What would you do?

1235»

Comments

• Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Sorry about the thread revival!

I am thinking of getting a fixie and like the look of the Fuji Track you purchased. Would you mind answering a couple of questions?

How did you find the Ebarg? What state of assembly was the bike delivered in? - Could I assemble it easily enough is what I am getting at!

The bike itself - now you have had it a while, would you recommend? Is the gearing ok? My commute is mainly flat, with some (not steep) hills

Would be very interested on your feedback.
    Thanks.
  • slowlanejane
    slowlanejane Posts: 312
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Fix the giant as part of a long term I-want-to-learn-how-to-fix-build-a-bike-project.

'scuse me whiile I butt in late (been workin) ... I ahve an old MTB to fix up as part of a long term I-want-to-learn-how-to-fix-build-a-bike-project because I too, am limited in mechanical skills and have long neglected an almost indestructible bike - al-most indestructable, must have bought it in 1992, never been serviced or cleaned properly. Still works, bit characterful, like.

Got some tools, got a manual - where the feck do I start tho? just pull it apart and hope I can reassemble?
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    'scuse me whiile I butt in late (been workin) ... I ahve an old MTB to fix up as part of a long term I-want-to-learn-how-to-fix-build-a-bike-project because I too, am limited in mechanical skills and have long neglected an almost indestructible bike - al-most indestructable, must have bought it in 1992, never been serviced or cleaned properly. Still works, bit characterful, like.

Got some tools, got a manual - where the feck do I start tho? just pull it apart and hope I can reassemble?

First step is to clean it. Working on a manky bike is not much fun.

Then pick the bit that makes most noise, work out what type it is, go to youtube and search for a servicing video. Watch twice. Search for the part on the Park Tools website, and read their instructions. Go to LBS to get the appropriate tools, and some grease. Take it apart, clean it, regrease it and put it back together. Rinse and repeat with next noisy bit.

If in doubt, take bits into LBS and ask, or post in the workshop section here.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506

Don't pull it apart for the sake of it.

+1 for the cleaning it thoroughly though

If it's got a problem, then try fixing it. I'd say the most likely is poor shifting or braking.

In the case of shifting, start with taking the chain off and cleaning it and the cassette, derailleurs, chainrings. You'll do well to change the cables too if they're 12 years old, which will require setting the cable tension and playing with limit screws.

If it's braking, then clean the rims and brake pads. Check the rims for wear and check the brake pads for remaining material and flakes of metal/grit/stuff. Replace those cables and adjust the brake pads so they make contact properly.

If you come to unscrew anything, make sure that you have a torque wrench with adequate range for doing it up if required. Brakes won't have a torque rating; "tight" is good enough. I'd also take a look at the bolts when you put them back in; if they're rusted then they'll appear "tight" early on, but don't actually lubricate them -- just clean them.

PS if it's 12 years old then I'd guess the screw heads are full of rubbish. Clean them too, and make sure you use the correct size screwdriver otherwise you can strip/round off the head very easily.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • slowlanejane
    slowlanejane Posts: 312
    Davis & Lard:: Many thanks. Might just start that fixiing up project. If I do I'll post progress pics. Wait till you see state of bike now.