Do you mind being overtaken?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I just shout at people all the time. I hide in the bushes then jump out at them, screaming.
    People round here call me "the crazy man".
    I'm not angry I'm just "not right", or so they say.
  • Greig M
    Greig M Posts: 86
    lawman wrote:
    i rarely get overtaken downhill or singletrack, quote]

Who tries to overtake on singletrack :shock:
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    I'm over fifty, and ride a folding bike, so being overtaken is a) common and b) no big deal. I only object when people pass in a manner dangerous to me, or other road/cycleway users.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I don't mind being overtaken as such, but if i am, i take it as a bit of a challenge and try to keep up!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    If I minded being overtaken I'd be permanently p*ssed off. Not worth the aggravation, I'll get faster in my own time.
  • terryowen
    terryowen Posts: 139
    ive never been overtaken by anyone on a mountain bike,but plenty on a road bike,dosent bother me at all,just makes me try and keep up with them,no chance lol.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Doesn't bother, but TBH it doesn't seem to happen very often- I seem to pass more often than be passed.

Bugs the hell outta me when people don't move over though. I don't like being followed by randoms when I know they're quicker- makes me make silly mistakes so I'd always pull over.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • CycloRos wrote:
    I find it rather funny when someone makes a real effort to overtake me only to pull up at traffic lights just up ahead. I mean, what's the point in that?
    it wasn't you I overtook this morning was it? :lol:

Ha. It was you?! Damn you! :o I was cycling home from work the other night along university boulevard when I must have caught up with a load of riders from Beeston Roadie Club. I was hanging on the back of their peloton and managed to overtake most of them which was very satisfying.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Who tries to overtake on singletrack

I must say, if I come up behind someone considerably slower, I'll politely ask if I can come through. Not a fan of the kamikaze 'I'll get through or we'll both go down' overtaking manoeuvres though!
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    njee20 wrote:
    Who tries to overtake on singletrack

I must say, if I come up behind someone considerably slower, I'll politely ask if I can come through. Not a fan of the kamikaze 'I'll get through or we'll both go down' overtaking manoeuvres though!

on singletrack you should wait for a safe passing place rather than expect the guy in front to stop or slow down which he is not obliged to do IMO.

and i doubt he'll hear any polite requests whilst in full flight.
  • dont get over taken really but if i do good on them they are quicker than me so fair play!

people should always move over but as soon as its safe is fine IMO
  • Doesn't bother me in the slightest! I like having someone to follow...
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • fine female forms are a great incentive I find.

I find it a great incentive to stay right behind em. :D
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun
  • I'm not particularly fit or fast and I only took up mountain biking a couple of months ago so being overtaken is par for the course really. That said, I'm getting a bit fitter and faster and managing to overtake other people occasionally myself now and I've started to feel a bit more bothered when people overtake me and use it as a bit of an incentive to speed up and try harder...
    Small fat weak punter
  • Duggan13
    Duggan13 Posts: 75
    I've only recently started mtbing so not arsed in the slightest, but have never ridden a trail centre so it's not much of a problem on my local trails anyway.

When I'm out running though I must admit I'm reluctant to overtake other joggers/runners as I always worry they must think I'm being a smug c**t but I really don't mean it like that!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The only time I get peeved is when people wait til you ride off then follow you and want past- obviously they just do it because it makes them feel awesome to overtake you but it's just cockery really. The rest of the time, I pass people, people pass me, just as long as it's all done in a sensible and safe way it's cool.

On the other hand, when I'm chasing someone and they let me through I hate it, I can generally keep up but that doesn't mean I can go that fast without someone to chase! And I get so selfconscious when someone's behind me too. Never ends well.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    On the other hand, when I'm chasing someone and they let me through I hate it, I can generally keep up but that doesn't mean I can go that fast without someone to chase! And I get so selfconscious when someone's behind me too. Never ends well.

And you wonder why I keep wrecking my bike :wink:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Northwind wrote:
    The only time I get peeved is when people wait til you ride off then follow you and want past- obviously they just do it because it makes them feel awesome to overtake you but it's just cockery really.

I have noticed myself that when I am at a trail centre there will be a crowd of people at the top of a downward section. My mates and I will make our way through the mob and set off down, next thing they are all following us crowding our back wheels. Its happened quite a few times it never ocurred to me that they were waiting for someone to overtake.

Bunch of nobs.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    Just make sure you're faster than them, easy!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    stubs wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    The only time I get peeved is when people wait til you ride off then follow you and want past- obviously they just do it because it makes them feel awesome to overtake you but it's just cockery really.

I have noticed myself that when I am at a trail centre there will be a crowd of people at the top of a downward section. My mates and I will make our way through the mob and set off down, next thing they are all following us crowding our back wheels. Its happened quite a few times it never ocurred to me that they were waiting for someone to overtake.

Bunch of nobs.

I was cycling at Swinley yesterday - out for a couple of hours blast on my tod, I dont stop just giver the whole way round, passed a group having a chat on the path and ducked into the next bit of singletrack only to find that they had set off obviously with the intention of catching me, I was near the end of my ride so running on tired legs, tried to go as fast as I could but found the noises behind me so close to be so off putting I bailed out of the trail at the first chance - why ride so close on such narrow singletrack? Just to prove a poin or what?!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • njee20
    Yes, as above, it's because they're nobs.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    Can't say I've ever experienced any one who deliberately sets off with the intention of catching and overtaking. May be they thought you looked really quick and could teach them a thing or two?

Anyhoo, had a very close call yesterday at Sherwood when some fool was walking down one of the DH tracks! Slowing down or overtaking fellow riders I don't mind but folks walking down a clearly signposted DH run!? come on!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Northwind
    CycloRos wrote:
    May be they thought you looked really quick and could teach them a thing or two?

That does not strike me as particularily likely :lol: I look like the 2-legged embodiment of ATGNI
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    njee20 wrote:

Or maybe they just happen to set off at the same time.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    bails87 wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

That's exactly what i was thinking.

Although, if somebody sets of in front of me and i think i might be quicker i tend to wait for a little so i don't end up tailing them. I do enjoy trying to keep up with people that are quicker than me and it is quite satisfying if i can :D
  • Northwind
    bails87 wrote:

Nah, it's very obvious when you see it. People scrabbling to get ready when they were just standing around chatting when your mates rode through frinstance. Pretty unmistakable. Course, not everyone who waits til you leave then chases after you is doing this, sometimes they're just a bit daft and not leaving sensible gaps.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bails87
    Northwind wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Nah, it's very obvious when you see it. People scrabbling to get ready when they were just standing around chatting when your mates rode through frinstance. Pretty unmistakable. Course, not everyone who waits til you leave then chases after you is doing this, sometimes they're just a bit daft and not leaving sensible gaps.

Fair enough, I've never noticed it though. I've accidentally done it to other people. Where I'll stop for a breather at the end of a section, and then kind of forget to start again for a couple of minutes until someone rides past and wakes me up :lol: So I end up suddenly bursting back into life and following them into the next section and keeping up. If anyone's done something like that to me, then I've just assumed they've done what I do. :lol:
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    :wink:
    MTB/CX

• njee20
    As above, if someone starts a descent in front of me, and I was just standing around, I'd wait a bit and start, on the off chance I'm quicker it'll at least take longer to catch them!
  • Northwind
    njee20 wrote:
    As above, if someone starts a descent in front of me, and I was just standing around, I'd wait a bit and start, on the off chance I'm quicker it'll at least take longer to catch them!

Yup, exactly. Though some people lack that foresight, which is why people come on here and complain about crowded trail centres ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bails87
    njee20 wrote:

Ah yes, I don't sit on anyone's back wheel or pressure them, if I want to get past I'll wait til I know we're approaching a safe spot to pull over and ask if I can get past.

I was just saying there's a chance it's a lack of foresight, as Northwind said, instead of any malice. Hanging off someone's back wheel is frustrating, I odn't see why you'd choose to do it :? If I want to 'chase' someone I'll do it, but from a distance, so I'll try to keep a few seconds behind, and if I don't lose sight of someone then I'm happy! I wouldn't catch up and pressure anyone though.

What really bugs me is riders listening to music, so they can't hear you when you're shouting "HELLO....EXCUSE MEEEEEE" at them because you want to get past
    MTB/CX