TdF Stage 17 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Was there a gap between Sanchez and Menchov?
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    Sanchez got a few seconds on him.. 6?
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    AidanR wrote:
    pbt150 wrote:
    Contador: You stop attaching and you'll get the stage.
    Schleck: Alright then. I'll settle for white (again) and come back next year.

Sound plausible?

Nope. I agree with donrhummy - mechanical guilt I reckon.

Well it was both wasn't it. Everyone's a winner.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Pokerface wrote:
    Was there a gap between Sanchez and Menchov?

Just a few seconds.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Yeah, Sanchez took him by about 10 secs.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Really disappointing finish, at least make it look like you're going for it. So unless Bertie wins the TT (can't see it when the likes of Martin and Wiggins have been taking it relatively easily) he won't have a stage win to his name. At least I get full PTP points.
  • devonhills
    devonhills Posts: 11
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    BTW - I thought the finish line was basked in sunshine.

What drugs are Paul and Phil on??

I think they're commentating from a beach in the Bahamas
  • Dull. Dull. Dull. How frustrating - if these guys actually tried to race for more than 25% of 2 mountains we might have seen something interesting.
  • donrhummy
    BTW, watching in HD is a HUGE improvement. It really makes you feel like you're right there and you can actually recognize everyone that Liggett thinks is someone else.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Leipheimer not in yet?
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Good ride be Horner, but he's had some easy mtn stages riding with Lance ;-)

Great gutsy ride by Hesjedal. He did this year what Wiggo and many others couldn't do - hold his own when the stage splintered. Wiggo and VDV before him and so many others just rode in the wheels. Good on 'em.

Lance did a top 15 so good for him. But the coolness probably helps a lot.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    That's both Schleck brothers that Bert has given a stage to. I hope Johnny Schleck comes out of retirement next year so we can continue this tradition.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Feel sorry for Lance. Barring accidents he would've finished on podium.
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    Feel sorry for Lance. Barring accidents he would've finished on podium.

hehe
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    donrhummy wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    Wow, I didn't expect Contador not to contest that.

I could be wrong but I think the controversy from the mechanical is what stopped him.

Yep, you're wrong.
  • donrhummy
    edited July 2010
    Good ride be Horner, but he's had some easy mtn stages riding with Lance ;-)

Great gutsy ride by Hesjedal. He did this year what Wiggo and many others couldn't do - hold his own when the stage splintered. Wiggo and VDV before him and so many others just rode in the wheels. Good on 'em.

Lance did a top 15 so good for him. But the coolness probably helps a lot.

Before this stage, horner was 14th. He's likely 12th or so now. You don't place that well after the mountains by taking it easy.

UPDATE: horner's 10th!! HE'S TOP 10!
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Bloody hell, France 2 already have Armstrong on screen for their almost nightly love-in with him. This time he is with his old mate Sarko. :roll:
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited July 2010
    But for chain-gate Andy would have a 31 sec lead going into the TT - a confident Andy in Yellow and as the last man, he would have had a very good chance of taking this years tour. I think he could have done it. As it stands now, its over - brilliant riding from both Andy and Bert. A great effort from the others.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Wow. There's just no pleasing some people. And you can tell who on the forum has probably never ridden or raced a bike.

Some of the best racing I've seen for a while there. But the effort that takes is immense. Some people seem to think they can race at that pace for the entire Tour.
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    Whack-'em Rodiguez has done well :D
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    FJS wrote:
    Leipheimer not in yet?

9 minutes down. Lost suction.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • donrhummy
    dg74 wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    Wow, I didn't expect Contador not to contest that.

I could be wrong but I think the controversy from the mechanical is what stopped him.

Yep, you're wrong.

What are you basing that on?
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    he had some easier stages before riding with a wounded leader. those could not have been that bad. stressful, but not too taxing. menchov and gesink on the other hand have been riding at the front. from my limited experieince in the surrey league easter 3 day - the longest stage race i've done - i'd rather mooch around at the back and show myself on only 1 day. that's all, Horner didn't factor at the front for the last week apart from the break.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    edited July 2010
    FJS wrote:
    Leipheimer not in yet?
    Came in at 8.59. Drops out of the top 10.
  • donrhummy
    Who would have predicted Horner would not only be top 10, but that he'd be RadioShack's top rider?
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    That was the most boring stage in the history of cycling ever.

I feel sorry for the fans who camped out for 3 days to watch a cycling parade cruise by.

Why don't these riders try?

They're weak. The sport is stuffed. If they are going to be so lame, juice them up to at least make it interesting.

FFS - people.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Pokerface wrote:
    Wow. There's just no pleasing some people. And you can tell who on the forum has probably never ridden or raced a bike.

Some of the best racing I've seen for a while there. But the effort that takes is immense. Some people seem to think they can race at that pace for the entire Tour.

+1

I can't believe someone just called it "Dull, Dull, Dull". My sister's fiance came in as it was finishing and asked me for a less than 10 word update, and my response was "One-of-the-best-stage-i-have-ever-seen"
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Contador had nothing left in the final hairpins - seemed like an even race to me - no gifts. There are 2 riders at the top of the sport now.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Horner into top 10 and top Shacker.
    So, we basically have a "battle" for 3rd in the ITT?
    The winner on the Tourmalet won't be wearing yellow in Paris.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    edited July 2010
    Pokerface wrote:
    +1

I can't believe someone just called it "Dull, Dull, Dull". My sister's fiance came in as it was finishing and asked me for a less than 10 word update, and my response was "One-of-the-best-stage-i-have-ever-seen"
    +1 ;) I enjoyed that; I couldn't see a sodding thing though :P

Lövkvist at 6'21'' down only, good ride by him too :)