Do you mind being overtaken?

124»

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's when you just ride into them! Agree about riding right behind people though, it's no fun at all. I can only assume it's people who want to pretend they're racing, but aren't quick enough to actually do well at a race!

I used to ride with a chap who had a penchant for just manualling into you, putting his front wheel on your back! That was wonderfully distracting! Very funny to watch him do it though!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    njee20 wrote:

I used to ride with a chap who had a penchant for just manualling into you, putting his front wheel on your back! That was wonderfully distracting! Very funny to watch him do it though!

Used to ride with a fella who buzzed your back tyre all the time he thought it was hilarious. We used to put up with it because he had a van. Till the time he did it one time too many to my mate who proceeded to go absolutely mental on the van driving tits front wheel. Its amazingly funny watching someone jump up and down on an expensive mountain bike wheel. :lol:

For some reason the tit stopped riding with us.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    stubs wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

Used to ride with a fella who buzzed your back tyre all the time he thought it was hilarious. We used to put up with it because he had a van. Till the time he did it one time too many to my mate who proceeded to go absolutely mental on the van driving tits front wheel. Its amazingly funny watching someone jump up and down on an expensive mountain bike wheel. :lol:

For some reason the tit stopped riding with us.

the bike equivolent of tail-gating eh ?
    pretty dangerous in the wrong place , just asking for a d-locking IMO.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    If I'm stopped for a breather and some folk pass I'll wait a bit longer just in case I do manage to catch them up.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • I WAS overttaken by an aston martin on my way to a favorite ride, which wasnt too bad...

i certainly didnt mind...

Sounds impressive as well...
    Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I WAS overttaken by an aston martin on my way to a favorite
    Martyn Ashton passed me once.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    :lol:
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • T1berious
    T1berious Posts: 438
    I don't mind being over taken and generally pull over and on those occasions someone has pulled over for me to pass a "Cheers, another one right behind me" always passes my lips.

However a complete c**k at Cannock a few weeks back pretty much pushed past my partner and left her in the scrub.

Thankfully that sort are very rare on the trails.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I dont mind people following me but I dont want them right on my rear wheel, I hate riding that close to some one as you cant see the trail ahead in any case so I dont get why anyone would want to do it to me esp on tight singletrack.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Anonymous
    I love it when you have a group of mates all riding right on each other's wheels down a trail, kinda like a rollercoaster train!
  • couldn't give a hoot
    I like bike, bike is bike.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    At the end of the day if the other rider is better than you why not ? it's better than holding him up and being called a nob cheese at the bottom...we don't need vanity in mountain biking thanks !
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • i dont know. sometimes i think soo, depends on where, with who...
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    .blitz wrote:
    I couldn't give a toss either way TBH. Somebody, somewhere is always going to be better/ faster/ stronger.
    ^^ this

Someone with a clicky hub caught me up last night on The Dog. I was just about to ease off and let them past when there was a screech of brakes behind me, a scrabble of rubber and rubble and then it all went quiet :twisted:

So what your saying is mate.

You really hate being over take :p and your ride like a quality duel boy and mash anyone who dares approache with a manic laugh.. :p
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I love it when you have a group of mates all riding right on each other's wheels down a trail, kinda like a rollercoaster train!

Yes, very different when it's friends, good way to push yourself!
  • Bikehawk
    Bikehawk Posts: 102
    Generally not bothered and will let faster riders through. Prefer to let them go than have them try a crazy overtake and take us both out. Have on occassion meet them again as they pick themselves out of the local scenery. If they are ok will have a little chuckle to my self.
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:

I don't mean pushing each other, generally more of a kind of dogfighting, sticking together kind of thing.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    njee20 wrote:

I don't mean pushing each other, generally more of a kind of dogfighting, sticking together kind of thing.

Thats great fun, epecially when you suddenly find your two wide and coming up to a very narrow bit of trail :lol:
  • n.battison
    n.battison Posts: 57
    I dont really like it when people over take me, i always think in my head of an excuse why they are better than me, better bike etc.

But i can only remember being over taken once which was at Cannock chase by 2 men and a woman who looked like a pro to me (she was by far the quickest) all on £5000 pound superbikes.

I kept up with them down the next bit of trail and one of them was pushing too hard and fell off infront of me which made me which made me happy while helping him and his bike up.
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • bivvy
    bivvy Posts: 23
    I overtook a group at the Marin Trail recently on a slight hill. I went by so fast it was funny, I have to say it made me feel good! Then I caught up with the person in the front of their group who was a girl!! Poor guys. My mate behind who is not as fit as me said he flew past em too, he said it must have been soul destroying. I did not think it was that bad.

Bad back now myself so may loose some fitness. Hope it heals up soon or I could be same.

After doing many miles recently(on road / bike path) I was knackered. A girl overtook me. I could see she was going flat out. So I caught her up and overtook back. She smiled, it was cute / fun really.

Some guy flew past me a few months ago on the trans pennine trial but he was like going real fast all I could do was get back up to him after about 5 mins going flat out. I had the cheek to ring the bell lol, on a canal tow path. He looked pissed off and let me by. It felt a bit like top gun where the two pilots met eye to eye. I then went one way and he took another route. When we joined up again he was in front! I was so knackered then that I just gave up lol. I actually felt glad for the route diversions we took, as as otherwise he would have overtook me back. I saved face this way. But at least I showed him I could catch up! Quite a built guy with no
    fat on him. Would not want to be on his wrong side I guess.
  • Dubzy
    Dubzy Posts: 123
    FFS what a pointless question.

Why not follow this up with:

* Do you mind someone having a bigger helmet than you?
    * Is my bike faster than yours?
    * Is my Dad/Mother harder than yours?

Very fast, large helmeted with hard as nails Mother Dubzy
    Life's good

Boardman MTB Team
  • Anonymous
    I don't really care that much, but I do tend to go faster if someone is behind me
  • Anonymous
    Dubzy wrote:
    FFS what a pointless question.

Why not follow this up with:

* Do you mind someone having a bigger helmet than you?
    * Is my bike faster than yours?
    * Is my Dad/Mother harder than yours?

Very fast, large helmeted with hard as nails Mother Dubzy

What helmet type are we talking about here?