HITCHIN ...... are you there ?

Comments

• evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Thanks very much for the ride out this morning :D I have lived in this area most of my life and for alot of the ride i didnt even know where i was lol.
    Was great to meet you all and look forward to the next one! 8)
  • Another good ride from Mark - the routemaster last week.

A 22 mile off -road loop taking in: Great Wymondly; Gravely; Weston Hills; Luffenhall; Halls Green and back through Gravely to Hitchin.

3 weeks of reasonably dry weather has left the tracks in dry condition & a good time of 2hrs 15mins was achieved - which is the best of the year so far...

We had 7 of us out & were pleased to welcome evo3ben from this forum.

The weather looks like shorts this Sunday which should be another great outing. All are welcome & we meet outside the Pine Hills Hospital, in Hitchin, at 8.30am.

Hope to see you then - John
  • alcooker
    alcooker Posts: 23
    Just popped my night ride cherry. John and I did the Offley/Lilley route, about 18 miles.
    Highlight was getting to the top of the hill from Pirton Manor and seeing the sunset over the valley towards Barton. Didn't have too much darkness, but what we did have was hairy enough for me on the descent down into Charlton, poor John must've been hanging on for dear life as he had no lights to see the tyre track ruts.

It's only going to get lighter now so a midweek ride ought to be on the agenda before long.

Al
  • Yep great ride!!

We just about squeezed it in between the showers although we got a bit damp on the way home!

Going down chalk hill - in the dark was hairy enough without following the dancing headlights of the rider ahead whose lights were of no benefit to me as they just disguised the ruts & dips with hard shaddows. A pretty hairy (but exciting) experience!

And riding back through Hitchin town centre over the wet cobbles with all the night lights on - and the bemused commuters scurrying home in the drizzle - was a pretty memorable experience.

Weather permitting - we should be able to get out again on Thursday - if we have interest.

John
  • noggs
    noggs Posts: 10
    if anyone is interested us sillygrin lot will be riding from the Green Man at Gt Offley on Wednesday, setting off around 6:30 should mean most of the ride can be completed without the need for lights.
  • Hi Noggs

Thanks for that - I may be joining you & will spread the word.

John
  • Hi Noggs

The most up to date info is that 3-4 of us Hitchin Sunday riders should be joining you tomorrow!

Hopefully see you then

Regards - John
  • alcooker
    Assuming I don't get tied up with any clients, I'll be there.
  • noggs
    It will be good to see everyone later, it's a shame the weather doesn't look like it's going to play ball but hey ho.
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    I dont get home from work till 18:30 :( otherwise i would have joined you.

John, im good for this sunday if the ride out from Pinehill is on? will give you a text to confirm nearer the time :wink:
  • noggs
    Good ride last night gents and amazingly the weather held out as well.

Andrews quick isn't he, perhaps we should let the air out of his tyres next time.

You didn't miss anything in the pub they had no crisps and couldn't even cook the chips properly, I think we might start from the Windmill in Charlton next time.
  • Great ride Noggs & Sillygrin

We did the familiar Offley Telegraph Hill loop with some new deviations....

Now that the weather has dried out there is some great riding around locally again - and several very friendly groups.

Sillygrin (see their website) who ride in the Beds area but overlap into North Herts; and the OTT (see their website) who ride out from Harpenden. I have been out with both of these in the last week & would thoroughly recommend them.

There is also a group who ride out of Baldock on Saturdays at 9.30.....

And of course ourselves who ride out every Sunday morning from Pine Hill Hospital in Hitchin at 8.30am for about 2.5 hours.

So there's every opportunity for those solo riders out there to join up with like minded MTBers out for fresh air & exercise in some fantastic countryside - particularly when the sun is out!

John
  • pastasauce
    pastasauce Posts: 221
    Sunday folk ............

I've entered the Bucks Offroad SPortive if anyone else is up for it ?

http://www.bucksoffroadsportive.co.uk/

Am doing the 82.5 mile route.

:)

Dom
  • alcooker
    Dom,

82.5 miles off road on a bike, I reckon I could just about manage 80 on road on a road bike. I know I'm passing on an opportunity of early death, but I'll have to opt out.

Good luck

Alex

p.s. certainly up for some night rides though
  • alcooker
    Guys,
    Just to let you know I wont be able to ride Sundays until the 15 th may. I can get out this Monday eve if anyone fancies it or anytime midweek this week.

Al
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    patchesuk wrote:
    Hey Fellas,

I live in Baldock, would am keen too get involved in some local rides! I do most types of riding from DH to XC to road; so am up for anything.

I tend to ride further afield at the moment but could do with doing some rides closer to home.

Would be appreciated if I could tag along sometime?

Clint.

I used to live in Baldock, used to get regular lock ins in the Hen & Chicken and will never forget the Suffolk Summer real ale in The C0ck.

Nice bit of bridleway from Baldock to Stevenbitch too.
    Guinness for strength
  • We have had a few addituional rides over the Easter period including some with Sillygrin at Chicksands at and at Woburn Sands.

We will probably be riding out this Friday - the Day of the Royal Wedding - at 8.30am for 2-3 hours. The route is yet to be decided but it will be out from the Pine Hill Hospital as usual.

Dont worry - you should still be able to get back for your street parties....

Also now that the evenings are getting longer there is considerable interest in evening rides. Wednesdays may be a good evening to get together as it gives us the opportunity to ride out by ourselves or tie up with sillygrin as they get together on this evening.

Have a good week - hopefully see you Friday morning.....

John
  • alcooker
    I'll be there on Friday, on for a long one aswell, that 25 miler was great yesterday. I was hoping to get out tomorrow night, but I want to take Thursday off work so I'm going to do a late one at work tomorrow night.
  • johnhighfield
    johnhighfield Posts: 173
    After a few evening rides - and the odd sorte with 'sillygrin' - it was back to a gloriously sunny Hitchin Sunday ride this morning.

We had 7 out which included a few new faces as well as a returning rider & did an extended Offley loop. This pushed the envelope towards Luton & took in: Pirton; Streatley; Stopsley; Putteridgebury; Offley; Charlton & back to Hitchin. 25mi in total from where I started, in Letchworth, and about another 8, or so, for those who rode in from Stevenage.

We tackled a few hills, Telegraph Hill & Warden Hill - & raced down Chalk Hill!!

All in all a great outing.......

Hopefully next week will be equally good. 8.30am outside the Pine Hill Hospital in Hitchin.

John
  • noggs
    For those who fancy joining us we are riding a Pirton loop starting from the Motte & Bailey pub in Pirton ready to ride 6:30 Weds 4th.

http://www.sillygrin.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3687
  • johnhighfield
    Hi Noggs

Thanks for the invite - I was watching it on your website.... I have passed the invite along to the Sunday crew and.....if I can make it ....offer to take you on one of my loops.

Regards - John
  • markyJ
    markyJ Posts: 2
    Unfit :D 38 year old, new to the area and looking to join up with anyone riding around hitchin/offley/pirton.

Does anyone here ride locally?
  • johnhighfield
    Hi Markj

Welcome to outrlittle Hitchin string......

We are a bunch of MTB riders who ride out every Sunday from outside Pine Hills Hospital in Hitchin at 8.30am for about 2-3 hrs.

We ride over towards Luton; down to Whitwell and over around Stevenage - generally.

As the weather has improved we also get out some evenings - trying to do Wednesdays as the 'sillygrin' group from Beds are out then - often starting from towns in our area.

We normally have between 4 - 7 out riding from a group of some 10-12 riders of varying ages & levels of fitness.

You are most welcome to join us - see you Sunday - hopefully!

John
  • markyJ
    markyJ Posts: 2
    John,

Thanks for the reply. I can't make it out this Sunday but will make arrangements to join up with you the weekend after.

See you then!
  • pastasauce
    Are there any plans for an evening ride this week ?

Dominic
  • johnhighfield
    Hi Dom

We designated Wed as the evening we would try to get together on - as a target - as 'sillygrin' (see their website) also ride then & occasionally start from Pirton / Offley.

Alex & myself have done a few evenings (& joined up with sillygrin once or twice) but it has been on the fly.

We said we'd try & get out this Wed, & it would be great if you'd join us, but it will again be on the fly depending on when we can get home. So....... if we aim to get out Wednesday & keep each other in the text loop - it should happen.

John
  • pastasauce
    Sure, let me know.

Should be ok for Weds.

Got to make the most of it whilst its fast and dry !
  • johnhighfield
    Another great ride out last Sunday with 9 of us!!

We did a good loop from Hitchin (Gravely, Weston Hills, Luffenhall, Weston, & back through Gravely) @ about 22 miles.

Three of us - on the way home - also hacked around part of Letchworth's Greenway & totalled about 29mi for the whole ride.

We have also established Wednesdays as our midweek night now & did a good 23mi loop (Ickleford, Pirton, Warden Hill, Stopsley, Putteridgebury, Offley, Charleton & back to Hitchin) starting at 7.00 & getting back just before dark......

We are out again Sunday meeting at Pine Hills Hospital, Hitchin, at 8.30am for about a 2.5hr ride - so please post if you plan to join us.

John
  • Weather permitting we are planning a ride this Wed starting at the Cambridge Rd (A505) & St Michael's Rd roundabout at 7.00pm.

We should be heading out through Pirton at about 7.30 & going on towards Telegraph Hill & will be out for 2+ hrs.

John
  • wayne66
    wayne66 Posts: 1
    hi john just found where the site is if had found earlier would of come out on the ride tonight,ended up doing a loop from stevenage datchworth bramfield back to datchworth stevenage cant make sunday but hoping to meet up on the next wednesday ride if you out cheers from wayne