Shutt VR - Much Recommended!

FeynmanC
FeynmanC Posts: 649
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
This may come across as a little bit of an advert, but who cares - we rant when companies get it wrong, why not when they get it very right?

I ordered a pair of the standard Shutt VR bibshorts for £29, after seeing several people say how good they were for the money on here, plus I've been following Shutt on twitter for a while and Peter (Mr Shutt) is always friendly and doesnt just try to promote and sell his stuff.

Unfortunately, they ran out of stock after accepting my order but told me they would have new ones in a couple of days. I mentioned it to Peter and in the course of the conversation said that I'd like to try the Pro version next time I ordered, but couldnt afford the £80 at the mo.

I received them this morning and Peter had very kindly sent me the Pro shorts instead - just because he "was feeling generous yesterday" :D

Excellent customer service - treating you like a person rather than a cash source - and they are British!

I would recommend everyone at least check out what they offer, if you are considering getting any more kit in the future (and who isnt?!)

http://www.shuttvr.com

(PS Join their clubroom and get 10% off whatever you buy)
us0.png

Comments

• Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Must admit I'm tempted to try them. I love rapha stuff, mainly because of the properties of sportwool, which I beleive they use too. Not sure they'll be able to beat my rapha bib shorts which are increadibly comfortable.

Firts impressions on the Shutt ones?
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    FeynmanC wrote:
    This may come across as a little bit of an advert, but who cares - we rant when companies get it wrong, why not when they get it very right?

I ordered a pair of the standard Shutt VR bibshorts for £29, after seeing several people say how good they were for the money on here, plus I've been following Shutt on twitter for a while and Peter (Mr Shutt) is always friendly and doesnt just try to promote and sell his stuff.

Unfortunately, they ran out of stock after accepting my order but told me they would have new ones in a couple of days. I mentioned it to Peter and in the course of the conversation said that I'd like to try the Pro version next time I ordered, but couldnt afford the £80 at the mo.

I received them this morning and Peter had very kindly sent me the Pro shorts instead - just because he "was feeling generous yesterday" :D

Excellent customer service - treating you like a person rather than a cash source - and they are British!

I would recommend everyone at least check out what they offer, if you are considering getting any more kit in the future (and who isnt?!)

http://www.shuttvr.com

(PS Join their clubroom and get 10% off whatever you buy)

But are they any good?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Some of them look really classy; but £79 for a jersey! Ouch. Guess I'll stick with the Prendas retro jerseys, as they're half the price.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • FeynmanC
    First impression when taking them out of the package was they were a classy bit of kit. You know that feel of cheap lycra? Well these were nothing like that. I've not got other "expensive" kit to compare against but the gel chamoix looks like it should be much more comfortable than the standard coolmax ones in my old altura/endurea/aldi ones.

I'll let you know how they perform when I get chance to try them out on the bike.
    us0.png
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Do the £29 bibs include a pad?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • FeynmanC
    Asprilla wrote:
    Do the £29 bibs include a pad?

yes, standard coolmax one i think.
    us0.png
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    I have to say ShuttVR transpires of quality.
    I have a jersey and I love it.
    As soon as I can free some funds, some more gear is coming my way!
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I keep getting to the checkout and then abandoning it. I really want to try their stuff, but I've got plenty of summer stuff at the moment.

I am, however, not too small for my winter kit so I'm going to have to replace all of that come Autumn.....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • FeynmanC
    Get the shorts...and some leg or knee warmers from the accessories section? :wink:
    us0.png
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    I like Shutt. The wait for the standard bib shorts (stock problems followed by a courier being useless I understand) was a bit annoying, however they (a pleasant lass called Jessica I think) have just telephoned me to tell me they're sending out the shorts today and as they're likely to arrive tomorrow (Saturday) would I like them sent to my billing (home) address instead of the original address which looks like a work address. My god, shipping being done by an actual human being that thinks about stuff. I am genuinely impressed.

This is not the first thing I've bought from Shutt VR and it certainly wont be the last.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've been using a Sportive jersey on my commute, its great, doesn't smell and keeps me the right temperature in all weather, even managed some 30 degrees Italian touring and 0 degree Alp climbing!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    As far as I can tell from the pics, the Pro bibshorts have a big enough pad to retain your modesty, but the cheap ones don't. As I already own two or three pairs that would be more in place in a fetish movie, I think I'll steer clear of the latter.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Agent57 wrote:
    Some of them look really classy; but £79 for a jersey! Ouch. Guess I'll stick with the Prendas retro jerseys, as they're half the price.

+ 1

Shutt are too expensive, they may be worth the extra money, but I'm not willing to loose £80 in finding out, and I'm perfectly happy with gear costing half the price.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    I have used the Pro Shorts for about 800 miles in the last month and I can assure you they really are excellent. I used some Assos F1's for the same distance/time and although they were cheaper the Shutt ones are the ones I would choose in future (even if they swapped the price tags but don't tell Shutt that!)

I accept people not wanting to spend £79 on a Jersey, fair enough but it doesn't make it too expensive for anyone but yourself. Personally I find cheap stuff a waste of money as it doesn't do as good a job and has to be replaced a lot but that is just my opinon.
  • CyclingBantam
    I have used the Pro Shorts for about 800 miles in the last month and I can assure you they really are excellent. I used some Assos F1's for the same distance/time and although they were cheaper the Shutt ones are the ones I would choose in future (even if they swapped the price tags but don't tell Shutt that!)

I accept people not wanting to spend £79 on a Jersey, fair enough but it doesn't make it too expensive for anyone but yourself. Personally I find cheap stuff a waste of money as it doesn't do as good a job and has to be replaced a lot but that is just my opinon.
  • Agent57
    BenBlyth wrote:
    Personally I find cheap stuff a waste of money as it doesn't do as good a job and has to be replaced a lot but that is just my opinon.

Dunno what you do to your jerseys, but I've got ones that are 10 years old or more, and still going strong. And they were cheap (well £30-£40).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • CyclingBantam
    Agent57 wrote:
    BenBlyth wrote:
    Personally I find cheap stuff a waste of money as it doesn't do as good a job and has to be replaced a lot but that is just my opinon.

Dunno what you do to your jerseys, but I've got ones that are 10 years old or more, and still going strong. And they were cheap (well £30-£40).
    Like I said, each to their own. I find after a couple of years cheap jerseys look tired and freyed. I'm sure yours look like new so you have obviously bought well. I want mine to look smart and feel nice and well made which I am yet to find a cheap jersey that does this. Maybe I'm unlucky. I have a few older ones for my commute which do a job but don't look to smart. Maybe I'm a ponce but I like to look good (in my opinion of course).
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    biondino wrote:
    As far as I can tell from the pics, the Pro bibshorts have a big enough pad to retain your modesty, but the cheap ones don't. As I already own two or three pairs that would be more in place in a fetish movie, I think I'll steer clear of the latter.

This is true, I don't like to wear my cheap 30 quid ones due to this problem, they've being limited to winter use when I cover the shorts up, or to when I wear something under them.
  • miggers
    miggers Posts: 269
    AndyManc wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

+ 1

Shutt are too expensive, they may be worth the extra money, but I'm not willing to loose £80 in finding out, and I'm perfectly happy with gear costing half the price.

Not all our jerseys are that dear... We've clearance products at half price if you want to try one.. You're welcome to pop into the office and try one.. a few people on here already taken us up on that offer... :D

Plus we do offer no quibble exchange and free repairs... We like to think we are good value...

Pete
    Peter Bragg
    www.shuttvr.com
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Agent57 wrote:

It's a different product - both perfectly valid but the Prendas stuff won't cope with being worn more than once without a wash. The Shutt sportswool is rather better in that respect so particularly good for the commute.

On the other hand, my Prendas jersey is a perfect fit but I'm between sizes with Shutt. Simon has promised me a modification based on my Prendas jersey for not much money which I'd say is a standard of service pretty hard to beat anywhere.

Otherwise, try giving the clearance stuff a punt as Pete says - it all looks fine to me; I've seen them at the Shutt top secret underground base above Martinez Wines in Ilkley :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • miggers
    Rolf F wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

It's a different product - both perfectly valid but the Prendas stuff won't cope with being worn more than once without a wash. The Shutt sportswool is rather better in that respect so particularly good for the commute.

On the other hand, my Prendas jersey is a perfect fit but I'm between sizes with Shutt. Simon has promised me a modification based on my Prendas jersey for not much money which I'd say is a standard of service pretty hard to beat anywhere.

Otherwise, try giving the clearance stuff a punt as Pete says - it all looks fine to me; I've seen them at the Shutt top secret underground base above Martinez Wines in Ilkley :lol:

Given your climbing ability Rolf, watch Simon doesn't use lead thread and add a few tungsten weights

Pete
    Peter Bragg
    www.shuttvr.com
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    miggers, is there any plans to revise the design of the cheaper shorts so that it is less revealing at the front?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I wish you people wouldn't make threads like this. It's like dangling a carrot in front of a toothless donkey :(
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    + some more for Shutt. Good quality stuff and excellent customer service in my experience.
  • miggers
    freehub wrote:
    miggers, is there any plans to revise the design of the cheaper shorts so that it is less revealing at the front?
    Hi Will - I know what you mean, grabbed a pair the other day and felt very naked!

The new/current ones are thicker lycra, midway between old SVRs and Pros.

Does anyone on here have a pair of both to offer an opinion? I was too busy packing them this week to try a pair on and not up in Ilkley for a week!

Thanks, Pete
    Peter Bragg
    www.shuttvr.com
  • natcot
    natcot Posts: 26
    edited July 2010
    I received my std shorts during the week and was pleasantly surprised by them. They certainly look more classy than £29 might suggest, the panel stitching is a combination of white and red and looks great. I use these for my commute of an hour-ish each way and after only two days I've come to the conclusion they are superb. Sure you can get better pads, more technical materials, but not at this price point you can't. I reckon they just edge my DHB bibs for quality too. They've been through the wash already without any issues.

As for feeling exposed.......not sure about that, it's lycra, no place to hide! I think the pad is ample.

Oh, and join the clubroom and get another 10% discount. Feels great supporting a british company manufacturing in the UK and at a great price!
  • Agent57
    miggers wrote:
    Not all our jerseys are that dear... We've clearance products at half price if you want to try one.. You're welcome to pop into the office and try one.. a few people on here already taken us up on that offer... :D

Unfortunately, none of the clearance ones appeal or are available in the right sizes for me. But a visit to the office... 52 miles each way from Morecambe; I could try that. The return trip would be a new distance record for me. :D
  • miggers
    Agent57 wrote:
    miggers wrote:

Unfortunately, none of the clearance ones appeal or are available in the right sizes for me. But a visit to the office... 52 miles each way from Morecambe; I could try that. The return trip would be a new distance record for me. :D
    If you like Holdsworth we do their race jersey... Putney and back might be a challenge though ;o)

Pete
    Peter Bragg
    www.shuttvr.com
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Rolf F wrote:
    On the other hand, my Prendas jersey is a perfect fit but I'm between sizes with Shutt. Simon has promised me a modification based on my Prendas jersey for not much money which I'd say is a standard of service pretty hard to beat anywhere

Oh, that's interesting, are you paying extra for that? I've got 3 Shutt jerseys, and, while they're fantastic, I could do with one just a little smaller than the medium.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • FeynmanC
    I went out for a quick 10 miler this evening and can report that i've never worn such comfortable shorts. The cut of the front lycra panels followed the lines of my quads, which felt strange until I got on the bike when it started just feel right. And the pad...oh my goodness how comfortable was it? I cant wait to have the time to put some serious miles in.

Miggers, thank you again for your generosity! Only problem now is that i'll have to get the pro's next time as there is no way i'm going back to the budget options now :evil:
    us0.png