Do you mind being overtaken?

CycloRos
CycloRos Posts: 579
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Just wondering what peoples feelings are on being overtaken?

Being the super fit mountain bike / all-round cycling god that I am :wink: it doesn't happen very often but when it does I can genuinely say it doesn't bother me! Unlike the guy this morning who was most miffed and called me a tw*t during my normal everyday commute.

I've also come across it out on the trail too, some folks really don't like it and will do their damnedest to get in the way and even stop and grumble.

Personally when someone goes flying past I use it as either a) a kick up the a*s to push myself more or b) carry on in my own little world. Never do I feel the need to scream out expletives or any such other f'tard behaviour.
Current Rides -
Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
Pics!

Comments

• anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    If I'm going up hill I'm not bothered at all. If I'm going down hill it spurs me on to attack more and try be a bit faster.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,238
    I couldn't give a toss either way TBH. Somebody, somewhere is always going to be better/ faster/ stronger.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I don't mind being overtaken in as much as I wouldn't call someone a tw*t (twit?) for going past me. But at the same time, I thing most people are a little competitive, so if someone goes past me I'll normally try to keep up.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I couldn't give a toss either way TBH. Somebody, somewhere is always going to be better/ faster/ stronger.
    ^^ this

Someone with a clicky hub caught me up last night on The Dog. I was just about to ease off and let them past when there was a screech of brakes behind me, a scrabble of rubber and rubble and then it all went quiet :twisted:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I get overtaken by stationary objects I am that slow.

Doesn't bother me unless they sneer at me, in which case I'll say sorry for holding you up mate, I only have 3 months to live...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:

Doesn't bother me unless they sneer at me, in which case I'll say sorry for holding you up mate, I only have 3 months to live...
    Sationary in which sense? If they're stationary in space, then that's quite understandable.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Passed all the time on the way up, never passed on the way down :lol::lol::lol:
  • monkeylizard
    monkeylizard Posts: 155
    I hate being overtaken. It's embarrassing, demoralising and a sign of weakness (mental, physical and technical).

Time and time again I've told my six year old son to stop doing it, but he just won't bloody listen.

:D
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i rarely get overtaken downhill or singletrack, i make a point of trying to ovetake as many people as possible, if im catching them then im clearly quicker and it makes them feel bad, especially if they have the worlds best unobtanium super light, super travel, mega bike, and i wizz past on my battered maxlight :lol:

as for uphill, depends how fit im feeling on the day, but most of the time im the one doing the overtaking, unless its some xc whippet, although seems most folks here are fat old farts :wink:
  • Chronicbint
    Chronicbint Posts: 172
    Dont care, ride at my own pace and enjoy myself. 8)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868

this as well, but my pace is quick :wink:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Doesn't bother me in the least, but at risk of sounding vastly up myself I can't remember the last time it happened!

I do really enjoy overtaking people I must admit, particularly when they see an 'XC rider' coming and set off infront of you, it's quite a regular occurrence!

I see no point in getting stressed by it mind, as above there's always someone quicker! Unless you're Nino Schurter!
  • Chronicbint
    Chronicbint Posts: 172
    lawman wrote:

this as well, but my pace is quick :wink:

I am a fairly slow n00b so the only people I am going to pass are people with punctures. :lol:
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    edited July 2010
    Doesn't bother me at all, as long as they do it when there is room to do so and a polite call of "on your left/right" goes down well.

I've only every had a problem when I was racing and got stuck behind someone slower, so I stopped pedalling to slow down and wait for a suitable passing place. The freewheel on my hub is pretty loud (Hope pro 3) and the guy in front got really arsey when I overtook saying "you could have said 'excuse me' and not just made a f*cking racket!" - not much I can do about that!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    If they are polite and wait for a good opportunity to do so, I'm cool with it.

If, like the a$$hole a few weeks ago, they sit on my rear through a 1/2 mile of impassable singletrack, then fcuk 'em!
  • Anonymous
    I hardly ever go underneath 172 mph, so being passed is rare.
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    I get a little upset when I get overtaken by my own bike going downhill, normally arse over tit or sliding on my face.

As for other people, I am well aware of my own fitness levels and generally don't care.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    It doesn't both me - good job too as I get overtaken quite a lot :lol:

I did actually manage to overtake two chaps last weekend (oooh - a first for me!) and the latter I kept on saying 'excuse me' increasingly loudly until I was almost on top of him and no choice but to go up and over some rocks to get past. Was a bit miffed why he had been ignoring my polite requests, but at that point I realised that he was an older gentleman and he clearly just hadn't heard me :?

Ah well, back to being overtaken then.... I'm better at that :wink:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • mikee1979
    mikee1979 Posts: 151
    Does'nt bother me really, but I admit I do like overtaking when I'm cycling to work.

I kind of find it amusing when someone overtakes me as I keep thinking, I wonder if he is loving the fact he's just scalped me.
  • mikee1979
    mikee1979 Posts: 151
    Does'nt bother me really, but I admit I do like overtaking when I'm cycling to work.

I kind of find it amusing when someone overtakes me as I keep thinking, I wonder if he is loving the fact he's just scalped me.
  • Anonymous
    Boy Lard wrote:
    I get a little upset when I get overtaken by my own bike going downhill, normally ars* over tit or sliding on my face.

As for other people, I am well aware of my own fitness levels and generally don't care.
    What I find more unsettling is when I get overtaken by my own bike, going uphill, whilst I'm sliding uphill on my backside. Particularly when I can clearly see myself riding my own bike past me.

Usually only happens after I've stopped off for something to eat though, and realised I've forgotten to pack any mars bars, so I decide to eat the local flora and fauna instead.
  • I find it rather funny when someone makes a real effort to overtake me only to pull up at traffic lights just up ahead. I mean, what's the point in that?
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    I really hate being overtaken on the way to work and over the last 2yrs I'd say no one has. What makes me feel good about this is not the fact I've over taken anyone, but the fact I do so much cycling and compete in events I can see my fitness has got better and my times on Sportypal have gone down.

If someone did pass me I would be quite cross with myself for not trying hard enough, but I certainly WOULD NOT be rude to them or have an issue with them.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    I find it rather funny when someone makes a real effort to overtake me only to pull up at traffic lights just up ahead. I mean, what's the point in that?
    it wasn't you I overtook this morning was it? :lol:

my commuter is a single speed mtb 32/16 so my top speed is rather limited, may be it's the shame of it that makes some folks react badly when I overtake.

oh and any one that answered "No, it NEVER happens (I'm a riding god!)", I can almost guarantee you'll be "Yes, I'm the most important thing on the trail and will shout at you" when it does happen, and it will !!!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    I couldn't care less if someone overtook me but it has only happened twice re lack of other riders. The one time a mtb rider overtook me I stopped to say you were flying then, he groaned back and said yeah literally. He didn't seem in much pain so I carried on :)
    The other time I was climbing a hill and a lady jogger came past me, I couldn't catch her up either. That WAS a LOL moment.
    If I knew someone was behind I would actually pull over.
  • Anonymous
    doesnt bother me at all. which is lucky really.

mind you, i like riding my bike, but it isnt important to me in the slightest. if i sold them all tomorrow i wouldnt feel like i was missing something by them not being there, id find other ways to occupy my time.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    supersonic wrote:

Pens, pencils, notebooks and the like?

Usually if someone flys past me..I try to keep up with them...

its a pleasure following someone fast down a trail....that there is a learning opportunity. following thier lines...noticing how they move around the bike...trying some of it out to see if it makes a difference...

Its stealing skill from them...and in my opinion...the best way to get better at riding.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Staple guns lol.

Is a old Red Dwarf joke.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I love chasing someone and overtaking them, but at the same time, will ALWAYS let someone faster past me - there's just no point risking a ridiculously expensive and avoidable crash for a bit of misplaced pride.........
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    I got overtaken by a very attractive lady on a big horse on a steep bridleway the other day. She could see I was struggling and made it trot to catch me up. So I stopped for a drink and pretended I hadn't seen her :oops:

It didn't work as she stopped for a chat and I could see her trying not to laugh. Anyway, following her bum (the rider's not the horse's) was a good incentive to increase speed when she moved on 8)
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10