TdF Stage 3 *spoiler*

1101112131416»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Where was Flecha for Wiggins?!

After the intial splits happened, after Frank's crash, Sky did most of the chasing to get Wiggins, Contador et al back to the Armstrong group. Flecha was one of them. I fact I think he was the main one.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Thanks Rich. Wasn't able to watch it live.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

Just like Cadel in the Giro when he chased like a demon, Contador went all out like a Champion.

New keyboard again for FF.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    I think it's fair to say all the contenders went all out yesterday, I can't think that anyone would be able to just sit in and hold wheels in those groups on that surface at those speeds. Seems a touch churlish to argue that some efforts were more valid than others.

+1

Loads of riders were special yesterday take LA i thought his ride affter his flat was pretty special he could have lots huge chunks of time there.
  • frenchfighter
    I think the Whack Shack needs to change its tire sponsor. Apparently Lance, Levi and Kloden all flatted.

Hincappie apparently was right by Cadel but flatted when the move went. Makes sense to explain why he wasn't with him. The time difference would likely have been more had he been there and helped to pull.

A bit excessive for the few cobbles maybe....
    http://twitpic.com/22w43s
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Moray Gub wrote:
    I think it's fair to say all the contenders went all out yesterday, I can't think that anyone would be able to just sit in and hold wheels in those groups on that surface at those speeds. Seems a touch churlish to argue that some efforts were more valid than others.

+1

Loads of riders were special yesterday take LA i thought his ride affter his flat was pretty special he could have lots huge chunks of time there.

likewise, I think LA showed strongly on st 3 and would maybe have gained time on AC without punctures. I suspect he will be not so far from his best TDF form in the mountains and certainly enough to handle Evans, and stay close to AC and Schleck. Top 3 is still possible...and the regulars here will be happy I'm sure :D
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    edited July 2010
    Dave_1 wrote:
    likewise, I think LA showed strongly on st 3 and would maybe have gained time on AC without punctures.

Not convinced he would - he missed the split and had formed a group of about 8 riders behind the Cancellara, Schleck, Thomas, Hushovd and Evans group. The Wiggins/Contador group chased hard and caught up with this Armstrong group just a few seconds before Armstrong got his puncture on that cobbled section. From that merged group of maybe 30, 7 riders broke and stayed away in pursuit of Cancellara et al:

Van Summeren, Wiggins, Van Den Broeck, Vinokourov, Menchov, Roche, Contador

there is no way Lance would have soloed out of that to catch the front group so he'd have been alongside those seven. And if we discount Lance's puncture we have to discount Contador's dodgy back wheel. So level on time at best for the stage.
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:
    likewise, I think LA showed strongly on st 3 and would maybe have gained time on AC without punctures.

Not convinced he would - he missed the split and had formed a group of about 8 riders behind the Cancellara group with Schleck, Thomas, Hushovd and Evans. The Wiggins/Contador group chased hard and caught up with this Armstrong group just a few seconds before Armstrong got his puncture on that cobbled section. From that merged group of maybe 30, 7 riders broke and stayed away in pursuit of Cancellara et al:

Van Summeren, Wiggins, Van Den Broeck, Vinokourov, Menchov, Roche, Contador

there is no way Lance would have soloed out of that to catch the front group so he'd have been alongside those seven. And if we discount Lance's puncture we have to discount Contador's dodgy back wheel. So level on time at best for the stage.

I don't believe Contador had a dodgy wheel for 30km, only at the end, ...LA looked good, IMO.
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    I hope that yesterdays stage promotes a bit more interest in Paris-Roubaix and the other classics from those that maybe think cycling is just the TdF! Hopefully the excitement and style of racing yesterday will turn more people on to it who didn't know it existed before!
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I don't believe Contador had a dodgy wheel for 30km, only at the end, ...LA looked good, IMO.

Not saying he didn't look good, just saying I struggle to see how he'd have made time on Contador without that puncture. At best he'd have been with Bertie, Wiggins, Vino et al in that small group.

And on the wheel, Nicholas Roache said he was riding behind Contador in the group and could see he had a buckled rear wheel for at least the last two cobbled sections.
  • dave_1
    Neil McC wrote:
    I hope that yesterdays stage promotes a bit more interest in Paris-Roubaix and the other classics from those that maybe think cycling is just the TdF! Hopefully the excitement and style of racing yesterday will turn more people on to it who didn't know it existed before!

Evans is capable of winning Paris Roubaix..Lemond 4th in 1985 PR, Fignon 3rd in 1988 PR-the last TDF winner to even start the race in my opinion, let alone come near to winning. 20 years of disrespect for PR and ongoing. Sprinters are no more suited to PR than the top GT guys. I used to argue with Andyp, Monty Dog that TDF was better...but the TDF contenders neglect of PR for past 20 years is an absolute disgrace!
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    edited July 2010
    Sastre Getting owned
    sastre-cae-2.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Neil McC wrote:

Evans is capable of winning Paris Roubaix..Lemond 4th in 1985 PR, Fignon 3rd in 1988 PR-the last TDF winner to even start the race in my opinion, let alone come near to winning. 20 years of disrespect for PR and ongoing. Sprinters are no more suited to PR than the top GT guys. I used to argue with Andyp, Monty Dog that TDF was better...but the TDF contenders neglect of PR for past 20 years is an absolute disgrace!

Slight confusion sorry! Though I agree with your point too, I was thinking more of people watching on TV!

However, as I said, I also agree with you and hopefully a few more top riders who didn't think they'd ride it will have a go at P-R too!
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

Not saying he didn't look good, just saying I struggle to see how he'd have made time on Contador without that puncture. At best he'd have been with Bertie, Wiggins, Vino et al in that small group.

And on the wheel, Nicholas Roache said he was riding behind Contador in the group and could see he had a buckled rear wheel for at least the last two cobbled sections.

LA used the brake rubbing excuse in 2003 at Alpe D'huez. How would he know he had this prob 30km out yesterday...it means he was suffering 30km out, the rest,...who knows?
  • dave_1
    Neil McC wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Neil McC wrote:

Slight confusion sorry! Though I agree with your point too, I was thinking more of people watching on TV!

However, as I said, I also agree with you and hopefully a few more top riders who didn't think they'd ride it will have a go at P-R too!

I am very happy they added a Paris Roubaix element as it shows the top TDF GC guys are quite able to contend at PR but are too overpaid and lazy to peak for it.
  • moray_gub
    Dave_1 wrote:

Seems strange then he had 20k to set up a quick wheel change in the last 10k after the cobble section, if the car is beside you it can be 10 secs for a change or new bike .
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Seems strange then he had 20k to set up a quick wheel change in the last 10k after the cobble section, if the car is beside you it can be 10 secs for a change or new bike .

Depends where the car was, doesn't it? If LA can go from being 30 seconds ahead, to 1 minute behind just because of a flat tyre, why risk it? It was a chaotic situation.
  • dave_1
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

I don't buy Roche's account either..how in those conditions can you spot that buckle? Must have been a hell of a buckle! Top riders make excuses. I'd half whatever AC's report of the extent/duration of the prob was at the very least
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I don't buy Roche's account either..how in those conditions can you spot that buckle? Must have been a hell of a buckle! Top riders make excuses. I'd half whatever AC's report of the extent/duration of the prob was at the very least

That's like me saying I don't believe Armstrong punctured and he just pretended to get a break and not look foolish when he got dropped from the group.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

That's like me saying I don't believe Armstrong punctured and he just pretended to get a break and not look foolish when he got dropped from the group.

Seems to me that the anti-anti-Lance brigade aren't exactly averse to the same type of idle speculation that they're usually so critical of.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I am very happy they added a Paris Roubaix element as it shows the top TDF GC guys are quite able to contend at PR but are too overpaid and lazy to peak for it.

The GC guys could contend PR, but by and large, there's someone in their team who is better at it.

Who would you pick in a PR dream team

Schleck or Cancellara
    Evans or Hincapie
    Wiggins or Flecha
    Sastre or Hushovd
    Cunego or Ballan
    Karpets or Pozzato
    Basso or Quinziato
    etc, etc

There's no point wasting your overpaid GC rider as back up or domestique
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dave_1
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

But ACs prob was near the finish, 2km to go :) focusing on a back wheel that close for long enough to see a minor buckle like Roche says he did...lol..would be dangerous for Roche's concentration and if it was so obvious AC would have felt it. The brakes are calibrated close to the wheel.
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Seems to me that the anti-anti-Lance brigade aren't exactly averse to the same type of idle speculation that they're usually so critical of.

speaking on behalf ot the anti anti anti anti lance brigade :wink: can you imagine the furore if LA had come out with this ? i am not saying i dont belive him i just thinks its quite strange that he didnt set up a wheel change when he the best part of an hour to do so.especially when you consider he may have been really stuck if the wheel gave altogether during a cobbled section
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:
    Depends where the car was, doesn't it? If LA can go from being 30 seconds ahead, to 1 minute behind just because of a flat tyre, why risk it? It was a chaotic situation.

But he had an hour to set it up
  • afx237vi
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

But he had an hour to set it up

The last two sections according to Eurosport, so what, 15-20 minutes? He could still pedal and hold on to the wheels, so he obviously thought it wasn't worth it. It's not that big a deal at the end of the day. He lost the 20 seconds. I don't hear him whinging about it.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Doobz wrote:
    Sastre Getting owned
    sastre-cae-2.jpg

Looks like Gesink falling full on his already fractured arm - ouch
  • frenchfighter
    In case any of you still think for some reason that Vinokourov is not riding for Contador.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4802/ ... tador.aspx

Vino is a quality rider and I hope he gets a stage win and a high GC placing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    In case any of you still think for some reason that Vinokourov is not riding for Contador.

Well, if it was on the Internet it MUST be true.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    dennisn wrote:

more to the point if Vino says it - it must be true! :roll:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    camerone wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

more to the point if Vino says it - it must be true! :roll:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: