HITCHIN ...... are you there ?

1234568»

Comments

• Jamieg285
    Jamieg285 Posts: 98
    Hi guys,

I originally stated on http://hitchinmtb.freeforums.org/ that my goals for 2012 were to investigate the area for decent wooded runs in the areas to the east of Luton. Doesn't seem to be much traffic over there and is definitely more here, so I thought I'd report my findings here instead. My plan is to post small updates as I find them, with maps where possible, and when I get time(!) start putting together a small website bringing it all together.

Some of you may already know these runs, and may be able to suggest places for me to check out. All feedback is welcome.

Last night was the first time out proper off-roading on my new Cube Ltd Pro 29, and I did a short 9 mile run and found a few places of interest.

I've been planning my routes using the OS maps available on Bing maps. Simply find the area, select OS Maps and zoom in until the map type changes, and you can see all of the marked footpaths and wood/farm names.

Starting from Luton, at the top of Crawley Green Road, heading to Cockernhoe - there's a foot path that runs SE along the border of the Wigmore estate. This path is tarmaced, but there is a thin wooded band with a nice bit if single track running parallel. It's reasonable well defined and fast, with the occasional tight twisty bits to keep you on your toes.

Just NE of this is Brickkiln Wood. There are access points in from both bottom corners, mid-way along the E edge and to the North (may be others). There's some nice wide flowing sections, some tight twisty bits, occasional roots and (small) fallen trees as obstacles, and the occasional bit of undulation. A few forks to follow, and looks like a loop can be made from the pathways. Be aware, there was a section that had some exposed metal meshing - heavy duty, with ends sticking up, could cause damage if caught. I might see if I can do something about it next time, if I take some tools with me.

Moving SE again, on the NW edge of Darleyhall is Darley Wood. A quite small and compact section, with entrance points from the road (opposite the pub) and to the NE corner. The close nature of the trees means it's quite enclosed and therefore lots of tree debris on the floor, making it a bit loose under wheel. Tight and twisty, there's a short loop that takes just a minute or two to complete.

Finally for now, a short warning. To the north of these site is Stubbocks Wood. I didn't explore it this time, but followed the footpath around the E edge and down the hill towards Furzen wood. The hill is quite steep and you get a fair speed up going down it (just over 20mph, according to the GPS trace). The problem comes with the field at the bottom, which is an active growing field and VERY bumpy as a result. My water bottle dropped out (didn't notice till a mile later!) and on returning to try and find it, I also dropped the cycle computer. Thankfully, both were recovered, but I'll take the hill slower next time (if at all).

I don't have time to sort a marked map out now, but will do one for the website, and on here if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Jamie
  • Hi Jamie
    We do various rides in the area - including one that goes from Streately, by Putteridge Bury, Cockenhoe, Breachwood Green, and around to Whitwell that goes through or skirts many of the woods you mention.

A good wood I went through the other night (which was probably a footpath) is Leet Wood - which is just south of Barton Le Clay. This has a single track which is very off camber & rooty in places & probably one of the most technical bits in these parts. There is a good loop up from the Lilley (?) road; through Leet wood; and back down through a disused pit area to the Liley road again.

If your around one Sunday morning at 8.30am DO come & join us as we meet outside the Pine Hills Hospital in Hitchin.

Regards - John
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Hi John, hope all is well with all the Sunday riders! Just an update on how my race on Sunday went. Tunstall in my opinion is like a mini Thetford but with way more of then stupid humpy things. They crammed more into the course than at Thetford and it was shorter laps! Horrible :x
    I managed a respectable 24th over the 2hrs which I'm not too pleased with as the course was not my cup of tea due to all the humps. Leg and back breaker on a hardtail.
    Hylands park on 28th April which I have a point to prove and hope for a top 16 place.

See you soon!
  • Hi Ben
    Congratulations.....we did miss you on Sunday!

We had 7 out and it was a brilliant morning. A bit brisk to start off with but it soon warmed up and was bright & sunny. We continued developing the ride, from the previous week, past Luffenhall and through Walkern.

I was out today pushing it even further & went on eastwards past the windmill at Cromer & went down some of 'Back Lane' which is a die straight Roman Road and a great track; and around Ardeley back through Walkern on the tracks & back up towards Chesterfield Park to Gravely. I did it in a couple of hours from home - so very do-able with a fer more loops thrown in!

Hopefully see you Sunday - 8.30am outside Pine Hills Hospital in Hitchin. All welcome!

John
  • This post has been re-posted under ‘Hitchin, Hertfordshire – regular Sunday morning ride’
    And the link is here: viewtopic.php?f=10014&t=12849464

An introduction has been added to inform potential riders & we agreed today that we would have a slower/shorted ride the last Sunday of every month for newbies/returners.

OTT Mountain Biking, who operate in the south of our area, have a newbies ride on the first Sunday.

Regards - John