TdF Stage 8 *spoiler*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Fairly major crash that Jermone Pineau appeared one of the worst effected. Came down hard. One rider over the bars. Sorenson over the verge.
Another involved was..........Cadel Evans.
A nothing piece of road.

Popovych pulling a Cancellara, trying to neutralise an attack.
BMC and Shack clearly involved.
Back in the cars with Pineau.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    I love the text questions - the Rhigos one of the toughest climbs in the UK! Itls not even the toughest on the Dragon :lol: Good to see that clever man Harmon agree with a recent thread on here recently though where I said it was the closest to an alpine climb in the UK :wink: Carlton suggested the max a British climb would make is 2nd cat, I doubt many would even make 3rd so not sure what would be a 2nd in the UK.
  • blazing_saddles
    Ay, the Rhigos indeed.
    Race radio reports Menchov and Garate lost in France.
    Peloton in 2 groups and guess which one Dennis is in?
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Reckon bealach na ba would be cat 1. Only 620m of ascent but seriously steep. Great dun fell would be cat 2.

Anyone know if a major bike race has been up bealach na ba? Haven't done it myself but imagine it's too narrow (and in the middle of nowhere).
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Hardknott Pass must warrant a cat 2 even if it is less than 2 miles long.

Also, what category is the Portet D'Aspet from the side where the Casartelli memorial is? That's exactly as hard as Whinlatter Pass. The two are very similar in all respects.

Shap Fell might make a cat 3, it is nearly 10km long at a steady 4/5%
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • blazing_saddles
    Cadel is hurting. The doc is checking out his arm, but not for cuts........
    Road rash on the hip, too.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    I love the text questions - the Rhigos one of the toughest climbs in the UK! Itls not even the toughest on the Dragon :lol: Good to see that clever man Harmon agree with a recent thread on here recently though where I said it was the closest to an alpine climb in the UK :wink: Carlton suggested the max a British climb would make is 2nd cat, I doubt many would even make 3rd so not sure what would be a 2nd in the UK.

The Rhigos and Bwlch match up quite well with the cat 3's we had on yesterday's stage, and the Bwlch isn't too far off the first cat 2 from yesterday.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I guess you'd never take a bike race up there and it is too short - but the Long Mynd is bloody hard work.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    The Snake Pass would be a Cat 2, it's about 8% for a few k's
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    PROFILKMS.gif

well if that's a cat 2 then just about all the steep nasty stuff on the fred is as well
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • disgruntledgoat
    In his ride around the route of the Fred for the Comic about 10 years ago, Robert Millar said it was as hard as a Tour mountain stage. Though he may just have been trying to make Lakes Road Club feel better.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mididoctors
    In his ride around the route of the Fred for the Comic about 10 years ago, Robert Millar said it was as hard as a Tour mountain stage. Though he may just have been trying to make Lakes Road Club feel better.

we have both A-B'd those climbs

the steep stuff in the lakes blows the top of my head off and leaves my legs feeling like they have been tenderized by a battalion of men with hammers.. I couldn't focus my eyes properly for days the last time I rode fred "lite" route a fortnight ago

the alps leaves me with blurred vision heat stroke and profound fatigue ... different sort of suffering...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • disgruntledgoat

we have both A-B'd those climbs

the steep stuff in the lakes blows the top of my head off and leaves my legs feeling like they have been tenderized by a battalion of men with hammers.. I couldn't focus my eyes properly for days the last time I rode fred "lite" route a fortnight ago

the alps leaves me with blurred vision heat stroke and profound fatigue ... different sort of suffering...

A-B'd?

I went out over whinlatter this morning. Thought about Honister but couldn't face it in the rain and a gale with carbon rims for the descent!

@gietvangent
  • mididoctors

A-B'd?

compared them in your mind
  • mididoctors
    looking at the GC...

Bertie is a good position to attack gain 30 secs or so and still leave the jersey as someone Else's responsibility
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Ramaz is a brute, harder than Joux Plane IMO, though the category doesn't reflect this. And the descent down towards Les Gets is very steep. I fancy we'll see the big hitters watching each other up Ramaz, hopefully with some fireworks on the way up to Avoriaz.

:D:D
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Sean Kelly is talking about washing his arse. Fascinating stuff.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • disgruntledgoat
    The load of bollocks bracelet being roundly derided by Harmon. Have that.

Still not read my e mail about our dog being named after Freire either...

@gietvangent
  • blazing_saddles
    The heat and constant Eurosport ad breaks are having an effect on my will to watch.......
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Why the F**k is Carlton Kirby getting a gig on Eurosport ? If he's a cycling guru then am a feckin dutchman.....never heard so much shoite since duffields ramblings about cheese and wine. Kelly must be sitting their thinking this guy is a complete tool.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Still not read my e mail about our dog being named after Freire either...

Nor mine about my vietnamese pot-bellied pig being called Bruyneel. :(

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • disgruntledgoat
    The heat and constant Eurosport ad breaks are having an effect on my will to watch.......

Its certainly effecting my will to buy a Renault or to visit India. Not in the way those responsible would wish either...

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat
    edited July 2010
    Quit ripping on Savoir cooking Kirby you knob. Some of the best meals I've ever had have been in that area.

@gietvangent
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Call that to my face hardman
  • blazing_saddles
    Laurent Fignon is around and commentating on France 2, today. I was watching him earlier.
    His voice is still rough, though.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Could someone tell me what the main character says to the taxi driver in the Incredible India ad?
  • disgruntledgoat
    csp wrote:
    Could someone tell me what the main character says to the taxi driver in the Incredible India ad?

"Busy night then?"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I like Rabobank's handlebar tape today
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    Armstrong crash! All Shack.........
    How many times has LA crashed since his comeback? More times than the entire number of crashes pre-comeback?! He hardly ever used to crash.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Armstrong down. Looks fairly mundane. 3 guys pacing him back through the cars.

Complicating factor is the bunch starting to pick up prior to the climb.

@gietvangent