TdF Stage 17 *Spoilers*

Comments

• paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Mettan wrote:
    Contador had nothing left in the final hairpins - seemed like an even race to me - no gifts. There are 2 riders at the top of the sport now.

I know, it was great.

Did you see how steep the final hairpin was? I'd have trouble going up that at any sorta speed at the start of the climb, let alone after 18km at 8%!!
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    It was epic, so long as you have some understanding of cycling. If not, it just looked like 2 blokes riding next to each other in fog.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Pokerface wrote:
    Wow. There's just no pleasing some people. And you can tell who on the forum has probably never ridden or raced a bike.

Some of the best racing I've seen for a while there. But the effort that takes is immense. Some people seem to think they can race at that pace for the entire Tour.

+1

I can't believe someone just called it "Dull, Dull, Dull". My sister's fiance came in as it was finishing and asked me for a less than 10 word update, and my response was "One-of-the-best-stage-i-have-ever-seen"

I seem to recall you saying you didn't see any of the Giro?
    Understandable sentiment, in that case.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Mettan wrote:
    Contador had nothing left in the final hairpins - seemed like an even race to me - no gifts. There are 2 riders at the top of the sport now.

I know, it was great.

Did you see how steep the final hairpin was? I'd have trouble going up that at any sorta speed at the start of the climb, let alone after 18km at 8%!!

Agreed - awesome by both men - a great battle.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Wow. There's just no pleasing some people. And you can tell who on the forum has probably never ridden or raced a bike.

Some of the best racing I've seen for a while there. But the effort that takes is immense. Some people seem to think they can race at that pace for the entire Tour.

You're right - never have raced.

But AS & AC are way too chummy for me - they need to contest the race not give each other too much respect and stage victories. Not enough ruthlessness for me, in this stage by AC and earlier on in the Alps by AS.

Don't expect them to race at that pace for whole Tour, fully appreciate that this is not possible, but I feel that chances to win have been missed and that others in the past would have taken them.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    That was the most boring stage in the history of cycling ever.

I feel sorry for the fans who camped out for 3 days to watch a cycling parade cruise by.

Why don't these riders try?

They're weak. The sport is stuffed. If they are going to be so lame, juice them up to at least make it interesting.

FFS - people.

Where are those quotes from?

Personally I lost a bit of interest when it became obvious that Contador was in no danger of getting in trouble. And it became obvious fairly quickly.
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    Fangs for the memories Andy......

We all know who the moral victor is

31jpo79yqRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I preferred the Giro too, this is dull.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    It's weird but EVERY grand tour, there's a ton of people who say, "That was so boring." Seriously, why are you on a cycling forum if you're not really a fan of watching cycling? And why are you continuing to watch, only to tell everyone how boring it was?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Horner into top 10 and top Shacker.
    So, we basically have a "battle" for 3rd in the ITT?
    Possibly, although both are good TT-ers, and it was a bit closer before today.
    The rest of the top 10 seems pretty settled. Gesink is a better TTist than Van den Broeck, but 1'14" is maybe a bit too much.
    Hesjedal getting 2 minutes on J-Rod? Perhaps
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    The people who called it dull are saying it was dull because they were disappointed. Of all the results, Schleck and Contador cancelling each other out was the least desirable.

Stop being so dramatic. Particularly the guy saying 'You've obviously never ridden a bike before!'. Get a grip.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    BTW, anyone know what Andy said to Contador after answering his attack and coming up alongside him?
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Yes, great stuff. 2 riders side by side for so long up the climb. Images of the two slugging it out were fantastic.

Here's for a great rivalry to continue over the next few years.

Ryder was great.

And RadioShack will be basing their 2011 TDF around Chris Horner.
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    AidanR wrote:
    It was epic, so long as you have some understanding of cycling. If not, it just looked like 2 blokes riding next to each other in fog.

We had a foggy Tourmalet in the 2008 Etape and it made for a dull slog.
  • paulcuthbert
    Pokerface wrote:

But AS & AC are way too chummy for me - they need to contest the race not give each other too much respect and stage victories. Not enough ruthlessness for me, in this stage by AC and earlier on in the Alps by AS

I'd say attacking when someone has stopped in the road with a mechanical is pretty ruthless...

Disagree about having too much respect. It's important in sport. Respecting of great competitors is essential for sport. It keeps people grounded and keeps it interesting.

The gestures at the end made the stage even better. You could see they'd matched each other and they both knew it. It was great to see!
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Ryder was great.

Lance's retirement might turn out to be the making of Radio Shack.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Yes, great stuff. 2 riders side by side for so long up the climb. Images of the two slugging it out were fantastic.

Here's for a great rivalry to continue over the next few years.

Fully agree.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Ryder was great.

Yea they should now be able to concentrate on young uns like Chris Horner
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    EBH beats Wiggins up the Tourmalet :roll:
  • paulcuthbert
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Doubt it. Horner is the same age as Lance. Doubt they'll make the same mistake again next year
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk wrote:

Ryder was great.

Klöden, Levi, Popo et al will be super domestiques for Horner in 2011. Andy and Alberto will be having some some sleepiness nights in July next year.
  • SpaceJunk
    Those chicks could've got out of their pyjamas to present the KOM award.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Wiggins coming in at 23 minutes
  • paulcuthbert
    FJS wrote:

4th place definitely was a fluke :wink:
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    FJS wrote:

4th place definitely was a fluke :wink:

It'll be interesting to see what he can manage in the TT.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    FJS wrote:

Lets hope he's saving himself for the time trial. Cancellara had to work pretty hard today.
  • SpaceJunk
    I heard that Julien Deann didn't finish the stage today. He got distracted when those sheep tried to infiltrate the peloton.
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    I heard that Julien Deann didn't finish the stage today. He got distracted when those sheep tried to infiltrate the peloton.

Probably felt as though he was back home :)
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    edited July 2010
    MatHammond wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Lets hope he's saving himself for the time trial. Cancellara had to work pretty hard today.

He made it pretty clear that was his plan in an interview on Eurosport. He said the TT suited him, he knew a lot of the GC riders were tired and Cancellara would have to do a lot of work again today. So if he has the legs he'll go for it.
  • On the bike radar front page Schlecklet and Accountant are both wearing yellow straps around their wrist as they cross the line - what is it? Doesn't look like a livestrong bracelet.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome