TdF Stage 8 *spoiler*

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Yep Wiggins said he just wasn't good enough today. Worrying - but honest and he's still there or thereabouts.

Armstrong said re his crash that he clipped a pedal and then rolled a tub off the wheel and hit the deck at 60km'h. For all of those who want him to drop out, apparently he's looking forward to being a good team-mate now.

And it isn't surprising he gets a lot of screen coverage - he is a 7 times winner! Whatever you think of him personally, a LOT of people will want to see him - whether it is going out the back or staying up...
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    edited July 2010
    Having done a bit of racing in my time I think it is no coincidence that he managed to get involved in two crashes today. In the past he tended to keep kept near to the front and so avoided all the problems that happen further down the field - it's the first rule of racing. Today it looked like he was trying to hide in the wheels, and paid the price.
    +1 IME physical and mental pressure = crash prone
    Exactly. Thinking back, those occasions when I hit the deck were almost always in events that I was already grovelling in. The concentration flags, you ride just a bit too close in order to get a bit more shelter and so on. When you are strong you have plenty in reserve and so can always place yourself in the best and safest position.
  • BikingBernie
    edited July 2010
    pat1cp wrote:
    Enjoying someone's bad day ain't good IMO.
    Well, in racing the only person having a 'good' day is the winner, and I am sure that they don't let the thought of all those who have had a 'bad day' by virtue of being beaten spoil their enjoyment of their victory...

Surely, you wouldn't try to argue that, in times past, Armstrong didn't relish 'being the hammer' rather than 'the nail', as he put it recently?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Comments from Andy and Riis

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schleck ... gs-to-come

Lets see what happens when he attacks from 5-10km out. Attacking final km is a lot different type of effort.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Today was very good for the race. The Tour can now cease being a media driven Armstrong vs Contador thing and return to being a race with multiple challengers. Contador didn't look as impressive as usual, Andy Schleck was good but you can see the lack of Frank is going to hurt him.

Menchov (massive danger) is there abouts and had good support. Radioshack have Levi up there and lets not forget he knows how to race a grand tour. Liquigas have 2 up there and the fantastic Cadel Evans leading. He might not be as easy to shift as people think.

There is a danger Armstrong could go into "anyone but Contador" mode. That could make things gnarly, especially has he'd like to hire Andy for the Shack next year.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    iainf72 wrote:
    There is a danger Armstrong could go into "anyone but Contador" mode. That could make things gnarly, especially has he'd like to hire Andy for the Shack next year.

Haven't the schlecks already announced their riding for the new Luxembourg team that is entirely theres?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • iainf72
    jibberjim wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Haven't the schlecks already announced their riding for the new Luxembourg team that is entirely theres?

Nope. They've said they have 4 options. One of them is RS.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    iainf72 wrote:

LA was in that 'mode' last year as well... didn't stop Contador from winning then! :wink:

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • BikingBernie
    mroli wrote:
    Armstrong said re his crash that he clipped a pedal and then rolled a tub off the wheel and hit the deck at 60km'h. For all of those who want him to drop out, apparently he's looking forward to being a good team-mate now.
    Given his selfless 'support' of Contador last year, his team mates much really be relishing that particular prospect. More like he will expect everyone on the team to set him up for a stage win...
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    haha - what a great stage.. Radio-kack completely blown to bits.. Made my day.. Especially this morning when Lance tweeted
    Surprise Doping Control this morning

It made me laugh thinking "aren't they all meant to be a surprise?" I guess Lance is used to being fore-warned about those type of ones.. I guess not this year..
    cartoon.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Doobz wrote:
    haha - what a great stage.. Radio-kack completely blown to bits.. Made my day.. Especially this morning when Lance tweeted

It made me laugh thinking "aren't they all meant to be a surprise?" I guess Lance is used to being fore-warned about those type of ones.. I guess not this year..

The tests where you've won the stage or are wearing yellow aren't a surprise.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Doobz
    RichN95 wrote:
    Doobz wrote:

The tests where you've won the stage or are wearing yellow aren't a surprise.

e2a: well he aint gonna be getting tested this year unless its a surprise then eh? :wink:
    cartoon.jpg
  • BikingBernie
    More support for the 'Armstrong was already cooked' theory...

"I didn’t expect him to have such a bad day," said race director Christian Prudhomme. "We all remember stage to Gap in 2003 when he even went across a field and didn’t fall. To fall twice in a stage today is a lot.

"We also know he struggles in heat, and that a lot of the riders are very tired tonight, after some very humid stages….

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstro ... -collapses
  • Doobz
    More support for the 'Armstrong was already cooked' theory...

"I didn’t expect him to have such a bad day," said race director Christian Prudhomme. "We all remember stage to Gap in 2003 when he even went across a field and didn’t fall. To fall twice in a stage today is a lot.

"We also know he struggles in heat, and that a lot of the riders are very tired tonight, after some very humid stages….

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstro ... -collapses

I think what he is trying to say is "No Dope.... No Hope" -

I am still really surprised to see how bad RS were today.. The look on Janez's face was weird. He looked ashamed to me.. Maybe thats just his climbing face tho :roll:
    cartoon.jpg
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    Doobz wrote:
    I am still really surprised to see how bad RS were today.. The look on Janez's face was weird. He looked ashamed to me.. Maybe thats just his climbing face tho :roll:

He was probably trying to remember why he left Astana. :D
  • BikingBernie
    Prophetic words from Armstrong... :wink:

The Tour de France classification will be re-shaped in today's stage to Morzine-Avoriaz, according to seven-time winner Lance Armstrong.

"The key is La Ramaz, which is the climb before Morzine. It is very difficult, there are patches with eight, nine, 10 per cent," explained Armstrong. "There will be selection, it won't be like today

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... trong.html
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

The Tour de France classification will be re-shaped in today's stage to Morzine-Avoriaz, according to seven-time winner Lance Armstrong.

"The key is La Ramaz, which is the climb before Morzine. It is very difficult, there are patches with eight, nine, 10 per cent," explained Armstrong. "There will be selection, it won't be like today

AMazing how you just like to come out to twist the knife. Never anything interesting to say about cycling or riders - just this constant hatred of Armstrong.

Now that he's out of the race, will you be going away again and leaving this section in peace?
  • BikingBernie
    edited July 2010
    Pokerface wrote:
    Now that he's out of the race, will you be going away again and leaving this section in peace?
    Nah, baiting deluded Pharmstrong fanboys is just too much fun. :wink:

Also I think that Armstrong deserves to 'have the knife twisted', a little, especially given the way that he said that the 2008 Tour was a 'joke' and that he would 'kick ass' when he made his comeback.

As to never having anything interesting to say about cycling, I think I was the only one on here arguing that today's stage would see a major sorting out of the classification, largely because of the difficulty of the Ramaz. Lance and I obviously see some things the same way.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    mroli wrote:
    Armstrong said re his crash that he clipped a pedal and then rolled a tub off the wheel and hit the deck at 60km'h.

I think that the crash must have given him memory loss. The crash at the roundabout looked to be his fastest and even there he looked to be going 30kph tops. Excellent stage today though and I am pleased the tour is not panning out as we expected. Great for the sport.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:
    Nah, baiting deluded Pharmstrong fanboys is just too much fun. :wink:

I'm not a fanboy.

But aren't there better forums out there for that?
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    It'd be good craik on the hill with the cloggies tonight !! 8)
  • Pokerface
    BenBlyth wrote:
    I am pleased the tour is not panning out as we expected. Great for the sport.

That is very true. So far it doesn't look for certain that anyone WILL win it but rather that several people COULD win it.

Perhaps there is still a Giro-like twist waiting in the wings that will rip things up.

Andy looked strong, Bertie looked like he could be beaten and Cadel managed to keep up. Menchov quietly waiting in the wings for someone to make a mistake.

Interesting days ahead.....
  • BikingBernie
    Pokerface wrote:
    Interesting days ahead.....
    Not least because it's a rest day tomorrow. Going by Armstrong's blood profile from last year he should be due a 'top up' tomorrow. Let's see if it makes any difference this year. :wink:
  • iainf72
    Basso saying he was bricking it about this stage but feels the form is going to be tip top for week 3.

http://www.feltet.dk/index.php?id_paren ... yhed=26934
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Maybe we'd all under-estimated how much the long hot days of racing in the previous days had taken out of them, I know I did. I fully expected today to be fairly mundane with a breakaway for the stage victory and no real GC contention decided.

I wonder if Schleck wished he'd tested Contador a little earlier now, he clearly was struggling right at the end. I think Menchov is a good shout, he's still in the mix whilst barely getting himself noticed.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Pokerface wrote:

AMazing how you just like to come out to twist the knife. Never anything interesting to say about cycling or riders - just this constant hatred of Armstrong.

+1..... Got to agree with you on this one. 30 years(I hope) from now when I'm on my deathbed and my last request is to log on to BR Forum one last time, I'm betting that I'll still see BB ranting about LA, along with his, now famous, chart. Or was it a graph?
  • I love that graph ! Bring on the graph !
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    life closing in from all sides as far as LA is concerned...

surprised he has managed to hold it together at all.. the pressure he is under...
    He keeps telling everyone that it is such pressure that motivates him...

Having done a bit of racing in my time I think it is no coincidence that he managed to get involved in two crashes today. In the past he tended to keep kept near to the front and so avoided all the problems that happen further down the field - it's the first rule of racing. Today it looked like he was trying to hide in the wheels, and paid the price.

+1 IME physical and mental pressure = crash prone

Nope. It's that he's older. One of the biggest losses as you get older? Reaction time. And he's not training that. So even though his fitness is great (possibly as good as '05), his reastion times are much slower and that's why he's crashed a lot the past two years.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Maybe we'd all under-estimated how much the long hot days of racing in the previous days had taken out of them, I know I did. I fully expected today to be fairly mundane with a breakaway for the stage victory and no real GC contention decided.

I wonder if Schleck wished he'd tested Contador a little earlier now, he clearly was struggling right at the end. I think Menchov is a good shout, he's still in the mix whilst barely getting himself noticed.

Apparently, the team didn't want him to:
    Given the gap that he opened in less than a kilometre, Schleck was asked whether he regretted not attacking earlier. "No, not at all," he said.

"We had a plan, and I had to follow it. I didn't want to change it during the stage. Maybe it was possible to take the yellow jersey today but I want to have it in Paris, so I want to take it step by step.