south wales Rides?

Comments

• Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Nothing better than getting back to natural Kev, nice one. Do you still have the Spesh by the way? If so, you still selling it?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Nothing better than getting back to natural Kev, nice one. Do you still have the Spesh by the way? If so, you still selling it?

alright jimbo, yeah i've still got the spesh but i've been riding that more than my full bouncer at the moment back and fore to work. i was gonna sell it but i think i'm gonna keep it for now.

why's that, is it for you?
  • Squarepants
    For my newphew, he's 13 and I'm trying to entice him to the gnar side :lol: no worries though, if you're going to be greedy :lol:

You'll have to show us this local route some time
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • welshkev
    For my newphew, he's 13 and I'm trying to entice him to the gnar side :lol: no worries though, if you're going to be greedy :lol:

You'll have to show us this local route some time

yep i'm being greedy :lol:

no worries mate, the route i did today didn't incclude the DH track either as i was on my own and forgot my phone so didn't want to be left on the hill all alone if things went pete tong :lol:

but yeah let me know and we'll sort out a local ride
  • Squarepants
    Prob best for safety.. Yea cool dude we'll arrange it soon hopefully..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • Diar
    Diar Posts: 19
    Gutted, I paid for the uplift, but got so smashed on Sunday (literally) had to have the Monday off so couldn't have the Wednesday as well :(

Any other uplifts arranged in novelty clothing, got the santa suit now and going to use it :)
    Bionicon Ironwood 2010
    Voodoo Canzo 2010
    Cube Attention
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    welshkev wrote:
    i went out for a good ride today, but i think trail centres have turned me into a pussy :lol:

i rode a route that i used to ride all the time with a descent i used to hammer, i stopped at teh top and even considered walking it..WTF!!! i rode it in the end but i'm leaving trail centres alone for a while, gonne man myself up :lol:

Ha ha, in my experience it's called getting older (and inclined to think about things a little more)!!! :lol::lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    For anyone not using the halfway up forums I am booked on an uplift on Friday the 30th Dec, last chance in 2011. ;)
  • Squarepants
    Ohh tempting.. Might join you Mohojo..

I should have a look again at this halfwayup site too..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • Mojo_666
    Ohh tempting.. Might join you Mohojo..

I should have a look again at this halfwayup site too..

You should, most ppl organising rides here now do it there. ;)
  • jim i am free on the 31st if u can not make thr 30th
  • Hi all,

Really need to start getting on some trails/rides, meant to go last year but with work, holidays and in and out of hospital with this stupid illness i struggled to get out apart from road cycling.

Im a total novice when it comes to trail route so could someone advise where an easy trail would be to start, im a Bridgend area.

Thanks

Matt
    Boardman pro ht 2010
  • mattblue wrote:
    Hi all,

Really need to start getting on some trails/rides, meant to go last year but with work, holidays and in and out of hospital with this stupid illness i struggled to get out apart from road cycling.

Im a total novice when it comes to trail route so could someone advise where an easy trail would be to start, im a Bridgend area.

Thanks

Matt

Matt

I would suggest getting an OS Map and go exploring and get the miles in your legs, If your looking for a trail centre look no further than Brechfa they have got Blue and Green trails there which are ideal for beginners also Afan Argoed are developing a new Green route. Cwmcarn can also be be ridden utilising the fire road instead of some of the more technical sections.

Check out http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/centres/afan_forest_park/afan_forest_park.aspx

http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/Bases/Brechfa/Brechfa.aspx

http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/Centres/Cwmcarn/Twrch/Twrch.aspx

or try these

http://www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk/Off%20road.html

Take your time and enjoy it as long as you are reasonably fit you should be ok.
  • Cheers mate, im up to around 22km on the cycle when road cycling in just over the hour so am doing a lot better then when I first started, think I did 14km in the hour.

Thanks

Matt
    Boardman pro ht 2010
  • I'm in the Bridgend area as well, drop me a line if you want to go up to afan :)
    Orange P7 2007
    MOTM on first appearance 10/4/11
  • Pr][nCe
    Pr][nCe Posts: 626
    Hi Stanners79
    long time no see, most of us off here have moved over to www.halfwayupmtb.com new mountainbike forum/club very active spread the word.

hope to see ya trail side soon mukka
    Santacruz Heckler - 2010
    http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s195 ... =slideshow
    Santacruz Chameleon - 2005
    Cannondale F400 - 2003
  • I've signed up, should have more time to ride now as I've finished all my exams with work!

Did the wall on Sunday, still aching!
    Orange P7 2007
    MOTM on first appearance 10/4/11
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    oo Prince that looks interesting,

Lot of local newport area lads to go riding with there?
  • welshkev
    oo Prince that looks interesting,

Lot of local newport area lads to go riding with there?

basically most of the guys who used to post on here plus a load of others...100 members i think now
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Is this new site limited to Newport(ish) riders or do you get guys turning up from all over the place. I'm up in the deepest darkest valleys and it's a bit of a trek on my own, but if someone was up for a bit of lift sharing on a regular basis I might be tempted. Also, are all riders and rider abilities catered for?

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • welshkev
    mainly the gwent area mate, but they get out for rides all over the place, it was merthyr 2 weeks ago and cwm rhaedar (however you spell it) next week. where are you from?

one of the guys (pr][nce) is from porth i think and a few other guys are from further afield i believe
  • Mojo_666
    edited January 2012
    welshkev wrote:
    mainly the gwent area mate, but they get out for rides all over the place, it was merthyr 2 weeks ago and cwm rhaedar (however you spell it) next week. where are you from?

one of the guys (pr][nce) is from porth i think and a few other guys are from further afield i believe

The Club is centred around Blackwood but we have riders from Cardiff, Newport, Barry, Bridgend, Merthyr, Porth etc as Kev says we ride everywhere but our weekday evening rides run from Blackwood and the club meetings are in Blackwood weekend rides could be anywhere really.
  • Mojo_666
    jndb72 wrote:
    Also, are all riders and rider abilities catered for?

There is no official minimum standard afaik but I would say if you have ridden off road for a few months can stay upright (mostly) and do 15ks without any trouble you would be OK :lol:
  • jndb72
    Cheers for the info. 15ks shouldn't be a problem, as long as the pace is not at breakneck speed :shock:

I'm up in Aberdare at the moment so Blackwood is not a million miles away. I'll head on over to the site and take a look. Might see you all soon.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• Mojo_666
    jndb72 wrote:
    Cheers for the info. 15ks shouldn't be a problem, as long as the pace is not at breakneck speed :shock:

I'm up in Aberdare at the moment so Blackwood is not a million miles away. I'll head on over to the site and take a look. Might see you all soon.

Cheers

Speed is not an issue on the group rides, some go faster up, some go faster down, everyone waits though.
  • rickin
    rickin Posts: 8
    I'm from Treherbert and have joined in with 1 ride from the halfwayupmtb troop and they were a good bunch of boys, made me feel most welcome. Hoping to join in with a few more this year
  • jndb72
    Can anyone reccommend a local(ish) Canynon friendly LBS. Need my brakes and gears checked out.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• Mojo_666
    Any LBS should be happy to help with those things, I don't know any that would turn you away because you have a Canyon, where are you located exactly?

Also check out the club, we have a meeting Thursday evening and tbh this kinda thing can be sorted just by knowing people who have tools, space and a little know how and who happen to like Canyon's. :wink:
  • jndb72
    Based in Aberdare at the mo. Already tried the LBS with mixed results. The front (and to a lesser extent) back brakes are squeeling like mad, not just under braking, constantly. So bad today I cut my lunch time ride short. The LBS recently changed the brake pads on the front and rear and adjusted the calipers. Seemed to work for a few rides then the problem (the squeeling) returned (problem has pretty much been there since the first day I had the bike).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0

• Mojo_666
    This can happen with cheaper brakes and TBH unless you upgrade the brakes you may never really get rid of it, I had the same issue on my last bike...lower end avid's appear to be more prone than shimano.