What would you do?

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Lost_in_Thouhgt,

Just buy another bike, brompton or something quirky. Fix the giant as part of a long term I-want-to-learn-how-to-fix-build-a-bike-project.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    rjsterry wrote:
    You didn't say in what way it was too big. Too much reach to the bars? I suppose a longer steerer would reduce the reach slightly, but not as much as a shorter stem, which you've already done. Think I'd agree with Rolf F on this one.

Yep, top tube too long for my stupid short back. Only by about 3cm now that I've replaced teh stem etc but I feel it in my spine by the end of the week!

As for servicing hubs, I wouldn't know where to start!
    I would start by taking the wheels off.

I am going to walk out of this office, cycle to Ealing, get in my car, drive to wherever it is you live and kick you in the shins.

you really don't know where AT lives do you? :D
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    MrBlond wrote:
    Sell it.

I'm not understanding how different forks are going to make the top tube any shorter...

i think the idea is a longer steerer brings the stem/bars closer.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    PBo wrote:
    MrBlond wrote:
    Sell it.

I'm not understanding how different forks are going to make the top tube any shorter...

i think the idea is a longer steerer brings the stem/bars closer.

There's that, and also the bars being higher relaxes the angle of your back.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    OK, I don't want to sell it, I can't really be arsed.

Buns, your 'third option' sounds like a sterling plan, I have to say. And it's relatively cheap, and I can have a wee go at putting it all together. If I buy a frame and forks, it'll come with a BB in it, right? Right? And it'll fit my cranks, right? RIGHT? :shock:
  • lost_in_thought
    MrChuck wrote:
    If I were you I'd probably be leaning towards a new one, especially if you'd be getting someone else to do the work. Cost is heading that way and you'll still have the wrong size when you're done.

You make a valid point.

As far as getting the forks with the longer steerer, is that really going to help bring the bars closer to me? Or not so much?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411

Buns, your 'third option' sounds like a sterling plan, I have to say. And it's relatively cheap, and I can have a wee go at putting it all together. If I buy a frame and forks, it'll come with a BB in it, right? Right? And it'll fit my cranks, right? RIGHT? :shock:

AFAIK frames normally include, err, nothing. Sometimes they are sold as frame-and-fork, with the headset fitted (you'll be wanting one of these), but you'll have to fit the BB yourself (you just need to screw it in to the shell, so no biggie). I'm guessing the Bowery has a square taper BB, so you just need something like a Shimano UN54 to replace it. The only tricky bit is getting the right length of BB for the BB shell of your new frame. Sheldon should have something on this.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lost_in_thought
    rjsterry wrote:

AFAIK frames normally include, err, nothing. Sometimes they are sold as frame-and-fork, with the headset fitted (you'll be wanting one of these), but you'll have to fit the BB yourself (you just need to screw it in to the shell, so no biggie). I'm guessing the Bowery has a square taper BB, so you just need something like a Shimano UN54 to replace it. The only tricky bit is getting the right length of BB for the BB shell of your new frame. Sheldon should have something on this.

Oh god.... that sounds way too hard already. :? :oops: :cry:
  • rjsterry
    MrChuck wrote:
    If I were you I'd probably be leaning towards a new one, especially if you'd be getting someone else to do the work. Cost is heading that way and you'll still have the wrong size when you're done.

You make a valid point.

As far as getting the forks with the longer steerer, is that really going to help bring the bars closer to me? Or not so much?

Looking at the geometry

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/bowery.fmx/4867/38989/

you've only got half a degree between the seat and head angles, so a taller steerer will make you sit up more, but not really bring the bars closer by anything more than a few mm.

EDIT: Actually, on second glance, the small frame has got 2˚ difference between the head and seat angles, so there would be a bit more reduction in reach for a longer steerer.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    buy a bike that fits.

You will comprimise control and handling by trying to make an oversize bike fit.
  • lost_in_thought
    edited June 2010
    rjsterry wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

You make a valid point.

Looking at the geometry

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/model/bowery.fmx/4867/38989/

you've only got half a degree between the seat and head angles, so a taller steerer will make you sit up more, but not really bring the bars closer by anything more than a few mm.

EDIT: Actually, on second glance, the small frame has got 2˚ difference between the head and seat angles, so there would be a bit more reduction in reach for a longer steerer.

Now, if I'd bought a small, it'd fit me. Trouble is, I bought a medium...

EDIT: This is my one:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 274/29363/
  • Aidy
    Think I've got a fork kicking about with a reasonably long steerer on it (I've got 220mm in my head), if you'd like to see if a longer steerer fixes things without shelling out.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    that bike is one creaky mofo. just get a nice shiney new one :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • lost_in_thought

It's not its fault it's creaky! Poor old Bowery.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863

See that bit about "if you get lucky"... :-)

Buy a new frame from a shop or builder (eg On-one, Ribble, Planet-X) and it'll come bare. Get one from ebay or a recycler and there's a fair chance it'll come with something useable. Similarly with headsets.
    Fitting a standard BB is pretty straightforward, though, and you might want to hold off getting one until you have the wheels and cranks ready, so that you can pick the axle length that sorts your chainline out for you, if necessary.

The thread's titled what would you do: I'd look for a nice steel frameset, the right size and with horizontal dropouts. Preferably with a useable headset & BB to fit my cranks.

I'd build it up with the bits from the old bike, fitting new where necessary. Then, if the headset or BB needed sorting (and I didn't have the parts or tools to do it myself), I'd take it down to the LBS and get them to finalise the details.

I've posted before some tips for finding decent old steel frames- looking for likely brands, stickers and details like forged dropouts that tend to be on better quality kit.

Cheers,
    W.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

It's not its fault it's creaky! Poor old Bowery.

And we know whose fault that is don't we? Eh :lol:

(bet the Maxima needs a clean as well.....)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Norky wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Got my 'lady' qualification

What's a "lady qualification"?

It means I can't make comments that would be considered 'blokish'. Apparently that's a result of spending way too much time with my 3 older brothers in my formative years. Girly stuff I don't do as a rule, so am trying to adapt.

Hmm, trousers and a top, beer, raucous/salacious behaviour, admiration of toned body parts - apparently not 'girly'. Now and again I make an effort til I'm with 'my boys' then I'm an honorary bloke :)
  • Cafewanda
    PBo wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

Got my 'lady' qualification earlier this morning so feel able to respond

???? :?

I've no idea what you mean.

It sounds like a female euphemism for time of the month....

Ok, I'm weird, I know....

Don't do euphemisms for 'that' and yes you are :lol:
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Awww wanda, you'll always be a burd to me ;)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Cafewanda
    That's only because you can abuse me and get away with it cos I can't reach high enough to knock you out :lol: :P

That is NOT an invitation for anybody else to join him
    :twisted:

ENNYway: LiT get a new bike, right size and rebuld abused Bowery as a project. Then you can talk me through my yet-to-start build project :wink:
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Now and again I make an effort til I'm with 'my boys' then I'm an honorary bloke :)

Obviously you need to see if you qualify:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12636698

:wink:
  • lost_in_thought
    Hmmmmmm
    membership requires you to pass 5 of the following parameters:

any proper bloke should :

1. have a driving license (to include hgv of course), Yep, but not HGV.
    2. have a job, Yep
    3. not live with their folks (unless there is a good reason). Yep
    4. have a bird/wife/chick/husband/boyfriend. Yep-ish.
    5. have surgery scars. Yep, several. And non-surgery ones, which are more a mark of bloke-ness.
    6. have blown something up (not just a balloon). Yep
    7. know how to strip and reassemble a browning 9mm pistol whilst blindfolded. It can't be that hard...
    8. be able to operate a sledge hammer efficiently (even when striking above head height). Yep
    9. have been bottled/punched/stabbed without falling down. Yep
    10. be able to repair and service their own car/bike/lorry/plant equiment. To what extent?
    I'm beginning to wonder if I'm actually Dave the Trucker after all... :shock:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    4. have a bird/wife/chick/husband/boyfriend. Yep-ish.
    Who-ish?

F-buddy.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lost_in_thought

See that bit about "if you get lucky"... :-)

Buy a new frame from a shop or builder (eg On-one, Ribble, Planet-X) and it'll come bare. Get one from ebay or a recycler and there's a fair chance it'll come with something useable. Similarly with headsets.
    Fitting a standard BB is pretty straightforward, though, and you might want to hold off getting one until you have the wheels and cranks ready, so that you can pick the axle length that sorts your chainline out for you, if necessary.

The thread's titled what would you do: I'd look for a nice steel frameset, the right size and with horizontal dropouts. Preferably with a useable headset & BB to fit my cranks.

I'd build it up with the bits from the old bike, fitting new where necessary. Then, if the headset or BB needed sorting (and I didn't have the parts or tools to do it myself), I'd take it down to the LBS and get them to finalise the details.

I've posted before some tips for finding decent old steel frames- looking for likely brands, stickers and details like forged dropouts that tend to be on better quality kit.

Cheers,
    W.

It's all so logical, Buns, I can't fault it.

But I really don't know that I have a) the knowledge or b) the patience. It's things like 'a BB to fit my cranks' that fill me with horror... and I happen to know that horizontal dropouts don't occur that regularly on second hand frames.

So a new frame, perhaps? Which I can get a BB for? Which fits it and my cranks? Any ideas peeps?
  • Aidy
    I do particularly enjoy the DDD-baiting. :)
  • lost_in_thought
    Aidy wrote:

fishing.gif

Oh and just spotted the fork offer! That's most kind, what diameter thingymabob is it?
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    edited June 2010
    LiT,

If ever you have two or more options, and one of those options is "buy a new bike", then surely the correct option is always "buy a new bike?"

I see DDD is once again taking an interest in your personal affairs, so I will now sit back with a bucket of popcorn and watch the next chapter unfold. I dunno, you two are like Benedick and Beatrice...
    Rules are for fools.
  • rjsterry
    I think the idea of getting a replacement bike (that fits) and then using the Bowery as a 'teaching aid' repair project sounds like a good plan. You get to ride a nice new bike (that fits), some new bike maintenance skills, and potentially at least cover your repair costs, and the Bowery gets its dignity back. Winwinwinwin.

@Waddlie: Ain't that the truth.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Aidy
    Aidy wrote:

fishing.gif

Oh and just spotted the fork offer! That's most kind, what diameter thingymabob is it?

1 1/8th. And for a 57mm drop brake calliper, I think.
  • Cafewanda
    1. have a driving license (to include hgv of course), Yep
    2. have a job, Yep
    3. not live with their folks (unless there is a good reason). Yep
    4. have a bird/wife/chick/husband/boyfriend. Nope
    5. have surgery scars. Yep
    6. have blown something up (not just a balloon). Nope
    7. know how to strip and reassemble a browning 9mm pistol whilst blindfolded. Nope
    8. be able to operate a sledge hammer efficiently (even when striking above head height). Once upon a time.
    9. have been bottled/punched/stabbed without falling down. Nope
    10. be able to repair and service their own car/bike/lorry/plant equiment. Hmm. Basic.