south wales Rides?

Comments

• Sambini
    Sambini Posts: 66
    Hi Chaps

Sorry cant make Afan tommorow, not enough time.

Going to do a lap or two of Cwn Carn if anyone fancies.

Hope you have a good one
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    hi guys, i've got a pass for the morning, can't make afan though sorry. i'm up for CC at about 9ish if anyone else can make it?

Nath, james? i'm still gonna ride even if it is peeing it down, been ages since i've riden locally :lol:
  • Sambini
    Sambini Posts: 66
    Kev

Defo see you in the morning. I'll pump up the the tyres more and float there if I got to.

What about cwmcarn for 9.30 chaps
  • ianm59
    ianm59 Posts: 168
    Welsh_Tom wrote:
    Bike come. Not happy. They totaly fked up the cable for the front brake. I did not see till I started pumping up the forks. It almost ripped the cable out the caliper.
    If the hose hasnt come off then just undo the bars and turn them until they are in the right position giving the correct amount of slack in the cables and hoses, or take the bars of and refit them correctly. I think you probably turned the bars the wrong way. Very easily done. Try that first as I doubt you will get any recompense from the importer as the hose will be the correct length.
    Good luck with it Tom. It'll be a wicked bike when its sorted.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Hi Kev/Sambini - I'll try and mate it for tomorrow but unsure now as things have come up darn it :x will have to say no for now. If I'm there at 9:30 smashing lovely marvelous. If I'm a second later I won't be available to attend although I may be able to get away later. Not sure yet though so don't hang around for me. Have a good ride lads if I don't see you.

Sorry can't make Afan either given the above sorry fellas :cry: have a good ride all.

Tom - sounds like you've got some good advice, sort it and ride her, all will be forgotten when you start on the trails.

See you soon all
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • welshkev
    nice one nath,

any chance you can make it for closer to 9? :?

if you can, great, if not se you at 9.30 :D

anyone else?

and james, you're just avoiding paying your debt again aren't you :wink::lol:
  • Squarepants
    No flies on you Kev :wink:

smiley-face-whistle-2.gif
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • Pr][nCe
    Pr][nCe Posts: 626
    New Crank on Saint M810 22/36/Bash :)
    DSC_4523.jpg

DSC_4527.jpg

took it on a local run today, feels allot stiffer than my XT 3 ring, but sadly its also 240g heavier gggrrr. never win win is it lol.
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195 ... =slideshow
    Santacruz Chameleon - 2005
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • Squarepants
    Love the Saint cranks fella very nice. What they gain in weight they make up for in 8)
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • Pr][nCe
    that it does looks like it belongs there :), was so sick of paying £45 for outer chainring all the time and dont use it, so had to go :)
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • Pr][nCe
    Dazza, how do you find your Heckler?

I've recently been eyeing up the Bullit R FR or Heckler SPX AM from Stif.
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    So first real ride on the new bike,

Up hill it was great, really moved, and sit to 120mm the forks feel great up hill.

Down hill :x :shock:

not to good, the brakes are fked, could not get them to bed in. then we hit a big hill, forget i left the forks at 120 but dont think that made any diffent.

flying down a hill as the brakes would not stop the bike at all. got to a drop, wimped out tryed to stop as i know i did not have the skill to make it,

brakes did not make it, i went out the side door, got a leg down and bounced a few times before landing in a heap on a rock.

nice mark on the fame (the irony is i did not have heil tape on there yet as i put some frame spay on there so could not put it on, was going to do it today :cry: )

Great place to ride but with no brakes i did not enjoy it much at all, had to sit on the back wheel to try and stop it.

after i got home, me and my m8 removed the wheels and closed the brakes, which helped 110% but they are still not right

anyone got a

Avid Elixir 3 bleed key and oil i can buy?
  • Squarepants
    Well; you've christened her Tom, dings have to happen some time. Shame it happened as you say due to the brakes and unfortunate you didn't have the heli tape on, lesson learned the hard way! Have you read your post I commented on about brake set up? Gareth itsmygame (hope you don't mind me volunteering you G) has an Avid brake bleed kit.

Outside chance the brake are contaminated somehow, get some brake cleaner and go over thoroughly, and ruff the pads up (I use the wall of my house..)

Nothing broke that can't be fixed :D
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • Pr][nCe
    Pr][nCe

at the moment ben i cant fault it, tickes all the boxes for me, climbs even with me on it haha, light enough to be agile but burly enough to give it some. single simple pivot no massive bearing bills come service time, and it just works.

more than welcome to have a go mukka.
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • Welsh_Tom

it could well be some contaminated stuff on it. i did give it a rub over with clean Kitchen to make sure it was not, but maybe it was.

i think closeing the brakes with the wheels out has helped, maybe they where just to far out.

i just now dabed a little black mark up paint on her to cover it up :lol:

she looks good as nice. besides the seat :P she has a ripe or to from her trip

i am finding it very hard to ride atm, i am very over biked. the forks feel like jelly as as almost never had any

james come to afan :P
  • Squarepants
    Clean Kitchen.. Not sure bout that Tom, did you do that before your ride? May be the problem :?

Remember it's a very different machine to what you're used to. It may feel wierd for now, take your time and it will start to feel more natural the more you ride. I'm still learning the Hanzz and will be for a while yet..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • Welsh_Tom
    Clean Kitchen.. Not sure bout that Tom, did you do that before your ride? May be the problem :?

Remember it's a very different machine to what you're used to. It may feel wierd for now, take your time and it will start to feel more natural the more you ride. I'm still learning the Hanzz and will be for a while yet..

rofl, i am so dumb, i kitchen what was i thinking :P

kitching paper, it was unsented and what not, no they felt soft before, i think it was just out of place, but if they work fine tomorrow then it was just the calpier was to far back.

its the forks they are so big :lol: but a 80 mm fork would be big to me. i sat on the hellcat when i got in she does not move at all.
  • Welsh_Tom
    Did you say you saw some oil coming from the calliper or brake lever? (can't remember if it was you, swear i read it somewhere though).

Just keep an eye on it. If you notice any more i'd get it checked out. You don't want to be coming to the bottom of a long decent and have no brakes left!
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom
    Did you say you saw some oil coming from the calliper or brake lever? (can't remember if it was you, swear i read it somewhere though).

Just keep an eye on it. If you notice any more i'd get it checked out. You don't want to be coming to the bottom of a long decent and have no brakes left!

after my frist ride i washed it, after a few hours it was dry i was kissing it good night :shock: not joking

there was a black line coming from the line which feeds the calliper, and running all the way down the calliper
  • itsmygame
    itsmygame Posts: 277
    Tom you can borrow my bleed kit by all means no probs. But do yourself a favour and take it to the guy Sladey mention ASAP. Let someone who knows what they are doing look at it before something happens you can't fix. I understand you want to learn about it but there's a time and a place. If it is brake fluid that's leaking don't get it on frame otherwise you can say babye to your nice black paint work.
    RockHopper Expert ---- (the bike not me)
  • welshkev
    me and nathan got out for a ride earlier, when i say ride i mean that i struggled and nathan very patiently waited for me to catch up - thanks mate :D it was a proper struggle today! weather wasn't too bad either.

the final descent was packed though, i caught a guy really quickly, then there was 3 lads stopped cos their mate had fallen off....i backed off the guy i'd caught so i could hammer it down some more and nathan nearly smacked in the back of me :lol: ...but a very enjoyable ride none the less - nathan enjoyed it so much he went off to do a second lap!!!!! :shock:

sorry to hear about your bike tom, i agree with gareth, take it to an expert to get it sorted, then the sooner you can get out for a proper ride :D
  • ianm59
    ianm59 Posts: 168
    Don't give up and try bleeding the brakes Tom. Do the levers go all the way to the bar? If you pump the lever does it get any firmer? If so then it could be a bleed problem. Avid are a bit suspect on bleeding. Get a shop to do it though as they can be a right bith to do. I think your problem is more to do with bedding in. Try a good few very hard stops to get them nice and hot then immediatly quench the caliper in cold water. Find a hill and do a few (5-10) hard stops should do it.
    I will be around on Friday if you want the heli tape.
    Hope you get it sorted. I think its probably more to do with the bike being new and totally different to you. If it was back stuff coming from the caliper after you used it. That sounds more like brake dust and general crap from the trail.
    Hope it works out.
  • Welsh_Tom
    ok brakes are working :lol:

so my m8 was sure they needed bleeding as even after doing the beding in process 100 times :lol: it could not get any joy..

but late lastnight my m8 come over we took the wheels out pulled the leavers closed for few mins. put in the spaers blocks did it again for a few mins. and woohoo they worked.

some thing eles leant for the day :P

great ride with dar today we did the wall. it peed down at one point like no thing you have ever seen, we hide under the trees :wink:

last but 1 section is just like cwms great fun. last section is good, but the one jump i did the superman over and almost lost it over the side :lol: i poo'ed a little :lol:

and i got some confidence back about half way around after my off with very luck lacking skills and no brakes.

So all good. but got home cleand bike, put it back together to find the read gears will not work :cry:

what have i done now i dont know :lol:
  • Squarepants
    Well Cwmcarn is a little different isn't it. Managed to get up about 12:30. Bit gutted the corkscrew has gone - it's been replaced with.... nothing. A smooth run down to the jumps :? The berms seem to have been beefed up a bit and there's a great new big tabletop at the bottom of the FR section followed by some very big berms. I quite like it :D

Still not finished yet and technically still closed off but - well everyone else jumped over the fence :lol:

Not too bad overall
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • jvn01
    jvn01 Posts: 15
    Welsh_Tom wrote:
    ok brakes are working :lol:

so my m8 was sure they needed bleeding as even after doing the beding in process 100 times :lol: it could not get any joy..

but late lastnight my m8 come over we took the wheels out pulled the leavers closed for few mins. put in the spaers blocks did it again for a few mins. and woohoo they worked.

some thing eles leant for the day :P

great ride with dar today we did the wall. it peed down at one point like no thing you have ever seen, we hide under the trees :wink:

last but 1 section is just like cwms great fun. last section is good, but the one jump i did the superman over and almost lost it over the side :lol: i poo'ed a little :lol:

and i got some confidence back about half way around after my off with very luck lacking skills and no brakes.

So all good. but got home cleand bike, put it back together to find the read gears will not work :cry:

what have i done now i dont know :lol:

Good news that the new bike came but avid 3s are just so cr*p everyone I know who has them had probs usually within first 3 months but never as unlucky as you on first ride :-( hope you get it sorted soon, just a shame the 'summer' weather has deserted us again just when you have a new bike to ride ;-)

Oh yes and ps, re taking bits apart and then not working after - don't take anything apart until you've examined it for long enough to fully understand a) how it works and b) how it goes together.. it's so easy to do (we've all been there) and nowadays there is so much helpful stuff on the net or on YouTube, it always pays to read up about it first before you get the tools out...
  • Pr][nCe
    Nice ride Tom where to next mukka :)
    Vids are uploading, but its just going to be mud mud mud and a mini monsoon lol

somit to cheer you up :)

DSC_4534.jpg

DSC_4540.jpg
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • "Pr wrote:
    [nCe"]
    Pr][nCe

at the moment ben i cant fault it, tickes all the boxes for me, climbs even with me on it haha, light enough to be agile but burly enough to give it some. single simple pivot no massive bearing bills come service time, and it just works.

more than welcome to have a go mukka.

Cheers Daz, appreciated!
  • welshkev
    [quote="jvn01"
    Good news that the new bike came but avid 3s are just so cr*p everyone I know who has them had probs usually within first 3 months but never as unlucky as you on first ride :-( ..[/quote]

there's nothing wrong with juicy 3's. i had them on my bike for about 2 years, only changed them when i started to ride bigger and steeper stuff. yes they're budget but i never had any problems :D
  • Stanners79
    Stanners79 Posts: 81
    wow, they've really taken the easy route out on the rock steps in the graveyard section.

Not that I'm complaining, I could never get over them!
    Orange P7 2007
    MOTM on first appearance 10/4/11