Shutt VR - Much Recommended!

Comments

• Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Just bought my first Shutt jersey, first impressions are good, nice fabric and design (though I mustr admit most of the colour combinations dont really do it for me).

Arrived quickly and well packaged.

Main negative is that next to my rapha jerseys the quality is significantly less good. The stitching, cut and gripper are all much lower quality. Dont get me wrong it is fine and if I was just comparing to normal synthetic jersyeys it is much better.

Rapha are still ahead of you at the moment and my guess is that they are what you aspire to be.
  • I've spoken to Pete many a time about this, we don't want to be Rapha at all.
    As a consumer i appreciate how the fact that we make merino jersey's, so do rapha. The prices of Rapha are somewhat higher than ours though.

The core ethos of our business at Shutt, is to deliver quality, high standard of service, cater for all and make sure everyone is more than happy with what they have recieved. We are proud to be British aswell, we handmake the jersey's and shorts in the UK (imo gives them a bit more character than a rapha number churned out a machine in the far east) we even stopped a factory from closing down, and with the sustained growth continually are making new jobs.

After watching that docu with rob penn on BBC4 last week, seeing cycling being one of the few industries to manufacture in this country still is quite refreshing. Albeit on a small scale.

don't get me wrong, I do like Rapha probably more than is healthy and particularly what they do from a branding point of view, it's a good benchmark but it's not what we aim to be. of late they're going down the fashion route, with partnerships with Timothy Everest and Paul Smith, that's something we'll probably never do. We revolve around riding our bikes, and enjoying it. Not necesarily the Rapha ideology of glory through suffering.

We've only been around for a year, so very much still in the growth phase of things, building a product portfolio etc etc. There's lots more coming in Autumn so watch this space!

Also, can I ask what colour combinations would do it for you? Any help is good help!
    Apologies if it seems if i hijacked the thread!

Regards,
    matt
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • Aguila
    I've spoken to Pete many a time about this, we don't want to be Rapha at all.
    As a consumer i appreciate how the fact that we make merino jersey's, so do rapha. The prices of Rapha are somewhat higher than ours though.

The core ethos of our business at Shutt, is to deliver quality, high standard of service, cater for all and make sure everyone is more than happy with what they have recieved. We are proud to be British aswell, we handmake the jersey's and shorts in the UK (imo gives them a bit more character than a rapha number churned out a machine in the far east) we even stopped a factory from closing down, and with the sustained growth continually are making new jobs.

After watching that docu with rob penn on BBC4 last week, seeing cycling being one of the few industries to manufacture in this country still is quite refreshing. Albeit on a small scale.

don't get me wrong, I do like Rapha probably more than is healthy and particularly what they do from a branding point of view, it's a good benchmark but it's not what we aim to be. of late they're going down the fashion route, with partnerships with Timothy Everest and Paul Smith, that's something we'll probably never do. We revolve around riding our bikes, and enjoying it. Not necesarily the Rapha ideology of glory through suffering.

We've only been around for a year, so very much still in the growth phase of things, building a product portfolio etc etc. There's lots more coming in Autumn so watch this space!

Also, can I ask what colour combinations would do it for you? Any help is good help!

Regards,
    matt

It's funny how everyone belittles rapha as "just being about fashion". The reason rapha is my favourite brand by a long way is that it is absolutely beautifully made (btw hand made is only going to be an advantage if the quality is good, I could hand make you a jersey which would be a pile of crap!).

Their stuff is hands down the most comfortable cycling gear I have ever used and that is why I love it. The fact it looks good is a bonus. I've tried a wide range of other brands including other high end stuff like assos and castelli but the rapha stuff is way better.

The prices of your stuff is not much different to theirs either £75 vs £95.

I do like my new shutt jersey and might buy some other stuff. As for colours I think a bit more understated/less garish would be better. Several bold colours in close proximity is never good imho, that's why I bought your summer continental jersey (whose colour scheme i like).

Good luck to you, agree that new british business is great and well done for saving your factory, I will certainly keep an eye out for new stuff in the autumn.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Aguila wrote:

It's funny how everyone belittles rapha as "just being about fashion"..

I'm not sure that's what he said or intended
    Aguila wrote:

£20 is a fair difference (over 25%). If your electricity bill went up 25% and the company defended the change by saying "it's not much different" I'm sure you'd disagree.

I read the post as saying "we're not trying to be another Rapha" which is fair enough and probably sensible too. I only hope that Shutt can continue their ethos of manufacturing in the UK - many started down that route and eventually succumbed. I started up a factory in China (to make British stuff to sell only to the Chinese - pretty unique in that respect) and can see the attraction of the place. We could pay engineering graduates to operate the line less in a year than you'd pay an unqualified UK person in a month.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Aguila wrote:

£20 is a fair difference (over 25%). If your electricity bill went up 25% and the company defended the change by saying "it's not much different" I'm sure you'd disagree.
    It's also a bit disingenuous. £75 (well, 79) is the most expensive SVR jersey whereas £95 is the cheapest rapha one. Have a look at the cost of the Tourmalet one ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Aguila wrote:
    I've spoken to Pete many a time about this, we don't want to be Rapha at all.

Regards,
    matt

It's funny how everyone belittles rapha as "just being about fashion". The reason rapha is my favourite brand by a long way is that it is absolutely beautifully made (btw hand made is only going to be an advantage if the quality is good, I could hand make you a jersey which would be a pile of crap!).

Their stuff is hands down the most comfortable cycling gear I have ever used and that is why I love it. The fact it looks good is a bonus. I've tried a wide range of other brands including other high end stuff like assos and castelli but the rapha stuff is way better.

I do like my new shutt jersey and might buy some other stuff. As for colours I think a bit more understated/less garish would be better. Several bold colours in close proximity is never good imho, that's why I bought your summer continental jersey (whose colour scheme i like).

Good luck to you, agree that new british business is great and well done for saving your factory, I will certainly keep an eye out for new stuff in the autumn.

I didn't mean it to come across as Rapha being all "about the Fashion" they're not but with the decisions they've been making and the products they're launching and speaking to a few of them at the cycle club at the start of summer. I spoke to simon mottram too, and it sounds imo to be going down that route. We'll all have to wait and see!

As for prices, like was said about 79 our most expensive, and raphas cheapest is 95. Generally people aren't so cost orentated anymore, maybe more so in the recession but not as we were in the 80s or 90s.

And for garish... the Tourmalet jersey. Two tones of green, red and white. It doesn't do it for me! But did look better on the 1910 film than in the photos mind.

@mattbeedham
  • Aguila
    JonGinge wrote:
    Aguila wrote:

It's also a bit disingenuous. £75 (well, 79) is the most expensive SVR jersey whereas £95 is the cheapest rapha one. Have a look at the cost of the Tourmalet one ;)

Well I paid £75 for my shutt jersey and was looking at another country one (£95) hence the comparison. I don't have an axe to grind and there is no conspiracy! I dont work for rapha either! I do find it annoying that if you ever say you like rapha stuff you are immediately branded as some fashion victim or "not a propper cyclist".

Price wise, sorry but if you are happy to spend 75 quid on a jersey you'll probably spend 95 if its good enough.

Colours wise yes I agree some of the rapha stuff is odd this year, I also dislike the club jerseys.

Having worn the shutt jersey today I have to say I wish I'd spent the extra 20 quid on a rapha country jersey, it just isn't as good.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Aguila wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Aguila wrote:

Well I paid £75 for my shutt jersey and was looking at another country one (£95) hence the comparison. I don't have an axe to grind and there is no conspiracy! I dont work for rapha either! I do find it annoying that if you ever say you like rapha stuff you are immediately branded as some fashion victim or "not a propper cyclist".

Price wise, sorry but if you are happy to spend 75 quid on a jersey you'll probably spend 95 if its good enough.

Colours wise yes I agree some of the rapha stuff is odd this year, I also dislike the club jerseys.

Having worn the shutt jersey today I have to say I wish I'd spent the extra 20 quid on a rapha country jersey, it just isn't as good.
    Was just pointing out you weren't comparing like with like, that's all.

You pays yer money, you takes your choice. I'm not a rapha fanboi but neither am I a hater. As with every brand I like certain things but not others. 135quid for the tourmalet jersey is just taking the piss a bit
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • As a lady, (ha!) I have to say Shutt have the better scope.

Rapha's ladies' range is frankly a joke, although I do like their winter hat.
  • I have an old pink Rapha jersey. Its one of my favourites.
    I have a Sugoi retro style wool jersey. Its one of my favourites.
    I have an Assos jersey. Its one of my favourites.
    Now I have Shutt on my radar. Are you all trying to drive me over the edge?? :evil:
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    wowsers... I ordered my missus a jersey on Friday, it's arrived this morning! Lets hope it fits/she likes it eh?! :D
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • anton1r wrote:
    wowsers... I ordered my missus a jersey on Friday, it's arrived this morning! Lets hope it fits/she likes it eh?! :D

Why ever wouldn't she?

I saw the brief reviews in cycling active of our stuff, thought the girl modelling it did a very good job! :D

@mattbeedham
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Have to say im impressed with the range and the ethos of the company, its always nice to buy British where you can.

The jerseys look very classy IMO, love the retro kind of cafe racer style they have.

Ive just ordered my first Jersey today and will deffinatly be back for more, probably some bib shorts at some point as well.

Cheers,

James.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Trying. Not. To buy.

I may cave in.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • JD_76
    cjcp wrote:
    Trying. Not. To buy.

I may cave in.

Sale prices as well at the mo.....

Tempted :D
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I've been commuting in my Shutt jersey for a couple of months now and it has performed well in the warm weather and also the cooler mornings of late. I like the fit and the feel of the material. Slightly irritatingly it has developed 3 long runs in the back panel fabric between the neck and the pockets. Doesn't impact on performance or comfort, but they don't look great.
  • JD_76
    Gussio wrote:
    I've been commuting in my Shutt jersey for a couple of months now and it has performed well in the warm weather and also the cooler mornings of late. I like the fit and the feel of the material. Slightly irritatingly it has developed 3 long runs in the back panel fabric between the neck and the pockets. Doesn't impact on performance or comfort, but they don't look great.

Id give them a call, they may be able to repair them, they seem a very customer focused company to me.

http://www.shuttvr.com/customer-care/warranty-product-care/
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Hey all, I've done a review of the Shutt Pro Bib Shorts on my blog if anyone's interested. It's thumbs firmly up :)

http://lanternerogue.wordpress.com/2010 ... ib-shorts/
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    nice review bio - how does the sizing compare just out of interest for jerseys? I think I'd get a small - those who've worn and seen me - it might be tight but nice fit I reckon.

ps - nice puppy, I'm off to see a 3 week old goldie this weekend.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • biondino
    nice review bio - how does the sizing compare just out of interest for jerseys? I think I'd get a small - those who've worn and seen me - it might be tight but nice fit I reckon.

ps - nice puppy, I'm off to see a 3 week old goldie this weekend.

Cute! And thanks. I haven't worn the jerseys (it's the design that doesn't really do it for me, rather than the fit). But the Large shorts are exactly the size I'd want a Large to be, if you see what I mean.
  • JD_76
    Id go with that, being a UK company the sizing will be UK sizing.

If your t-shirts you wear are small go small if medium go medium.

Nice review BTW 8)
  • biondino
    Thanks! It was supposed to be a quick review. I am terrible at self-editing :)

Perhaps Mr Shutt can pop by and let us know about their sizing policy?
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Meant to add to this earlier in the week actually.

I wanted to order a pair of the large pro bibshorts having seen them in the sale, but they'd sold out on the Monday morning (gah!). Put a post up on their Facebook pages to ask when they were getting any more in, to which a quick reply came up saying they'd flown out of the door...hey ho.

Come early afternoon, my iPhone buzzed letting me know another reply had gone up - it was Pete saying they had two pairs in stock...get an order in! Order duly placed for large bibshorts and also a blue-hooped sportive jersey (Team Sky...cough!)...

...it arrived Tuesday morning. Talk about quick!

Haven't worn the shorts 'in anger' yet, but they seem to be of decent quality compared to my Santini Genesis Ones - and certainly a step up from the basic bibshorts (although I think I have the Mk.1 version of those and there's been improvements in the lycra used since then!). Love the jersey.

Am always a little suprised at the lack of Shutt stuff on the Embankment / commute...not sure why, think it's probably because I'm sat here reading of all the London lot that also purchase from Shutt and simply expect to see more people wearing it!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • MonkeyMonster
    If the cms are to be trusted - S is indeed for a small chest - max size of 34inches? Thats gonna be tight - on me anyway I suspect. But I do and can fit "S" t-shirts...
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I went for medium in the jersey and i'm a medium in most things i buy that aren't cycling related, so go for the size you would when on the highstreet I'd say. If it's wrong, just let Shutt know and they'll replace it with no hassle.

(BTW - Miggers (Pete) is on holiday, so won't be responding for a week or so)
    us0.png
  • MonkeyMonster
    I'd do that if this weren't sale stuff and medium is sold out...
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    If the cms are to be trusted - S is indeed for a small chest - max size of 34inches? Thats gonna be tight - on me anyway I suspect. But I do and can fit "S" t-shirts...
    I generally wear S tshirts if I want them to fit me relatively snugly, and most of my cycling jerseys are size S. However, I have a medium Shutt jersey which fits perfectly.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    edited August 2010
    I'd do that if this weren't sale stuff and medium is sold out...

Eat lots of cakes, or eat a lot less cakes? ;)
    us0.png
  • MonkeyMonster
    whyamihere wrote:
    I generally wear S tshirts if I want them to fit me relatively snugly, and most of my cycling jerseys are size S. However, I have a medium Shutt jersey which fits perfectly.

Aye - that's what I was thinking. Cheers waih
  • JD_76
    MM Ill let you know how mine fits when it arives tomorrow or Sat, im a medium all day long and have a 38" chest, the M states it goes up to 37.8" so should be a good snug fit.