south wales Rides?

Comments

• Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    Hard ride up the moors today, it was ok on the top, but the road up there was wet and hard going.

The new dh couse is fast, scarey as poo :lol: the made all the drop off bigger.

But the bike did well, just wish i had bigger brakes on that couse :lol:

Bike saved me off a off just up by the freeride, but then again I would not of been going so fast on the old thing :P

Whos out tueday and where we going BM?
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Brechfa?

Staying over near New Quay & fancy getting some good biking in before I head home...
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Welsh_Tom wrote:
    Hard ride up the moors today, it was ok on the top, but the road up there was wet and hard going.

The new dh couse is fast, scarey as poo :lol: the made all the drop off bigger.

But the bike did well, just wish i had bigger brakes on that couse :lol:

Bike saved me off a off just up by the freeride, but then again I would not of been going so fast on the old thing :P

Whos out tueday and where we going BM?

i had so many crashes when i first got my new bike, cos my bike was better than me and i just wanted to go fast!!! :lol:

i may be out tomorrow, depends what happens about the redundancy!!! :?
  • Silversladey
    Silversladey Posts: 450
    Is the new section at CC officially open, got a few hours spare this morning only going up CC if its all open, If not going to ride the Tracy Mosely Blaenavon route.

Kev,

Best of luck with work must be real stressful hope it all pans out ok for you.
  • Silversladey
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Brechfa?

Staying over near New Quay & fancy getting some good biking in before I head home...

If you have got the time try and get to Cwm Rhaeadr short but sweet best trail i have ever ridden :D

Brechfais awesome all three routes are worth riding I love the final section on the Red Gorlech, and the Black is a bit crazy. Dont discount the Blue/Green it is brilliant.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Had a wicked day at FOD yesterday, playing on the area's of sheepskull and finally cleared the double on the new tripple jump on Corkscrew :D proper chuffed it was messing up my speed into all the other jumps :P

And what Silver says? CC opened up all over yet peeps?
  • forbez
    forbez Posts: 62
    Welsh_Tom wrote:
    Forbez. I think ian said about 10.30 but was planning on doing the moors then down cwm. What car do you drive btw? Kev can you make 10.30

I've got a Blue Ibiza Cupra mk3.

My Bikeradar status is : Riding a Giant Yukon FX2
  • Welsh_Tom
    No cc is not open, we have all just been jumping the fence.

Kev hope things work out ok for you dude.

Come on guys whee we going tomorrow :lol:
  • Silversladey
    edited July 2011
    Afan Monster Cancelled

But the

Forest Of Dean Enduro is still taking entries, me and itsmygame and will be doing 4 laps :D
  • Bit of advice on Afan if anyone would be so kind.

Am riding Afan is a few weeks.
    The trails are mostly rated Red and to me all look fine. With W2 a notable exception being referred to as severe. How severe is Severe?

Are all these trails rideable for a well experienced rider on a decent hardtail bike or is W2 only really rideable by a DH pro with a huge travel FS?
    I'm confident i can handle whatever there is in Afan on my modest hardtail but there are a few in the group, albeit with expensive bikes, that only have two months biking under there helmet and big drops, continuous rock gardens or near vertical slopes will make them cry.
    Thanks.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Silversladey
    Bit of advice on Afan if anyone would be so kind.

Am riding Afan is a few weeks.
    The trails are mostly rated Red and to me all look fine. With W2 a notable exception being referred to as severe. How severe is Severe?

Are all these trails rideable for a well experienced rider on a decent hardtail bike or is W2 only really rideable by a DH pro with a huge travel FS?
    I'm confident i can handle whatever there is in Afan on my modest hardtail but there are a few in the group, albeit with expensive bikes, that only have two months biking under there helmet and big drops, continuous rock gardens or near vertical slopes will make them cry.
    Thanks.

Have you ridden Cwmcarn, as nothing at Afan is any more difficult. The black rating for W2 is more to do with the distance of the trail rather than technical difficulty.

A hardtail will be fine enjoy.
  • Stanners79
    Stanners79 Posts: 81
    I ride afan on a hardtail all the time and it's more than rideable. The only section I would perhaps give a miss is the black section at the top of the whites climb (it is optional) as it gets a bit hairy at the end - i did it when I was fairly new and haven't done it since.
    Orange P7 2007
    MOTM on first appearance 10/4/11
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Bout to say, I find Afan rediculous easy in comparison to most.

There exceedingly manicured trails which to be honest i do find a bit dull, main thing to watch for at the moment is ifyou get wet eather, the repairs to the trail seem to have been made with really really fine builders sand and it eats brakes, gears and slides right past seals on bearings :)
  • Silversladey
    The sand along with all the diversions has been enough to put me off going at the moment
  • Cheers folks.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • welshkev
    [

Have you ridden Cwmcarn, as nothing at Afan is any more difficult. The black rating for W2 is more to do with the distance of the trail rather than technical difficulty.

A hardtail will be fine enjoy.

yeah IIRC aren't the wall and whites rated as red and w2 black purely cos of the distance?

and sladey, i was looking at doing 2 laps, i'll hopefully enter on payday if i don't get laid off :D
  • ianm59
    ianm59 Posts: 168
    W2 is graded as black purely because of the distance. It is Whites and The wall done together. Have a great time. I enjoy Afan.
  • ianm59
    ianm59 Posts: 168
    Does anyone fancy W2 on Sunday?
    On a different note, who is doing the FoD enduro and how many laps.
  • Pr][nCe
    Pr][nCe Posts: 626
    im up for BM tomorrow evening Ian what time and where to meet?
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195 ... =slideshow
    Santacruz Chameleon - 2005
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • welshkev
    ianm59 wrote:
    Does anyone fancy W2 on Sunday?
    On a different note, who is doing the FoD enduro and how many laps.

2 laps for me ian :D

can't make tomorrow now but i am gonna do a lap of cwmcarn on wednesday evening if anyone's around?
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Kev have you changed your mob number? Or you just ignoring me :?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Pr][nCe
    Pr][nCe Posts: 626
    edited July 2011
    W2 sounds good to me Ian on Sunday :)

might be up for FOD enduro whos doing it?
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195 ... =slideshow
    Santacruz Chameleon - 2005
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • welshkev
    Kev have you changed your mob number? Or you just ignoring me :?

i text you straight back mate..let me just check my stupid iphone!!!

yep, sent at 10am..you text me again since then?

just re sent this mornings message again, just in case it was that one you didn't get it...
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Just got it fella :D yea stupid iphones.. happens all too often that :?

No probs though cheers Kev, big thanks
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • welshkev
    Just got it fella :D yea stupid iphones.. happens all too often that :?

No probs though cheers Kev, big thanks

no probs mate. you need any help let me know, i usually know someone who can do most things relating to stuff like that :D
  • had a good ride round cwmcarn tonight... super dry!!

But, my BB is farked! Whats the bike shop called by Cwmcarn?

Oh... and i've bought a 180mm travel full bouncer :P
  • welshkev
    just got my bike out of the shed after last thursdays ride (no i didn't ride on the weekend after :oops: )

my rear mech was completely siezed after all that mud, had to totally strip it and spray nearly a whole can of wd40 on it to get the jockey wheels moving again :lol:

i'm gonna hit cwmcarn tomorrow morning before work!!! :shock: probably won't manage a whole lap but i know a few sneaky shortcuts :lol:
  • welshkev
    had a good ride round cwmcarn tonight... super dry!!

i take it your work review went well then 8)

should have let me know ben i couldv'e made it out tonight for a blast :D
  • Ahhhh sorry Kev! I need to keep up with the thread, been off or a while!

Yeah review went better than expected :D
  • Welsh_Tom
    had a good ride round cwmcarn tonight... super dry!!

You down the new downhill yet?

Its much better but dam fast, was pooing my self a little :lol:

What did you get in the end dude?

Kev what time you riding wednesday? (P.s send me your number if it makes easyer to plan)

Dar: cool see you at dm tomorrow, Meet me at pub at 5 to 6?

Sunday I am working and gutted :x

When is that fod endro?