Buying trousers (War on slim people)

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    whyamihere wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    If cycling makes your thighs bigger, why is it always my calf muscles that ache after a long or hard ride, rarely my thighs?
    If you sit down for hard acceleration or steep climbs, it'll get your calves. If you stand up, it'll get your thighs. I assume you stay seated?

I never knew that
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    JGS wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Back on topic...

I have exactly the same problem; Gap trousers seem to be better than most. Still need a belt, but only have to go up a couple of inches on the waist measurement to be able to fit my legs in...

I suffer from this as well, and have a horrible time trying to find decent jeans that fit. I'm 6' 3", 30/32 waist with a 36" leg and thigh circumference of 26.5". I find generally, that if I can find long enough legged 30/32 jeans I go for a "Loose" cut, which ends up looking more like slim/tailored. I've found Firetrap seem to be the best so far, and aren't insanely expensive compared to other "designer" ones ...

I have an, erm, bottom heavy body-shape and agree that Firetrap are pretty good in the 'roominess' department. G-Star are also decent (but a bit more expensive) and, if you get lucky the Uni-Qlo stuff is excellent - Japanese Denim for less than £50?! Yes please!

Haven't tried these at all, but Swrve are a company that makes clothes for cyclists and they do jeans.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I thought FTFY stood for Fcuk That Fcuk You.

Oh well.

Look, DDD, anyone can wear slim fit jeans and look good.

FACT.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • girly thin looking men...

I still haven't figured out why slim men merit the adjective ''girly.''
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    +1 for Firetrap.

I also have a pair of jeans made by OneTrueSaxon (no spaces? Weird, huh?) that fit well. Loose without being overly baggy.

On the whole coloured/mixed raceed/bi-racial thing, whenever I hear the term bi-racial, I imagine someone who is literally negroid on one side of their body and caucasoid on the other, like a bimetalic strip.

Silly I know, but I find that mental image amusing.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    On the whole coloured/mixed raceed/bi-racial thing, whenever I hear the term bi-racial, I imagine someone who is literally negroid on one side of their body and caucasoid on the other, like a bimetalic strip.

Once again, Star Trek showS us the future:

bele_and_lokai_star_trek.jpg
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    girly thin looking men...

I still haven't figured out why slim men merit the adjective ''girly.''[/quote

cause fat means manly of course

Reading this shower of shte I'm not sure if I should post a massive facepalm pic or call DDD a giant douche.....

Jesus_facepalm.jpg

DDD you're being a massive douche grow up

I think that sums this up.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    hurtful comment on your race=bad.
    hurtful comment on your body figure=fine. :roll:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Great thread! Really brighten up my Saturday morning :-)

I don't own many pairs of jeans (I think only 2 but if I don't wear clothes regularly then tend to get lost in the clothes piles......problem with having 7 people in a small house!!)
    1 is a pair of Levi's that are rather "snug" to the point that I have difficulty getting my wallet in and out and need to either go commando or wear the tight boxers!
    The other pair is from George, almost identical in appearance but a much nicer fit!

Most of the time I wear either shorts, 3/4 lengths or khaki trousers as they are always a comfortable fit. Even with my short height (around 5'6") the 30" waist trousers normally end up coming up long on me (in regular I think) - not so much of an issue with the casual trousers but does mean I need to shorten the work's trousers :-)

At the end of the day I think if you shop around you should find something to fit you and sod fashion (except the current trend for women wearing insanely short shorts, that ROCKS!) wear what you feel comfortable in and get on with it. If someone is going to judge me on the clothes I'm wearing and if they are the current in thing this season then quite frankly they are not the kind of person I'm interested in getting to know any better.....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Talking about sprinters I wonder where Chris Hoy gets his trousers, I wonder if I can shop there?

The fella can't even walk properly his thighs are so big.

I was at a training camp in Mallorca a couple of years ago and team GB were there training as well...Pendleton, Hoy, Romero etc. I was sitting having lunch at the same restaurant as them in Puerto Pollenca (they were taking a break, their bikes were propped up outside) and Hoy's phone rang. He picked up the phone and walked outside to take it, I couldn't believe how he walked, he was bow-legged due to the size of his thighs! Awesome!

Later that day we decided to descend the Sa Calobra and climb back up...an awesome ride and a very tough climb back up (12k if I remember rightly). We found doing it once pretty demanding...and we came across Romero doing interval sessions up it!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    You are joking aren't you?

Have you ever tried buying trousers for a 30" waist and 34" leg? I have. Even 32" waist and a belt would do me. They don't exist, assuming you don't want to pay over £100 for a pair of jeans (I have no desire to do so). I have 2 options: I can either buy jeans which fit me around the waist, but sit significantly above my ankles, going halfway up my calf if I dare to sit down, or jeans which are long enough, but require the waistband to be so bunched up by my belt that there are uncomfortable lumps of denim at irregular intervals around my middle. I generally choose the latter as it looks slightly less ridiculous.

If anyone knows where thin people can get clothes without taking out a huge bank loan, please let me know. Though I agree that tight jeans do look stupid, I much prefer a baggy leg. If I could find any of the damn things.

This baffles me. Are you thin and tall? That's even worse...

I'm 5'11 and wide so I have to by wide fitting torusers that have a 32'' leg (short). In other words dumpy.

WTF?

I am the same size, and have the problem with jeans as DDD. I also pride myself about the power my thighs can lay down. (a nickname at college was "WDT" - well developed thighs)
    I too am (was) in marketing in the public sector.
    I am opinionated and rant on a cycling bulletin board.
    I have had the odd clash of swords with spen (ASIDE - man, his post was just a joke, and quite good too - calm down, and take every post on it's own merits, irrespective of previous history)

I AM AN ALTERNATIVE DDD!!!!!!!*

I find the Gap caters for my needs - and they nearly always have some jeans on sale.

* I was going to say I was the white DDD, but decided against it..... :wink: .
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    +1 for Firetrap.

I also have a pair of jeans made by OneTrueSaxon (no spaces? Weird, huh?) that fit well. Loose without being overly baggy.

they make jeans for the BNP.....

IGMC
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    I do heavy squats two or three days a week and cycle to work, so I know all about big thighs and the struggle to fit in to jeans that I have no problem buttoning at the waist. That said, I wear slim/skinny jeans. Sorry, DDD ;)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I wear 501s as a rule (always been comfy) but I'm 6' and 15.5 stone now :oops:

Thighs aren't a huge issue (they ARE tight but not annoyingly so), my big problem is my calves. If I ever need to get my jeans over my calves, it's ALWAYS a struggle to get the damn things over them. Going for a sit down sesh on the bog is just a pain in the arse (could've phrased that better :shock: ) as I need some force to get the jeans over the calves.

I think I need to stand up more when cycling.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I wear racist jeans?

I did a search and it took me to some very strange websites and forums...
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Thighs aren't a huge issue (they ARE tight but not annoyingly so), my big problem is my calves. If I ever need to get my jeans over my calves, it's ALWAYS a struggle to get the damn things over them. Going for a sit down sesh on the bog is just a pain in the ars* (could've phrased that better :shock: ) as I need some force to get the jeans over the calves.

OK i'm :? You can get your jeans over your thighs ok, but not over your calves? Wouldn't that mean your calves are bigger than your thighs??
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Thighs aren't a huge issue (they ARE tight but not annoyingly so), my big problem is my calves. If I ever need to get my jeans over my calves, it's ALWAYS a struggle to get the damn things over them. Going for a sit down sesh on the bog is just a pain in the ars* (could've phrased that better :shock: ) as I need some force to get the jeans over the calves.

OK i'm :? You can get your jeans over your thighs ok, but not over your calves? Wouldn't that mean your calves are bigger than your thighs??

Yeah. You're confused? How the feck do you think *I* feel? :roll: :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056

You must be the leg equivalent of popeye.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    I wear 501s as a rule (always been comfy) but I'm 6' and 15.5 stone now :oops:

I think I need to stand up more when cycling.

same issue here, i think its something to do with sitting when trying to move the jeans. standing up its fine.

I always have issues with jeans and trousers, I managed to split a pair while working in the gym mid squat (no weight) they just ripped they were a large (36" waist - mine was only 28" at the time) the seems on the legs started to give out also.

Not the biggest at 5'10, 32" waist (will be 28" again soon) and 27" thighs, its murder getting anything to fit right.
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    whyamihere wrote:
    You are joking aren't you?

Have you ever tried buying trousers for a 30" waist and 34" leg? I have. Even 32" waist and a belt would do me. They don't exist, assuming you don't want to pay over £100 for a pair of jeans (I have no desire to do so). I have 2 options: I can either buy jeans which fit me around the waist, but sit significantly above my ankles, going halfway up my calf if I dare to sit down, or jeans which are long enough, but require the waistband to be so bunched up by my belt that there are uncomfortable lumps of denim at irregular intervals around my middle. I generally choose the latter as it looks slightly less ridiculous.

If anyone knows where thin people can get clothes without taking out a huge bank loan, please let me know. Though I agree that tight jeans do look stupid, I much prefer a baggy leg. If I could find any of the damn things.

http://clothes.shop.ebay.co.uk/Jeans-/1 ... 86.c0.m282
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    girly thin looking men...

I still haven't figured out why slim men merit the adjective ''girly.''

Because we have sexy, attractive arses.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Oddjob62 wrote:

You must be the leg equivalent of popeye.

Where does he insert the spinach, then?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Kieran,

if your jeans will go over your thighs, but not over your calves, can I ask how you put them on?

I'm trying to work how you get them over your thighs if they won't pass your calves. Do you put them on over your head?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Kieran_Burns
    spen666 wrote:
    Kieran,

if your jeans will go over your thighs, but not over your calves, can I ask how you put them on?

I'm trying to work how you get them over your thighs if they won't pass your calves. Do you put them on over your head?

As above sarky :P It's the sit down thing... they're an absolute bugger to pull over the calves when I'm sat down
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    whyamihere wrote:

I'm 6' with a 30" waist and a 34" leg or two. When I was in the UK I used to get my jeans from H&M. TopMan is also worth a look - lots of 30L jeans on their website, although mostly skinny styles.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    CrackFox wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

I'm 6' with a 30" waist and a 34" leg or two. When I was in the UK I used to get my jeans from H&M. TopMan is also worth a look - lots of 30L jeans on their website, although mostly skinny styles.

30L will generally be a 32" leg not a 34".

I'm a 30" waist with a 32.5" inside leg (so need to buy a 34" leg or risk half-mast). Skinny jeans aren't a option because my thighs aren't matchsticks (I too have difficulty getting my jeans over my claves when going for a session on the throne).

It's a nightmare. Clothes are either made for fat folks or the anorexic. Buying clothes is actually hard now I'm reasonably fit.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    PBo wrote:
    they make jeans for the BNP.....

IGMC

Do they really? I didn't know the BNP had their own label out, can you buy it at John Lewis next to the other OneTrueSaxon stuff then? I think I saw Nick Griffin on TV in a M&S suit the other day, so lets all label Mylene Klass as a Nazi Sympathiser and maybe they stick pork in all their food products to ensure that they get revenge on the Jews? Maybe that, or you're being a bit of a prick ...

I work round the corner from their main shop in Nottingham and didn't find out about their connection to football (a bit like Stone Island apparently), until I was about to buy some of their jeans. However I did try on some of their stuff and it does fit quite well, so I'm annoyed I bowed down to daft perceptions and didn't buy any of their jeans because of that.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Has the shape of Homo-Sapien changed in the past 10 years?

A Man should not be physically able to wear skinny jeans. If he can then something is desperately wrong and he needs to go to a Doctor. Then, when they laugh at the absurdity that life has dealt they should go to a counsellor.

I thought girls like Men-looking-Men, you know the type that look like they can snap you in the bedroom. So I'm sorry but girly framed slim men should not be the marvel of fashion.

If you can wear a pair of jeans and I have to wait till I pass you and see your face to:

i) Make sure you're female
    ii) Make sure its OK to feel attracted to your pert girly butt wiggle

Then something is wrong in society.

Slim-fit is not something a broad shouldered, manly framed Man, like me, needs to read on the front of every mens item in a shop. Slim-fit boxers being a popular choice takes the p.i.s.s.

If they fit clothes for the thin man, the 'normal' man and the large man, with the assumption that 'large' equates to fat, then they should fit clothes, trousers specifically, for the cycling thigh. Why? I'm tired of taking my 33inch waist into shops and having to buy 36inch or 38inch (waist) trousers because anything smaller won't fit around my thighs and the subsequent effect is to visibly strangle my "smith and wesson".

Urgh.

Oh where to begin? If you can't tell the difference between male and female, then can I suggest an anatomy class, or perhaps some life drawing lessons? Anyway, surely a baggier cut of jeans is more likely to disguise the different shapes of the male and female posterior.

As a skinny/slim chap, (girly by your reckoning - haven't seen you on the Embankment though have we DDD for all the talk of exponentially increased thighs) I'm actually quite glad that I can now wear a shirt without looking like a scarecrow, and wear jeans that don't flap when I walk. Surely a pair of trousers that is tighter around the thigh shows off your 'manliness' more than a baggier pair - see the '70s for further reference.

Lastly, while BR might give the impression that the world is full of cyclists, there aren't enough of us for Gap to start doing a 'Cyclist cut' are there?

One even lastly-er thought: for your new too-posh-to-cycle job, a bespoke suit will definitely go down well, just get a couple of pairs of trousers made at the same time. Expensive, but well worth the money, both in comfort, and the image it will project.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    Asprilla wrote:
    CrackFox wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

30L will generally be a 32" leg not a 34".

I'm a 30" waist with a 32.5" inside leg (so need to buy a 34" leg or risk half-mast). Skinny jeans aren't a option because my thighs aren't matchsticks (I too have difficulty getting my jeans over my claves when going for a session on the throne).

It's a nightmare. Clothes are either made for fat folks or the anorexic. Buying clothes is actually hard now I'm reasonably fit.

I always thought a 32 was a Reg and a 34 a Long? The TopMan sizing guide lists a L as 34" and Extra Long as 36" but I guess it depends on where you shop. The net is generally better than the high street for anyone with a waist measurement lower than their inseam. Gap used to do jeans with a 30" waist and a 33" leg, but they produce chinos for Al-Qaeda so you might want to give them a miss.