HITCHIN ...... are you there ?

pastasauce
pastasauce Posts: 221
edited April 2012 in MTB rides
Anyone on the forum from Hitchin, or local to it ?

Let me know if you want to meet up for an off road ride, evenings or weekends .....................

I do the the Pirton/ Offley/ Charlton loop with occasional forays further to Barton on a regular basis.

Also Thet, Woburn, etc ....

I'm 38 and averagely fit :lol:

Come on, I know you're out there ....... !

Cheers

:D

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Im in Bedford area - ride at Chicksands / Woburn / Thetford / Cannock.

There are some pretty decent rides around Ampthill / Millbrook area if you fancy coming over this way any time.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • pastasauce
    Cheers fella, might take you up on that ...

Would like to have some riding contacts in Hitchin as well, or very local surrounds.

Theres loads of the buggers and most are riding alone so theres plenty of scope for a casual group of riders wanting an inpromtu evening spin or longer weekend type of thing ....

I know theres stuff going on in Baldock and Harpenden, but thats no good for a regular ride. And besides, the rides out from Hitchin are really good for XC.
  • Ferenc
    Ferenc Posts: 118
    I am a way away in Enfield but would love to come up your way for a ride. Its one overland train for me. What you up to next weekend?
  • Hi Pastasauce

Between 4-6 of us go out from Hitchin on a regular basis every Sunday @ 8.30am for about 2.5hrs & do about 22-25 mi XC on the tracks.

We meet outside the Pine Hill Hospital, Bensloe Lane, in Hitchin & one of us (Mark) knows many routes around the area. We do the Offley loop - with variations - & today did a 24mi circular route - Hitchin - Charlton - Preston - Whitwell - Langley - Titmore Green - Little Wymondly - & back to Hitchin. 90% on tracks joined up by bits of road.

We dont do pub or cafe stops - just an off-road thrash!

All comers are welcome!

John
  • upinsmoke
    upinsmoke Posts: 278
    I'm in Letchworth. That Sunday morning blast sounds good. (Not this weekend as I'm up in Scotland)

Hopefully I'll catch some of you soon.
  • Hi Upinsmoke

A few of us are from Letchworth but we joined up with a few fellow Sunday morningers we met on the tracks as they know far more routes.

Hope to see you sometime soon.

John
  • pastasauce
    John.

That sounds good, especially as I live at the bottom of Benslow lane ........

Am tied up this Sunday but hopefully can make the 8th.

I'll be at the top at 0830 so keep an eye out for me ....... !

Cheers

:D
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    I live in Welwyn but unfortunately I am at Uni for the next 2 years finishing my degree!! Completely agree witht he rideouts in Hitchin though as they are fantastic!
  • Hi Pastasauce

We looked out for you this morning & waited about 10 mins but could not see you! Please confirm by PM or posting if your out next Sunday so we dont miss you.

Incidentally - Pine Hill Hospital is near Hitchin Station so if any bikers out from London by train want a spin around the North Herts tracks they are welcome to join us. Post here or PM me & we will meet you at the station.

Regards - John
  • Ferenc
    Hi guys! I would be keen to meet up with you this Sunday if there is a get together? I will be coming up from Enfield by train but can be there for 8:30AM? :)
  • Hi FERENC

I can meet you at Hitchin station at 8.30am on Sunday. Please let me know if you are unable to make it.

John
  • Ferenc
    Hi John, I will be there around 8:30. If I dont make it I will let you know before hand and will also try and kick myself up the butt too! :D
  • Ferenc
    just having a look at rail times...I can meet you at 8 AM or 8:45 AM. Which would be better for you John?
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    Hi Guys,

I around Cambridge and am just getting into MTB. Got an average bike and am of average fitness. Been riding through the red/black thetford routes but want to get out and explore more. Planning to go to to Chicksands some time.

Any chance I could tag along for a ride? what sort of time do you generally finish? I live about 45 mins drive away.

Thanks
    Ian
  • Hi Ferenc
    I would go for the 8.00am then if the train is late you would still be in time for an 8.30 start. I can also meet you a bit earlier than 8.30 & show you where we usually start from which is a few minutes away.

John
  • HI Eyon

Your welcome. We start at 8.30am & normally finish 11-11.30 & do about 22 miles. We dont go mad but keep up a reasonable pace without stopping for cafe or pub stops.

Let me know if you are definately coming & I will PM you & tell you where to park as I live a few miles away fron the meeting point.

John
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    Sadly not this week John, just found out I am being dragged off to do other things this weekend by the girlfriend, unfortunately. However if you do it every weekend, the weekend following this one I'd like to come along. I'll PM you closer to the time!

Thanks
    Ian
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    if its trails you are after, the ones at chicksands are in a poor state at the mo. it is more about 4x racing and the mini-dh type runs.
    there are trails through the woods and its not a large area to get lost in but wont keep you busy for long
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Hi nannac85

Yes I have been to Chicksands & its a great place! We are just trying to keep it local here having a regular ride out in the surrounding countryside without the need for getting the car out.

There's a few other groups around in Harpenden & Beds (OTT & Silly Grin) who look as if they do attractive stuff - but it means loading the bike on the car which I am trying to avoid.

8.30 Sunday morning outside Pine Hill Hospital (near Hitchin Rail station) is the time for anyone interested........

John
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Hi all,

Just seen this post :oops: Im from Hitchin also :D

Usually get out about 3 times a week depending on work, oh and family lol. I know a couple of good routes that i have used a map to make but would love to find more.
    Im going to make a face book account for hitchin mtb'rs if anyone is interested? This way we can all post up when we are riding and get together etc 8) Will let you know details once done.
  • evo3ben
    Have the facebook page set up 8) No pics or stuff on there yet but will set up a bit better when time. search on facebook for 'Hitchin Mtb'
  • Hi Evo3ben

If you get out Sunday mornings you know where to find us....... John
  • A good new ride this morning with about 80% of it sorted & a few tracks yet to be found - they have either dissappeared or been planted over with crops!!

The route is posted on facebook under 'Hitchin MTB'

Our numbers are depleted next Sunday & I am on my own so would appreciate some company....

John
  • Hello Hitchin people,

I am from Lower Stondon (so about 4.5 miles from your start point).

I have been riding very infrequently over the last few months and want to get back to it. Obviously it's not the best time of year for that. :(

I probably need to get back to regular longer rides before I join you on a Sunday (and maybe wait for the weather to improve a little too).

If you are still riding, I would love to join your Sunday runs in the next month or so.

I am 36, pretty inexperienced and have learned the hard way at Chicksands that XC is for me... and definitely not jumping. :)

Cheers,

Mark
  • Pezzle
    Pezzle Posts: 27
    Hey Razor myself the other half (live in Meppershal) and a bunch of others from around Beds/Buck/Northampton meet up quite regularly at Woburn Trails. Drop me a PM if you fancy joining us we tend to head out early saturday or sunday mornings.
  • Hi Razor1548

You are most welcome - we are not overly fit or fast - although some are fitter & faster than others.......

We have been a bit depleted in the last few weeks & not made it out every Sunday due to injury; holidays & one of us who races. I am away for a couple of Sundays over Christmas too - but I'm sure we should be back to normal after Christmas.

Regards - John
  • evo3ben
    Razor, im from hitchin and ride 2-3 times a week mainly weekdays but do ride weekends when im free. Not been able to get along to ride with the other guys but do intend on starting with them after xmas :D
    I ride with 3 mates and we travel to Wales 2-3 times a year for a long weekend friday - monday of which you are more than welcome to tag along.
    We are also going to Cannock Chase this saturday if your interested. None of us are mega fit and one of us is recovering from a broken shoulder and elbow so not gonna be a manic one. We are not into all that jumping stuff either, too old for that now as we are all 34+ but do injoy xc and some down hill speed 8)
  • Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to join you after Christmas, should've been sooner but my bike build has taken longer than I thought. Was going to pop up today or to Chicksands but my IS to post mount front brake adapter didn't show up yesterday, so only on a back brake until mid week.
    I'm probably in the same boat as Razor fitness wise, but looking forward to getting out.

p.s. I live opposite William Ransom school in a greenish house, would I have seen 2 of you regularly ride past on Sundays on either Trek or Specialized full sussers?

Cheers
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    John, I used to ride some of these trails many years ago.

Would love to go out with you one Sunday in the New Year if that's ok.

Paul.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Sounds like a post Christmas ride to burn off the pies is coming together !

:)