What would you do?

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Ladies and gentlespoons, I find myself in a bit of a quandary.

I am the (relatively) proud owner of a Giant Bowery.

The old boy's served me well, but has not been looked after. Not at all, really.

His chain is made up of the left-over bits of 3 (possibly more) chains, in places it's stretched, in other places not so much. His freewheel is now a fixed gear (not that I use it). His hubs make awful grindy noises when you spin the wheels. When you attach the frankenchain, the cranks make even more awful grindy noises.

His biggest problem, however, is that he's too big for me.

Now, there are 2 approaches to these issues:

1. Repair/replace all the above, and buy a new fork, don't cut the steerer tube thingo and see if that rectifies the too-big-ness. I've already replaced the stem, it's now 90mm, and got compact short-reach bars. The new fork will also rectify some of the weight issue - the current one looks aero but is made of pig iron.

2. Buy a new fixie.

Now, I'm leaning towards option 1. There's nothing wrong with any of the non-moving parts of the bike, and I reckon I can work with the somewhat-too-big-ness. Especially with a new fork.

But am I being daft? I may need to do a fair bit of work on the bike, a lot of it I can't do myself. How much is this going to cost me?

Is there a third way that I haven't thought of?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Service the hubs (free and easy), replace the chain (they are consumables so you should never begrudge a bike a new chain), keep an eye open for random bonkers bargain forks and buy when you find one rather than now (unless there are bargains now).

You need to do the first two things anyway to sell the bike (and you should be doing the same in time on a new fixie if you bought one so tut tut tut for letting the Giant go to pot in the first place!). The fork is a risk unless you get it cheaply incase the fit is still off but you'll be more inclined to give it a go once you've got the thing running smoothly again.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd ride the Tifosi everywhere!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    You didn't say in what way it was too big. Too much reach to the bars? I suppose a longer steerer would reduce the reach slightly, but not as much as a shorter stem, which you've already done. Think I'd agree with Rolf F on this one.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    See ribblecycles.co.uk for cheap carbon road forks
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... EDAFORR200

mmmm aero carbon :wink:
    DEDAFORR200_1_zoom.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    itboffin wrote:

DEDAFORR200_1_zoom.jpg

I've got those on my TT-Uber-fast-commuter-of-doom bike. Very stiff.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564

Is there a third way that I haven't thought of?

Of course. Buy a new fixie, this will give you plenty of time to deal with the Giant...
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    2. Buy a new fixie

3. Buy a new fixed instead !
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Track bike, track bike, track bike!

Seriously, you should be able to do up the bowery and adjust it to fit. Those forks ITB linked look pretty good for the money. You may want to check the wear on the rims to make sure they're not on the way out (both CP and OddJob have had rim failures lately) as they are a couple of years old...

Oh, frankenchain :lol:

Edit: when I built up my planet-x I took it to my LBS to get the fork steerer cut. They charged me the princely sum of five pounds.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Wot they sed.

Got my 'lady' qualification earlier this morning so feel able to respond
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    buy a bike that fits you
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Got my 'lady' qualification

What's a "lady qualification"?
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Cafewanda wrote:

???? :?

I've no idea what you mean.

It sounds like a female euphemism for time of the month....

Ok, I'm weird, I know....
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Is it just me who finds it interesting that your bike is male? Someone is about to re-read your original post and say something rude.

If your hubs are that bad, they'll need replacing as the bearing surfaces will be pitted. It might be possible to get new innards but its a real hassle and if they came as part of a complete bike, they may be annoyingly difficult to source.

If the whole hub does need replacing, it will be a toss up as to which is cheaper - new wheels or one/two new hubs laced to the existing rims.

If you are also looking at new forks and a new chain, how close are you to the £400 cost of a new Bowery? At least half way, I would have thought.

So, is £200 worth getting the right size and foregoing all of the faff of fixing up your old one? You would probably be able to strip down the old one and sell the frame for £50 on ebay. Or use it to clutter up your garage/shed to give that "I'm a cyclist and this is my workshop" feel. Cetainly, it may be helpful in time to have the spares from the old one.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Looks like you've got a fair length of steerer there already?
    Throwing more spacers on to bring the bars up will alter the geometry a bit, too many will make it handle like a pig.

Hubs should be plenty serviceable, and um yes, things would probably be better without the frankenchain. :)

I wouldn't have thought that there was really anything you couldn't do yourself.

I'd be pretty inclined to go with option 1; it won't really cost that much and you'd be dealing with a known quantity, rather than a new bike with new niggles to sort.
  • lost_in_thought
    Is it just me who finds it interesting that your bike is male? Someone is about to re-read your original post and say something rude.

If your hubs are that bad, they'll need replacing as the bearing surfaces will be pitted. It might be possible to get new innards but its a real hassle and if they came as part of a complete bike, they may be annoyingly difficult to source.

If the whole hub does need replacing, it will be a toss up as to which is cheaper - new wheels or one/two new hubs laced to the existing rims.

If you are also looking at new forks and a new chain, how close are you to the £400 cost of a new Bowery? At least half way, I would have thought.

So, is £200 worth getting the right size and foregoing all of the faff of fixing up your old one? You would probably be able to strip down the old one and sell the frame for £50 on ebay. Or use it to clutter up your garage/shed to give that "I'm a cyclist and this is my workshop" feel. Cetainly, it may be helpful in time to have the spares from the old one.

This is what I mean, is the cost of replacing (potentially) the wheels (and given how lax I am at replacing brake pads it's a possibility that the rims may be knackered), the forks, potentially a new bottom bracket with fitting etc ('cause I'm not sure if I could do much of it myself) such that I may as well cut my losses and buy a new bike that fits me?

How much would doing that work cost, if I just took it to a LBS and said 'do all of the above kthxbai'?
  • lost_in_thought
    itboffin wrote:

DEDAFORR200_1_zoom.jpg

Do forks come in varying sizes?
  • lost_in_thought
    rjsterry wrote:
    You didn't say in what way it was too big. Too much reach to the bars? I suppose a longer steerer would reduce the reach slightly, but not as much as a shorter stem, which you've already done. Think I'd agree with Rolf F on this one.

Yep, top tube too long for my stupid short back. Only by about 3cm now that I've replaced teh stem etc but I feel it in my spine by the end of the week!

As for servicing hubs, I wouldn't know where to start!
  • always_tyred

This is what I mean, is the cost of replacing (potentially) the wheels (and given how lax I am at replacing brake pads it's a possibility that the rims may be knackered), the forks, potentially a new bottom bracket with fitting etc ('cause I'm not sure if I could do much of it myself) such that I may as well cut my losses and buy a new bike that fits me?

How much would doing that work cost, if I just took it to a LBS and said 'do all of the above kthxbai'?
    Well, you live in London, where plumbers are in the 40% tax bracket and a decent bicycle mechanic no doubt commands an hourly rate similar to a solicitor up here.
  • Aidy

Steerer tubes can be different diameters, the axle to crown length can be different, and so can the rake.
  • rjsterry
    PBo wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

???? :?

I've no idea what you mean.

It sounds like a female euphemism for time of the month....

Ok, I'm weird, I know....

LiT addressed the OP to ladies and gentlespoons.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• lost_in_thought
    Aidy wrote:
    Looks like you've got a fair length of steerer there already?
    Throwing more spacers on to bring the bars up will alter the geometry a bit, too many will make it handle like a pig.

Hubs should be plenty serviceable, and um yes, things would probably be better without the frankenchain. :)

I wouldn't have thought that there was really anything you couldn't do yourself.

I'd be pretty inclined to go with option 1; it won't really cost that much and you'd be dealing with a known quantity, rather than a new bike with new niggles to sort.

You're massively overestimating my mechanical abilities. :D
  • lost_in_thought
    Aidy wrote:

Steerer tubes can be different diameters, the axle to crown length can be different, and so can the rake.

Oh good. :?
  • Aidy
    Aidy wrote:

Oh good. :?

If you get the steerer tube diameter right, they'll all fit - axle to crown and rake will alter the geometry/handling a bit.
  • always_tyred
    rjsterry wrote:

Yep, top tube too long for my stupid short back. Only by about 3cm now that I've replaced teh stem etc but I feel it in my spine by the end of the week!

I would start by taking the wheels off.
  • lost_in_thought
    rjsterry wrote:

I would start by taking the wheels off.

I am going to walk out of this office, cycle to Ealing, get in my car, drive to wherever it is you live and kick you in the shins.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    If I were you I'd probably be leaning towards a new one, especially if you'd be getting someone else to do the work. Cost is heading that way and you'll still have the wrong size when you're done.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    So, is £200 worth getting the right size and foregoing all of the faff of fixing up your old one?

An appropriate fine for wanton bike neglect! And a reminder not to do it again!

Hub service vids on You Tube.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    Cheap new pair of wheels £60-80. New cheap BB £20. New chain £15. Willing accomplice to help fit the above £lunch + couple of pints maybe, there must be someone who you can bribe/cajole if the LBS is too pricey.

=> bike ready to sell, then take CP's advice. I can't see some extra long Thorn-style steerer is going to make for a happy riding position + you'd probably need to take the old fork out and measure it or do some research on the original specs to find exactly what will fit.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863

I don't know... but my guess would be "too much".

My feeling is that it isn't sensible to put much money into a bike that doesn't fit. If you are cobbling together parts for a winter hack then fair enough- get 'em off ebay, friends and local bike reyclers and you're sorted but it looks to me as if you are after a regular commuting ride, here, so you'll be spending a bit of time together.

How about getting a decent frame that fits you and reusing the good bits from the Bowery: You'll probably need new wheels, from the sound of it, and "consumables" like the chain, sprockets and BB but the brakes, seat+post, 'bars+stem, cranks+pedals, 'guards(?), tyres+tubes etc add up to a fair bit of the cost of a new bike.

You are probably going to be out for the cost of the wheels anyway, and if you get lucky buying a frame you could end up with a really nice, cheap bike that fits properly.

Does that sound like a third option?

Depends how much you want to do the fettling- if that'll be a fun weekend with the deeply satisfying result that you are riding something you built yourself then it's a good option. If it's going to take two weekends that you'd much rather spend doing something else and leave you thinking that you arn't confident of the build, then maybe you'd be better off flogging the Bowery as a project and buying something that's all set up and working from the off. Don't forget to get bullhorns, BTW! :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    Sell it.

I'm not understanding how different forks are going to make the top tube any shorter...