TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Cafewanda wrote:
    1. have a driving license (to include hgv of course), Yep
    2. have a job, Yep
    3. not live with their folks (unless there is a good reason). Yep
    4. have a bird/wife/chick/husband/boyfriend. Nope
    5. have surgery scars. Yep
    6. have blown something up (not just a balloon). Nope
    7. know how to strip and reassemble a browning 9mm pistol whilst blindfolded. Nope
    8. be able to operate a sledge hammer efficiently (even when striking above head height). Once upon a time.
    9. have been bottled/punched/stabbed without falling down. Nope
    10. be able to repair and service their own car/bike/lorry/plant equiment. Hmm. Basic.

You can drive HGVs?!

Chapeau!!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    LiT,

given that you need new wheels and the frame is wrong, I'm betting it would be almost a s cheap to buy a new bike as to buy a new frame and new wheels. Then you'd get nice new bars and cranks for close to free

(By the way, I do apprecaite that you've been waiting for someone to write that, I'm just doing the gentlemanly thing and putting you ourt of your misery :wink: )

J
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    TommyEss wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    2. have a job, Yep
    7. know how to strip and reassemble a browning 9mm pistol whilst blindfolded. Nope
    8. be able to operate a sledge hammer efficiently (even when striking above head height). Once upon a time.
    10. be able to repair and service their own car/bike/lorry/plant equiment. Hmm. Basic.

You can drive HGVs?!

Chapeau!!!

You've seen how (not) tall I am right? Do you think that's physically possible? :lol::lol:
  • TommyEss
    Oh - and LiT

Seem to be going round in circles - flatly - the Bowery is not a massively expensive bike. The cost of repairs if it's as knackered as things suggest, will be creaping north of £200 - or nearly 2/3rds the cost of the thing - if it was a car - it'd be a write-off.

On top of that - it doesn't fit you.

Any fiddles with stem length, fork steerer length - give you a few mm - when you need a few cm.

On top of that - a shorter stem makes the steering more twitchy - changing fork rake will also alter the ride/handling, plus you're potentially risking toe overlap and the like.

On that basis - if it were me - I'd ebay the bowery for parts - the frame and forks should be fine - and they'll do someone a lot of good - someone who's a good few inches taller than you (I'm 5'8" and Giant Medium fits me spot on...)

Then, look to replace it with something that does fit you.

If you're after a fixed wheel commuting machine, I'd thoroughly recommend the On One Il Pompino. Cheap, sturdy, mounts for everything, cantilever brakes - more powerful than callipers and the squeak is good for getting peds' attention.

Also look at Pearson - Touché (Aluminium) or Hanzo (Steel)

Or Dolan do one too - can't remember the name off the top of my head.

HTH.

Tom
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • TommyEss
    Cafewanda wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    2. have a job, Yep

You can drive HGVs?!

Chapeau!!!

You've seen how (not) tall I am right? Do you think that's physically possible? :lol::lol:

That was my point - so you can't say "Yep" to number 1...!
  • Cafewanda
    I can so!! Just not completely............. :P
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    TommyEss wrote:
    Oh - and LiT

Seem to be going round in circles - flatly - the Bowery is not a massively expensive bike. The cost of repairs if it's as knackered as things suggest, will be creaping north of £200 - or nearly 2/3rds the cost of the thing - if it was a car - it'd be a write-off.

On top of that - it doesn't fit you.

Any fiddles with stem length, fork steerer length - give you a few mm - when you need a few cm.

On top of that - a shorter stem makes the steering more twitchy - changing fork rake will also alter the ride/handling, plus you're potentially risking toe overlap and the like.

On that basis - if it were me - I'd ebay the bowery for parts - the frame and forks should be fine - and they'll do someone a lot of good - someone who's a good few inches taller than you (I'm 5'8" and Giant Medium fits me spot on...)

Then, look to replace it with something that does fit you.

If you're after a fixed wheel commuting machine, I'd thoroughly recommend the On One Il Pompino. Cheap, sturdy, mounts for everything, cantilever brakes - more powerful than callipers and the squeak is good for getting peds' attention.

Also look at Pearson - Touché (Aluminium) or Hanzo (Steel)

Or Dolan do one too - can't remember the name off the top of my head.

HTH.

Tom

Chars. I'm also 5'8", or a shade under, I just have a ridculously short back.

And the bowery cost me £220, although a new one appears to be a good deal more expensive!
  • TommyEss
    I hear ya - just got that horrible niggling dount that anything you do to try and tweak your current Bowery will still leave you not quite there - it's hard to acknowledge - I had the same thing with my Cannondale - just never comfy on it (too small though - now it's my TT bike, which is supposed to be uncomfortable, right)
  • lost_in_thought
    jedster wrote:
    LiT,

given that you need new wheels and the frame is wrong, I'm betting it would be almost a s cheap to buy a new bike as to buy a new frame and new wheels. Then you'd get nice new bars and cranks for close to free

(By the way, I do apprecaite that you've been waiting for someone to write that, I'm just doing the gentlemanly thing and putting you ourt of your misery :wink: )

J

He makes a valid point... I shall have a look at new frame/fork combos versus new bikes. And also take the poor widdle bowery into a shop and ask them how much it would cost to get it all shiny again.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    edited June 2010
    But it still won't fit you properly even if you have a funny turn and blow £500 on some IP-style colour-coordinated kit. It's always going to make your back hurt, which I suspect has something to do with it being neglected in the first place.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lost_in_thought
    rjsterry wrote:
    But it still won't fit you properly even if you have a funny turn and blow £500 on some IP-style colour-coordinated kit.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh alright fine then.

Anyone want to buy a Bowery?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Blimey, that only took four pages!

Now then, about world peace...

BTW, I would have been vaguely interested, but have just had to shell out for a new head gasket, cam belt, etc, etc. on the car, so won't be buying anything fun for a while.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    New job = new bike, anyway. That's the rule.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Cafewanda wrote:
    That's only because you can abuse me and get away with it cos I can't reach high enough to knock you out :lol: :P

that'd be funny if he wasn't so short
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    LiT, promise me you'll buy something beautiful and steel. You won't regret either.
  • MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    Fuji track.

Cheap and cheerful, steel, awesome fun.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Cafewanda has mentioned getting a bike with drops, hasn't she? Why not take LiT's Bowery off her hands.

It only needs a new chain, wheels and maybe forks to replace the heavy ones. Also lots of TLC by the sound of things.

Or would it be too big?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Cafewanda has mentioned getting a bike with drops, hasn't she? Why not take LiT's Bowery off her hands.

I'd love to see Wanda ride a bike which LiT thought was too big for her :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

It only needs a new chain, wheels and maybe forks to replace the heavy ones. Also lots of TLC by the sound of things.

Or would it be too big?

The impression I get is that two Cafewandas, balanced on top of each other, still wouldn't be tall enough for LiTs Bowery. And that is nothing to do with LiTs height :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    LiT - may I suggest something that no-one else has mentioned?

You could try a cheap mtb flat bar and brake levers, which will be OK with road brakes. Assuming you usually ride on the brake hoods, this will automatically bring your hands 3" or so further back. You'll be a bit more upright and less aero, but maybe that won't matter too much? The bar will be wider than a road one, but they can be cut down easily if necessary.

Some bar-ends will give you an alternative hand position for when (or if!) you don't need to cover the brakes. Shopping around or eBay should be able to source what you need for £30-40 max. In fact I've got the relevant bits languishing in my garage somewhere.

Not been on the forum for a while. Better go before the men in white coats spot me using the governor's computer!! :wink:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Just had a quick read through the thread and some of the worn parts can be bought for the following approx cost.

103mm BB JIS from velosolo £20, or buy mine from me. Bought it in error.
    chainring, 130 bcd £20
    Chain £10
    Freewheel £20 CRC
    Sprocket £20
    Wheels upto £150 pair, Halo Aerorage.
    Add to this the cost of getting the bits fitted by the LBS.

I might be tempted on the frame if you were going to say bye to the Bowery, you're 5 8" and its too big?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Cafewanda
    Aidy and Rolf F :twisted: :twisted: :P :cry: :roll:

CP, you could have written that sentence differently. Makes me seem shorter than a two year old............... Oh wait :(
  • TommyEss
    redvee wrote:
    I might be tempted on the frame if you were going to say bye to the Bowery, you're 5 8" and its too big?

5'8" with a short back - I'm 5'8" and a medium Bowery fits me spot on (I'm reasonably proportional bar the slightly ape-like arms (for my height!))
  • lost_in_thought
    biondino wrote:
    LiT, promise me you'll buy something beautiful and steel. You won't regret either.

I promise nothing.
  • lost_in_thought
    redvee wrote:
    Just had a quick read through the thread and some of the worn parts can be bought for the following approx cost.

103mm BB JIS from velosolo £20, or buy mine from me. Bought it in error.
    chainring, 130 bcd £20
    Chain £10
    Freewheel £20 CRC
    Sprocket £20
    Wheels upto £150 pair, Halo Aerorage.
    Add to this the cost of getting the bits fitted by the LBS.

Wowsers, where are you buying these parts? Chains (I use half-links) tend to cost me upwards of £25, chainring when last I looked was £40....

And yeah, I'm 5'8" and it's about 3cm too long for me. I'm stupidly short-backed though.
  • lost_in_thought
    don_don wrote:
    LiT - may I suggest something that no-one else has mentioned?

You could try a cheap mtb flat bar and brake levers, which will be OK with road brakes. Assuming you usually ride on the brake hoods, this will automatically bring your hands 3" or so further back. You'll be a bit more upright and less aero, but maybe that won't matter too much? The bar will be wider than a road one, but they can be cut down easily if necessary.

Some bar-ends will give you an alternative hand position for when (or if!) you don't need to cover the brakes. Shopping around or eBay should be able to source what you need for £30-40 max. In fact I've got the relevant bits languishing in my garage somewhere.

Not been on the forum for a while. Better go before the men in white coats spot me using the governor's computer!! :wink:

Flat bars? Well, I appreciate the thought but my wrists will kill me.
  • TommyEss
    Chains (I use half-links) tend to cost me upwards of £25.

Just out of interest - why are you using half-links? The Bowery's got track ends, so you can tension up the chain that way - I thought half-links were the God-send to people converting road bikes to fixed with vertical drop-outs and looking for the "Magic Ratio".
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,356
    Haven't read the full thread but it's blindingly obvious

Bowery=Winter Fixie
    ??????=Summer Fixie
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • lost_in_thought
    TommyEss wrote:
    Chains (I use half-links) tend to cost me upwards of £25.

Just out of interest - why are you using half-links? The Bowery's got track ends, so you can tension up the chain that way - I thought half-links were the God-send to people converting road bikes to fixed with vertical drop-outs and looking for the "Magic Ratio".

They seem to stretch slower and run a wee bit smoother.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922

Wowsers, where are you buying these parts? Chains (I use half-links) tend to cost me upwards of £25, chainring when last I looked was £40....

And yeah, I'm 5'8" and it's about 3cm too long for me. I'm stupidly short-backed though.

Just realised that you have a Giant bike, quite literally, and the prices for parts were for my Tricross single which might not be the same but not far off. I've been running a £10 KMC SS chain and the chainring came off Ebay.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.