TdF Stage 8 *spoiler*

Comments

• Sgt_Pepper
    Sgt_Pepper Posts: 172
    Evans doesn't look like he'll have an answer if Schleck, and Contador put the preasure on.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    afx237vi wrote:
    So let's have the discussion now - how much does Andy Schleck need on Contador in a 53 km TT?

About half a pint? :wink:
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Schleck has 41" on Contador. Aussie pundits are now hailing Evans as favourite to win!!! :roll:
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    patchy wrote:
    Schleck has 41" on Contador. Aussie pundits are now hailing Evans as favourite to win!!! :roll:

Who's claiming Cadel will win? Name names please. Evans will be doing well to get third.
  • Sgt_Pepper
    Now to go and find a hill and practice my Lance Armstrong. :D
  • patchy
    Phil Anderson; some other bloke whose name I didn't catch.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Well, that finish suggests we might have an interesting Tour.
    Contador not almighty and most of the names still in the mix.

A very ordinary stage, if you take out the historical news.

I agree take away the LA circus and we had what 1km of drama at best, AC looks like he could be attacked and distanced.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • patchy
    Armstrong rolls in 11'45" down.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    patchy wrote:

Who's claiming Cadel will win? Name names please. Evans will be doing well to get third.

He's still the only one who does not need to take time out of Contador, looking at the final TT.
  • SpaceJunk
    patchy wrote:
    Phil Anderson; some other bloke whose name I didn't catch.

Well I'm watching SBS now with Phil, John and Tomalaris, and NONE of them said he'll win. Anderson doubts he has the stamina to go the whole way, Trevorrow said Evans is more suited to Pyrenees, but believes he doesn't have legs for third week.

So stop making crap up.
  • SpaceJunk
    Anderson, Trevorrow are all (rightly) saying Andy is man to beat.
  • Sgt_Pepper
    SpaceJunk wrote:

So stop making crap up.

Don't know why, but it made me laugh.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    The immediate problem may come from Sanchez.
    Tuesday is a unique opportunity for him, but very few others.
    Will be interesting to see BMC try and control the race up the Colombiere and Madeleine. :shock: :oops: :lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • patchy
    Crissakes, calm down man. I'm also watching SBS: I think the fella in the middle said it, pretty much as soon as they cut to them. But hell, I may have misheard. It's pretty late, ey?
  • SpaceJunk
    Fantastic victory salute by Andy.

Any tears from Cadel??
  • SpaceJunk
    patchy wrote:
    Crissakes, calm down man. I'm also watching SBS: I think the fella in the middle said it, pretty much as soon as they cut to them. But hell, I may have misheard. It's pretty late, ey?

Calm down???

I'm on the Ben Cousins diet - had 3 red bulls to get thru this, just about to take my sleeping tablet. Tomorrow's a rest day.

Sorry for any offense - just re-read my post, was a little harsh.

So will Cadel do a repeat of 2008 and celebrate too much on rest day after getting yellow?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Cadel's now had the leaders jerseys for three GTs in a row.

Hats off
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Well, we now know that Lance will not be celebrating in Paris in a couple of weeks time and I prepared to predict that Wiggins will not be in the top 10.

Evans rode a reasonable race. But, having seen Schlek, I think he will be the man to beat - impressive.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Great stage once again. The Tour however is very far from over - the last week is MONSTER. Contador, Cadel and Andy looking the most comfortable. Congratulations on the win for Andy he looked like he was giving it some gas and to beat Samu in a sprint is no mean feat although I think he cramped a little.

Cadel in yellow is good for Contador and likely why he didn't attack. Assuming no significant time differences tomorrow then it could realistically be a week that Cadel's team has to ride.

Astana weak? That was all I was reading and hearing in the lead up and throughout the year. Quite clear however in previous races that they are a top team. Not only do they have great mountain riders, they have a superb cohesiveness and team spirit - very nice to watch.

Navarro was immense.

Not at all surprised with Lance. Hopefully he will now drop out of the Tour completely as it is sickening having to listen to P+P and really annoying having a camera on him all the time - I would MUCH rather they had a camera on the grupetto. So much for Levi saying the Whack Shack has the best mountains team...

On P+P - these two are complete and utter clowns. I didn't realise how bad they were before now as I hardly watch the races with commenatary from them. I understand these two have been commentating for forever so how is it possible that they are so rubbish at picking riders out and commenting on tactics etc.
    From today: Vino goes 50m off the front and Paul starts saying that he is now riding for himself etc. Then on the final climb Phil says he is surprised how fast they are climbing Alpe d'Huez. Then he picks out Basso as Krueziger. Then says Sky are on the front when it is Saxo. And these are just what I can remember. These guys do not earn their salary - it just goes to show how little tv channels care about the sport that these lightweights are there.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Great ride by Andy and Navarro. Van Den Broeck once again showed great form. Wasn't expecting Menchov to hold it either but he managed. And Sastre managed too surprisingly.
    afx237vi wrote:
    So let's have the discussion now - how much time does Andy Schleck need on Contador in a 53 km TT?
    I'd say at least 2 minutes, and this is already accounting for the motivation he will have if he holds yellow by then.
  • frenchfighter
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Care to remind us who started these infantile personal attacks...

I agree with a lot of what you say and from comments it is clear you know what you are talking about. I would ignore the people trying to bait you as they are simply not worth it and come on the forum only to create antagonism. I don't even read their posts as soon as I see who the author is.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    1 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 37:57:09
    2 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:00:20
    3 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 0:01:01
    4 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:01:03
    5 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 0:01:10
    6 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin - Transitions 0:01:11
    7 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas-Doimo 0:01:45
    8 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Team Radioshack 0:02:14
    9 Samuel Sánchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 0:02:15
    10 Michael Rogers (Aus) Team HTC - Columbia 0:02:31
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    Great stage once again. The Tour however is very far from over - the last week is MONSTER. Contador, Cadel and Andy looking the most comfortable. Congratulations on the win for Andy he looked like he was giving it some gas and to beat Samu in a sprint is no mean feat although I think he cramped a little.

Cadel in yellow is good for Contador and likely why he didn't attack.

He didnt attack becuase he was unable too simple as that.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Contador got his team to set a pace to deter attacks, it seems he wasn't on a great day. By riding tempo few could jump away, see Rodriguez.

Schleck looks to have a high level but I suspect he's waiting for the Tourmalet.

Wiggins cracked totally at the end.
  • moray_gub
    edited July 2010
    Not at all surprised with Lance. Hopefully he will now drop out of the Tour completely as it is sickening having to listen to P+P and really annoying having a camera on him all the time - I would MUCH rather they had a camera on the grupetto.

Irrespective of your views on LA his demise was one of the big stories of the stage and obviously thats why he got camera attention. No big deal happens all the time with other riders.
  • moray_gub
    Kléber wrote:
    Contador got his team to set a pace to deter attacks, it seems he wasn't on a great day. By riding tempo few could jump away, see Rodriguez.
    d.

I though AC looked like he was struggling 5k from the end Navvarro was superb for him today , i think if the others had attacked hin they could have blown this Tour wide open. Hopefully they will do that on Tues.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    edited July 2010

Cadel in yellow is good for Contador and likely why he didn't attack. Assuming no significant time differences tomorrow then it could realistically be a week that Cadel's team has to ride.

Astana weak? That was all I was reading and hearing in the lead up and throughout the year. Quite clear however in previous races that they are a top team. Not only do they have great mountain riders, they have a superb cohesiveness and team spirit - very nice to watch.

Navarro was immense.

Rest day tomorrow !!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Armstrong was unlucky, to crash right before the Ramaz. Riding with raw skin then chasing hard for 10 minutes uphill, only to make contact at the start of the col. No wonder he blew up.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

Not at all surprised with Lance. Hopefully he will now drop out of the Tour completely as it is sickening having to listen to P+P and really annoying having a camera on him all the time - I would MUCH rather they had a camera on the grupetto. So much for Levi saying the Whack Shack has the best mountains team...

On P+P - these two are complete and utter clowns. I didn't realise how bad they were before now as I hardly watch the races with commenatary from them. I understand these two have been commentating for forever so how is it possible that they are so rubbish at picking riders out and commenting on tactics etc.
    From today: Vino goes 50m off the front and Paul starts saying that he is now riding for himself etc. Then on the final climb Phil says he is surprised how fast they are climbing Alpe d'Huez. Then he picks out Basso as Krueziger. Then says Sky are on the front when it is Saxo. And these are just what I can remember. These guys do not earn their salary - it just goes to show how little tv channels care about the sport that these lightweights are there.

Oh come on now. Tell us how you really feel.
  • frenchfighter
    Good spot - meant Tuesday.
    Contador is the Greatest