WSJ Part 2

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:
    Great summary

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4892/ ... ation.aspx

He's starting to sound like a man under pressure.

"I've done a lot of good for people" - Yeah, well so did Bernie Madoff son.

he does sound quite shaken for once....I still don't believe he didn't think through the consequences of not keeping Landis happy..
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2010
    iainf72 wrote:

The e-mail exchanges in full. I've got to hand it to Floyd, he's a sarky so and so.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/verbruggen-labels-landis-a-nuisance
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    RichN95 wrote:

:D:D:D That is funny! The old man blinked first.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Floyd's responses are brilliant.

HV is a fricking odious character.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    :D

I hope I live to see this heartwarming event:

"I'd also like to congratulate you on being the first person ever to have lived 69 years without ever having told a lie (being fundamentally dishonest with other people). For that you deserve a yellow jersey for honesty and I'd like to be the one to present it to you"
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Thanks again Floyd Landis Yellow Jersey Wearer: Nuisance Category

Nearly spat my drink all over the puter!!
    cartoon.jpg
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Time to pipe up.

Not seen comments like that from LA - ever.

Things are moving very rapidly indeed.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Doobz wrote:
    Thanks again Floyd Landis Yellow Jersey Wearer: Nuisance Category

Nearly spat my drink all over the puter!!

I've never had a signature line on my posts. Now I do.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    The thing with Armstrong is he says things before they're public.

So "people are only interested in blood, sex and drugs" is put out publicly 3 days before a coke and hookers story.

He's flustered though, fo' sure.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Obviously Verbruggen's memory is as poor as his chum Armstrong - he must have forgotten about the 11/2 million paid by the Japanese to get the Keirin in the Olympics - let alone the round the world all expenses paid trip that Verbruggen enjoyed. No gifts eh, Hein?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Dave_1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Great summary

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4892/ ... ation.aspx

He's starting to sound like a man under pressure.

"I've done a lot of good for people" - Yeah, well so did Bernie Madoff son.

he does sound quite shaken for once....I still don't believe he didn't think through the consequences of not keeping Landis happy..

O.K. It's me again. Realizing of course that I'm an idiot and don't follow cycling like some think I should, I have a stupid question. Exactly what was LA supposed to do, that he didn't do, to keep FL happy? Give him money? What?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    My favourite bit is how Verbruggen is the one who starts the exchange, but after a few verbal slapdowns from Floyd ends up going "you're not worthy of any more comment from me."

It's eerily familiar...
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Landis/Verbruggen emails are funny, but on the other stuff, it suddenly doesn't feel like opening pawn moves, feels like check mate could be only a few moves away.

The sudden severance (contradicting testimony) of any link with US Postal is very telling.
    And "I've done too many good things for too many people," :shock: And separating his actions from influence on others....Jaysus.

Think he's already been advised of the tactics for the least worse scenario.And that looks bad.

Ullrich suddenly looks like a tactical genius.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    dennisn wrote:
    O.K. It's me again. Realizing of course that I'm an idiot and don't follow cycling like some think I should, I have a stupid question. Exactly what was LA supposed to do, that he didn't do, to keep FL happy? Give him money? What?
    Not pouring his blood bag down the sink during the Tour might have been a good start. :lol:
  • ratsbeyfus
    dennisn wrote:
    Not pouring his blood bag down the sink during the Tour might have been a good start. :lol:

Yeah, that was a bit mean... not to mention a little unhygenic.

@ratsbey
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    edited July 2010
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

The e-mail exchanges in full. I've got to hand it to Floyd, he's a sarky so and so.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vebruggen-labels-landis-a-nuisance

BB, did you archive this? I think it's been pulled...

edit.. Whoops
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/verbrug ... a-nuisance
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

Care to expand on that???? It was a serious question, not a troll.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Didn't Landis' agent/doctor/someone suggest that Landis could ride on RS?
  • tomb8555 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vebruggen-labels-landis-a-nuisance
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/verbrug ... a-nuisance

BB, did you archive this? I think it's been pulled...

Cycling news were missing an 'r' in Verburggen so corrected the url - you should be able to access from:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/verbruggen-labels-landis-a-nuisance
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:

You really pay not attention to the allegations yet comment on them all the time. Odd.

Lance and Johan got annoyed at Landis after he didn't take it easy on a stage of the 04 Tour as requested. So they poured his top up bag of blood down the drain. Allegedly.
  • ratsbeyfus
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

During Landis' last tour alongside Armstrong they fell out ('coz Landis had the nerve to break out and sign for Phonak)... as a bit of pay-back LA is supposed to have got hold of a stored bag of FL's blood, and after a particularly difficult stage, poured it down the sink in front of FL. << This, of course, may be BS / misremembered, but it's all in the 'Lance Hater's' bible 'From Lance to Landis' which, I imagine, is being updated for a new edition as we speak.

@ratsbey
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Good to see Landis's e-mails for the first time (for me anyway).

I always liked his style :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    If you haven't followed up on the link below before now, then you seriously haven't been paying attention...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/landis ... ssage.html
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    Well this is damning, isn't it?

After my posts on the Subpoena (sp?) thread, I feel let down.

Let down by someone that really got me into cycling and someone I wanted to believe in but it looks like he's played people for fools.

Of course it may all be crap but it's piling up and the latest revelations and LA's replies sound like a man on the ropes.

Cheers, you f*&Cking lying barsteward.
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

You really pay not attention to the allegations yet comment on them all the time. Odd.

Lance and Johan got annoyed at Landis after he didn't take it easy on a stage of the 04 Tour as requested. So they poured his top up bag of blood down the drain. Allegedly.

It was just a question. Nothing more. That's what this is ALL about? A bag of blood
    6 years ago? Now that's what I call carrying a grudge. :roll: :roll:
    These guys are going to fill their lives with lawyers over a bag of blood?
    Ya can't see it but, if what you say is the reason, then my eyes are rolling too.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I think it's about more than one blood bag. Step away from that one alleged incident and the bigger story of a team operating like Festina is a significant deal, just as other investigations have exposed other teams. But this tale is potentially bigger given it involves the media personality that is Armstrong and also because it is raising questions about the sport's governing body and its ability to administrate, govern and oversee the sport.
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:
    These guys are going to fill their lives with lawyers over a bag of blood?

No. They're not. And you know they're not so try not pretend it's some kind of petty thing. That bag of blood is irrelevant.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Kléber wrote:
    I think it's about more than one blood bag. Step away from that one alleged incident and the bigger story of a team operating like Festina is a significant deal, just as other investigations have exposed other teams. But this tale is potentially bigger given it involves the media personality that is Armstrong and also because it is raising questions about the sport's governing body and its ability to administrate, govern and oversee the sport.

That and misppropriating public money.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    [Dennis] H*ll, who hasn't misappropriated public money at some point? These guys are just like you and me. You should sit down for a beer with them, sometime.[/Dennis]
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Coyle: If there’s anybody he watches closer than his rivals, it’s his teammates. Especially since Armstrong is part-owner of Tailwind Sports, the for-profit company that manages the team—he is literally paying their salaries.
    That is a quite a contrast to:
    “It wasn’t my company,” Armstrong said. “I can’t make it clear enough to you. I don’t know. I didn’t know the company. I didn’t have a position. I didn’t have an equity stake. I didn’t have a profit stake. I didn’t have a seat on the board. I was a rider on the team. I can’t be any clearer than that.”
    specially since Coyle was living in Girona for a year and got close enough to the team to the point that Michele Ferrari was giving the biographer coaching advice.

Does it matter? Well the race is on but at the same time, when a federal investigation on, making misleading statements in public is not going to help your defence. It was hot on the stage, maybe he's suffering and getting a bit giddy?