HITCHIN ...... are you there ?

Comments

• evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Flipping hell mate that is not good :( fooking to$$ers!! I too live in Hitchin and am very concerned about these thefts. There was a spout of them earlier in year and thought they had passed but obviously not :x
    Were your bikes insured?

I dont think they are doing the midweek rides at moment but still out every sunday.

John, wont be out this sunday. Im off to Cannock Chase for some trail riding with a friend. If anyone fancies tagging along you are most welcome :D
  • Hi Dom (AKA Pastasauce) I agree with Ben - thats tragic!!

Re Wednesday night rides - I'm unfortunately busy many Wednesdays now & the nights are much shorted. I have bought some new lights though - the Magishine 'micky mouse' ones (3 light set) from Dealextreme - so I really must test them out sometime.

I know Ben still gets out some evenings & I am sure Alex will try to get out (he has a new bike .........) - so if you dont have their contacts PM or text me.

Sunday Mornings are still going strong & even picking up!

8.30am Hitchin Pine Hills Hospital for a 2-3 hour bash.

Regards - John
  • Given the fantastic weather we should have another good ride this Sunday.

After a couple of Sundays riding around the Wallington & Luffenhall area it would be nice to get back to the Pirton / Telegraph Hill / Lilley area again & push on towards Barton-le-Clay.

'Silly Grin' are heading out from the Motte & Bailey at Pirton at 9.00am so we are likely to see them out.

We leave, as usual, from the Pine Hills Hospital in Hitchin at 8.30am - so if your interested in joining us give me a shout!

Regards - John
  • Pastasauce (Dom) posted a few days ago about bikes being stolen in Hitchin & the surrounding area.

Alan had the good news that his bike was recovered by the Police before he was aware it had been stolen as his garage was closed again by the theives. Luckily he had it data tagged....

The Police also discoverd a large haul of other stolen bikes - so if you had your bike stolen lately you may be in luck........

The policeman dealing with it is: PC WOOD 1947 - Tel: 01438 757237 from Stevenage.

John
  • I'm going to be arranging some test rides on some 2012 Specialized machines in the near future and am looking for suggestions on where to take them on a test ride.

I only have a basic grasp of the road network in Hitchin, and none going off road. Is anyone able to mark some possible routes on a map for a decent test ride lasting 30-45 mins, starting from Pauls Bikes in Walsworth Road? I've noticed that it's not far from your Hospital start point, so I'm sure you'll have loads of suggestions!!

tip: if you zoom in far enough on Bing maps, you get the decent OS Explorer maps showing the footpaths. You can copy that then draw routes on in Paint.
  • noggsy
    noggsy Posts: 162
    Jamie if you click here http://www.sillygrin.co.uk/ and then click routes in the box on the left of the page there are a number of routes of the local area.

HTH
  • evo3ben
    Jamieg285 wrote:
    I'm going to be arranging some test rides on some 2012 Specialized machines in the near future and am looking for suggestions on where to take them on a test ride.

I only have a basic grasp of the road network in Hitchin, and none going off road. Is anyone able to mark some possible routes on a map for a decent test ride lasting 30-45 mins, starting from Pauls Bikes in Walsworth Road? I've noticed that it's not far from your Hospital start point, so I'm sure you'll have loads of suggestions!!

tip: if you zoom in far enough on Bing maps, you get the decent OS Explorer maps showing the footpaths. You can copy that then draw routes on in Paint.

I have a fair few routes mapped out ranging from 45 min to 4 hours and would be happy to help you out.
    It does take about 10 min or so to get to any decent trails from the bike shop but def worth it to get a feel of the bike. If they let you test fide for an hour that should do it.
    I dont work some days during the week so if you want can always meet you there and take you around a route if need be :wink:

This is a 45 min route (not including getting to the trail and back) http://www.brytonsport.com/mapTrackView/2?id=155243

Should be ideal for the time you need.
  • @ nogsy - thanks, I've already perused a few of those, and although too long for what I am looking for now, they have given me some direction for routes to explore at other times.

@ Ben - that looks just the ticket. 45mins - at what sort of pace? Is the loop best done clock wise, or anti? Is there a way to browse other routes on that site (I didn't see anything obvious/working).
  • This morning we had 6 out and did one of Mark's regular rides from Hitchin - Gt Wymondley - Langley - Whitwell - Preston - & back to Hitchin.

IWe did about 22mi and the rain even stopped again for us - after raining heavily throughout the night & up to 30mins before we left. It seems strange but its only rained ONCE whilst we have been riding in the last 18months - although it has rained before & after.

Were out again next Sunday from Pine Hill Hospital, Benslow lane, In Hitchin leaving @ 8.30am.

PM me or post here if you would like to join us.

Regards - John
  • evo3ben
    Due to work commitments and a Race on the 6th November i wont be out again until 13th November :( If you decide to do a night ride during the week i would def be up for that :D
  • Is that the Thet series on Nov 6th ?

I might be doing that too.
  • evo3ben
    Yes all booked and paid for. First time in this series, been racing in the MSG series most of this year. Not sure if fitness going to be at best for it but in all honesty im only doing it as part of my training plan over winter so am a good level of fitness for next years MSG series.
    From what i have been told it has a big field of riders (over 100) in the 2hr race and top 50 is regarded as good.
  • Hi Ben & Dom

Strangely enough I was looking at this race series myself last night. I fancied (not) the 4 hour entry......

If Drew is doing it perhaps we can draft him!

John
  • evo3ben
    I think you should have a go John 8) Will be a good day out and no doubt a great atmosphere. Dont leave it to pay on the day though as i think it will be fully booked by race day.

Team Pine Hill :lol:
  • Just signed up for Nov 6th.

Been meaning to do that series for a couple of years now.

Should be an eye opener after a couple of months off and a couple of stone back on :D

Still, theres a fortnight to turn it all around :shock:
  • Hi Pastasauce

I'm in too - so that makes 5 of us - Warren; Drew; Evoben; you & myself....

We'll have to get some training in this Sunday - 8.30am Pine Hills Hospital - Hitchin.

John
  • After more advice from the locals :?

I've been looking around for a new bike, to be bought in January (Cyclescheme). I've been asking a few questions elsewhere on this forum, but most of the answers come back as - it depends on the type of riding.

What would you categorise the Luton-Hitchin area as?

What bikes in the £900-1K range would you recommend?

Should I look for air forks, or coil? Any advice from more experienced riders of the area are gratefully received.
  • I ride a Spesh Epic with 100mm, and a HT with 120mm and they are perfect for the area IMO.

However if you go further afield then you may want more travel.

If I could only have one bike for THIS area it would be my HT no question, but odd jaunts away (esp the potholed hell of the Thetford Black run) make me keep the Epic.

And if a HT I'd get something leaning more towards XC style of riding rather than a HT with 140mm forks.
  • evo3ben
    Hi Pastasauce

I'm in too - so that makes 5 of us - Warren; Drew; Evoben; you & myself....

We'll have to get some training in this Sunday - 8.30am Pine Hills Hospital - Hitchin.

John

5 of us! Wow 8) I dont think the wife and little one are coming with me for this one so will have room to take someone and there bike if needed :D
  • evo3ben
    Jamieg285 wrote:
    After more advice from the locals :?

I've been looking around for a new bike, to be bought in January (Cyclescheme). I've been asking a few questions elsewhere on this forum, but most of the answers come back as - it depends on the type of riding.

What would you categorise the Luton-Hitchin area as?

What bikes in the £900-1K range would you recommend?

Should I look for air forks, or coil? Any advice from more experienced riders of the area are gratefully received.

I have a 100mm hardtail and a 140mm full susser and in all honesty, i go for the hardtail everytime for around Hitchin, Luton and all other surrounding towns.
    I keep the 140mm full susser for the more challenging stuff like trail centres like Cannock Chase, Coed Y Brenin etc.
    I may take the full susser out around here just for a change but no where near as quick as the hardtail for XC stuff.
    If your limit is £1000 i would suggest a hardtail over a full susser anyway for value for money and definately would not ignore the Boardman range that Halfords sell as they are a great bike for the money :wink:
  • Hi,

Hope you're all well! I rode with some of you a while back once on your Sunday morning rides... was really fun however it always seemed that the Sunday rides conflicted with other events/ rides.

I was wandering if any of you would be up for some mid-week (probably Thursday or Tuesday) night rides. Either starting locally in Hitchin or even a trip to chicksands/ woburn XC loops?

Regards,
    Clint.
  • evo3ben
    Funnily enough i was just thinking the same 8) I went out on my own over Barton Hills last week and got spooked by some strange noises pmsl :lol:

I would def be up for a night ride during the week of which tuesday or thursday is good for me.
    Be great if any of the others could make it as well.

I will send a text to John and he can then ask the others :D
  • evo3ben
    Race numbers are now out for Thetford Race on sunday :D

Im number 54 but they have spelt my name wrong.

Here is the link to find your number :wink:http://www.thetfordmtbracing.com/ws1regentries.htm

Cant believe how many people are racing!! :shock:

175 2hr solo male 18-39
    199 2hr solo male 40+
    19 females

And all at a start time of 10:40 That is one hell of a mass start :shock: Quick off the start is definately priority.
  • Well that was fun ....

Felt really good until halfway through the 3rd lap when I really tired - was hoping not to complete the 3rd lap inside 2hrs but just got inside so had to do 4 in the end.

Heres to a bit of training in anticipation for the next rounds as have just entered 2 +3.

Was thinking of doing the 2 x laps of the Greenway on a midweek evening as training - it should equate to approx 2.5hrs so comparable timewise.
  • Hi Ben,

Did a night ride over at Chicksands last Friday was pretty fun. Would have messaged however with the site being down not much I could do as I don;t have Johns number anymore. Let me know when you fancy a night ride... I reckon unless something comes I may try for this Thursday.

Clint.
  • Fun, fun – I am not sure about that!

Riding for with my heart rate at the top of my aerobic range for 2 hours – and still only coming 150th in my category is a strange way of having fun……

I did beat about 50 – hopefully including the 73yr old – so maybe not a bad first race.

I was pushing out laps of about 39mins; pastasauce a bit less & got ahead; Warren & Evoben about 35/36mins; and Drew – an impressive 30mins!! I did however duck out after 3 laps (4 mins under the cut off for the 4th) as I was blown out after the 3.

I am up for a bit of mid-week training now that I have some landing lights….

I did the Greenway last Friday night & can be out this Wed or Friday (committed on Tues & Thurs). I suppose I have got to do round 2 now to improve on 150th place ……

Failing that I will see you on Sunday @ 8.30am outside Pine Hill Hospital Hitchin – for our usual run out – all welcome.

John
  • Yup - you have to do round 2.

Esp. as the 73yr old is probably training as we speak/ type ....

Weekly 2-lappers of the Greenway should be just the tonic !
  • Hi Pastasauce & all Hitchin Riders - Anyone up for about 25mi on Friday night at 6.45pm??

I'm in for round 2!!

I could only do 3 laps in about 1hr 56mins & came 150th - If I could have managed another lap I would have jumped up the rankings by about 25 places on my lap times....

So more training for speed & endurance!

Clearly the one ride a week - Hitchin Sunday Ride - is not enough so additional training has started as & when. Ive done a quick lap of the Greenway (Letchworth) tonight & Pastasauce & myself will do a double lap (about 12.7 mi x2) on Friday night.

If anyone else would like to join us give us a shout - you can do one lap (12.7mi) or two. Meet at the corner of Highfield & Sollershot West in Letchworth.

John
  • evo3ben
    Wish i could make it John but as the wife is away so gotta look after little one.
    I did have a ride around the Greenway today but went a little wrong after Standalone Farm going back to Hitchin for some reason. Had to go cross country using the force lol.
    I can see the Greenway being a good training ground and will def use it again.

See you sunday :D
  • evo3ben
    Have been working on a little something this evening and taken a few hours to complete. Not sure weather you will be interested in using it but please take a look and let me know what you think :)

www.hitchinmtb.freeforums.org