Do you mind being overtaken?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    fine female forms are a great incentive I find.
  • Happy Harry, directions to this bridlepath please... ;-)
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    Up hill I'm competative with friends (other riders I'm not bothered about). I'll try to keep up with the fastest but the guys with the spd's and lighter bikes always seem to get to the tops first.
    Down hill the lighter bikes have to make way :twisted: but again, I'm not usually the fastest. Too many painfull reminders to stay within my safe limits to go mad these days.
    I begrudge no one passing me on the trail. I'll pull over if I know there is a faster rider behind me, although I only remember having to do this once mid section, for possibly the fastest scotsman in the world up Winlatter last November, he was rapid.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I let go faster riders to pass me, and I don't try to keep up with them anymore, because I usually crash then and at the bottom it's better to get there by 1min delay than a 5min one.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i like overtaking roadies on the mtb on the commute to work, they sweat away and you just sail past them looking fresh as a daisy :lol:
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    edited July 2010
    On the uphill, not really bothered - although it does give me some motivation to pedal harder. :lol:

On the downhill, yes. But it barely ever happends as no one rides my local trails... :
  • nahh not fussed tbh....

I ride in my fitness/comfort zones which are slowly increasing the more I ride... if someone wants to get past then i'll let them through at the earliest and safest place where I dont have to completely stop to let them past :)
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    Happy Harry, directions to this bridlepath please... ;-)
    ST955370 :wink:
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • I let people overtake me all the time (uphill) - I'd rather not have somebody getting frustrated behind me, so I get out of the way! I feel pressurised if I know there is someone faster behind me.

When I catch up with slower people in front of me, I'd rather stop and give them a head start than hassle them to get out of the way.

Some people are just aggro in whatever they do!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I overtook a skinny racy looking guy on a not particulary steep but long climb a few weeks back. I was just congratulating myself I must be getting fitter, when I looked down and realised he was singlespeed and pulling a gear I would struggle riding on the flat into a wind.:cry:

Depends who I am going to try and overtake or be overtaken by. If its my mates then its war and anything short of death is allowed in the rules.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I am so used to being overtaken that I get worried when I am forced to overtake a slower rider!
    I am in it for the joy of riding, if I wanted to prove my manliness by riding my bike I'd paint my crossbar pink and glue hair to it where the crossbar meats the seatpost
  • if its somebody all dressed up in tight clothing with a super expensive carbon bike or something like that i make a point to pass them and show them that you dont need a good bike to be a good rider. now if its someone who is inexperienced and having a hard time i'll stop and wait for them to get far enough ahead of me or wait until a fork in the trail/ any wider place to pass them. i feel bad for people who are who are out there giving an effort and having a hard time and making them pull over to the side of the trail so i can pass them is like a kick in thier balls and is quite demoralising for them. how would you feel if you kept getting passed? its quite discouraging. as for when i get passed, it doesnt bother me much at all. everybody rides at a different pace and you have to respect that. im not so full of myself that i want to throw off somebodys ride by not letting them pass because i dont want to believe somebodys better than me.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    depends how much competitive mode has kicked in.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    I'll let overtakes go on uphill, however downhill i hate being overtaken by strangers and if someone comes right up behind i'll just crank up the speed and see whether i can hold them off until i either give up or bottle it. Like them times though when i push on and you have a look back and that rider isn't up your arse any more however that time will come where i've completely cocked up and the said rider will either ride past laughing or scrape me off a tree :lol:
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    if its a new trail that im unfamiliar with then then im not really fussed. if its a local trail then ive stoped for a wet or my chains broke and in that case ill catch back up when im sorted. :lol:
  • I was overtaken on a steep uphill the other day by a guy on a road bike who couldn't have been a day under 70. I was inspired!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I dont get overtaken that often - I honestly dont see that many riders on my local routes. I guess you guys ride trail centres a lot if you are getting that much traffic. I let people pass me at the busy spots (Swinley) if I need to but it doesnt happen much.

I'm that good. :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    It makes me hurry up a little, but I've got more important things to worry about.

I've seen plenty of people get upset when my wife overtakes them, strangely all of them where men.
  • Anonymous
    GHill wrote:
    It makes me hurry up a little, but I've got more important things to worry about.

I've seen plenty of people get upset when my wife overtakes them, strangely all of them where men.
    All your wives have been men?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    All your wives have been men?

:lol:

It's a strange harem, but a harem all the same.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    On roads or trails it isn't a problem, on a track racing it is unbearale even when it is just mates on the improv BMX track, but that's kind of the point of a race 8)
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I sort of know my limits downhill so if someone tonks past I am not going to risk an afternoon in a&e trying to keep with them. This has actually happened a couple of times and, coming around the next corner I find them in a bush anyway.

I try to stick with roadies on road sections - and will make myself puke on the uphills if there is danger of competition....
  • Anonymous
    Mccraque wrote:
    I try to stick with roadies on road sections - and will make myself puke on the uphills if there is danger of competition....
    Sounds like you're suffering from bulemia, and delusional behaviour :lol:
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Nah, I'm fat and slow.

I rush to and from work, I rush round the supermarket, I rush to the bog... I'm not going to rush through the countryside air on a sunny morning.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Red Route
    Red Route Posts: 59
    I don't mind, I'll usualy let people past asap as I hate feeling pressured to go faster than I feel comfortable doing!
    Prefer natural trails as this does'nt usualy happen as they are generaly wider & you get less Cocks bombing round on time trials.
    Also prefer to take in the scenery.
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    lawman wrote:
    i rarely get overtaken downhill or singletrack, i make a point of trying to ovetake as many people as possible, if im catching them then im clearly quicker and it makes them feel bad, especially if they have the worlds best unobtanium super light, super travel, mega bike, and i wizz past on my battered maxlight :lol:

as for uphill, depends how fit im feeling on the day, but most of the time im the one doing the overtaking, unless its some xc whippet, although seems most folks here are fat old farts :wink:

i like to ride nice and slow, because i have a nice bike, and by riding slow and letting people catch me up it allows them to look at my nice bike....however, if i rode that piece of crap you do i'd want to ride past people as quickly as possible too.... :D
  • hyperman wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    i rarely get overtaken downhill or singletrack, i make a point of trying to ovetake as many people as possible, if im catching them then im clearly quicker and it makes them feel bad, especially if they have the worlds best unobtanium super light, super travel, mega bike, and i wizz past on my battered maxlight :lol:

as for uphill, depends how fit im feeling on the day, but most of the time im the one doing the overtaking, unless its some xc whippet, although seems most folks here are fat old farts :wink:

i like to ride nice and slow, because i have a nice bike, and by riding slow and letting people catch me up it allows them to look at my nice bike....however, if i rode that piece of crap you do i'd want to ride past people as quickly as possible too.... :D

:lol: Lawman do u wear a Full Face Helmet ?

I ride within my limits, I,m fast on the uphills and and fast on the down hills too !
    I dont need to prove anything to anybody so if u want to be the fastest man on the hill crack on ! it doesent bother me in the slightest :roll:
  • Laurence25
    Laurence25 Posts: 334
    Ok I have to admit I get a tad miffed and always try 2 catch up BUT I would never shout or even get angry at someone coz there batter then me ! and I am in no way what so ever a riding god but I very rarely get overtaken :)
  • Most guys that overtake me at trail centres look like converted roadies that ain't ever ate a greasy bacon butty (nut cutlet warriors :D ) or drank 10 pints in their lives.

As long as you ain't fatter than me I don't mind. 8)
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Only when I'm actually in a race 8)
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!