium at 3rd. Maybe thats how they could overcome it, only publish photos of the winner, then everyone would have to try win for their sponsers :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Mettan wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Yes, great stuff. 2 riders side by side for so long up the climb. Images of the two slugging it out were fantastic.

Here's for a great rivalry to continue over the next few years.

Fully agree.

yeah some people said this was a dull stage too!!! -
    climb.jpg

I'd have enjoyed it even more if someone had nt runined it for me! (always happens for the good ones does nt it!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

In that 25 there have been a few stinkers not just the last two, i reckon this years has been a huge dissapointment given the so called exciting parcours.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !